IMDb > So You Want to Be Your Own Boss (1954) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Double Edged Sword & Old Gag Finish

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
24 February 2016

TAKING WHAT CAN only be viewed as a practical view of a couple of commonly held ambitions. First of all, we all want to "fire our boss" and be his replacement. Secondly, everyone thinks they could run a grill, breakfast joint or a franchised burger outlet. Usually little consideration is given to the responsibilities involved.

FURTHERMORE, THE MARGIN of profit on a day's gross is minuscule. In a very serious moment, let us say, Hats Off to you, Mr. Restaurateur! From the Opposite perspective, through the camera lens and this short, we are privy to goings on behind the scenes; albeit in this case a comical point of view. The "buyer-beware" attitude of the restaurant patron is proclaimed.

THE EVER WATCHFUL eye and sometime overbearing presence of local licensing agency is given a good natured lampoon, with Lyle Talbot doing an excellent job of representing an efficient if somewhat autocratic petty bureaucrat. It may be called Licensing, Sanitation or Consumers Protection; but their agency had the job of inspecting and sanctioning the operation of local eateries.

AS IS ALWAYS the case with a MC DOAKES entry, this one had a well fashioned cast. It includes usual players: Rodney Bell and Fred Kelsey. added to it are Phil Arnold and Jesslyn Fax as restaurant patrons. bowing in her first installment was Jane Frazee; who had replaced Phyllis Coates as Mrs. Alice Mc Doakes.

AS THE FINISHONG move, and in adhering to the idea of "Always Leave 'Em Laughing", they go with a really old gag. Joe's eatery is reopened, the Health Inspector is pleased, as are the patrons, who have packed the premises. The new sign reads, "Our Food Is Untouched By Human Hands"; a fact that is proved by the final shot of Joe and his new chef who is a.........................*

NOTE:* We won't say, but as a little hint for you film buffs and movie fans, the new Cook could be Ray "Crash" Corrigan in a suit he used many, many times in many, many a movie, See it, Schultz! It's only about 10 minutes long!

Funny Short and That's Lyle Talbot

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
29 December 2010

So You Want to Be Your Own Boss (1954)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

Decent entry in the series has our beloved Joe McDoakes (George O'Hanlon) wanting to find out what it's like to be his own boss so he actually punches his boss, rips up his social security card and opens his own restaurant. He hires Marvin as cook and things go downhill on their opening day. This isn't the best film in the long-running series but it has some rather interesting moments including Lyle Talbot showing up playing a Department of Sanitation worker. It was said that Talbot would accept any job so it was rather fun seeing him show up for a couple minutes here and he actually manages to get a few laughs. Another note is that Jane Frazee takes over the role of Alice McDoakes from Phyllis Coates who wouldn't appear again until the final two films. The comedy here isn't the strongest but we get some fairly funny moments including one very funny sequence where we get to see Marvin prepare the food and accidentally drop roach poison into it. There's another funny bit when their first customer ordering free stuff and the final gag is a very good one. As you'd expect O'Hanlon is at the top of his game and Rodney Bell also does a good job in his role of Marvin.