IMDb > Very Bad Things (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Very Bad Things

Very Bad Things More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 48: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A delicious black comedy

Author: Michael Kenmore from Provo, Utah
7 August 2001

I sympathize with those (notably Roger Ebert) who hated the movie not for what it's about, but HOW it's about. I loved the movie because the film is a rare epitome of authentic black comedy (Heathers - also starring our lovable demented psycho Christian Slater - is the MOTHER of all black comedies...sorry, Dr. Strangelove).

I won't get into the points already made by users below who loath the movie for being grisly, gruesome, repulsive and disgusting. These words are reserved for gory horror films like any Italian/Asian trash horror such as Pasolini's Salo and Men Behind the Sun.

What I liked about the film is it mocks our fear and guilt of being caught and committing transgression. On par with the 18th century French novelist and philosopher Marquis de Sade's literature, Very Bad Things is a moral satire - something that is so exquisite in mixing horror and comedy it's rarely tackled on in movies nowadays.

Very Bad Things is definitely not for the easily offended and squeamish - and this includes the viewers sensitive of racism, sexism and bad morals rampant in the film. Only brave viewers with iron-clad stomach and impenetrable amorality are encouraged to laugh merrily at the horrendous situations that unravel as the film progresses.

To sum up my opinion, this film is dementedly brilliant and morbidly hilarious in every way as the spectacular example of blacker-than-black coffee comedy and satire.

And Very Bad Things has the funniest ending I've ever seen. I never laughed so hard at the ending before. This eased my self-pity for sitting through the movie!

Excellent movie

Author: armand-16 from Eindhoven
21 June 2001

The movie is so complex you don't know when it's at his end. From one problem they get it another problem. The dose of humor during this film is very great and Specially Cameron Diaz and Christian Slater play their role very well. At the moment if left the cinema I knew i bought this film on DVD. And I did.

Very bad movie is "Very Bad Things."

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
18 June 2001

There is something to be said for occasionally watching a very bad movie, as it helps you appreciate the really fine ones. I suspected going into it, that this was not a good movie, and it got worse the longer it went. The writer and director was Peter Berg, a 30-something actor who was best known as a doctor on "Chicago Hope" TV series. What he tried to do here was make a very dark comedy, but the sum of his efforts is just plain junk. Some spoilers follow...

The evil character, and the ultimate catalyst for most of the bad things, is played by "Christian" Slater. What irony in a name. Five guys go to Vegas for a last fling batchelor party, booze, drugs, a prostitute. During sex in the bathroom, the back of the prostitute's head is accidentally impaled on a bathrobe hook. Calming the others down, Slater convinces them it would be better to just bury her in the desert, after all she's "just a prostitute". Until the hotel security guard happens in, sees the body, and he is murdered.

Perhaps the worst thing about the film was the next scene, in the hotel bathroom, where they are dismembering the bodies, to put them in suitcases, to carry out. The director goes out of his way to make it look guresome, with blood and flesh hanging off the saw blade. Just poor, poor taste in film-making.

They get back home, Slater is calm, several of the others are guilt-ridden. Gradually, others get killed off. Daniel Stern's character when his brother rams him and his minivan. Wife (Jeanne Tripplehorn) gets wise, Slater tries to smother her at night, they fight, she gets killed, brother-in-law is shot and killed to make it look like suicide. The bride, Cameron Diaz, "has waited 27 years for this" and is going to walk down that aisle. In a fit, right before the wedding, she bludgeons Slater with the metal base of a large coat rack, and he eventually dies after falling backward at the top of stairs when someone was going to retrieve the rings for the ceremony.

The new husband and friend get into a car accident, flies through the windshield, loses the lower halves of both legs, and is confined to a wheelchair. The death of the couple, whose will specified that thier two sons would be cared for by the new couple. The movie ends with Diaz going crazy in the street, as she realizes what personal hell she now is in.

I believe a good movie could have been made, but not one that tries for comedy with the subject matter as presented. The storyline is not particularly well-tracked, and the acting is far too often "over the top." I predict that in time, this will be remembered as one of the worse movies ever made. It is the very first one that I rate "1" of 10 on the Imdb.

