IMDb > Can't Hardly Wait (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Can't Hardly Wait

Can't Hardly Wait More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I loved it

Author: andres_babe14 from United States
10 February 2005

Can't Hardly wait was like one of the best movies ever! It inspired me to become a screenwriter. My name is Priscilla, I am fourteen years old and can't hardly wait touched me. The plot, the music, and the friendship between Preston and Denise. I really loved the hooker's words of wisdom about fate! It's so true "fate is there, but it only takes you so far because once you are there it's up to you to make it happen"-The angel hooker.

If you have not seen can't hardly wait and you have ever wanted to do something so bad, but you never got the chance to just remember if fate was willing to take you that far then take that chance! This movie is about love, fate and following your dreams. Fate clearly brought this movie and me together! I give it more than 10 stars!!!

everything a teen movie should be

Author: trthekeeper from United States
22 July 2005

this movie is one of my favorites not because its an epic crime movie, or a moving memory masterpiece (i heart alliteration), or even a funky unique cult movie- its just a damn good chick flick and my favorite one of all time. this is because 1. it has my former dream girl of all time Jennifer Love Hewitt in it, and 2. the protagonist- Preston is me pretty much or at least i think of him that way. its a simple movie, as should all chick flicks be. and I'm gonna go on a chick flick tangent now. you know you like chick flicks, how can you not? if your a guy reading this then deep down you know a chick flick at some point has made you smile, or even made you shed a tear even if you refuse to admit it. there's always gonna be a place for chick flicks in the movie world, because we all want that happy ending. sure some stuff is nice during the movie but it all leads to the climax, it all leads to the happy ending. and whats not to like about a happy ending? nothing. "cant hardly wait" has a freaking good ending by the way. I'm not gonna spoil it for you but you'll definitely smile at the end and that means the movie has done its job. plus Seth green makes a nice appearance as the "white guy that acts black". this movie has it all, or at least all that it should for what it is. i dunno what it is but i love this one.

Oh look, it's the 90s!

Author: bh_tafe3 from Australia
1 July 2014

Wow, Blink 182, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Seth Green, Tupac RIP references, Dharma (but not Greg) {Jenna Elfman}, that guy with the high pitched voice from Empire Records (Ethan Embry) and OMGZ!!! is that the little kid from Hook (1991) all grown up (Charles Korsmo)? Looks like this one's about the late 90s, and it's a decent example of a prime vintage.

I can't really explain the nostalgic value of seeing Jerry O'Connell drop in for a cameo, seeing Selma Blair get hit on by Mike Dexter, seeing Sabrina herself Melissa Joan Hart run around like a kid with ADHD and seeing Breckin Meyer ask us if "Anyone ordered a Love Burger?" But it is magic. And if you look really carefully, there's Jaime Pressley and Jason Segel, present at the role call as well.

When they were making this film they were looking for more than a fast hit, casting some popular young actors in a clichéd situation involving a party after the last day of High School. They made a film that encapsulated the time perfectly. Not just the fashions and attitudes, but the way movies were being made, and the way popular culture viewed the world. This movie was accurate to the time by showing its characters to be shallow, materialistic and oblivious. It didn't have anything to say about 90s teen culture, but caught what it was. While I don't give the film credit for its clichéd characterizations, I do give it credit for the way these clichés engage with each other into a coherent, though predictable whole.

The main story being told involves Amanda Beckett, who has just been dumped by her jock boyfriend Mike Dexter. Nerdy classmate Preston Meyers, flanked by his nerdy friend Denise Fleming, decides that this is the night, at the end of High School Party, to confess his love for Amanda. And that's pretty much it. There are a lot of subplots and minor characters but it all happens around the main narrative.

Ethan Embry, as Meyers, is pretty funny, Korsmo, as a vengeful nerd seeking revenge on Mike Dexter for a life time of cruel pranks is actually pretty good. Lauren Ambrose is decent as Denise, but her character is annoying and quite hypocritical. Most of the cast come across well in limited screen time, and some good cameos and funny scenes fort the trailer, with a theme by Smashmouth "I can't get Enough of you Baby," and it was a minor hit at the time it came out.

