IMDb > Sparkler (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sparkler

Sparkler More at IMDbPro »

Nervy and sensitive film observes life's gorgeous little truths and sadnesses

Author: rockybottom from Syracuse, NY
8 July 2003

I avoided this movie for the longest time because of the video box, which prominently features Jamie Kennedy and Freddie Prinze Jr. Ugh. However, upon renting it, I was pleasantly surprised. It's actually a unexpectedly entertaining, well-written and acted indie film about a trailer trash chick who dumps her loutish husband and searches for independence. Along the way, she meets up with the before-mentioned teen hearthrobs and acts as a catalyst for their own personal growing experiences. The director imbues his material with a caustic, cynical edge which is refreshingly unique for this type of film, and thankfully prevents it from degenerating into sappy, maudlin Oprah-style "I am woman hear me roar!" melodrama. Park Overall is excellent in the title role, but the real surprise here is Veronica Cartright - who demonstrates more of the comic genius she displayed in "The Witches of Eastwick." Some of her lines had me rolling on the floor.

it sucks that probably no one will ever know about this

Author: Boplock from United States
22 July 2006

If you're reading this,I advise you to go out and rent this,RIGHT NOW.I cant believe this didn't win any major awards,hello,Oscars,you there?I wont tell you the plot,because many people have told it several times.But I'll tell you that this movie gets to you.At first you don't think it'll be anything,but it sneaks up on you!It's just sad that it's so unheard of.This movie is so good,guys.Go see it.

And if you don't like the actors,you should kick yourself right now,because they are all of AMAZING talent.I wish people would stop underrating FPJ.He's really an ABOVE AVERAGE actor,and it makes me sad that people don't see it.People probably think that because of some of his other roles(which any actor would appear bad in).But,he's genuinely a very good actor.

And no one takes Jamie Kennedy seriously either,yet,he too actually has TALENT.Please,rent this and watch all of these actors with an opportunity to spread their wings.They're all wonderful.This movie is very touching.Rent it.Now.

Fantastic Film

Author: rockerchica06 from oregon
11 August 2003

Well first of all I have to say I mainly rented this since I found out that Jamie Kennedy was in it, and I didn't think it'd be that good because well I was only 13-years-old thinking this would be boring. I was wrong though and this turned out to be my favorite independent film by far... It starts off with A 30-something trailer-park lady Melba May (Park Overall)who finds her husband cheating on her with a friend and she soon goes out for the night to "celebrate her freedom". Before she goes to a nearby diner, the calls a psychic who tells her that she will bump into three kings. Well she didn't know that when she went to the diner, that three young guys Trent, Joel, and Brad were her three kings, who were on there way to Las Vegas to win money so they could pay rent. Anyways, many things happen to them all, and some of them have secrets that nobody else ever knew before. This movie shows a variety of people who are diverse and teaches you a few lessons about life. Great cast, great script, every actor gave this movie something that most big blockbuster type films can't.

A movie that gives the term "sleeper", a new meaning.

Author: Hap Trout (HapRay) from Grants Pass, OR
5 January 2001

Boy..what a surprise this flick is. If you are very young or old fashioned, forget it, but if you can handle doses of poverty, abuse,drinking,gambling,dancing girls,sex,travel,mistrust,lesbianism,homosexuality...well....you get the picture (no pun intended). This remarkable film hits a lot of spaces that you and I have travelled in. While the story line is fairly common, it is so well done, that this movie grabs you without you even realizing it at first. Park Overall is the recognizable star here and does her usual good turn, but this movie is "STOLEN" by a phenomenal (and believable) performance by actress Veronica Cartwright (whom I have never heard of) in the role of Dottie Delgado, a Las Vegas showgirl (of sorts), who was a high school classmate of the star (Park). She is mesmerizing in a role that calls for an honesty all it's own. You'll see what I mean when the movie moves on to Las Vegas. It is worth watching this film if only for the Delgado role, but it has it's own icing on the cake in the end, when Ms Overall bring a jolt of "pay-back" to her wandering husband ( a "Trailer trash" jerk). Go for it, and I feel that you'll wind up agreeing with me. For the record, I have an "excellent" ability to spot "enteraining" movies.

