IMDb > Invasion of the Star Creatures (1962) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Invasion of the Star Creatures

Some reviewers will never learn! This is a stupidfest for those who are capable of enjoying it!!!

Author: KGB-Greece-Patras
15 July 2003

!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!HATRED FOR WANNA-BE CRITICS AHEAD!!!!!!!!!

I can't understand why someone would even bother to write a bad review for this one. A movie that begins with the title

" R. I. Diculous presents... an impossible picture........ "

can't be beaten in any level, except perhaps in its own "genre" of stupid B-films that DON'T take themselves too seriously. This one certainly doesn't.

So, enough with all your serious reviews and your politically correct opinions. Go and rate some more films to get satisfaction by judging what you wouldn't ever be able to make and leave the review section for us movie lovers!

This is by no means recommended..... UNLESS you watch along with some friends, a special mood for this type of "humour" and of course....... BEER (or other kind of booze, anyway!) ENJOY!

Ball and Ray, all the way!!

Author: rufasff from Los Angeles CA
18 April 2002

Most bad comedies are hard to take, this four sheets to wind, jaw dropping, "I-must-be-dreaming" Stupidfest is, for some of us, a kind of movie heaven.

"Invasion" is still kind of hard to find (I went ten bucks for a bootlegged copy on ebay), it's never been issued on video, it was a bottom feeder even for A.I.P. Interestingly, a lot of mint condition poster and promotional stuff also turns up on ebay, suggesting the was pulled out of release(understandable) and sent to the T.V. showers early on.

I think Director Bruno Ve Sota, who does a cameo, really was the poor man's Orson Welles, his interesting career included staring in, and perhaps co-directing, the cult film "Dementia" (aka "Daughter Of Horror). Bob Ball, the even sillier half of Invasion's comic duo, ended up in the mime troupe in "Easy Rider." Anyway, "Invasion" like the hard to find "Ghost Of Dragstrip Hollow", is worth the hunt. Space Commander Conners wants you!

Silly and Stupid but Fun

Author: Space_Mafune from Newfoundland, Canada
21 August 2003

Basically this film is a ridiculously silly spoof of 50s style sci-fi film cheapies. It stars Robert Ball & Frankie Ray, a poor man's imitation of Abbott and Costello, as incompetent army privates sent to investigate a mysterious radioactive cave in which they discover 7 foot plant men (yeah just guys in ridiculous costumes--there's some unintentionally funny moments later when they toss around boulders!) and 2 7-foot Space babes named Dr. Tanga (Gloria Victor) & Professor Puna (Dolores Reed) , who rather resemble some meaty lady pro wrestlers, bent on taking over the Earth and who seem to be well under way to doing so until our hero Pvt. Philbrick (Robert Ball) messes up Professor Puna's reactions by kissing her giving our heroes the chance to escape with the plant men in pursuit...actually this was fun, incredibly silly mindless stupid fun but fun nonetheless. This was actually written by Jonathan Haze and directed by Bruno Ve Sota...two old Corman/AIP mainstays.

Will I ever grow up?

Author: Sum Flounder from Vancouver, Canada
21 February 2002

I must have been about eight years old when I saw this on TV in the sixties. I was hesitant to watch it because I was home alone and the title seemed kind of scary. I watched it anyway and my initial reaction was that it seemed really odd. When I saw it again (and again and again)as an adult, I came to realize that a good deal of that oddness can be attributed to the low budget of the film(minimal cast,cheap sets,crude monsters and tacky - but distinctive - music). The box office appeal of the two voluptuous "galaxy gals" who were spearheading the invasion was also lost on me as a kid, as were the references to early television and the then-fledgling space program. Still, the overall kookiness of the whole thing really appealed to me at that tender age and it still does(I have a VHS copy my friend "The Alien" recorded off TV). Since, as I type this there is only one other comment for this film, there must be an awful lot of people out there who haven't seen it. The story involves a pair of dimwit army privates who discover that Dr. Poona and Proffessor Tanga(really!), two amazonian women from another world are in the early stages of planning an attack on the earth, aided by their army of "vege-men." Because their story is so fantastic(and they're so stupid)our two G.I. Jokers can't get their superiors to take action, so it's up to them to save the day. Sub-Three Stooges slapstick and brain-damaged dialogue can be found throughout,and it can't be over-emphasized that this is a very cheaply made movie. That said, I really enjoyed this film as a kid and I like it now.

I thought I only imagined seeing this...

Author: zillabob from United States
27 October 2008

This was one of those films that got a ton of play on the airwaves in the early 1970's, usually on the "4am Movie" or one time, on the 7:30 PM "Channel 6 Big Movie" and still another on Creature Double Feature.WHen local channels used to run movies as part of their local programming(mostly gone today in favor of infomercial time) It was of the time. A couple of low-rent Abbott and Costello wannabees(Frankie Ray and Robert Ball) are in a platoon of soldiers(half a dozen guys in Army Surplus remainders) who are sent on field maneuvers to look into some strange radiation, and wind up encountering extraterrestrials. They first go into Bronson Canyon to what would be later the famous Batcave on BATMAN, and encounter the remains of a dead "carrot monster". Later, in the cave they're chased by a living carrot creature-basically a guy in black suit and paper mache head, with sparkly things on it and ping-pong ball eyes. Two of them-complete geeks,Ray and Ball-are captured and wake up tied to tables and are being "examined" by space amazons-Dr Poona(nooo kidding!) and Professor Tanga who are stunningly beautiful and even moreso in their skimpy bikini "uniforms". We were too young at the time,to realize what later bondage and fetish scenarios this "examination" scene would more than suggest. Turns out that the two gals and their carrot monster, are stranded on earth with a ship that's well hidden and are trying to return to their world.