More than a decade later, Can't Hardy Wait is the ultimate nostalgia fix. It looks like a 90s movie, follows all the conventions of a 90s movie and is made like a 90s movie. Not intelligent, but still entertaining. I'll admit a personal bias, but still recommend it if you are a fan of the era.

Competent 90's teen comedy

Author: SnoopyStyle
22 October 2013

The high school seniors have just graduated, and they're having a blowout final party. Preston Meyers (Ethan Embry) is hopelessly infatuated with Amanda Beckett (Jennifer Love Hewitt). When she's dumped by her douche jock boyfriend Mike Dexter (Mike Dexter), Preston can't hardly wait to proclaim his love for Amanda.

It's nice to see some familiar faces when they were young. Ethan Embry does a pretty amiable teen. Jennifer Love Hewitt does this hurt face throughout the movie. She's hurt by the break up. She's hurt by the douche boyfriend's attitude. Then she goes nuclear on everybody. The best has to be perpetually short-tempered outsider Lauren Ambrose, and the over-compensating Seth Green.

However it's all too familiar. In the end, it's hard to see what Preston actually sees in Amanda other than an object on an unachievable pedestal. Does he really know her? She doesn't even know who his name. They probably never had two words together.

Love it

Author: ylopez4-1 from United States
30 January 2012

Wow, this movie is awesome I first saw it when it came out on the theaters and I was like man that is exactly how it is in highschool, out of all the characters I guess I can most relate to all of them each one had something, Peter Fascinelli was sooo hot, the type of guy I would have lust over but probably would have been anything with him, turned of if I were to ever even speak to him because he comes off as a duschbag, and then Ethan Embry comes in he is HOT!!!! and sweet and everything I guess I would like in a boyfriend. This movie is cute because all of these characters are all so diverse, you had the geek guy, that for one moment, was singing karaoke LOL and he was cool, The cool guy that for one moment was a total nerd LOL :) Jennifer Love Hewitt, yeah us girl at times we get so harassed that we don't know if they like us for ourselves or for our looks which sucks in really getting to know someone. Th red head hirl (lauren ambrose) came across really real like someone that didn't pretend to be anything, just herself that's pretty cool I liked her character, and I aldo like Seth green, cause he thought it was cool talking a certain way which really wasn't even him LOL i thought they made a cute couple :) its a great movie I give it a 9

A very special movie to me that changed my life forever.

Author: zeeboe82 from United States
27 May 2010

I first saw this movie in the winter of 1998 when I was 16. My sister and her friends were watching it and I was just in the living room, using the computer. I later watched it myself and liked it, but it was not until that following summer when I watched it again on HBO that the movie really effected me.

This film actually changed my life and my perspective of high school. You see, I was a very anti-social, shy and fat nerdy kid who was just miserable all the time, but after seeing "Can't Hardly Wait", I realized how not only short high school is, but how precious it is, along with the teen years and that I should enjoy it all while I can.

The movie takes place on the graduation day of some seniors in high school. They all go to this party and it's like a teen soap opera, minus the drama. Well, a little drama, but not too much. There are several main characters who have their own little adventures that night and grow as people. It's a coming-of-age movie.

I think anyone who enjoyed high school or were like me and really wanted to enjoy high school and appreciated it can relate to what's going on in "Can't Hardly Wait" and can understand the message and get what it's trying to tell you and can feel just as sad and sentimental as I do about it. I feel like the film's message is very simple: Don't let fate pass you by. You only get so many chances in life and life is very short. Nothing lasts forever so take advantage while you can, or at least fight trying.

It has a very bittersweet feel to it at times. It's all about growing up and moving on and saying goodbye to your youth and entering adulthood. This movie is hard movie for me to watch because it really makes me miss high school and my youth and I can't help but have some feelings of regret.

Don't get the wrong idea. This movie isn't all tears or nothing like that. It's a very fun movie full of laughs. It's just like how I feel when I watch "Rocky Balboa". That's a great and fun movie but it has a sad feel to it knowing that it is Rocky Balboa's final boxing match and with this movie, it's the final night of high school/teenhood/childhood innocence for a lot those characters and as I typed, if you enjoyed high school or wanted to, watching it can make you feel bittersweet.