Trailer Park Dreams

Author: great_sphinx_42 from The Poppy Field, OZ 69666
11 April 2001

From Darren Stein- who would direct 'Jawbreaker' a year later- comes an odd and likable little movie called 'Sparkler'. Young Mr. Stein has a distinct style, although he has yet to make a truly good movie. He doesn't seem quite capable of pulling together an entire, cohesive film, but both of his movies thus far bear his slightly weird and skewed surrealism. The title refers to the film's main character, Melba May, a middle-aged trailer park princess with dreams of getting out and a husband who nails any and every woman he can get to lie down. She stumbled across three young men at a run-down bar. They are on their way to Vegas to raise rent money. One is Trent, a pie-in-the-sky innocent capable of admiring Melba May's seedy, self-delusional glamour. He is the one who nicknames her Sparkler, and Jamie Kennedy is so cute and lovable in his quirky way that it's impossible not to like him. The other two are more cynical- Joel, dealing with his repressed homosexuality, and Brad, (played by Freddie Prinze Jr. in his only standout performance besides the one he gave in 'The House of Yes') a boy trying to be a Hollywood agent so frightened by life that he has to hide behind bluster and sneers. A lost earring and Brad's business card sends Melba May after them. She wins them their rent money, tracks down her showgirl friend Dottie, and is relentlessly persued by her trailer-trash husband because, unbeknownst to her, she's won a million dollars in the sweepstakes. This is a movie that is probably best characterized as a black comedy, as it deals quite frankly with several unsavory and potentially offensive topics but does so with a sense of humor. It has an odd brand of charm, but it's charm all the same.

"Oh Ed! My eyebrows!"

Author: TonyDood from United States
3 July 2004

This movie started off like a sweet and quirky "Sordid Lives"-esque vehicle for Park Overall, trailer trash and infidelity and other cliches. Then it switched into what the box cover promised, a no-brainer teen buddy comedy.

Then Veronica Cartwright showed up, and all bets were off.

It goes down a weird path, to be sure--are we supposed to care about the grotesques we meet in this film, or be grossed out? Or both? Is it supposed to be funny that Flint keeps yanking women's hair and harassing them (its not funny, it's creepy/mean)? Is this movie on the side of its gay characters or pointing at them in fun along with everything else?

I didn't worry too much after Veronica showed up, because from that point on all I could do was stare in awe at this amazing actress and wonder why she doesn't get more opportunities. I can't believe John Waters hasn't cast her in anything, she'd be perfect.

This movie has two of the greatest laughs I've ever had in a movie, but I'm not sure they were deliberate. One is when Veronica's dessert blows up in her face and she starts screaming,the other is when she's croaking for "Oh, Ed!" at the end. There's just something hysterical about Veronica shrieking and I don't know what it is, but I'm glad the makers of this film exploited it.

I have this movie cued to those 2 scenes and play them when I need to cheer up. My friends like it too; we say, "Sweet Jesus! My eyebrows!" to each other all the time.

Thanks for the laughs and hope to see more quirky, similar material like this soon...

Oh, and Freddy Prinze is as bad as usual (Why does he say "sh" for everything instead of "s," like "shurprise!" Just curious).

Inside this "dog" is a good movie trying to get out.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
13 July 2001

"Sparkler" is a shoe string indie shot in Vegas which throws a bunch of characters from a low life trucker and his wife to a three young broke guys from L.A. to a stripper to a drag queen, etc. into the plot and then struggles for coherence. Buried in this mess of nonsense is a somewhat sentimental story trying to get out. Unfortunately, the real story, which Overall (the title character) almost brings to life, is buried so deep in a lame production that's for most it will never be realized. It took a lot of patience to sit through this film and in the final analysis the liabilities outweighed the assets.

I smile through this entire movie

Author: tannercrane from United States
19 April 2005

a movie with real heart that WILL NOT make you feel icky for liking that characters. Melba and Dottie are better people (and therefore better characters) than most down and outs in movies these days. The movie has a stunning lack of agenda - which is meant as a compliment in that it's emotional payoffs are earned and natural as opposed to being sickly or cynical. Bravo! Why can't they make sequels to little films with epic themes - this plays as a sort of Odyessy trailer park style. Plus, lets give the casting some points for inspiration. I know this movie is coming out on DVD soon, so everybody look out for it - it's a keeper.

Funny Movie and Excellent Soundtrack

Author: darreljohnpoppino from Indianapolis, IN. USA
11 September 2004

I watched the movie, not by choice and I liked it! Though parts of the movie at times had that B flick actor/actress quality, it did have a unique plot.

I also started searching for the soundtrack and have been unsuccessful. Though Deborah Falconer has released an cd entitled: Brave Like Me with a song titiled (CD Release Date: 7/22/2003): "Show of Hands", it is not the same song as in the movie. I would appreciate any comments or links to a site that offers to sale the Sparkler soundtrack. Or, I would be willing to buy a copy from anyone interested offering?

"Show of Hands" Written by Deborah Falconer Performed by Deborah Falconer

auteur alert

Author: gizicki-1 from LA
2 September 2003

GREAT first effort film. Gets better with each viewing. PLEASE don't let Freddy (I can't act, but my wife can) Prinze scare you away - there's a nifty little jewel here. A unique and poignant story being told here...for anyone that's ever felt like their life lacks the "spark" they've always dreamed of. Very sweet...