IMDb > Tactical Assault (1998) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Tactical Assault (V) More at IMDbPro »

" Rutger Hauer Wants Revenge " ...

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
8 March 2005

... Said the continuity announcer as TACTICAL ASSAULT was about to be broadcast . After seeing the first two minutes I started thinking Rutger might want to get a new agent . After seeing the next ten minutes I started thinking Rutger might want to retire thereby saving a potential audience from any more of his performances

Yup this is a truly terrible movie . I wasn't expecting much and why should I if the name Rutget Hauer appeared in the credits , but within seconds of the opening title credits that featured NATO warplanes with USSR markings bombing Bosnia I realised I was going to be force fed inedible turkey three months after Christmas .

The attention to detail is non existent . NATO planes carry USSR markings then were told Hauer's character spent six years in an Iraqi prison which would make the setting 1997 . What NATO were bombing the Serbs in 1997 ! I guess the producers didn't think the audience would have noticed this ridiculous inaccuracy but I know I did . The producers also probably hoped the audience wouldn't notice the lack of continuity such as dogfights with Iraqi jets that suddenly turned from Migs to F-4 Phantoms then back again but I did . Even stranger characters would take off in F-16s then when they arrive back at base there jet has changed into a Soviet built Mig

Oh and if you're expecting a dumb action movie you're only half right because it's dumb but most of the plot centres around a BASIC INSTINCT revenge plot . I'll give the producers some credit ( Maybe credit is too strong a word ) because after seeing plots featuring nannies from hell , policemen from hell , flat mates from hell we now have a fighter pilot from hell which means every single occupation of the 20th century has featured in a from hell type plot with perhaps TATICAL ASSUALT being the worst movie of the lot

Mitchell burns up the screen!

Author: ismitje from Pullman, WA
27 October 1999

It's as if the Stay-Puffed Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters had been reincarnated in Rutger Hauer's body and is taking revenge upon a rival's pregnant wife! If seeing an obese Hauer chase a very pregnant Isabel Glaser (imagine the spine-tingling thrills in that contest) sounds good to you, see this film! Seriously, if Hauer is what an Iraqi POW looks like after six years in prison, then hungry people everywhere should make a bee line to a jail in Baghdad. Overall "Tactical Assault" rates 2 stars instead of 1 because Mike Mitchell as Hawk is terrific. Mitchell burns up the screen as a NATO pilot until his plane is burned up itself (by an enemy missle), whereupon the film loses what little verve it had to begin with.

Dialogue generated by a "Speak & Spell".

Author: mikestewart74 from United Kingdom
8 March 2005

This movie is astonishingly poor. It was on television when I tuned in during an action scene and was chuckling away at the cheesy macho dialogue, waiting for Leslie Nielsen to appear. It took me a couple of minutes to realise that it wasn't actually a comedy, it was meant to be taken seriously. What has to be remembered is that somebody actually sat down and wrote this movie, and worse still - other people funded it and gave it the green light.

Rutger Hauer obviously doesn't read movie scripts before he signs up, either that or he has some seriously bad debts to pay.

Strangely, this film is so poor, that you find yourself staring at it, wondering how it actually got funded, and how a TV channel must have paid money for the rights to air it. The dialogue between hero and baddie whilst trying to shoot each other out of the sky is particularly painful, with dialogue sounding like it was generated by a Texas Intruments "Speak & Spell".

The Hollywood money machine at it's worst. Funny though.

Taking on among two crack fighter pilots full of dogfighting and impressive aerial action

Author: ma-cortes
15 April 2011

The movie contains a plethora of action scenes, explosion, blast, aircraft battles with various jet-planes flying to sound-velocity . USA captain John 'Doc' Holiday (Rutger Hauer) was fired during the Gulf War , he loses it under pressure after a fatal incident with a civil airliner over an Iraqi 'no fly zone' , as he nearly shoots down an unarmed passengers airplane . Pilot Banning is forced to shoot down Doc's jet instead save the situation. Unsettling Air Force pilot Holiday looks for destroy the life of his former commandant , who shot him down during the Gulf War to stop him from shooting on unauthorized civilian targets. In Bosnian front commanded by a General ( Ken Howard ), the squad leader is Colonel Lee Banning (Robert Patrick) , he gets him to be reactivated for the service depending on further therapy led by a Doctor (Dey Young) . Deranged Holiday however doesn't see things that way , he feels Lee decommissioned his career, as Doc decides to get avenge on Lee and will stop at noting for vendetta , neither sabotage nor target Banning's pregnant spouse (Isabel Glasser).

This is an average action movie with suspense, thrills, dogfighting with spectacular flight scenes and some commercial elements. The story provides entertainment and action with no sense but sometimes is a little bit boring and dull . Mediocre-budget extended adventures produced about a maverick pilot and his deranged partner undergoing risked feats on air and earth . A standard actioner packed with aerial action , intrigue , and spectacular dogfighting . Robert Patrick shows professionalism as happily married crack fighter pilot , assigned to chase the rebel pilot and ex-partner . Full of jingoist ideals, dubious ethics and violent vengeance . Regular action film in what's really a revenge psycho-thriller . Filmed in Budapest (Hungary) and desert of Mojave (USA) . The film moves like a supersonic bullet for most of its running time and the last generation Jets steal the show. Contrived beyond belief with spectacular dogfights that play like video games, but slickly calculated to please 2000s audiences. The movie follows the wake of ¨Top Gun¨, ¨Iron Eagle I¨ and sequels. The motion picture is regularly directed by Mark Griffits who in the 80s directed films as ¨Hardbodies I, II , Ultraviolet , or Running hot¨ , while in the 90 and 2000 only directs TV movies. Rating : Below average , 4 .

