IMDb > Big Meat Eater (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

amazing music

Author: blaise-13 from United States
25 December 2005

The music really makes the movie. I love Mystery Science Theatre 3000 but usually "bad" movies have really bad music. This movie is not only wacky and playful but has really enjoyable musical numbers. My friends and I used to sing along to a tape of its songs on the way to school. Good bad movie. really.

Another great part is that the plot keeps movie. Often "bad" movies drag on forever with just one or two running gags but this movie has a thought-out plot progression and clever dialogue. Some of its random and intentionally dumb but that's the point. It keeps you interested in a lighthearted manner.

Other reviewers need a sense of perspective

Author: Dave from Ottawa from Canada
20 December 2015

I like to use this picture to demonstrate the fallacy of imitative form: mere awareness of a picture's kitschy origins or its own camp qualities are not themselves a virtue. If you set out to ape bad alien sci fy, and don't add anything into the mix that is on its own clever or funny or in some way entertaining, you just wind up with bad alien sci fy. Repo Man managed to be a true original, while casting a wink at its drive in antecedents. Big Meat Eater is just on par with its earlier influences, and in no way transcends them.

On its merits, BME is a terribly cheap and shoddy looking picture. The plotting is so random and haphazard that nothing that happens in the film seems in any way organically related to anything else that happens. One scene just stops and another starts up somewhere else. To call the effect incomprehensible is to suggest that BME merits comprehending. It doesn't. It's not a clever send-up, just cheap silly nonsense that somebody put together on a zero budget. It generates little conventional b-movie sizzle, in that there is little suspense, surprise or originality. It isn't even all that amusing as Bad Movie Note entertainment, in that its crazy grab bag of a plot fails to actually pull the viewer along. Random silly stuff just happens, and then more random silly stuff happens.

Get a grip guys. This is not a 10 of a movie despite some of the ratings above. It's just a cheap, backyard production put together in some sleepy Canadian burg by amateurs who watched a lot of bad creature features and wanted to make their own.

Kitschy Campy Cheesiness

Author: Zoooma from Oakland, New Jersey
28 January 2014

I found this in a "zombie movie pack" and never hearing about it, I thought I'd try it. Wow. I will not forget this movie ever. You like totally wacko bizarre films??? This is for you! It has nothing to do with zombies. None of it really makes any sense and it's difficult to explain. Goofy acting, songs, dance, people wearing the same clothes everyday, flying saucer on a string, aliens that are plastic wind-up toys, an unexplainable British accent, weird loopy characters, alien abductions, a metal egg beater implanted for a hand, songs, dance, did I mention those? This really is just completely mental. It has to be seen to be believed. Immediately I started thinking Worst Film Ever (not necessarily the worst but bottom 1% to be sure.) But its campy kitschy cheesiness eventually grew on me. I'd actually possibly watch it again someday.

--A Kat Pirate Screener

Tries too hard

Author: Mark Honhorst from United States
9 November 2009

It looks like this movie was aiming to become a cult classic like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, or any John Waters title. Now, that's not a bad thing, but everyone involved in this tried too hard to make it a cult classic, resulting in its failure to become one. Instead of being fun and enjoyable, it becomes tiresome and rather lame (probably lame on purpose, but whatever.) And those so called "aliens" were too lame even for me.

That said, this is not a bad movie. It has some very memorable songs like "Big Meat Eater" and "Mondo Chemico". (I think that's what they're called, at least.)

I guess this movie had the potential to become a cult classic, but it never happened, as far as I know.

great classic

Author: redwings-4 from Canada
19 August 2005

He does not make the credits but Simon LeBon (from Duran Duran) sings the song "Heat seeking missile lover". When the movie came out they added a red banner to the movie poster which said starring Simon LeBon. Duran Duran had just released the album Rio. So Duran Duran where pretty much at the top of there career. Lots and lots of little teeny boppers line up and went to the movie . Not many teenage girls got the movie. Quite funny. It was for this reason that much profit was made for this movie, or so I was told. Sixty thousand to make the film, one point four million dollar box office weekend. Big Miller was a huge Jazz trombonist in Edmonton Alberta. He won the Juno award for best Jazz album in 1979.The Mayor played by Howard Taylor in the film is said to be Elizabeth Taylor's brother.

The ultimate cheesy film

Author: anus13 from burnley
26 May 2000

If you like films that are totally bizarre, then this one is for you! Abdullah is one mean mother, with a passion for strangling people and eating ham. You should check this film out, just for a laugh. It is a low budget sci-fi, musical, comedy, cannibalistic, classic. If you get bored of the film half way through you should persevere, just for the sake of seeing the aliens, which are nothing more than little toy robots, but in my opinion are the films highlight. "I'm the Big Meat Eater, pass me

Low budget junk

Author: gibbog from St. John's, NL
16 August 2005

Terrible film made on a budget of about $9.99. Very obvious miniature sets used, poor acting and an awful storyline concerning aliens who use discarded meat from a butcher shop as fuel for their spaceship. The film contains some blood (not enough to disturb) and a character with an eggbeater replacing one of his hands. (Yes you read that correctly.)

One saving grace was a song performed at the "talent show" (how's that for irony?) by a punk/new wave band that I think was called "I'm A Heat Seeking Missile". Other than that, this is not worth your time, not even on a "so bad it's good" level. Watch if you are into cheesy alien films, but anyone else should steer clear.

Rating: 1 out of 10