IMDb > Splendor (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

3 stars out of 20

Author: rowboat from Iceland
17 February 2002

Um, this movie wasn't so good. It started out mediocre, before dropping into bad pretty quick. I think Kathleen Robertson was beautiful and played the role right. She was the highlight. She could've easily been over-dramatic and cheesy, but she wasn't. Kudos. She must've learned something from 90210. The story should've been more about the relationship and the struggle to make it work and more sociology, but throwing the pregnancy and that movie director guy into it were just huge, uncreative cop-outs in telling the story. The writer should be ashamed.

A Tease of a Movie

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
20 September 2004

Kathleen Robertson carries this movie with her physical beauty and acting charm. Many will rent this hard to find video to see if the lovely Miss Robertson will disrobe. Although she does a number of times in the movie, the audience only gets to see very little of the action. Overall, a nice little film about a 90's LA relationship ( more like a threesome) between 3 characters who slowly learn to become friends and then a family. A good independent film, but far from anything great for a teen comedy or a romantic comedy with sexual overtones. Robertson shows her acting talents throughout the film but overall teases the audience to believe that Splendor is one of those straight to video / cable movies where you get to see a certain actress naked for the same price that you would pay to rent a copy of Body of Evidence or Poison Ivy.

Great Film!!!

Author: Yvette Bass (blueridersuk) from Lemoore, CA USA
16 March 2004

This is one of Gregg Araki's best work yet. Kathleen Robertson, Johnathon Schaech, & Matt Keesler all did such a wonderful job. I recommend all all 3 actors other projects as well as Gregg Araki's other films especially "Nowhere" that featured Kathleen Robertson in it.

The film is extremely funny and very interesting in most parts. I think Veronica(Robertson)has good taste for choosing 2 sexy men!!! She is my favorite actress and everything she does is so good so if you haven't seen the movie, go get it, it's great!!!!

Living in Paradise

Author: Ann_Bowman_Invents from 90210, USA
31 May 2003

One typical Halloween, Veronica is in a club with her best friend Mike when she bumps into Abel on the dance floor. He's a dark, handsome stranger. She falls for him instantly. Then, as the music act gets underway, she sees Zed (the band drummer). Again, she falls head over heels for this guy too. But she keeps her cool as she dances with Abe. She leaves the club with Mike, gives her phone number to Abe, and spends the night with Zed. The next day, she sets up her date with Abe and is equally charmed.

She can't let either one go. So, she tells them both about each other. They agree to let her see them both. After they meet, they all move in together. Veronica then meets a third man and discovers she's pregnant. Spell-binding. Actually evolves from a mysterious story about the incredible life events of a twenty-something having a lot of fun she missed in her late teens, to a heartfelt story of love and responsibility for a revolving relationship a girl has with three men (two of which end up in bed with her at the same time) and a set of twin babies inside her.

A perfect movie. Rings every safe bell in the house marvelously. Fills the viewer with feeling and an afterglow of intelligence. A film-making risk worth taking. **** out of ****.

Nothing Fantastic or Special, But Recommendable Enough.

Author: movie_maniac_mike from New Zealand
26 September 2000

The Plot: The hilarious and sexy story of Veronica (Kathleen Robertson) and her two very different lovers, Abel (Jonathan Schaech) and Zed (Matt Keelsar). Abel is the witty, charming and mentally stimulating, while Zed, the punk-rock drummer, exudes animal psysicality. The two guys are in love with Veronica, while she is head-over-heels in love with both of them. Finally they all move in together. 72%

The Acting: Robertson is impressive as the sexy and equally loveable Veronica, and Hush star Schaech is very watchable as Abel. Matt Keelsar is another stand-out newcomer in this film. Suprisingly, it is the most well-known actress, Kelly MacDonald that gives the worst performance. She is down-right annoying as Mike, Veronica's British best friend. If MacDonald had not been cast, this would of got a better score. 69%

The Screenplay/Directing: Splendor starts out with a really awesome idea and a great script, but half way through, it loses its witty charm and cleverness. But, Greg Arakki writes and directs, this is his first feature film. I give him credit for the un-rushed effort. 69%

Other: Splendor has no special effects or great editing, but it has some really awesome set-decorations at the start. 59%

Overall: Splendor is a fun, average flick that could have been a lot better if the script had been improved. Anyway, it is still a watchable and cool enough film at the time. 69%