We are not idiots

Author: Arccos from Czech republic
3 August 2005

Well, this movie shows us that Mark Griffiths and producers think we all are idiots. If not how should we understand this:

American pilots take off on Mig-29s. Suddenly all aircrafts turn to F-16s. Ha, a magic! After an action... Migs land. The magic again!

Oh, did I mention that F-16s had Israel markings?

Another magic: obviously unarmed L-39 trainers are bombing enemies.

And more magic: while all movie is situated in Europe, we can see a desert in almost any flying scene.

Maybe the director wasted all his magic on things above, because action scenes are incredibly chaotic and also explosions look awfully as if pilots bombarded with molotovs.

OK, OK, this is a movie. I should write about its story... wait. A story? Yes there is SOME story in this film. And its horrible as well.

not worth the time investment

Author: Vincent from tampa, florida
25 May 2007

My Caddy Limo was destroyed!!! Well, I had one just like it - Drove the hoi polloi and many of the Chosen Ones around Manhattan for a few years.

That was a whole lot more entertaining than this movie I can tell you. Lordy, what a bomb - as in RPG go boom. I also drove a lot more stars in my white Caddy than appeared in this dud of a flick.

Robert Patrick is a very serious actor and did a credible job with the nonsense he had to work with. Unfortunately, Rutger Hauer played his part like a red-nosed circus clown. If he couldn't take it serious why should his audience? The director should have kicked his butt off the set in the first hour of filming.

The dialog was written by 10 yr old's for 8 yrs old's. Surprised there wasn't a whole lot more cracking up on the sets. Oh well, I am a movie fanatic - ergo - you must take the bad to get to the good.

Two great actors in a TERRIBLE movie

Author: vocklabruck from United States
29 September 2007

Well, you know... Rutger Hauer and Robert Patrick both are really good actors. But WTF with this movie? The story was lame and the script was just terrible. The poor actors didn't have material to work with!

The DVD cover invited you to a flight action flick. You would expect something like Top Gun... Huge disappointment! The flight action in this movie is so cheap that makes you puke. The aerial scenes are clearly taken from documentaries and some other footage sources, not made for this movie. And they didn't even care about the marks or the fighters models, taking for granted the audience will not notice it.

As I said the story was lame. With a little effort from the writer and director it could have been very interesting. In short, it seems a B-movie made in the 70's.

I feel very sorry for these actors who put their names here. They sure must be ashamed.

Robert Patrick Must Stop Fat Lazarus-Like Hauer!!

Author: Kevin (RCamp48845@aol.com) from United States
24 July 2005

Ahh yes, this is one of those films. You know the one. You're red-eyed and bleary with fatigue, but you just can't sleep. The dogs of insomnia outside your door. You flip the TV on at about 3am....this is the kind of movie you get.

The person who noted that Rutger Hauer looked pretty beefy for a POW is dead-on. Maybe they tied him down for those six years at a Chinese buffet or something. He's a hell of a guy though. He is an Air Force pilot, but he also has ninja skills riding on a truck and messing up missile programming, killing armed guards, and surviving tank explosions. There was also some pretty sad security on that military base. A fence a 12 year old could clime is all that stands between tanks that you can just jump in and ride. There are no guards there either? Robert Patrick goes into that munitions storage and comes out with an RPG which seems to magically reload itself. Hauer's tank also got off three shots....I thought a tank had to be reloaded after firing a shot? Hmm...

The dialogue in the last ten minutes was gold. Hauer has killed Patrick's squad...and is heading towards the base to kill his wife...who of course is on the exact floor he blasts his machine guns into. Patrick says something like: "You S.O.B., you're no pilot!" Well, Hauer's character is an S.O.B, and he is also crazy, but he is a pilot and all. That's how this whole thing started.

After Hauer's plane crashed into the water at the end, I expected him to spring out of the water, ala Jason in the first Friday The 13th, as Patrick walked with his wife and newborn child.

What a disappointment!!!

Author: Irish Angel from BE
30 March 2001

'Tactical Assault' is the first movie I've seen in which Robert Patrick plays the 'good guy'. Sigh sigh, because I started to hate it! But I'm here to talk about 'Tactical Assault'. And it wàs a disappointment! Where was the action I expected? And the cover of the video showed a Mig or F-15, whatever, but didn't they use F-16's ALL THE TIME??? Jeezes, if you make a movie about jets and such, try make it GOOD. To those who like that genre - I am amongst them - I seriously recommend to see 'Iron Eagle' once again, to forget this horrible experience. Too bad, actually, because Robert Patrick is a great actor. And I kinda expected a lot from this movie...!

Uniforms, etc

Author: DJO189Doke from United States
4 July 2007

Magnus, I too was annoyed that no one on the set noticed the USAF doctor had one of her shoulder boards backwards. It was also a joke to see Hauer stuffed into that tight USAF uniform with his long hair. Whatever happened to preparing for a movie role? Hauer definitely needed to drop about 40 lbs and get a freakin military haircut.

I enjoyed the aircraft scenes but it could have been a much better movie is someone had paid more attention to detail. Top Gun wasn't a whole lot better when it came to an F-14 in one scene with certain types of missiles and fuel pods, then in the next scene, what is suppose to be the same F-14, now has a completely different set up.

I think one of the best scenes of a military aircraft in a movie was the F-18 Hornet getting shot down by the missile in "Behind Enemy Lines" with Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman.

It is nice to see Robert Patrick doing such a good job now as the Colonel on the TV series, "The Unit".

Don