IMDb > Shrek (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 93:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Brilliant humor!

Author: J. Phillips (smashattack) from Colorado
8 September 2002

Shrek is completely new. Never has a fully CGI movie taken on the twists, turns, and surprises as Shrek has. It's a full parody of numerous fairytales, and its humor is, well, humor at its best. Grown men will laugh at the jokes of Farquaad's Stature and the hidden meaning behind every little comment. Of course Shrek, like all other movies, has its emotional moments (so what if I lied about it being completely new?). And these moments aren't cheesy or anything. They are kind of funny, but at the time of viewing you won't really feel like laughing. You'll feel like the characters.

Like its CGI, Shrek has taken a new dimension. It stretches out. You're in the movie. No, wait, you're watching a movie. It's so hard to tell. The characters are so real, so lifelike, it makes you feel you're there. The environments are realistic, yet still animated. The wind whispers through the grasslands and the characters' hair; the lightning and clouds are really there... aren't they?

I was stunned and absorbed in this movie. And unlike other movies, it has more than just CGI. It's actually got a plot. And what a plot it's got! This one is totally new. Shrek is ordered to rescue a princess from the fiery keep guarded by a dragon in order to clear out his swamp of the menacing fairytale creatures.

But it doesn't stop there. The movie is full of surprises and stretches on further into what actually happens after. The dialogue demands your attention throughout the movie, and then the dragon comes in. Whenever you see the dragon, you'll know good things are bound to happen (but not necessarily for the characters in the movie). The dragon is a comic relief, but still provides most of the action in the movie. She chases Donkey and Shrek through the keep, she flies to help rescue Fiona from a despicable marriage, and she even has the satisfaction of swallowing a midget.

Now some disputes have arisen about certain things. But I must say what I always say: this is only a movie, and it has no deeper meaning (despite the parodies). Take it as it is. There can be nothing offensive from Shrek unless you have something against overthrowing tyrants and good-natured humor.

I must take a moment to speak about Donkey. He is, and always will be, one of my most favorite characters in the world of movies. Eddie Murphy was, no doubt, the perfect actor for him. He is so funny, so unique, and so... fluffy. What a perfect donkey! His design is flawless and his dialogue perfect. I can find nothing bad about this character.

Shrek is perfect for everybody to see. The little ones will love the vivid colors and lush landscapes. The adults will enjoy this as well as the intelligent humor and deep plot. And no one could dislike the arrangement of songs. They fit really nice into the movie. Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell's composed music is impressive (especially the theme for Escape from the Dragon).

Shrek is brilliant moviemaking. With a groundbreaking DVD, an all-star cast, great music, excellent graphics, and a great parodized yet original plot and storyline, Shrek is no doubt one of the best movies I've ever seen.

A Wonderful Achievement

Author: mjw2305 from England
1 February 2005

Shrek is a wonderful parody of every fairytale story that you can think of, for the kids it has charm, humour and tons of fun, and is a delightful film for them to enjoy. In addition, Shrek has plenty of subtle innuendo and more adult themes running seamlessly along side the story, much of which may pass younger children by, without spoiling any element of their enjoyment; while at the same time enhancing the enjoyment for the older viewers.

Shrek is simply so well created that it can successfully appeal to a huge audience excellently voiced as it is, by Mike Myers, John Lithgow, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy.

Brilliant characters, solid script and hilarious parody, make this film a simply wonderful achievement, and that's without mentioning the awesome computer generated world that houses it.

Left-field fairy tale left us rolling in the aisles

Author: agc110 from Canberra, Australia
17 June 2001

9 OUT OF 10!!!! We went to catch the matinee preview of "Shrek". We were still giggling by the time we got home afterwards. Two hours later, we dragged a friend out and went back for the evening show. Some of the shock value was lost, but we caught a few of the background sight gags we missed the first time, and anticipation of some of the other scenes had us in tears before they even happened. Interesting to see the different audience reactions of different age groups, too. This is a *very* funny movie, but it should be noted that most of the kiddy humour is on the burp/fart and yucky dining habits level - Shrek is rather closely related to Raymond Briggs' Fungus the Bogeyman without the orange mohawk. The dialogue and main action quips are mainly aimed at adults and sophisticated kids. One little voice in the afternoon audience piping up "WHAT's he compensating for?" cracked me up...

