IMDb > The Unknown Marx Brothers (1993) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Unknown Marx Brothers (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Unspectacular But Solid

Author: Darren O'Shaughnessy (darren shan) from Limerick, Ireland
28 September 2000

Interesting documentary about the Marx Bros. The first half focuses on their early career and their movie heydays. It doesn't have any great revelations to make, but it's fun and insightful. The second half's of more interest to fans, covering their later years and TV lives. Some priceless footage of Groucho on "You Bet Your Life" and clips of Harpo and Chico in some of their post-movie ventures. Works well as either a nice introduction to their work, or as a nostalgia piece for already confirmed fans.

Marked Down

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
3 September 2003

Spoilers herein.

What a disaster! The Marxes filled the camera from edge to edge with disorder -- that's the gift they gave us. What a sad thing then, to experience a documentary that is shaped in a way that is contrary to everything they worked for.

This is the story through the eyes of a Fenneman/Dumont, their spoiled dumb kids and various fawning but uninspired admirers -- it demeans.

The only interesting part is the Cosby bit. He understood and winks appreciation to us while an aged Groucho does his thing.

You might want to pair this film with "Dogtown and the Z-Boys." That is a documentary about a media phenomenon done in the style of the phenomenon. Highlights the

inadequacy of this.

I believe that humor is something like music: it is invented. Great musicians do not find music, they invent it. The Marxes invented one thread of film humor. There may be only three or four. They not only made us laugh, they discovered new ways to make us laugh. More than half of all my laughs come from something they invented. What could be a better legacy?

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.