IMDb > "Earth: Final Conflict" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Earth: Final Conflict"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Earth: Final Conflict" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Best Science Fiction Series

Author: Rayne Fynolds
9 May 2011

I'm shocked to see so many negative ratings. Earth Final Conflict presents a storyline in which the concept of humanity is constantly being challenged. Rather than focusing on a battle between "good" and "evil", EFC focuses on the shades of gray in between. If you're looking for a series with loads of scantly-clad alien chicks, explosions and lightsaber battles then this is not the series for you. The strength of this series lies in its social commentary and also in its exploration of refreshing concepts: aliens that are weak and charismatic rather than predatory; strong and unique female characters; cutthroat villains that are somehow tragic and admirable.

As for EFC's weaknesses: William Boone is somewhat monotone in his delivery, yet by the end of the series he still comes across as a likable character. Liam Kincaid is the stereotypically perfect, morally righteous character. While every other character undergoes moments where their moralistic nature fails, Liam comes across as a Jesus figure, which may be accepted by some while scorned by others. It's true that Season 5 completely destroyed the series. It felt like a complex battle of wits and treachery was suddenly transformed into an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That said, Season 1-4 presents a science fiction that is fresh and captivating.

The Good, the bad, the ugly

Author: katparker
28 January 2002

I have been watching EFC since the beginning. For the most part the show is very good (season 1 to 4). During the fourth season the plot began to go down hill and the fifth season is only watchable for laughs (as only one person from the first season remained). Over all the scripts a well written and complex yet understandable. If you like shows about the little guy winning watch EFC.

2010 - I am hooked!

Author: agape-596-121133 from United States
9 September 2010

I never heard of this series when it was running...pretty busy during those years. I accidentally came upon it at Amazon and hunted down the first episode. I WAS HOOKED!! I can't stop! This series is amazing! Mystery, intrigue, twists and turns.....just when you think you know whats going to happen...BAM, something else happens! The story lines are extremely well written and the characters, and their development, are fabulous, especially the two main Taelon characters, Zo'or and Da'an. The actress who plays Zo'or is amazing at portraying haughtiness and arrogance! I love hating the character!

I am in the middle of Season 3 and find it hard to stop watching one after another. I watched all five seasons of Andromeda two years ago, proclaiming it as my all time fav, but this series has knocked it out of first position. Earth Final Conflict is now my all time favorite and I HIGHLY recommend this series!

a TV series in search of some direction

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
20 February 2006

It's rare to see a TV series start so strong and lose its way so quickly. The first season of this series was great and its paranoid underpinnings were fantastic. However, as the series continued, I kept waiting for these paranoid machinations to pan out and SOMETHING of value be revealed. Unfortunately, many times these story lines were completely forgotten or contradicted--as if the writing staff was periodically fired and completely replaced. This also occurred with the characters--as my favorite characters were killed off and replaced by imminently forgettable ones. And, for several seasons I watched and waited and waited and then NOTHING! I got sick of waiting and stopped watching--and, by that time, so had most of the audience. This show is a great example of a show that starts well and ultimately is cast adrift to float in limbo. My advice,...don't watch in the first place, as there are MUCH better sci-fi shows that will satisfy (such as Babylon 5, Stargate SG-1 or any of the Star Trek series--even Deep Space 9).

A disappointing end to a promising idea

Author: DrSamba from New Hampshire
26 November 2002

I really enjoyed this series when it first came out. Although the idea of benevolent-seeming aliens with ulterior motives is not new (see the original Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man"), EFC gave it a new and fresh approach. Add to that the intrigue between Da'an and Zo'or and the other Taelons, the power struggles within the Resistance, and the Machiavellian Sandoval, and you had a story with some real promise.

Unfortunately, the loss of Kevin Kilner as Boone towards the end of the first season, signaled the beginning of a string of cast changes that disrupted the continuity of the series and the story line (to paraphrase a line from "The Outlaw Josey Wales": when I get to liking a character, they don't stay around very long). Robert Leeshock put in a fine performance as Liam Kincaid; but I felt Liam became less interesting the more "human" he became. As part alien, he straddled both sides of the fence and could bond with Da'an in ways that no human ever could; but as a human, he was just one more resistance fighter.

Another disturbing trend--and maybe it's my own imagination--was the tendency to cast women based on their brassiere sizes. I thought nothing of it with Lisa Howard--I thought her portrayal of Lili Marquette was first-rate--but then with the introduction, shortly after Lili's disappearance, of Jayne Heitmeyer as Renee Palmer, I became more suspicious. The final straw was Lori Alter's well-endowed and scantily-camisoled Ehrengraf wrestling with Liam in the final moments of "Emancipation". All we needed was the Jell-O. Were they TRYING for the adolescent male audience? I'm not criticizing the acting abilities of any of these women; I'm just saying that it was hard to take the series seriously after that.

Finally, would it have been rocket science to choose a less transparent name than Doors International? Jonathan DOORS--Bill GATES??? (Not to mention Microsoft WINDOWS(R)!)

I can't comment at all on the fifth season--once I saw the Atavus appear and started reading some of the story lines, it just became too painful to bear.

This show has humbled a skeptic.

