IMDb > Very Bad Things (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Very Bad Things

Very Bad Things More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 48: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Author: ( from Cambridge
17 November 2002

*** SPOILERS ***

I have been reading users comments on this film and keep being disappointed by them. Disappointed that this film is not more relished and so mistaken. It is a dark comedy. But it is not slap stick dark humour. It is dark satire, a deeper and more impenetritive subset of the dark humour genre.

This film makes so many observations and comments on society and moral perspectives in 90 odd minutes its remarkable. All the characters react in semi-cliche ways; sensible, guilty, self-preserving, controlling etc. Ironically enough it is the main character, that doesnt really say much, that keeps best control of himself, not Slater who, while trying to control the situation loses control of himself.

Many people do seem to be able to accept undertoned acting alongside with over the top, but I think Peter Berg juggles this so well that it was intensely entertaining through out. People seem not to be able to accept that they dislike the characters. This is vitally important to the film. If there was empathy with the characters, all the violence would be out of place, or turn to slap stick. The characters are however, very familiar, which makes things uncomfortable, but I think the essence to the humour the director wants to present.

I can see that people might not like this film, but I do feel that they are missing the point of it. Sorry to sound snobby or somesuch. I give this 8/10.

Just had to respond to one of the comments below, condemning the way the death of the prostitute was handled.

Surely the whole point of the way the prostitute was handle by the five high, drunk guys was disgraceful. Treating her as an object that could be f*****d, killed and buried in the desert by most of the characters enforces the dislike for them, despite seemingly knowing that kind of person in everything else they do. You are right that women should never be treated or thought of like the girl was, but REMEMBER IT IS ALL HAPPENING ONLY IN A FILM. I do not believe the director/writer, actors and any one else involved were actually as misogynistic as you think they are. And I cannot believe you call yourself a film buff and be offended by this.

Black comedy at it's best

Author: rudski from New York
7 December 2001

The first time I saw this movie, I found myself cringing as things were unfolding and thinking,they're not going to do that!! Watched the movie with a large group of fiends who all thought it was extremely funny, But they all also have a warped sense of humor. can understand why some people don't like it, watched it with my girlfriend who not only hated it, but was also disturbed by it's violence and lack of morality(she refused to watch it to the end).

A Wickedly Funny and Disgusitng Black Comedy!

Author: ( from Boston, MA
1 March 2000

I realize that I'm certainly in the minority here, but truth to be told, Very Bad Things is a wickedly funny and brutal comedy, however, it's all in good fun.

The plot starts out simple, a few days before his wedding, Kyle Fisher (Swinger's John Favreau) and his friends head to Las Vegas for a bachelor party headed by Fisher's pal Boyd (Christian Slater, doing a WAY over the top Jack Nicholson here). All goes well until the stripper dies and thus begins the movie. The characters scramble to hide the evidence of the corpse and accidental murder, however, with each passing scene, the plot twists and turns a little bit more and the bodies keep piling up. Things get even worse when Fisher's fiancee (Cameron Diaz doing her best 'bitch' in a hilarious turn) finds out about what's been going on and gets in on the 'action'.

Very Bad Things is a very, very dark comedy, mainstream viewers will no doubt be disgusted, while politically correct filmgoers will more than likely balk at the proceedings, those with a taste for the dark will find much to relish here. The cast is great, however, Christian Slater steals the show as a held over 80's-ish yuppie whom speaks in self help phrases and has an overly psychotic side. Cameron Diaz plays the bitch to the hilt and with pure relish, and while this film certainly isn't everybody's cup o' tea, it's a movie filled with outrageous, gory and revolting goings on, and those with the ability to tune into their darker sides, will love every minute of it!

Maybe the best film I saw of 1998!

Author: steve layne
21 April 1999

Very Bad Things is maybe the best,and most entertaining movie I saw in 1998! It's sometimes funny,and some scenes are very funny. It never really lets up. Top notch entertainment. It's maybe the best black comedy movie I ever seen. I give this movie ***1/2 out of ****

Very Bad Film.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
8 October 2015

Very Bad Things (1998): Dir: Peter Berg / Cast: Christian Slater, Daniel Stern, Jeremy Piven, Cameron Diaz, Jon Favreau: Miserable comedy that had me disturb when the audience laughed at its senseless violence. It is not funny to see people kill one another yet it is presented as humour in this mindless chunk of dung. A bachelor party goes horribly wrong when a prostitute ends up dead. While five males point blame Christian Slater devises a plan to bury the body in the dessert until a security guard investigates a noise complaint and is shot dead. The bodies are buried but everyday life becomes clouded with guilt until Slater goes berserk. One of them runs his brother over with a car. Slater attempts to strangle a victim's wife but she retaliates by biting his testicles. Absolute garbage full of disgusting images all intended as so-called comedy. Director Peter Berg must have had his mind in the gutter because there are so many ways that this could have been funny, yet instead it is just plain sick. Slater is difficult to read due to motives. Daniel Stern, Jeremy Piven, etc play other members of the party gone wrong and they either try to off each other or Slater decides to attempt it for them. Cameron Diaz plays the frustrated blushing bride whose final scene has her wailing in the street. That was pretty much my reaction after witnessing this bile piece of trash. Score: 0 / 10

Author: hedin_88 from Bosnia and Herzegovina
6 March 2013

I dot get why it got such a poor rating at IMDb. I saw the movie not knowing anything about it and i loved it, to say the least. Its a good cast first of all and the story is just great. The movie is a celebration of moments that will make you laugh and a second later think, what did i just see. Its spiraling out of control just as fast as it should to make all the sense it needs to. What starts off as a simple plan just cant stay that simple. Peter Berg did a great thing writing and directing the movie and make it a continuous flow of unexpected twists and turns that keep on surprising you.

