IMDb > Shrek (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 96:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A new Green Giant for a new millenium

Author: spiritualone (spiritualone@hotmail.com)
20 May 2001

Shrek (Michael Myers) is an ogre who lives in a swamp by himself. He wants to be by himself because he is very insecure about his looks and the way he's perceived. Meanwhile, in the kingdom of Farquaad, many of the fairy tale characters that we all know and love including the three little pigs, the big bad wolf, fairies, the three bears and snow white are being banished. On the roster to be banished is one talking donkey by the name of....well, Donkey (Eddie Murphy). Donkey becomes a sweet and hilarious thorn in the side of Shrek. While eating, Shrek is horrified when his swamp is disturbed by the banished fairytale creatures, at the hands of Lord Farquaad (John Lithgow). Shrek learns that in order to get his swamp back, he has to talk to Lord Farquaad. Meanwhile, Farquaad keeps one treasured fairytale item, the magic mirror from Snow White, for himself. He uses it to find himself a princess. The dialogue between he and the mirror is hilarious because it switches to an episode of the dating game with the mirror giving him three choices: Cinderella, Snow "She lives with seven men, but she's not easy" White and Princess Fiona. The knights in full armor coach the prince to choose princess number three, the lovely Princess Fiona ( Cameron Diaz). Fiona is locked in a tower that is protected by a female dragon. When Shrek finally reaches the kingdom o' Farquaad, he is thrown in a WWF wrestling parody that is hilarious. Recognizing his strength, Lord Farquaad makes a deal with the ogre: get me the girl and I will give you the swamp back. Shrek accepts the deal and begins his journey with Donkey in tow.

Shrek is a very clever film on many levels. It's a fairytale in every sense of the word. Listen to the way the lines are written, the way the characters speak, the way the story flows. The guys at Dream Works did a good job with this in that you could close your eyes and the dialogue flows as though you're having a story read to you. What makes this movie clever is the fact that it's a fairytale that spoofs fairytales. For example, in most fairytales, the prince is a tall, dark, handsome, kind and dashing man that isn't complete until he finds his one true love to give his heart to. Yet Lord Farquaad is very short, sort of pale, not attractive, very evil, and lacking in the dashing department. Even his name is awkward in that he calls himself a lord when he is just a prince. In most fairytales, the princess is a beautiful, fragile, dainty and submissive young lady. That isn't the case with our Princess Fiona. She's an up front talkative young lady that kicks butt in a hilarious Matrix parody. The fairytale characters, unlike their particular stories, are at a dead end. Their stories can't end because they have no where to go.

Shrek is a pure stroke of genius. It's campy for the kids and sarcastic and hilarious for the adults. It has a voice ( which a lot of movies forget to include in the recipe these days ) in that it preaches the age-old adage that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. From a technical aspect, the movie pushes the technological envelope. While watching the film and watching Shrek and the other characters move and frown, I was quickly thrown back to the time I saw Disney's Dinosaurs. You will notice a lot of the same computer animation (deep canvas) used in this movie. As for the voice-over work, the best of the best were assembled. At first, I didn't like Mike Myers' voice or Scottish accent at all. It didn't it fit the look of the ogre that was created or the ogre we know from past fairytales. Then I realized that's what the guys at Dream Works were trying to do. They wanted an ogre that no one knew someone you would have to get to know. Once you get to know him, Shrek is very likable. His story is one that has the power to create sequels and spinoffs. The movie has been in the making for a long time. It was reported that Chris Farley was originally intended to voice the ogre. Never the less it is truly a great movie.

The story of an Ogre, a Princess and a Donkey

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
7 September 2007

Everything about 'Shrek' has probably already been said but here's my little comment. 'Shrek' is definitely one of the most enjoyable flicks. There has been tremendous work put in the animation process. Yet, the makers haven't given the screenplay any less considerations and we are told a heartwarming but relevant story. Though the characters of Shrek, Fiona and Donkey are original (maybe Donkey is from the Musicians of Bremen?), we also meet various fairy tale characters spoofed into the screenplay providing us several hilarious moments.

Among the voice talents, Eddie Murphy steals the show with his loud, expressive and vivacious voice. He also gets the best lines. No wonder Donkey remains the favorite character. Mike Myers is adequate. However, he doesn't seem to get the accent right all the time. Cameron Diaz is good and John Lithgow does his part very well.

I consider the soundtrack a must-buy. It boasts of a compilation of famous song that fairly contribute to the screenplay as background score. The writers deserve more credit for providing those memorable hilarious moments such as Fiona singing with the bird, Donkey and Dragon's affair, the snake and frog balloons and numerous other sketches.

However, on the downside, there are a few plot holes e.g. Dragon's attraction towards Donkey isn't explained and why does Lord Farquaad torture the Gingerbread man? How would the Gingerbread man know about the others? Yet, the main plot of Fiona and Shrek mostly makes up for this flaw.

Without any doubt, 'Shrek' is one of the best family flicks of recent time. Kids will love the colours and the fairy tale characters and grown-ups will love the witty dialogues and intelligent humour and most would love the story.

