IMDb > Shrek (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Shrek

Shrek More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 95: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Animation will never be the same.

Author: shrek2004 from Manitoba, Canada
27 August 2003

Animation has taken some great leaps in recent years. Because of

the Simpsons, it has become more popular and taken more

seriously as "more than kids' stuff" because of computer

technology, it has become quality art instead of just flipping

post-its. Shrek was a very groundbreaking film in 2001. Because of it's

engaging storyline, beautiful plot, funny, multi-faceted charactars

and impressive animation, it finally broke the barrier that animation

was not just cartoons and thin plots, but that it could be taken

seriously in a movie, so seriously in fact that because of Shrek, the

Best Animated Film Oscar category was created. I love Shrek. It's my favourite movie. I've defenitely seen better

films, but Shrek remains number # 1 with me. I can't wait for the

sequel!

MUCH better than I expected

Author: Rachel-20 from California
20 August 2003

*********** Possible Spoilers ***************

I put off watching this for a long time after it was released because my impression of it from trailers was that it would be one long rude noise, so to speak. Then we went to a friend's house and they put this on, and I watched it and was very pleasantly surprised. There is a potty humor element, unfortunately, but it's not as predominant as I had expected, and the story is REALLY well-done other than that. The jokes are funny, the characters are enjoyable, and the animation is great. Most of all, I liked the ending -- a pleasant surprise in this world where looks are paramount. I'd love to see more like it.

Shrek rules

Author: Jonas Lindelöf from Stockholm
11 August 2003

If you, like me, are tired to death with Walt Disney's nerd movies and thought that Shrek was just another bad cartoon movie Shrek is just the pill you need.

A classic childrens story with an adult twist. Mike Myers is far more funny as Shrek's voice than he has ever been on the screen (ok Wayne's world was funny) and Eddie Murphy is actually quite funny as long as you don't have to see him (sorry Eddie but I was a big fan back in days of Delerious and Raw). Shrek is the coolest hero ever. 9/10

Refreshingly anarchic animated comedy(may contain MILD SPOILERS)

Author: Jagged-11 from london, England
9 August 2003

Shrek is a film which delights in making fun of the classic fairy tale's rites of passage with dollops of satire and a surprising amount of black comedy and (of course) a nice, sweet underlying message about beauty on the inside and never judging a book by its cover etc. etc.

Shrek works so well because it is not specifically aimed at either adults or children and provides plenty of entertainment for both with the usual (rather crude) humour about flatulence, belching and so on to amuse kids and plenty of sly in-jokes and jabs at Disney that will raise a smile from adults.

The plot of Shrek revolves around the eponymous title character who just happens to be a large green ogre.A loner with an inferiority complex, a stroppy attitude and bad breath, shrek certainly isn't the archetypal hero of a fairy tale, but none the less (or perhaps because of) he ends up being one of the more lovable creatures ever to be animated. Unbeknownst to Shrek however is the fact that times are decidedly turbulent for fairy tale creatures who are being systematically rounded up and evicted by the diminutive Lord Farquaad and unfortunately for shrek his swamp is the area they've been relocated to. Not content to share his home with Pinocchio, the three little pigs, tinkerbell and countless others, Shrek, accompanied by a talking donkey named er.. Donkey, sets out to speak to Farquaad and get rid of the 'squatters'. In the meantime Farquaad has chosen (under the advice of the magic mirror) to marry Princess Fiona (he chose her over Snow White and Cinderella), there is however a snag: she's imprisoned in a castle surrounded by lava and guarded by a dragon and for the pint sized Farquaad the idea of personally rescuing her is decidedly unnapealing. He therefore strikes a deal with Shrek: if Shrek rescues the princess he gets his swamp back free from the unwanted inhabitants. And so the adventure begins...........

Shrek succeeds principally for two reasons, it's quartet of main characters and its humour. As previously mentioned Shrek (voiced by Mike Myers, not that you'd know; he adopts a Scottish accent which makes his voice almost unrecognizable) is refreshingly flawed and a welcome change from the bland heroes that populate cinema. Donkey(Eddie Murphy) is the stereotypical wise-cracking sidekick who is the films main source of comedy. The role is used in essentially every animated movie and the results usually vary from the good (Robin Williams;Aladdin) to the dire (Billy Crystal;Monsters Inc.) but Murphy is arguably the best yet (though I still think he is the weakest of the four main characters). Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz) is essentially a combination of the classic damsel in distress with the added twist of Diaz's 'Charlie's Angels' alter-ego which enables her to kick Monsieur Hood and his Merry Men's french butts in Matrix style slow motion Kung Fu. And last (but certainly not least) is lord Farquaad (John Lithgow) an old fashioned villain who, despite being devious and nasty, is not the cold embodiment of evil most films try to create.

Of course there are so many repeatable lines of dialogue and endless visual gags that you could easily compile a 'greatest hits' selection (my personal favourite is Cinderella and Snow White brawling over a wedding bouquet). Like all fairy tales Shrek must have a happy ending, but this time there's an added twist(which isn't even hinted at until 2/3 of the way into the movie) just to make sure the movie maintains its freshness. The only slight quibble I have is the rather confusing contradiction in the film's moral sub-plot about how one should not judge people because of their physical appearances, and yet the film happily stereotypes the midget Farquaad as a Napoleonic megalo maniac, its by no means offensive but it left me rather bemused at what the film was trying to say.