Be warned that this movie is a non-stop send-up of all things Disney. If predictability and saccharine is your cup of tea, you may not like it. On the other hand, if you are cynical about theme parks and like the idea of fairytale classics getting the Monty Python treatment, you'll love it. Every time a scene looks familiar, it means it is about to go pear-shaped. And it's not just old classics that get the treatment. I spotted (mis)quotes from films that are just being released, both Disney and non-Disney. You name it, it gets an affectionate pie in the face at some point in "Shrek".

As a fairytale, however offbeat, "Shrek" is tighter plotted and better characterised than most Hollywood dross.The parodic twists, a love story subplot that owes more to Shakespeare's comedies than fairytale formula, and the "ugly is the new beautiful" Message more than make up for the derivativeness due to extensive quotation.

As for the acting, confinement to voice-overs keeps the egos of Myers and Murphy in check, and they do a fantastic job as the big fat green smelly recluse and the obnoxiously manic donkey respectively. Diaz is great as a feisty princess who reminds me of Lloyd Alexander's Eilonwy crossed with Lara Croft. Lithgow's Farquaad is a wonderful Bad Guy, modelled on Olivier's Richard III apart from his Little Problem being different. And the Fairytale Creatures...excellent, all of them. The graphics, of course, are state of the art for at least another 2 weeks. We're talking freckles, skin pores and stubble, pupil dilation, and amazing light-and-shade. They had to tone down the realism of the humanoids to stop them looking creepily android-like.

Highly recommended, except for overly precious schmalz addicts.

Shrek is a delight for all ages!

Author: Renee Williams (Reneewill5) from United States
12 September 2001

Shrek is a movie like no other. It stands alone in its appeal to people of all ages and in its presentation of comedy, romance, and creative story line. Shrek is a delightful comedy about a crude ogre, an energetic princess, a witty donkey and an uptight ruler. The movie has a brilliant story line, following the path of an initially moody ogre as he discovers friendship and love all in the face of hysterical comedy. The story line is layered for different levels of understanding; it is an enjoyable film for people of all ages. One clever tool Shrek uses to humor the audience is its spoof on other fairy tales. In one scene, Princess Fiona's singing causes a bluebird to explode. And in another scene, the Magic Mirror's description of Snow White is "She may live with seven men, but don't be fooled, she's not easy." While these subtle comedic lines amuse adults, it is the simple humor, such as the movie opening with the ogre sitting in a swamp "farting," that amuses children. The amazing cast of Shrek, including Eddie Murphy and Mike Myers does a great job of living up to their comedic expectations. Shrek has something for everyone; it is a great animated tale that is wonderful for adults and children alike.

Green Power

Author: Bill Slocum (bill.slocum@gmail.com) from Greenwich, CT United States
10 June 2004

"Shrek" is fun. People who haven't seen this movie, and are wary of seeing what's popular, should give it a try. It's worth watching, and will probably win you over.

Taking a Fractured Fairy Tale approach to a "Beauty And The Beast"-type plot, throwing in a few mild profanities, flatulence jokes, and Michael Myers' over-the-top faux-Scots accent, "Shrek" shows off a very snarky humor, full of jokes that will likely go over the heads of a cartoon's target audience while registering with their parents. 'Sure it's big enough, but look at the location,' Shrek observes upon seeing a giant castle in the middle of nowhere. The kids, though, will love 'Shrek' every bit as much. It's impossible not to be carried along by its merry madness.

Myers, as the title character, is certainly easier to take than he was in his last Austin Powers movie, his voice work registering real tenderness as well as the expected laughs as a misunderstood ogre who would rather tell a group of frightened villagers about the cruelties he will inflict on them and their dead bodies than cause those villagers any genuine harm. He's a bit of a softie, actually, and scared to let anyone know it.

Cameron Diaz is as beautiful to listen to hear as she is to look at in her other films. Her character, Princess Fiona, doesn't have as much room to shine as Shrek (the balance turns out better in the sequel) but she does well with what she's given.