This a great movie i enjoyed very much and that i will recommend.

Just Because They Tell You It Is Supposed To Be Funny, Does Not Make It So.

Author: terminatorjenkins
28 October 2011

The first time I saw "Very Bad Things" was the year that it was released on home video. I rented the VHS at my local gas station and teenage mind was expecting the best from the dark worst of it. Billed as a dark comedy, I did not find it funny. I found it boring. However, many, many, many (more than a decade) years later I have revisited "Very Bad Things," to see if the teen critic missed anything.

Verdict: still a very bad movie.

The dialog is annoying along with the acting. The problem seems to be funny is replaced by loudness and yelling a lot. Everyone is constantly yelling their lines at each other. It is hard to sit through. I am a huge fan of dark comedies, bad comedies, morbid/ bloody humor, and just laughing in general. However, "Very Bad Things" is just bad without being the enjoyable kind of bad to me.

The premise is fun. The movie should have been fun. It's like being in a room of drunk people who are having a good time and laughing at everything, only you're sober and all of their actions are actually annoying and they are just all jerks.

The premise is not really capitalized on in a logical way. I'd watch a remake that fills in the holes. I mean, really, the entire movie hinges on a single incident that in reality never would have played out the way it did. Yes, truth is often stranger than fiction, but this movie did not let me just relax and buy into the logic. Actually, I think stupid people in reality would make the stupid choices some of the characters made, even though it was ridiculously unnecessary, however, the movie did not sell me on it and was just a groaner. Hey morons, just clean up the room and get your stories straight.

VERY BAD THINGS has a good plot but the whole film ends up being sick and disgusting

Author: tonymurphylee from USA
19 June 2008

The plot isn't bad. A bunch of buddies get together for a bachelor party and accidentally murder a prostitute. However, their reaction to that is completely horrible. They decide to cut up the body and bury it in the dessert. In the process of doing this, they end up brutally murdering a security guard as well. Once they have finally gotten rid of the bodies, they try to return home in one piece, but some of them feel too guilty about the ordeal and a lot of people end up dying in very bizarre ways. Does this sound like a comedy? Believe it or not, it is. However, it would take a lot of talent to make something as twisted as this funny. Director Peter Berg only occasionally succeeds. However, most of the material that could be funny ends up being overshadowed by the graphic violence and gore. This film is a little too gory in my opinion. There are some pretty despicable scenes herein. They are the kinds of scenes in which, if you tuned in at those very scenes, they would make the film look like a horror film. One scene in particular involves the sounds of a man bleeding to death on the other side of a door that is being forced shut by the main characters. This kind of violence and comedy can be balanced out in creative ways. Just look at the early films of the Coen brothers. This film just pushes the macabre level a little too far for me to stomach. Overall, the film is effective enough to see at least once, but I want to see a story like this told in a serious light. That could be interesting.

Author: casey_choas66 ( from Toronto, ON
10 July 2002

I'm going to be very blunt here if you take off the word "things" from the title of this movie it could very well describe itself. All the characters ( most noted Cameron Diaz) are to anonying for words and you will find yourself seaching for the fast forward button before 15 minutes is up. All the actors are totally wasted, giving their worst performances to date. The movie is lablled as a dark comedy but in reality there is only one laugh the whole way through and I'm pretty sure that was just a pity laugh. The stroy revolves around the death of a stripper after a wild night of drugs and partying. So instead of phone the cops they decide to bury here in the Las Vega desert and forget anything ever happened. But of course their conscience eats away at them until they can't take it no more and slowy start dying off one by one. I watched this movie on TV and I'm glad that I did because in all honestly it's not worth the rental price. The story is pointless and goes nowhere fast and you won't care one little bit for any of these characters actually the high light of the movie is watching them die off because then you don't need to listen to them whine anymore and if ever a movie had a more stupid ending than Fight Club it is this one at least Fight Clubs ending atempted to be logical this just makes no sense. Avoid this movie.

Very Bad Things indeed!

Author: StanGellner from Dodge City, KS
5 January 2002

I *wanted* to like this movie, I really did! I'm a fan of black comedies, and have always had a soft spot for Christian Slater. While the performances in this film are solid, the execution of what appears to be a bizzare and funny script is haphazard and appears to have been phoned in. I can't quite put my finger on what ruined this film for me, but I do know that this is not a film I will be revisiting or recommending to others. If you want a black comedy starring Christian Slater, my advice is to check out "Heathers" instead.