All in All an excellent animated feature (certainly better than the awful Monsters Inc.) I give it 8 out of 10 and strong recommendation

Great story!

Author: grahamsj3 from United States
23 July 2003

This is a fantastic story! The film is very well executed and is a fine addition to anyones film library. What makes this film truly great are the wonderful voices! These folks are all great professionals and their voices carry the emotions of the characters perfectly. I truly enjoyed this and plan to acquire it soon.

The best animated movie ever!!!

Author: briman180
13 July 2003

Shrek is so funny, it has a great story and the look of it is amazing! The whole movie pretty much makes you laugh and the action scenes look spectacular. One of my favorite 'eye candy' scenes is when shrek breaks a keg and incredibly realistic ale comes out. I couldnt have asked for a better movie!!! My whole family loved it, (it is my mom's favorite movie now), ALL of my friends love it and it is just an overall great movie. I give it 4 out of 4 stars because; Amazingly good story Great Acting (I love Cameron Diaz and Mike Meyers any time on film, and they are great here, and I actually found Eddie Murphy to be hilarious for once. Plus all the voices work great!) Great effects, the whole movie looks amazing The sound effects and the music is great as A Must See Movie-literally!

Great movie

Author: richard-wheeler from Gauteng, South Africa
11 July 2003

This was a great animated movie, with a good voice character Mike Myers.

This is filled with good laughs!

This is an enjoyable movie, and I recommend it to anyone who likes animated comedy

oh, shrek, shrek, shrek...

Author: queenofmisery
10 July 2003

hillariously good movie that brings together all your favorite fairy tales and even a few mother goose stories, who would have thought such an innocent seeming movie would make you laugh so hard? then again, you gotta look at the fact that it stars usual multi-character mike meyers in the lead role as an... ogre??? yep, an OGRE, and BIG mouth eddie murphy as a donkey friend. somewhere in the middle is cameron diaz and john lithlow... odd combination, but the result is very entertaining comedy fun for all ages. if at least one of these loving characters doesn't find a place in your heart, with all due respect, you must be dead.

Hilarious and Cute

Author: Natalie Jubbage (ninelives@rock.com) from Indiana, USA
27 June 2003

This movie is beyond adorable. This movie is a spoof on fairy tales, a feel-good movie, a fun movie to memorize, a movie that everyone would enjoy (though generally guided toward teen audiences)and basically just a movie you'll want to watch over and over again.

Mike Myers, famous for Austin Powers, is making a comic comeback as a lovable, hatable Ogre who's life is turned upside down when he runs into a strange and talkative donkey (Wonderfully and naturally portrayed by Eddie Murphy) Set on a quest assigned by the great Lord Farquad (Hilariously portrayed by John Lithgow) to rescue Princess Fiona (adorably portrayed by Cameron Diaz) from a tower guarded by a flirty GIRL dragon.

I would reccommened this to anyone, especially those who like to make fun of fairy tales. This is the perfect topping.

Definately an anti-Disney film, but has the same humble qualities to any pixar film

Author: andynortonuk from Oxford, England
17 June 2003

Shrek is truly a gem in the standards of animation, which it truly deserved any award that it received, especially the Oscar for Best Animated Feature. Why? Well, it was just the best-animated film of that year!

A truly unique adaptation to a children's picture book, where in the book Horribly hideous Shrek leaves home and terrifies everyone he encounters in his search for his equally ugly bride. While the feature film makes this somewhat simple children's story into a hilarious anti-Disney animated comedy! Now, according to the film, our title character (voiced brilliantly by Mike Myers) is an agreeable enough ogre who wants to live his days in peace. When the diminutive Lord Farquaad (voiced by John Lithgow) evicts local fairy tale creatures (including the now-famous Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio and the Gingerbread Man), they settle in the ogre's swamp and Shrek wants answers from Farquaad. A quest of sorts starts for Shrek and his new pal, a talking donkey (played brilliantly by the incredible comedian Eddie Murphy), where battles have to be won and a princess (Cameron Diaz) must be rescued from a dragon lair in a thrilling action sequence! This plot is the kind of entertainment that certainly made the film the beloved classic that it is today!

This is definitely suitable for anyone that hates Disney films (so I will like it as I cannot stand their over-rated pieces of work) as this spoofs most of their films, from Pinocchio all the way to Mulan, was ironically Murphy was involved! However, I disagree that it spoofs Pixar, except spoofing the good A Bug's Life. But, to be honest I find Pixar branded Disney, just because this conglomerate presents their work is a bit pointless, as all the work of Pixar is ten times better then the stuff Disney spew out to the public throughout the years. But I do not just make a contrast to Pixar films because that it is done wonderfully in computer animation, or that one of its films, Monster's Inc., was up for that Oscar too, but because it possesses the qualities that make Pixar films excellent. First of all the humour, visually and verbally, great music, by earning Bafta, Saturn, and Grammy nominations to prove it, and family appeal, colourful characters for the kids and interesting humour and spoofs of action films for the adults!

So what I can I say to conclude my review. Great Voices provided by a brilliant cast to one of the best films to be based on a children's book! In addition, with many Annies for its impressive animation, this film has plenty of awards to prove its brilliance! Overall, definitely an anti-Disney film but has the same humble qualities to any Pixar film!