Some

Author: onkelmonkel
31 May 2017

Body once told me the world is gonna roll me I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb In the shape of an "L" on her forehead

Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running Didn't make sense not to live for fun Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb So much to do, so much to see So what's wrong with taking the back streets? You'll never know if you don't go You'll never shine if you don't glow

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid And all that glitters is gold Only shooting stars break the mold

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder You're bundled up now, wait till you get older But the meteor men beg to differ Judging by the hole in the satellite picture The ice we skate is getting pretty thin The water's getting warm so you might as well swim My world's on fire, how about yours? That's the way I like it and I never get bored

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid All that glitters is gold Only shooting stars break the mold

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show, on get paid And all that glitters is gold Only shooting stars

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas? I need to get myself away from this place I said yep what a concept I could use a little fuel myself And we could all use a little change

Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running Didn't make sense not to live for fun Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb So much to do, so much to see So what's wrong with taking the back streets? You'll never know if you don't go (go!) You'll never shine if you don't glow

And all that glitters is gold Only shooting stars break the mold

Wonderfully irreverent family film with lots of laughs

Author: Kris Morris from Arizona
12 June 2004

The filmmakers obviously have some irreverence regarding Disney, and it's about time I say. Especially with the rather un-Disneylike behavior the studio has engaged in for the past dozen or so years. The anti Disney jokes are so much fun (our favorite is the "small world" parody!). I have to wonder what DULOC means! I have listened to the commentary on the DVD, done Google searches, looked through the trivia on IMDb, all to no avail. I wonder what the big secret is. Anyway, this is a family favorite of ours. The jokes may go over the heads of small children, but they will still enjoy the animation. The music is fantastic. My teenager even bought the soundtrack to it.

Another example of the masses settling for less. . .

Author: gregorykmitchell from nyc
7 March 2002

For anyone who A) believes that Shrek actually deserves an Academy Award nomination, and wasn't celebrated as such as a result of studio politics in a year where three huge entertainment conglomerates happened to release big-budget computer animation films (Disney, Paramount, Dreamworks) or B)that the movie was actually any good, please examine the following:

- Shrek pales in comparison to Pixar's Monster's Inc., and for very obvious reasons. Shrek desperately relies wholesale on it's (beware of the following buzzwords) "cheeky/sarcastic/irreverent/ironic/tongue-in-cheek/post-modern" send ups of classic fairy tales and folklore and . . . . not much else. I mean, it surely isn't relying on the completely NON-EXISTENT chemistry between Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy. Shrek is Eddie Murphy's most UN-funny performance since Vampire In Brooklyn; and Mr. Myers starting getting truly & incorrigibly irritating by the time the first Austin Powers hit video. His disappearance from America's pop culture radar is long overdue.

- The story: Monsters, Inc. - like each and every one of the very excellent Pixar films - has heart and a warmth that cleverly (and NOT insultingly) touches every generation of viewers. Monsters, Inc. is able to speak to the audience in very touching and enjoyable ways, much like Toy Story 2; adults can remember/enjoy/get teary-eyed over their childhoods in a very sweet way, while enjoying seeing the joy and glee in their own kids' eyes while being entertained by the very excellent John Goodman, Billy Crystal and Steve Buscemi (see some other long-winded Monsters, Inc. reviewer for story/plot details). What do we get from Shrek? A dragon that falls in love with the donkey - not for sincere emotional effect, but for dumb sexual comedy. Shrek is empty, hollow and cad-ish in comparison, without a single level of emotional resonance; Monsters, Inc. achieves several, handily.

- The comedy: The performance of a comedy team like Goodman & Crystal speaks for itself compared to the forced, joyless interaction between Myers' unlikeable Shrek and Murphy's neutered donkey. Goodman and Crystal - probably by virtue of Crystal's deep comedy roots & Borscht Belt classicism - touch on hammy old humor, updated and "modern" laughs and the good old goofy stuff for the wee ones. In fact, Monsters, Inc. struck me immediately as one of the least gag-oriented Pixar flicks - a lesser writing/producing team (ahem, Dreamworks) would rely on nothing but predictable monster gags in the same context. Don't believe me? Save for the Gingerbread Man scene, Shrek's "clever" gags are tired, overdone versions of the kinds of things we *really* laughed with in greats like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the shorts of Chuck Jones & Tex Avery. The animation & cartoon industry has been lampooning themselves (and related genres like fairy tales, comic books, etc.) with good humor since the 1930s - do we need Shrek to do this for us again, now?

- The animation: It's impossible to not touch on this: Shrek's design is about as likeable & attractive as that of Antz, Dreamworks' other totally missed-the-mark and, well, ugly animated film. No one took any creative liberties with the environment and setting - we get an anonymous forest, a castle, a countryside. Wow. The setting of Monsters, Inc. is a visual carnival of original ideas and imaginative film making. Taking it's cues from existing influences and bettering them, or at the very least making them dazzle on their own, is half the reason animation exists - did YOU get that from the generic look and feel of Shrek?

