"Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Saban's Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation" More at IMDbPro »"Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation" (original title)

Best left alone and forgotten

Author: crisisded from Montreal, QC
23 March 2008

Sometime in 1998, Saban had acquired the rights to produce a brand-new Ninja Turtles live-action series. Naturally, being a fan of the TMNT back in the day, this obviously peaked my interest. So when I started watching the show... to say I was disappointed by the end result is an understatement. Some time later (more like recently), I got a chance to revisit the series.

First off, let's talk about some of the positives. They managed to re-create the Turtles' lair as it was last seen in the movies fairly well given the limited budget they threw in with this. There tends to be this darker atmosphere overall in terms of the sets and whatnot. And the Turtle suits, while not the greatest piece of puppetry and whatnot, were functional and seemed pretty sturdy for most of the action stuff that would follow in the series.

People tend to complain about getting rid of Shredder quickly and replacing him with these original villains who could have easily been used in a Power Rangers show. But you can only have Shredder get beat so many times before it gets boring and undermines his worth as a villain... and besides, most fans don't realize or don't remember or just plain ignore the fact that in the original comic, the Shredder was offed in the very first issue! Never mind the countless resurrections that would follow. So on a personal standpoint, I was sort of glad they got rid of Shredder because then the anticipation would build to the point where they would eventually bring him back in a later episode. I find that Shredder in small quantities work best because then his encounters with the Turtles are all the more memorable.

Unfortunately, they end up replacing him with these original villains who, as stated, seemed more fit for a Power Rangers show than a Ninja Turtles show. And with these new magic-wielding generics comes a new female magic-wielding turtle, the infamous Venus De Milo. I'll be honest; I never got comfortable with her. I'm not against the idea of a female turtle; I'm just against the idea of one who uses magic and thus sticks out like a sore sight among a clan of ninja turtles who seem somewhat out of their domain. I almost get the impression that this could have easily been the Venus De Milo show dealing with her make-believe enemies and the TMNT are just there to provide the star power (or whatever was left considering the timeframe this was released). Fortunately, they all share the spotlight together.

Next Mutation was canned after a season on the air and the creators were more than happy to ignore it. Given time and maybe another season, I really believe this live iteration of the TMNT could have been something and might have gotten a chance at greatness. But while the idea was sound, the execution was flawed (although there are a couple good episodes in this series). As it stands, Next Mutation is one of those oddities in Turtledom that is best left buried and forgotten.

A fun try

Author: samgamgee1985 from Fly over country
20 January 2004

This show suffers from what people refer to as the Saban Touch, but even if it does have poor effects and tired stories, it did serve as a fun, unique installment in the TMNT franchise. It may not be better than the old show, it's certainly not better than the new one, and the first two movies could be considered leaps ahead of this, but for a group of people who like their cheesy monster men made of rubber and silly fun, this show does bring out the inner child. Besides, the writing was good and funny, the voices of the characters worked well, and the action was a cut above other Saban series. It's darker than Power Rangers, but still completely child friendly. While many complain about Venus, I thought she was a good addition, if only for that show. She added a fun element that many TMNT fans secretly thought should be there, which was a female turtle. I mean, come on, what fanboy could honestly hate a CUTE ninja turtle? :) Anyway, this show should probably be considered an acquired taste for older fans, and for the PR generation more of the same stuff that still passes for Saturday morning action fare.

Great entertainement for children!

Author: filmfile2
30 January 2001

The number 1 rated Fox kids show at the time. Action, action, action!Fun scenario's, vibrant sets and colorful wardrobe. 26 episodes that bring the comics to life. Sucessfully designed to entertain children. Nothing more, nothing less.

Down the sewers

Author: Max Kämmerer from Austria
5 October 2009

This is the worst thing the TMNT franchise has ever spawned. I was a kid when this came out and I still thought it was deuce, even though I liked the original cartoon.

There's this one scene I remember when the mafia ape guy explains to his minions what rhetorical questions are. It's atrocious. Many fans hate on the series for including a female turtle, but that didn't bother me. So much so that I didn't even remember her until I read about the show recently. All in all, it's miserably forgettable.

The only okay thing was the theme song. Guilty pleasure, they call it... Nananana ninja...

Sad...very sad.

Author: Dave Dawkins (RogueNav) from Abilene, Texas, USA
9 September 2000

It seems that television has once again decided to beat a dead horse. The "Turtlemania" craze was perfectly fine in the late 80's-early 90's. And, as most crazes do, it died a natural death, quietly going the way of the dinosaur. But Fox Kids just HAD to resurrect it. As with most dead things rising from the grave, the results weren't pretty. The acting was mediocre, the the costuming was atrocious, and the special effects were on par with Sesame Street. The "villains" were so transparent, Stevie Wonder could have read a newspaper through them. If you were a Turtle fan, go buy copies of the original comics and movies. If you hated the Turtles, this will simply reinforce your well-placed dislikes.

All in all, give it a miss. For that matter, in the "Star Rating System", this one owes US a few stars!

