sad memories

Author: jenny Hancock (cyberbat) from Perth, Western Austalia
8 September 2001

One of the reasons I love this film is the song 'always there' where littlefoot sings a verse about his mother. That has NEVER happened before or since this movie was made and it brought a tear to my eye.

The other songs are fun, the art brightly coloured and it's action packed...What more could a fan want?

Well better voices for one. Chomper and littlefoot both sound like they have a cold. ahh well I can't be too picky.

Kids and long time fans will love it.

oh and chomper comes back too.

Land Before Time Luver

Author: brianelarayne
20 October 2007

I am a HUGE fan of the land before time series i started watching them when I was around 6 or 7. This movie is a very good one that goes by 2 titles. This one and The Journey To Big Water. Even though this is a very good movie I believe that number #6 is better. It is me all time favorite. Any ways this movie is awesome and I would watch it over and over again. Its AWESOME ! ! ! The Land before time series is an amazing series.It is awesome especially for kids all ages.it tells about a mysterious land again. Which no one really knows about. And Dinosaurs every child is fascinated by dinosaurs.The songs are also magical on any movie you watch from number one to the very newest one. They all take you on a magical journey of your own.

Chomper Returns! Talking T-Rexes! Heartwarming.

Author: Cylex from England
7 September 2003

What's cool about this sequel is that we find out T-Rexes have their own language. Subtitles translate the roars. Chomper of course speaks English because of previous acquaintance with our favourite babies. The "Always There" song is heartwarming. The story is strong and will keep everyone entertained. 9/10

Mysterious Island-one of the better sequels

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
12 February 2010

I love the first "Land Before Time", and still consider it one of the better Don Bluth movies. I have liked most of the sequels, but there have been some I have not liked(more about that another time). Along with "Great Valley Adventure" and "Time of the Great Giving", "Mysterious Island" is one of the better ones. The animation, while not as sophisticated or as handsome as the visual style of the first film, is nice and colourful, and I think it is one of the better animated sequels of the franchise. The incidental music is lovely, and while not particularly memorable, the songs are pleasant "Always There" especially is very touching. And the voice acting is excellent, and the characters are at least likable. Who cannot love that adorable Chomper? All these positives make up for a too-short duration, a touch too simplistic writing and a plot that takes a tad too long to get going. I also thought the singing was mixed, Cera's singing was beautiful but Ducky sounded off for some reason. Asides from these flaws, this is a surprisingly pleasant and watchable sequel. 6/10 Bethany Cox

a wonderful film

Author: kingmonkey from around
16 August 2008

of the numerous Land Before Time films, this one stands out with some high quality songs and a great storyline.

the two big songs of the film, Big Big Water and in particular Friends For Dinner, are two of the best that you will find in the series of films, and are of the high, singalong quality you would normally only find in a high profile Disney movie.

the basic premise of the storyline, one of how all can work and flourish together despite obvious differences, is a good one, and provides many moments of education for youngsters as much as it does entertainment.

our little one, who is not yet three, loves this film to bits. that's the target audience, and you can't argue with that! watch and enjoy, and be prepared to be singing "friends for dinner" in your head for quite a while after!

A weirdly good LBT

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
29 December 2007

This is a good LBT, not the best, but certainly is up ahead of quite a few of the others. One weird thing about this LBT: This was directed by Charles Grosvenor and (except for LBT7) all of his later ones did not have as much action, heart, kindness or plot and story as this. Yes, some of his other ones are good as well and yes, they do have action, heart, kindness, plot and story, but not in the same way as this one. The animation in this is also similar to the films before that and it is luckily good quality LBT animation as well.?

The plot is also very interesting, gripping and a little bit more heartwrenching than a lot of other LBTs (even more so than some of the ones before Charles Grosvenor). The first ten minutes or so is very gripping and exciting, showing a swarm of "evil" locusts ridding the great valley of all green. The film goes on, everyone in the valley has to leave to find more food in the dreaded mysterious beyond. The children (Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike), go along with this. As the film goes on we see much betrayal, hard work, teamwork and hope. These feelings are expressed in a different way than a lot of the other LBTs and hopefully this will give pleasure to all who watch it (except for those who think that there should be no LBT sequels, however good they are).? ? So, enjoy "Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island". :-)?

7 and a half out of ten.

My sons' favorite...and Daddy's too!

Author: Christopher Daniel from Kirkwood, Missouri USA
21 April 2004

This is arguably the best entry in the entire LBT series, which, as of this writing, is up to number 10. My sons (along with Mommy and Daddy) have watched this one more times than any of the others, and there's a reason for that: it's a good one. (Number 2, "The Great Valley Adventure," with Ozzy and Strut, the first appearance of the baby T-Rex Chomper, and some great songs by the Roches, comes in second.) "The Mysterious Island" also contains three fabulous songs, perhaps the best three songs from the whole series: "Big Water," "Always There," and "Friends for Dinner," all by Michele Brourman & Amanda McBroom. Don't miss it. (And also watch "The Great Valley Adventure," if you haven't already.)

The Return Of Chomper

Author: zsofikam
17 July 2016

As I have mentioned before, I'm a big fan of the Land Before Time series and I think that this is one of the great entries along with the original and The Stone Of Cold Fire. The story involves the gang bickering over who gets the last leaf from a tree, despite Petrie being an obligate carnivore, when a swarm of leaf-gobblers (locusts) eat everything in the valley, forcing the dinosaurs to find a new temporary home. While wandering across the desert they stumble upon the ocean and spot an island covered in greenery. They manage to travel to the island and spend the night there, discovering the next morning that it's where Chomper and his family have taken up refuge. I won't spoil the rest of the story, but what I will say is that there is a lot to like about The Mysterious Island. The songs are Big Water, Always There, and Friends For Dinner. Always There is very sweet and beautiful, as well as being the first time Littlefoot mentions his mother, Big Water is very funny, especially with all the descriptions of creatures that might be in the water, and Friends For Dinner is also funny, especially the play on words. Finally, I like that Chomper came back since he's so cute and funny.

Cute and Heartfelt

Author: allyball-63124
16 April 2016

This is where the Land Before Time franchise got really good. The story is very interesting and actually has some tension for once. Sure, a few things don't make sense but in my opinion, it doesn't amount to much. The animation has improved a bit but not by much. Oh yeah, and Chomper is back, and he can talk! Yay? Okay to be fair, Chomper is pretty cute and the family dynamic between his parents is still adorable. I also thought that the action scenes were pretty brutal. Watching 3 T-rexes fight each other was highly entertaining and they showed blood! Yeah I was just as shocked as some of you were watching that action scene. Also, in one of the songs Little foot mentions his mother for the first time since the first movie. I was so close to tears when I rewatched the song. Yeah, the song is poorly sung but the lyrics are beautiful. The other 2 songs are tolerable but nothing special.

While decent, it's not as good as the original was

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
4 June 2012

While the Time of the Great Giving is a much better sequel than the others, this one is also better, but is not as excellent as the original was. The dialog is nice, but the story is predictable and takes way too long to get it going. Even the writing was inept. There are a few redeeming qualities that save this movie. The songs, although not memorable, are pleasant to listen to, especially Always There which was very touching. The animation is beautiful and the voice acting is excellent. Thomas Dekker did great as Littlefoot and the cameo Christina Pickles did great as the sea creature near the end of the movie. The character are likable, especially Chomper which made me feel glad to see him again after The Great Valley Adventure.

Overall, not as excellent as the original, but still a worth-watching sequel.