**********SPLENDOR 69%**********

Twinkletoes

Author: matthew wilder (cosmovitelli@mediaone.net) from los angeles
7 October 1999

There's this dim-witted Valley Girl with one favorite method of killing time: chewing Ecstasy while flipping through dozens of Sassy magazines. She's not the brightest light on the dashboard, but to show you her brain pan is still active, she'll occasionally let out a ripsnorting burp, or make a raspberry farting noise, just to make you pay attention. Cuteness is her alpha and omega--both as in, "Oh my God, he is so cute I could just die!" and "Oh, you shouldn't have, that is SO CUTE!" If you follow the "independent" scene, you may have heard of her--her name is Gregg Araki. And where Araki once feebly aped the devices of one Jean-Luc Godard, we must resign ourselves to the fact that he has embraced the auteur he truly loves: Aaron Spelling.

If you ever wondered what happens to vapid, rave-esque posers when they get a few crow's feet, SPLENDOR gives you the answer: they're as cutesy and complacent as the next old geezer. Here, Araki tries for DESIGN FOR LIVING-style screwball comedy, which, in his lexicon, translates to: An appearance by Mr. Roper is imminent. As the multiple-partnered heroine, Kathleen Robertson has a very tiny, upturned, Waspy nose. As the dumb bohunk boy toy of the triangle, Matthew Keezlar has biceps the size of canned hams. And as the third leg of the menage, Jonathan Schaech has a resemblance to a Lebanese Peter Gallagher. If one of the characters from a Bret Easton Ellis novel took Prozac and got some foreign-market funding, this is the movie he would make. Araki's worship of pretty, baby-talky people and things can leave you feeling like a Moonie at the end of a long day of flower-selling.

A silly movie

Author: tributarystu from Timisoara, Romania
8 November 2002

What a paradox, to call a movie "Splendor" and the movie to be nowhere near it! Amusing, indeed.

Plotwise, it's - to a certain, unpredictable and even "unthought" of point - interesting, if we were to learn a lot about modern day mentalities and social patterns. Which we don't, not even in an evasive manner. So we have this young "lady", Veronica, who, one night, meets two "prince charming". Of course it's quite overwhelming, and our young damsel in distress, having been placed in a most ungrateful situation, is faced with a decision-making task. So many choices, so many options, what to do - one would wonder. Of course, it'd be great to have a taste of both (as Marque humourfully sings about, in one of his songs). Initially, Veronica dates the guys separately but later, after everyone involved meets everyone involved, the three become...well, two he's and a she. Rise and shine before thy sinks, as the motto goes (or doesn't).

Veronica has a very clear character. She is a confused young girl, who acts on her instincts and sees later that the future isn't as easy as she initially thought. So then appears another guy, who can offer her all she wants...just that - darn! - she doesn't love him and so the ride goes on and on.

It's too bad thoughts tend to go astray at certain moments. I mean, I've seen much better love movies with twisted plots! And, probably, so have you.

Somebody shoot these people

Author: CRTF (fox@sedona.net) from Arizona
4 July 2002

A shallow story about three morons that end up in a threesome. Pretentious, empty characters with nothing terribly interesting or genuine to say. Kathleen Robertson needs to get over herself, as she seems far too aware of her 'cuteness' in this movie. I found her revolting. The thing that's hard to believe is that people are actually entertained by this crap.

Really, really bad

Author: justlikeheavn
9 May 2001

Unfortunately watched this the other night on cable because there was little on, and I was trying to see if I could remember what I had seen some of the cast in before. I was intrigued by the fact that the girl has 2 boyfriends and they all live together, but I wish I would have moved on after I watched it for 5 minutes and it did not become interesting. I did not catch it from the very beginning, but I was hoping to at least see some menage a trois action; of course no dice! I am not going to waste your time with a description of all the cinematography & everything, but let me just tell you: it was really bad writing, a bad plot, bad acting, and it was stupidly predictable. I just wish I had predicted that it would be so bad, and I could've done something else with that hour or so I wasted. UGH!

Regurgitated and unoriginal

Author: firstborn1492 from Ottawa, Canada
20 May 2000

I watched this film because it was highly recommended. Needless to say I found it to be nothing more than an directionless version of Threesome right down to using New Order's - Bizarre Love Triangle in the movie. I thought it was biased towards men and felt it barely scraped the surface of any semblance of human emotion. Obviously this was directed by Gregg Araki... If this film bespeaks the future of relationships, I think I'll go for celibacy.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]