A VERY excellent ending

Author: rhines81
29 May 2001

I have to admit, that the movie in itself is just average. But the characters were played and cast very well. Upon watching the whole movie with mixed feelings of wasting my time and being mindlessly entertained ... along came the ending. I don't think it could have been more fitting ... a very humorous and most excellent conclusion.

A thin line between disturbing and mildly funny

Author: monkeykingma from Salem, Massachusetts
6 November 2000

SPOILER ALERT "Very Bad Things" has got to be one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen that has celluloid. Five childhood buddies go to Vegas for a weekend of nose candy, eye candy, and plenty of booze. Things get a little heated when the boys have a hooker come up only to have her drop dead. To complicate matters further, they end up offing a security guard in the process. This stands out as a particular gruesome scene after the guard is poked in the torso with a wine bottle opener a few times. They end up slamming the bathroom door on him and he screams and slams himself to an agonizing death. When they open the door, his blood is smeared everywhere. My older brother, who's an enormous fan of really twisted black comedy was disturbed by this film and believe me, it takes a lot to disturb him. He was so freaked out that he ended up emailing me what scenes he did not find funny but "disturbing". From a three legged dog to a man getting run through a van. The title says it all. You'd be seriously surprised at watching a cast. Peter Berg is definitely in touch with his dark side.

Very Sick, Very Funny - But should I be laughing?

Author: PBXBear from Jersey City, NJ
5 November 2000

I've watched this movie about 20 times and each time I just find it so funny. But still it's so dark, so demented, so sick that I question - Should I be laughing? Which in truth is what I believe the director and writer were going after. The movie is worth watching every SECOND to see the TRUTH of the plot at the end with Cameron Diaz... Muahahahhaha Muahahahhaha

It's not a comedy. It's a must see horror drama.

Author: David-188 from Ann Arbor, MI
16 September 2000

This is not a date movie, it's definitely not a family entertainment (I personally would give it an NC17 rating), and if you watch it with friends, you'll find yourself trivializing and making stupid fun of the film afterwards. I watched it with my brother, and my first comment afterwards was something like "I could live my whole life, and not see this, and die happy". The movie is about people EXACTLY like you or I, who get into a trouble by an accident that COULD happen to you or me... And then fear and crowd psychology (even though the "crowd" consists of only five people) takes over... and you or I find ourselves behaving in such a way that makes us wonder whether human beings deserve to walk upon this planet. The plot is well thought through, the characters are well written and are easily recognizable, and the way the producers managed to make this human drama into a comedy and keep those in the audience, who can hold themselves from running out in horror and disgust, laughing, is beyond my understanding.

Very Bad Movie

Author: (fandangonoir)
7 September 2000

This flick sucks. It sucks donkeys. What the heck these actors and filmmakers were thinking when they agreed to be apart of this awful, awful, awful movie is waaaaaaaaaaay beyond me. First of all, why didn't they just call the cops after the stripper died? It was an accident and going by the movie up to that point the characters could have easily explained that to the authorities. But then the director wouldn't have had any story for the rest of his gawdawful movie, would he? The final scene is slightly funny I have to say. But other than that this movie is as bad and terrible as all the critics have been saying...

Very Bad Movie

Author: yoka from Amsterdam, the Netherlands
26 August 2000

I rented this movie hoping to see a funny movie with black humour. But after 30 minutes or so I turned it off. I just couldn't watch this anymore. First of all, the characters are so incredibly dumb. How they act in the absurd situations was so frustrating and above all stupid, I did not feel sorry for them at all. "Come on! Don't be this STUPID" was all I could think. Only rent this one when you want to bring yourself down. Not if you're looking for an entertaining, humorous flick.

Very Bad Movie?

Author: Brian from USA
21 July 2000

This movie had a slow beginning. Then, it started to get better. Towards the middle of the movie, i was laughing and smiling. But, just as things couldn't possibly have gotten any worse, they did. Some of the characters that died had no need to be killed. And the end scene after the car crash was pretty trashy too. The very last scene is Cameron Diaz falling over in the road screaming like a mental person. This to me, made me want to throw up. If it wasn't for the okay middle part of the movie, i would never have continued watching it. If you want to watch this movie, just watch it to say you have seen it. I has almost no value and is plain sickening. Plus, why on earth would the guy, before the car crash be thinking about that stupid 'little tree' metaphor? It made no sense to me. In summary, 2 out of 5 stars. **.