The comic highpoints in terms of voice characterization is Eddie Murphy as Shrek's donkey companion and John Lithgow as nasty Lord Farquaad, who wants to rid his domain of Duloc of all fairy tale creatures. Murphy never stops being funny even as he helps set up key plot moments; in fact he's never been this funny since the first "Beverly Hills Cop" movie. "We can stay up late, swapping manly stories, and in the morning, I'm making waffles," the donkey tells a much put-upon Shrek, and you still laugh the fifth time you hear it. Lithgow just makes you smile whenever he opens his mouth, like when he grills a hapless gingerbread man in such a convoluted way it turns into a nursery-rhyme recitation.

Why exactly Farquaad is grilling this gingerbread man so closely isn't clear, and there are similar plot holes throughout the movie. Shrek may be too tame a character; we never really feel any worry around him. The donkey falls into a relationship with a dragon that screams "plot convenience," and there are strange little bits of cruelty, like turning a frog and snake into balloons, which just is thrown out there and let be.

But the central story, about how Shrek and Fiona struggle to overcome the odds and find true love, is really sweet and well-rendered. The animation is spectacular, a revolution for the eyes in its deep-dish panoramas and remarkable attention to textures. And the jokes keep flying, the major ones as well as hilarious bits of filigree you won't notice the first or second time but reward you for paying attention.

This is not a Disney movie, something "Shrek" makes very clear not only with its PG-13 humor but its knocks at Disney characters like Snow White and at the Magic Kingdom in the form of Duloc, where an array of "It's A Small World"-type dolls lecture Shrek and Donkey on all the things NOT to do. Frankly, "Shrek" could use a little injection of Disney heart, but Disney could use some of this picture's freshness as well. A very charming movie worth your time.

Wicked

Author: jaywolfenstien from USA
2 December 2003

Shrek is one hell of an animated ride, and right when you're certain you know where to expect the next gag it one ups you. If you need a reason to see Shrek, here is that reason: imagine Eddie Murphy as an annoying not to mention obnoxious talking donkey. Yeah. Eddie Murphy gives Robin Williams a serious run for his money in terms of greatest animated side kick. From there we get Mike Myers voicing a big green ogre, who plays off Eddie Murphy with perfect comedic timing like the two were meant to do this film together.

Shrek is merciless in its humor. Targeting everything from fairy tales to Disney films to narrative clichés to bad puns, sliding in its own commentary, all the while giving the typical fantasy story a few modern twists and turns to deliver a strangely original unoriginal story with original unoriginal characters . . . that doesn't make sense, but Shrek does, does it well, and doesn't care. And you never know where this humor is going to come from, either – either visual gag, musical nod, or spoken dialogue. All three provide their share of narrative and commentary to the concepts in Shrek.

I think the beauty of Shrek is it's taken the typical fairy tale (which all of us have heard), and it answers the silly 'what if . . .' and 'why don't they ever . . .' questions we tend to ask. But that's not the core of the story - the core of this story is the friendship between Shrek and Donkey, which works in a funny goofball, but touching and unique way. If the audience can buy into Shrek and Donkey's relationship to one another, then they can believe entire film (which more or less focuses on the adventure the two share together). True, Shrek has a love theme . . . but it's Donkey and Shrek who sustain the film through most of the picture.

As for Cameran Diaz and John Lithgow, while not on screen as much as our two heroes, still play an important role. I wouldn't want to downplay Lithgow and Diaz who do bring their respective characters to life, but Shrek is a tale about an enduring friendship with a romance story on the side.

State-of-the-art computer animation used to tell a cracking little story

Author: Peter Hayes from United Kingdom
4 September 2003

Shrek is a green ogre who lives in a swamp, but his king sends him on a mission which he must complete to get his own land back.

You only have to watch ten minutes of this film to realise that this is going to be a classic. Eddie Murphy being employed as a wisecracking donkey was a casting dream and plays well against the more plain Shrek, voiced by Mike Myers.

Ok the plot is old, new, borrowed and blue (all recaps and references to fairy tales), but I don't care. It is all so much good fun and better than that, the kind of thing that can be enjoyed by young and old, male or female. It is really a dream of movie and some brilliant pop tunes are employed that really work fantastically against the images. Real tear-to-the-eye stuff.

A real bliss-out of a movie and all parties should be congratulated for making it so great. A real DVD buyer, because it can be enjoyed over and over again. Bring on the follow up, I can't wait.

Good quality entertainment.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
1 October 2004

I'm not one of those persons who praises "Shrek" all the time as one of the greatest movies ever made, like many other persons seem to do. Quite frankly I never really understood what the hype was all about. But still you have to give credit to this movie, it's very entertaining and fun to watch over and over again.

A good sidekick is always important, especially in an animated movie. A good sidekick can make the movie better but a bad sidekick can really ruin a movie. "Shrek" doesn't have a good sidekick...it has an excellent sidekick! Donkey is a wonderful and entertaining character thanks to Eddie Murphy who voiced him. The other main voices are provided by Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz and John Lithgow.

Further more I would like to add that I absolutely love the character Pinocchio in this movie.

The story is told in a good way with a nice pace, I especially like how subtle some Disney movies and characters are spoofed. But for some reason I never really found the story in general that very appealing.

The movie is well animated and it shows that DreamWorks is a worthy competitor for Pixar.

The music is good and takes the movie to an higher level and I'm not just talking about the evergreen songs but also about the movie soundtrack by John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams who know how to compose a good and fun score for animated movies.

Although it's getting more credit than it really deserves, it's still a fun and entertaining animated movie.

The greatest fairy tale never told.

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
16 November 2005

Shrek is an awesome movie! Based in the ordinary fairy tales,the main thing here is to break the rules and the enchantment of those stories and show it all in a different way; Why the prince needs to be so perfect? Why the princess needs to be so beautiful?Why they need to live in a perfect castle?Why can't the royals be problematic? All of these answers are more than answered in Shrek. By the way, this is a movie with lots of humor. :)So, be prepare to laugh. (Donkey is annoying, but the biggest part of the fun comes from him!)

Ps: All the cast is great as well. I already know Eddie Murphy's and Mike's(Myers)abilities as comedians,but I could never imagine that Cameron Diaz could be so perfect to do Fiona! Her voice is really cute, and I really cannot imagine a better one for Fiona ,than Cameron Diaz 's voice!

A wonderful movie

Author: MovieTrey
3 July 2001

I never set the bar too high for children or animated films because adults can never seem to get into them. Adults go to animated films because their kids complain and fuss and drag them to see it with them. Meanwhile, the parent is stuck there trying to watch the movie, but can't because all the children are either asleep or screaming their lungs out and the parent just wants to go see the new action flick playing right next door. It's a waste of $7.00, I know. However, Shrek was a real treat to go to and is meant for an older crowd.

The bedtime stories our parents used to tell us as children and which we pass down to ours is retold to please a much older crowd who grew up with these stories. It's a spoof of all the fairy tales that we all know. However, this story has a wonderful twist to it. There's no prince charming and there's no dashing night to save the day. Shrek is an ogar, who has to rescue the princesses so he can get back his land from the storybook characters that have overrun it.

Mike Myers is witty and brilliant as the voice of Shrek. He allows the role of Shrek to come alive. This probably has to be one of Mike Myers' better films, and the great thing about working as a voice animator is that you don't have to spend three hours in make up and another hour or so in wardrobe. You can just get up at six o' clock in the morning go in say your lines and get out.

The other great thing about this movie is that it spoofs of such movies as the matrix and almost any fairy tale ever made. However, it so original in plot.

Eddie Murphy steals the screen as the talking donkey. It seems everything out of his mouth gets wittier and wittier throughout the entire movie. He brightens up the screen with a zany performance.

Cameron Diaz shines as the princesses. She enlightens us with her witty charm and surprising outbursts. John Lithgow plays the devious prince who sends Shrek on the quest to save the princesses. For some reason John Lithgow seems to have an amazing and talented voice. All in all I enjoyed the film and would give it about a 7. If you liked the movie I would suggest watching There's Something About Mary, Wayne's World, and Austin Powers.

Page 1 of 93:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]