IMDb > Shrek (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Shrek

Shrek More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 95: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Truly the greatest fairy tale ever told

Author: livealot from New Zealand
3 June 2003

This ogre-sized adventure is my favourite animated film. The ending is a bit slow and sappy compared to the rest of the film but other than that is brilliant. Shrek is one of the few movies that I can watch over and over - something that I usually find impossible to do.

It's full of little subtle jokes that I don't manage to pick up on for a while and has some of my favourite actors in it - John Lithgow and Mike Myers.

The storyline may not be completely original (not that it's intended to... the whole thing is making fun of previous movies) but it makes by with it's wit and charm.

Of course I got the real expert on Animated films, my younger sister -to give me her opinion on it. It's her favourite too.

Inspired animation

Author: cynthia_008 from Sydney, Australia
26 May 2003

I'm glad I finally got round to seeing this movie and I was pleasantly surprised because Shrek has the guts to follow it's own path and doesn't feel the need to follow the same old formula's used by so many film makers today. Yes we recognise that it's essentially a love story, BUT IT HAS A GOOD SCRIPT and it's also about the battle to be brave. I hope that children do see how the fairy tale characters we love so much are set free by this film. They are able to express their individuality as we all should. Children are much tougher and much more intelligent than adults give them credit and it's views such as those that we hear in these forums which dull a child's mind.

The 3D character animation is top quality for it's day, intelligent and often subtle. This film breaks a lot of boundaries previously uncrossed in family animation. Take your children to see it, talk to them about it afterwards and see why they like it - find out who they are! Shrek addresses the world we live in today, it celebrates film making and story telling and it has a wonderful, broad range of characters. If anything there wasn't enough time to pack it all in. It wasn't perfect, but it was very good and certainly A BREATH OF FRESH AIR.

hilarious

Author: Sunshine14clr from texas, u.s.a.
24 May 2003

i love mike myers. sure he's somewhat crude but he's still funny. now i usually don't watch animated movies unless they are disney. but i wasn't close minded on this one. disney makes good movies of course. why not other companies take a stab at it? a delightful comedy intended for both children and adults. i do think a lot of the humor is more for adults though. i was surprised to hear a few cuss words. children still love it though. aside from that..its a very good movie. 8 stars out of 10...........

Okey, okey!

Author: Oliver Steinn Bergsson (oliversteinn@hotmail.com) from Iceland
20 May 2003

It´s okey, not great, not bad..........good ending! Mike Myers is great and Eddie Murphy pretty good! The kids love it.......................

I think I´ll give it 6.78!!!!

The Dreamiest Dreamworks film yet

Author: Jessica Cole (brightlilchica@incamail.com)
3 May 2003

Dreamworks is NOT one of my favorite movie companies. So when I went to see Shrek, I was happily shocked. Since I'm 18, I like to make fun of fairytales, and this is the perfect medicine for me. "He huffed und he puffed und he--signed an eviction notice." Hilarious, extravagant, 98%.

It was alright...nothing special.

Author: Aaron1375
2 April 2003

The way people talked about this movie I was expecting a laugh riot. Instead it was worthy of a few laughs here and there. The first time I saw this I only caught the tail end of it (the last twenty or so minutes) and quite frankly it wasn't very funny at all. Then I saw the whole movie and most of the best jokes are in the first hour. Still it was only worth a chuckle here and there...I definitely don't see what the big deal was. Myers does the voice of the ogre, and he is basically doing his fat-b&st@rd Scottish voice, but he does rather well. Murphy basically does the character he played in Mulan. Lithgow, who does the best job isn't in it enough. Some cute jabs at Disney in this one and their theme parks and overall it was ok, but not all it was hyped up to be.

Very Good Animated Movie

Author: gbheron from Washington, DC
29 March 2003

"Shrek" is every bit as good as the classic Disney animation films (or at least many of them). Of course, animation has improved over the decades, "Shrek" being filmed using the new 3-D CGI. But animation is not what made the Disney classics great movies. It was the stories, the characters and the music. The full sweep of drama, comedy, and adventure that was available to live action, except with animation. These movies are for adults as much as for kids. "Shrek" is also in this class, although the story might seem a little thin and pedestrian. And the moral of the story, well it's been updated a bit to accommodate 21st century tastes. Nonetheless I recommend this movie for adults and kids alike.

It's NOT Disney!!

Author: KC Kern from Provo, UT
15 March 2003

There were several comments referring how this was Disney's worst, or Disney screwed up. Dreamworks made this, and heavily parodies many disney story elements. So get it right before making an uninformed decision and unduely attacking a someone.

So far the best animated film I have ever viewed

Author: movie-man-76 from Peckville, PA
13 March 2003

Shrek is a great tale that follows an ogre named Shrek and a donkey, that won't shut up, named Donkey and their adventure to save a Princess in a castle guarded by a fire-breathing dragon. When they find the castle the fire-breathing dragon turns out to be a female and falls in love with Donkey. They rescue the Princess and then they head to a village called Duloc to deliver the Princess to Lord Farquaad. He is the one that sends Shrek on this journey to rescue the Princess, so he can marry her to become a King. Shrek interrupts the wedding of Lord Farquaad and Princess Fiona because he loves the Princess. Princess Fiona awaits a kiss from Shrek so a curse that was put on her by a witch would be lifted from her. The curse turns her in to an ogre every time the sunsets and the only way to lift the curse is to have true loves first kiss. But she stays an ogre to show children that true beauty comes from within. Shrek and Princess Fiona get married. Lord Farquaad is eating by the fire-breathing dragon, and she falls in love with Donkey, and vise versa. Everything is great in the end. The animation for Shrek is fantastic. No other animated film that I have viewed is as good or better. Ice Age, Toy Story 1&2, and Monster's Inc. are very fine animated films, but not Shrek quality. The film is also funny for kids and adults. A lot of little comments in Shrek that is meant for adults, that little kids won't get. The animation along with the story is why I give Shrek * * * ½ {out of 4 stars} & a 8/10.

watch it over, gets better every time

Author: tmarinov from Paris, France
4 February 2003

I've seen it 5 times, my wife - 10 and the children - i don't know... For someone who loves movies and usually not the trivial ones that should mean something. I saw some of the comments in the forum and was surprised to a certain extent because it is hard for me to imagine that someone who has seen the film would classify it as "children animation" and would judge it by that criteria. Yes, children like it, it's fun for them, but I don't think they can get more than 1/3rd of the fine (and not so "refined") humor in this movie. Both Eddie Murphy and Mike Myers give lifetime performances as donkey and Shrek. Jokes are really nice, as well as at least a dozen of classical phrases that you can apply in any true-life situation. Animation is awesome and soundtrack is a big hit. not less than 100 out of 100! hhhhmmmmm, there's probably a serious reason why donkeys don't write :)