I will be thrilled - and honestly shocked - if the "voters" choose Monsters, Inc. over the huge-selling and grossly overrated Shrek. I've been conditioned to expect so little from fellow movie goers (see: Snatch and A Beautiful Mind's inexplicable presence in the IMDB.com Top 250) that I totally expect the more inferior film to get the award (notice, if you will, that I'm not even entertaining the thought of throwing Jimmy Neutron into this discussion - although, a comparison between Neutron and Shrek is probably more appropriate; it's easier to sort the trash that way, isn't it?).

Beautifully computer-animated fairy tale: a gentle morality play, very skillfully done.

Author: nickfortis from United States
26 January 2005

I'm an old dude, 75 to be exact, and in my working days I was everything from a mainframe programmer to a HiTech startup Tech Admin. This sentence is here only to show why I am interested in the productions of Dreamworks and, of course, Pixar. Coming from a computer background permits me to be very, very impressed with the wonderful skill and creativity that go into making movies such as Shreck.

Now then: The movie itself is marvelous! The characters are gentle and funny; there is no gratuitous violence; there are innuendos, of course, but skillfully done in a way that the "libretto" if you will can be "read" at least two levels. The story line itself is charming, and the ending is a real, nifty surprise!

I add here that I've watched this with my younger G_Kids, who loved it; and also with my bride of fifty years, who loved it.

It is in all ways in a class with the best that Mr. Jobs has so far produced, which is saying a great deal.

HIGHLY recommended as good, funny, charming entertainment for a whole bunch of ages.

Nick Fortis Los Altos California

Overrated but not too bad

Author: Elgroovio from Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
9 July 2004

I really don't think much of this over-popular computerised film. It is vulgar and unfunny most of the time. But there are enough gags here to keep this film going at a steady and mildly enjoyable pace. Also, Eddie Murphey is in top form as Donkey, Mike Myers provides a passable Scottish accent for Shrek, and Cameron Diaz suits her part too. But if you are looking for good computer animation films then turn to Pixar. A thing which makes me dislike this film more is the fact that at the oscar ceremony a couple of years ago, it beat Pixar's "Monsters, inc." for the oscar for best animated film. "Shrek" isn't awful, but I get a bit bored after a while of watching a grumpy ogre farting and burping his way into the hearts of audiences around the world. 6/10

Watched this again today - it's still fantastic!

Author: MsMovie from United States
5 June 2004

I saw this movie when it originally came out at the cinema, and I thought it was one of the best animated movies ever done - a great comedy too.

Anyway, I have not seen Shrek 2 yet, but since my mother has decided she wants to see it too we watched the first Shrek today, as she had never seen that particular film.

It is probably one of the funniest movies I have seen in the last 5 years or so - animated or live action. The humour appeals on so many levels - the kids watching get all the fairy tale jokes and so do the adults, and then there are a lot of one liners, especially from Eddie Murphy's Donkey character and from Mike Myers as Shrek, which only the adults in the audience truly get.

And the story is really good too - there is a moral point in there that all the kids I know really got, and one boy (who is facially disfigured himself), said it was nice to see that even though she an ogre still at the end, Shrek loved her anyway and still thought she was beautiful - if only life was like that all the time!

Shrek is a film that both adults and children will want to watch over and over again and it deserves to have made the millions it did for all involved.

I rated this film as a 10 because it is a great movie, if I gave it less that would be saying there was something slightly wrong with it, but really I couldn't fault it.

A great movie experience for all the family!

These Animation Movies Of The 21st Century Keep Getting Better

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
5 August 2006

I enjoyed this first and second times I saw it and that was enough. By then, the second film came out and I preferred that one over this. My only complaint about this movie was Eddie Murphy's character yakking incessantly. It gets on your nerves after awhile. Give it a rest, Eddie!

The rest of the characters and the film are strictly fun and combination of kids' innocence and some adult humor (which hopefully goes over the heads of kids). Mike Myers' Scottish accent on the lead character "Shrek" is just right. The characters mouthed by Cameron Diaz and John Lithgow did little for me. This is mainly Myers and Murphy's show.

The colors in this animated film are beautiful, spectacular at times. It's just state- of-the-art artwork. The screen sometimes is filled with so many things - especially when all the fairy tale characters are pictured at once - that it's hard to focus on just one. There are lots of extras on the two-disc DVD set, too.

If you liked this, check out the sequel, because it's even better.

Huge disappointment

Author: oldmovieman from NYC
3 September 2005

After reading so many positive reviews I was really looking forward to this movie which I expected to be clever and satirical. Instead, I saw a coarse, vulgar and essentially mean-spirited send up of Disney-style animated fairy tales wholly lacking in originality. Endless fart and gross out humor, obvious references to other movies (hey guys -- just because you can reference a Hidden Dragon fight sequence doesn't make your movie interesting or funny), a predictable plot, and the self-contradiction of the theme (we're all beautiful) with the attacks on the short and the fat(all short people are Napoleon wannabees, the Princes is ugly when she's fat), overwhelm the few good lines in the movie. Plus, the animation is terrible; I've no doubt that it's technically excellent but artistically it looks blocky and low budget. If you're thinking of renting this for the kids, it's too crude. And for yourself, too stupid.

Page 2 of 96:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]