The film was made as a total comedy with varying degrees of taste but remember this was of the time when Eric Von Zipper and his crew from Frankie and Annette's films, were the height of B-film, drive-in comedy.So it only seemed a natural to jump on the bandwagon for some quick bucks.

For some reason I only thought I'd imagined seeing this film to start with. No, I really saw it. And when it was released on "restored" DVD I was assured in my memory. The comedy goes from mildly funny to just plain stupid, but whatever.The budget is non-existent, which, is a minor miracle when you think about it, that it even got made and we can talk about a "restored" version here and now-over 40 years later. The payoff is the girls who want to learn about "love" and "kissing" and, the upshot is the geeks-which all of us were- get the girls and love wins out. It's just goofy and silly and for the locations, has nostalgic significance.

Pea-brained would-be sci-fi comedy.

Author: EyeAskance from fabulous Las Vega$!
7 June 2004

Even at age 10 I felt like the Mayor of Moronville for actually staying up late and sitting through this gonzo flick. Something of a sci-fi genre parody, it has the usual bumbling male leads falling all over themselves trying to gain the adoration of some comely moon-cuties. On the prowl in this schlock are a couple of lumbering fellows in Danskin tights with potato sacks on their heads(the so-called "Star Creatures" of the title)

For even aspiring to be as little as lowbrow camp, this is actually a pretty rough ride. If I had seen this at a drive-in in 1963, I surely would have driven my vehicle full-speed through the movie screen in a fit of consternation(or at least demanded my eighty cents back). Perhaps today, as an adult, I'd have a better time with "Invasion of the Star Creatures"(Bacardi 151 in hand, of course...)

**UPDATE, May 2010** I did indeed revisit this sub-B movie, and as I suspected, it actually IS a more worthy watch today as a cultural artifact. One particular line of dialog is exemplary of this -

"...wow...that's the first time a salad's ever tossed *ME*!".

That one probably brought forth a few weak chuckles in '63...presently, some folks might fall on the floor in hysterics...

3.5/10

Giant Carrot Men and Buxom Babes

Author: Don (scifiguy-2) from Las Vegas, NV
21 August 1999

I have fond memories of seeing this several times in the early 1970s. As of 1999, it's still unavailable on video. Most of it was shot at the Bronson Caves, which was used as a location for dozens of sci-fi movies in the '50s, and is still used today. The plot is derivative of all sci-fi from the 50s, but more amusing than many of it's predecessors. If you can enjoy "Fire Maidens From Outer Space" or "Missile to the Moon" you'll get a kick out of this.

When are the star creatures going to kidnap me?!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
8 May 2006

I stopped short of giving "Invasion of the Star Creatures" 10/10 due to some cringe-inducing scenes involving Indians. Other than that, it's pure corny sci-fi fun. In this case, a pair of loopy soldiers find a cave housing two sexy women sent from another planet to colonize earth. Naturally, the soldiers try to stop the colonization.

Personally, if those two babes were going to take over the world, I would immediately submit! And moreover, this movie was clearly intended more as a comedy, with the sorts of lines that one expects in a Laurel and Hardy movie. As long as we understand the stereotyping of Native Americans here, we can enjoy the rest of the movie.

Tanga and Puna! Hubba hubba...

Classic!!!

Author: Hwrightca from SF California
24 October 2004

This movie is on the top of my list for must get a copy of!! My TV tape is long since been worn out. I would love to find a good copy on DVD.

Many people mentioned the stereotypes and how offensive it is...geez...its kinda the point with this movie. I mean when the alien chick pulls the "kiss? What's kiss?" line, you gotta know they were going for parody city here!

My favorite thing is the long pauses between dialoge with Philbert and the poor mic treatment. It sounds like they had only one boom for a huge room so everyones voices are picked up at different levels...pretty funny.

I give this one two snaps in Z formation. It is that good!

Invasion of the Star Creatures

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
28 December 2009

Slapsticky sci-fi spoof regarding bumbling, inept Army Private yahoos and their shenanigans involving tall, long-legged femalien bombshells in tight, skimpy space outfits whose race plans to conquer Earth so they can colonize. A star vehicle for Robert Ball and Frankie Ray seems like a way for introducing them as a comedy team. Since I have no knowledge of them until watching this movie, they must've not succeeded. Dimestore f/x and sets are more appropriate here because it plays(strains?) strictly for laughs(..imagine 1920's special effects and costumes in the vein of the Flash Gordon serials). Not a lick of sincerity as this solely aims to please, with plenty of sex jokes(tame as tame can be). An ongoing joke has various characters discussing their Space Commander Conners Secret Decoder rings and rank, becoming rather laborious after repeated trips to the well. Wait until you get a load of the "vegimen"(creatures grown from plants by the femaliens)costumes. There are attempts by Ball and Ray to seek assistance to stop the femaliens(Gloria Victor and Dolores Reed, two towering beauties who have to bend down when they eventually experiment with kissing Earth men to understand such an unusual custom)from their superior officer and Native Americans(!)in the hopes to preventing the space ship from blasting off to the home planet to inform of Earth's easy habitability. How one approaches this comedy is a tolerance for the film's brand of comedy, the zany antics of Ball and Ray. A lot of the film is shot at and around Bronson Caves. In the spirit of Abbot & Costello and The Three Stooges, but not quite successful, despite the efforts of a cast doing their best with mediocre material.