Anyhow, I think every teenager should watch this and I hope they can learn the same lesson I learned from it and understand the message and will go out and try to enjoy high school. There's a reason why people have high school reunions and why some people lie as they age you know. I think almost all of us all along to return to those years or at least relive them as often as we can. So if you're a teenager, you're the envy of a lot of people. Don't mess this gift up. Go out and make the most of it.

What a Party!

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
25 January 2010

'Can't Hardly Wait' has nostalgic value for me and it is a really fun film. While it sort of centres around the Ethan Embry-Jennifer Love Hewitt romantic track. It is really the surroundings that are the major treat of this film. You'll see a host of upcoming talented actors, like Lauren Ambrose, Freddy Rodriguez, Peter Facinelli, Seth Green, Selma Blair, Clea Duvall, Seth Peterson, Jason Segel, Erik Palladino, Jaime Pressly, Sara Rue, Jenna Elfman, Melissa Joan Heart, Leslie Grossman and Donald Faison, either in supporting roles or making funny appearances by playing colourful characters. It's interesting to see the progress they made as actors over the year. Elfont and Kaplan's writing is amusing. The movie has plenty of slapstick and the jokes work brilliantly. Of the main cast, Embry and Love Hewitt are good but it is Lauren Ambrose, Charlie Korsmo and Seth Green who steal the show. I personally prefer 'Can't Hardly Wait' much more to overrated rubbish like 'American Pie', 'Ten Things I Hate About You', 'Never Been Kissed', 'Superbad' etc.

The ONE Teen Flick from the 90's I enjoyed (as a Teen)

Author: heyanerd from United States
26 July 2009

during the 90's there was a slew of movies of this Genre coming out. I had no interest in Freddie Prinze, Jr., The American Pie Cast or Rachel Leigh Cooke at the time...Not because they weren't talented, but because of the amount of fluff their names were attached to. As a Teenager, I could not relate to ANY of these Teen Flicks until "Can't Hardly Wait" came along. It was practically a Spoof with a Plot. I remember being happy about the Character's resolutions, and most of the characters were played by funny actors. I decided pre-Robot Chicken that Seth Green was a genius after this movie. Perhaps it is the way you recognize all these characters hitting their extremes as Caricatures that makes us want to keep watching this movie.

The other teen flick from the 90's I recommend is "10 Things I Hate About You." Again, another movie that goes overboard showing the High School experience, and doesn't force a sincerity that isn't there.

This does bring back memories

Author: LJStephens1980 (stephens.lucas90@yahoo.com) from Australia
17 May 2008

this came out in September '98, (Australia) I graduated High School in October '98, and can relate to everything that is in this film.

Whilst not in the same categories as Shawshank Redemption, or Casablanca, this is still for its genre a remarkable film. The cast in one word: perfect. Jenniffer Love-Hewitt obviously didn't have to act here... her Amanda is both likable, yet god! she doesn't know that prince charming aka: Preston Myers (Ethan (Embry) has pined for her, for four years!

Man! and if that weren't enough there are a load of real interesting sub-plot's in this film. Including the legendary Seth Green as a white homeboy, Kenny Fisher, who think's he black. He mainly interacts with another great actress, Lauren Ambrose, (who was also in Six-Feet Under, and a few others from this film). who's character Denise Fleming, doesn't want to be at the party at all. Without giving away, how she and Kenny (Seth Green) end up together, confronting how, and why there are no longer friends it's hilarious.

Another two interesting sub-plot's are the band: Love-burger, and the actions of the class nerd: William Lichter, are so goddamn funny!

For its genre, this is hard to top, other films, try but without much success. If you haven't seen it, then go get it. As for what happens to the major characters, the answer is simple: Fate, its brilliant and beautiful.

Great film, Seth Green makes a good film great.

Author: dobbin-4 from Australia
7 May 2008

The film is a good depiction on views on the future and sudden realizations before their life truly starts. The film is about the party after graduation involving nerds and jocks alike. Seth Green plays the "Cool in his own mind" type of guy and really makes this movie special. The main character is good as the nerd who just wants his break for once instead of being broke. As a nerd, it was good seeing what happened to the jocks. Overall, anybody anywhere will like this movie, it is funny, it is witty and the stars are just so numerous it becomes sort of a "Which star comes next" type of movie. I rate this film 72%.