Pure Garbage

Author: TheEighthHorsie from SoCal
12 January 2008

This is the biggest insult to TMNT ever. Fortunantely, officially Venus does not exist in canon TMNT. There will never be a female turtle, this took away from the tragic tale of 4 male unique mutants who will never have a family of their own, once gone no more. The biggest mistake was crossing over Power Rangers to TMNT with a horrible episode; the turtle's voices were WRONG and they all acted out of character. They could have done such a better job, better designs and animatronics and NO VENUS.

don't bother with this people...it's cringe worthy material. the lip flap was slow and unnatural looking. they totally disrespected shredder. the main baddie, some dragonlord dude was corny. the turtles looked corny with things hanging off their bodies, what's with the thing around raph's thigh? the silly looking sculpted plastrons!?

If they looked normal, acted in character and got rid of Venus, got rid of the stupid kiddie cartoon sounds...and better writing it could have been good.

Don't watch it

Author: (Dgranthp19@aol.com) from Pittsburgh
10 April 2004

If you ever were a TMNT fan...don't watch this. Honestly it will make you cry. If you think I am kidding....watch it. Just remember...I warned you!

Saban...give up..forever, spare us! This was too much like Power Rangers. Super formulamatical plots. A female turtle who's storyline doesn't fit at all. Bad Costumes, bad acting, bad villians! This move seriously was a slap in the face to the TMNT legacy. The new TMNT Cartoon however is a must-see...A true compliment to the series. Where as this took the movies and tried to go from there, the new 2003 series takes us through the often ignored world of comic books. With more edge and less goofball antics, we get to see the TMNT at their fighting best. Skip the next mutation and check out the 2003 series on the foxbox!

Prince

It's Good

Author: Rygog from United States
22 January 2005

No matter what anyone says, Saban Entertainment did a great job in creating this series. Though it had a very short lived life, just like Masked Rider, VR Troopers, Big Bad BeetleBorgs, and the Mystic Knights. It did have a good one episode team-up in the sixth season of Power Rangers: Power Rangers in Space (which is going into it's 13th season Febuary 2005 and I'm still a fan). Too bad there wasn't a second season of Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation. Although Saban should have continuted the series, because you can tell the last episode was meant to lead into the next season. Also I love how they incorporated another Ninja Turtle into the series... Venus.

Bad Show That Was Going To Get Better

Author: Devin Nickerson (Dev3000) from Nova Scotia, Canada
1 January 2005

I must admit from the start that I only watched half of the 26 episodes of terrible show and I was a huge fan of the previous movies and cartoons.

Though the first, and only, season of this show was terrible, it was supposedly suppose to become better with addition of April O' Neal, Casey Jones, and the Rat King in the second season, and the rumors of Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang being added after. This is a show that could have became great if given time, but like everything on TV they get rid of good ideas quickly and leave bad ideas on forever.

The reason for me not liking this show was I thought the bad guys were bad character ideas, they should have got the rights to use original and good villains, like Krang, Leatherhead, Rat King, and such, they were good ideas. This show might have seemed better if I hadn't seen any other Turtles shows or Movies, but compared to anything else associated to the Turtles, this show was complete crap.

Started Out Good Then Took A Downward Spiral!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
26 September 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

The subject line says it all. But this was a good idea! It basically follows the three movies. Except here, the Ninja Turtles redid their bandanas and are almost 18 years old! They've also got some new wheels: A Hum Vee and Raphael has a motorcycle! But there's more to come, for the turtles discover a fifth turtle. A very pretty female one. They call her Venus De Milo, due to a statue that was broken during a Foot Soldier fight. The big mistake they made with this show was getting rid of Shredder in the second episode, then bringing in Dragon Lord, who was a pretty good bad guy, but his assistant Wick was a pain in the dairyaire! There was also Brash the monkey, and Bonesteel the hunter. There was also Vam Mi the vampire. Again, the ideas with Venus and the Hum Vee were great. The turtles' personalities are still the same: Leonardo is the bossy britches, Raphael is the grump, Michaelangelo is the party guy and Donatello is the computer nerd. Master Splinter is here too. But where is April O'Neil? Not here anymore. Venus is taking her spot. Michaelangelo no longer has his Nunchauks. Why? I guess because they're deemed illegal in most countries.

I like the one where the turtles are fighting Foot Soldiers in their lair and during that time the phone rings, it's the pizza parlor confirming Michaelangelo's order. That was a good idea. Another one where Michaelangelo finds a lottery ticket, which Brash steals. Or the one where Donatello is lucky enough to get Venus out of the safe before it blows. Those two weren't the best episodes ever done, but they were okay. So once again, this show was a great idea that took a downward spiral. Don't think it will ever be back. Liked the Hum Vee. Venus was a good lookin' babe! Shredder is still the best enemy, and this show was a good change of pace, considering they really botched the cartoon towards the end! They made it all-action with red skies, alien slug enemies, no more pizza. ALSO, the Turtles appeared in a Power Rangers episode! The two competitors finally crossed over. 'Never thought I'd see the day. Anyhoo, this show was so-so. If you like the Turtles, you like the movies, and if you can possibly find it, I recommend Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation!