IMDb > Blast from the Past (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Brilliant comedy

Author: AKS-6 from Sweden
20 July 2000

What a wonderful film! "Blast from the Past" is charming, sweet, and hilarious. Very funny. The premise is original and interesting, and I thought the film was engrossing and thoroughly entertaining -- I laughed out loud several times. Brendan Fraser is perfectly cast as the goofy, innocent Adam. Alicia Silverstone is better than she's ever been, I'm certainly no fan of her, but she did a more than okay job in this film. But the really ingenious casting decision was to give the roles of Adam's parents to Sissy Spacek and the always brilliant Christopher Walken -- I dare say that the casting of Spacek and Walken in this film is the _opposite_ of type casting, :-).

I really, really liked this film because it is genuinely entertaining, and it is never boring. Brilliant comedy in other words. (8/10)

Relax and enjoy a trip to the past!

Author: amarkey from Lebanon, Pa.
4 April 2004

Need an escape? Here's your ticket! This is a delightful movie depicting life in the past and the shock one can get when fast forwarding to the future. There's something about gong back in time! For those of us who lived thru the 60s as teens, it's a reminder of a more innocent time. Seeing the past come alive in the form of music, baseball cards and even the furniture makes you feel like a window has been opened and you're actually watching family life in the early 60s. Watching the reactions of a full grown man who has been in a fallout shelter with his parents, now coming above ground for the first time is hilarious! Seeing him search for a "non-mutant" girl friend while he learns all about life above ground, is just as funny. You have two choices. You can watch the movie as a critic and look for things that you think "don't work" in the movie.....or, you can relax and enjoy the trip, the jokes, the characters and the trip back to the present! That's what I do, every chance I have to see this "Blast From The Past."

Blast from the Past: 7/10

Author: movieguy1021 ( from Anywhere, USA
17 February 2004

There surely is a lack of originality in movies now. Romantic comedies always seem to have the girl outwit the guy, the guy persisting, and then they finally get together. That's exactly the case in Blast from the Past, except that the guy has been living in a bomb shelter for all of his life. It's a joke that could work for a five minute sketch, or it might just flop overall, but that's not the case here. It's a simple romantic comedy with a huge twist thrown in, which works to the movie's advantage.

Adam (Brendan Fraser) had lived in a fallout shelter for all of his life, because his father (Christopher Walken) thought a nuclear bomb was dropped on the house. 35 years afterwards, Adam goes up to bring supplies and meet a girl, which he does. Eve (Alicia Silverstone) is a feisty, typical 90's American, but since Adam had never met anyone else besides his parents, he just accepts it. Soon he falls in love with her (hence, Adam and Eve), but the reverse is not the same. Will he convince her? Only the cliché on romantic comedies will tell us!

Blast from the Past is surprisingly lightweight romcom. It never goes to take itself seriously, which helps keep the mood light, which is what it's supposed to be. At times it gets silly, including a Benny Hill-ish chase scene, and the obligatory man-who-can't-drive-car-drives-car-wildly scene. A scenario like this could easily descend into heartstring-plucking land, but thankfully stays on the top, and over the top. Director Hugh Wilson, whose resumé includes such movies as the original Police Academy and The First Wives Club, can keep a movie that could turn drastically wrong on the right track.

Fraser is great. It really seemed like he was brought up in a fallout shelter. His mannerisms were all from the sixties, and the way he acted was exactly on key. Silverstone was okay, but nowhere near as good as Walken and Sissy Spacek as Adam's parents. They embody their roles as people who have to live in the same space for 35 years. This movie is everything romantic comedies today don't have: no crude humor, funny lines, good acting, and a fun story. People could really learn a lesson from watching Blast from the Past.

My rating: 7/10

Rated PG-13 for brief language, sex and drug references.

If there was an Oscar for "best little comedy"...

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
1 August 2000

..."Blast" would have likely won. It boasts excellence in all aspects of the film from story to casting to acting to sets to costumes, music, etc. This tight, creative, unpretentious, and lightly romantic comedy romp between a hip "new millennium" chick and an old fashioned stuck-in-a-fallout-shelter-for-35-years guy is a breath of fresh Hollywood air deserving of it's critical acclaim.

Terrific fun time-hopping fish out of water tale.

Author: Ben Parker ( from Australia
19 July 2004

See the movie to find out why, but Brendan Fraser's crazy dad has had him underground for thirty years in an elaborate bomb shelter, so that when Brendan finally goes upstairs in the 90's to get more supplies for his parents, he's in for a bit of a shock.

Christopher Walken is wonderful as the crazy, atomic-age inventor. Alicia Silverstone deserves to be on screen more - she's cute and sassy as the love interest, but still pulls funny faces with her mouth. Brendan Fraser was a perfect choice for the biggest fish out of water ever. His fresh-faced naivety is so convincing. He's larger than life, and sometimes so naive its corny, but he's consistent, so it works. Depending on what mood you're in, Sissy Spacek's part adds psychological depth to the movie or detracts a tad from the fun.

This movie is not at all implausible. There were many people as scared as Christpher Walken during the 60's. In 1962, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, Kennedy and Khruschev were one button press away from blowing us all to smithereens (see Thirteen Days for a historically accurate portrayal of this). And Walken's character is set up as crazy enough to build and stock his shelter with 30 years worth of supplies.

8/10. Terrific fun time-skipping romantic comedy buoyed by the personality of Fraser - perfect to watch with a sweetheart, or with family on a warm weekend in.

I love this sweet, romantic movie!

Author: GraceFromSoCal from United States
28 September 2003

"Blast from the Past" does what it set out to do and it does it beautifully. The whole premise (i.e., a man who was born and raised underground with no contact other than his parents for 30+ years, only to go "above" and find himself in today's world) is brilliant.

Brendan Fraser is perfect as Adam--sweet, naive, and trusting--and reinforces my feelings that he is a very underrated actor. I love Adam's reactions to modernisms that he encounters for the first time, such as the "other man's underwear" scene, the idea that Troy could have a, gasp, COMPUTER! right there in his house, or the "Well good for you!" about Troy being gay.

Alicia Silverstone is wonderful as Eve, as are Sissy Spacek and Christopher Walken as Adam's parents, and the rest of the cast.

It's hard for me to grasp why some folks don't like this movie! In my opinion, it's truly refreshing to see a movie where its main character has manners and class, and does not have to rely on today's standards (such as swearing) to carry the movie.

If you're in the mood to see a cute romantic comedy, do yourself a favor and watch this movie!

It's a cute movie

Author: Kristine ( from Chicago, Illinois
20 May 2004

That's pretty much it. "Blast from the Past" has a decent amount of laughs and fun. Brandon and Alicia are adorable together. And the story is very original and interesting. Adam is a boy who grew up in a bomb shelter with his parents, who fear that a nuclear bomb struck from the cold war. For 35 years they raise Adam to be a perfect gentleman. When he wants to meet a lady and the parents need more suplies for the shelter, they send him up to face the world of the 90's. He meets a girl, Eve. She seems cold at first, but they both fall for each other.

The story lacks a little something in some area. I thought they maybe should've gotten more into the love story, because I felt like it was too quick. But this is a cute and wonderful film. I would recommend for romantic comedy type of lovers. They would more than likely get into the film.

Blast of fresh air

Author: Jack "Rainman" Oates
28 March 2004

Brendan Fraser and Alicia Silverstone are on screen gems in their aptly named characters Adam and Eve. Everything about "Blast From The Past" was superb from the casting of Christopher Walken, Sissy Spacek and Dave Foley to the outstanding performances by everyone made this film so enjoyable.

I could not find one thing wrong with this film because it was that good. Everything in this film was a breath of fresh air and I'm glad I saw this film. Through this movie, it has given me respect for Walken, who has become one of my favorite actors in Hollywood.

The performances by the cast were real and honest. Also, everyone seemed to enjoy each other's company as well as performing in this movie and it showed; furthermore, it also showed up in the box office and rental receipts as people couldn't get enough of this great comedy.

"Blast From The Past" is a worthwhile comedy that deserves everyone's attention. Two thumbs WAY up.

Gives a whole new meaning to time capsules

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
19 February 2000

I thought this was a very funny comedy. The sets used were very realistic, looked just like some of the furniture we used to own back then. The acting was right on target, the dialogue was interesting and amusing, and the story was well done. Made me wonder if this could happen, only not on such a large or lengthy scale. 3 stars.

It certainly is one of the more original romantic comedies

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
23 June 2005

It has never happened, but during the Cold War many people feared that they would be the victim of a nuclear war between the West and the USSR. A lot of those people had visions of living in an atomic shelter for the next three to four decades, perhaps even longer and not being able to see the daylight ever again. Well, it may never have happened, but this romantic comedy shows us what it must be like.

"Blast from the Past" tells the story of Adam Weber. In the 1960's, during the Cuba crisis, his parents locked themselves in the bomb shelter which his eccentric father had constructed for just in case. Having been locked for 35 years, Adam has never seen anything else but the confined space of the shelter. He has never seen anything of the world and has become a very naive man. Now, the doors are unlocked and Adam must venture out into LA to find food and supplies for his family and a non-mutant wife for himself...

Romantic comedies can be found in many forms, but this sure was one of the more original ones. And I must say that I liked it. The acting for instance is more than OK. I liked Brendan Fraser as the naive Adam and together with Alicia Silverstone he forms a nice couple in this movie. Even though the entire story could have used a little bit more developing, overall it looks good and offers some good laughs and plenty of fun for the people who like romantic comedies. I give it a 7/10, perhaps even a 7.5/10.

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]