Author: xanada73 from Calgary, Alberta, Canada
8 April 2001

I have to say that I wasn't fair to this show in the beginning, and it still isn't my favourite, but after having watched it for a while I grudgingly admit it is the best science fiction on television. That's right, science fiction, not sci-fi. The aliens are prissy, the characters are flat (except for Sandoval, who's evilly likeable), and the special effects are imperfect, but each episode deluges it's viewers with the everyday application of real, well-thought out science centuries beyond our own. More research goes into five minutes of this show than an entire season of "Andromeda." There are an average of two amazingly ubiquitious special effects shots a minute. And whereas in almost every other series the tendency of the storyline to return to an unchanging equilibrium is a stumbling block, here it is done so brilliantly one ends up marvelling at how the writers pulled it off. I don't care if it ends or not (because, as I said, the story almost never deviates, so it could really end at any time), but I will agree that it's a hundred times better than any "Star Trek" series every was, and deserves to be Gene Roddenberry's most remembered idea. And it's distinctly Canadian feel, similar to and yet different than that of "The X-Files," makes it a great showcase for this fantastic country! Let's hope Paramount goes bankrupt, the Trekkies find real lives for themselves, and history can base it's opinion of Mr. Roddenberry on fact rather than fandom.

One of the better Roddenberry ideas

Author: slam_tilt from Wellington, New Zealand
18 September 2002

I don't believe this is the best science fiction on TV at the moment, but it is good nonetheless. I will switch over and watch re-runs of Stargate SG-1 before I will watch this show. In the begining of Earth: Final Conflict the premise for the show was a good one. It's about a benevolent alien race called the Taelons that arrive on earth. They allign themselves with the worlds nations and end a long running war whilst sharing their technology with earth ending most of our diseases. In return mankind, the skeptical beasts that we are, ask the question, why? An underground movement of resistance fighters soon form and thus the human uprising begins. Wow! what a plot line. Only Gene Roddenberry could come up with that one. Okay so it's "V" for the new Millennium. I actually liked this show when it first started but when they killed off William Boone, I lost interest. Boone was the character everyone could relate to. He was flawed and to some degree naive to the powers that be around him. Liam Kinkaid was too unbelieveable. He did everything perfectly and therefore I couldn't relate to him. Canada can definately be proud of this show it really erasses the memory of Lexx.

Good, but best early on

Author: Merik from Upstate NY, US
5 January 2003

E:FC was a fairly enjoyable science fiction show. Sure, it didn't look extremely polished -- even I'll admit the skrills on the human agents' wrists looked more like plastic and rubber than an engineered lifeform. But what the show did do was paint a very believable future of the world and the human race after the arrival of a society of aliens loaded with incredible technology levels matched with a benevolence just as incredible -- but a deep, dark agenda for humanity.

The aliens -- the Taelons -- were quite well-done, I thought, the best part of the series. The Taelons are an energy-based species, whose bodies are little more than a shell. They seem somewhat ephemeral, almost celestial and ageless. Everything about them is precise and measured, and the actors convey this well in their careful and exacting use of English and their restrained motion.

My only regret (shared with many) is the loss of Kilner as Boone. I understand that it helps the realism to actually have heros die (it's what many do before they ever became great heros, even), but the show wasn't quite as good after. Kincaid was okay, but Boone helped the show as a very believable, very human character, in a setting where everyone else is hardly a "normal" human at all anymore. Unflappable but competent and skilled, Boone was nothing special except he was in the right place at the right time. Instead, we ended up with a human/alien hybrid who grew up within a day's time; and then a filthy-rich (well, formerly, perhaps) woman with a lot of favors to call in, on a personal crusade.

A Great Sci-Fi Series that died an early death!

Author: Gunn from Minnesota
19 May 2009

Gene Roddenberry never let his fans down. His death ended Sci-Fi legacy that will never be matched. Earth: The Final Conflict was proof! His pilot film and the first 2 Seasons were well written and meticulously produced, but somewhere along the way the Roddenberry touch was lost. The loss of lead, Kevin Kilner (William Boone) definitely hurt the series as he was a vital part of what made it work. The story involves the human race being visited by the Taelons, an extra-terrestrial race who dub themselves 'The Companions'. After 3 years they have given earth new technologies, helpful information about the Universe and more. Many question their intentions here on Earth. The main liaison on Earth between the races is Da'an (Leni Parker) and he is to many, the most trustworthy Taelon. Questions arise: just why are they here? what are their goals, is Da'an aware of any suspected plots against the humans? There is an underground group led by millionaire industrialist Jonathan Doors (David Hemblen) who utilizes his millions to investigate the Taelons. By the end of the First Season things are going well, Da'an seems trustworthy, Boone assists Doors in his investigation while working with Da'an and the Taelons as a liaison. In the middle of the 2nd Season things start unraveling and the once terrific and fascinating series spirals downward, mostly because Roddenberry had died and was not around to guide the producers, of whom his wife Majel Barrett-Roddenberry was co-producer. Still, the first Season remains intriguing and fun to watch.

From brilliant to mediocre

Author: Abe Dashiell (adashiel@indiana.edu) from Bloomington, IN
30 June 2001

Well, I've stuck with it, but to be honest, E:FC hasn't been worth my time since the first season. What's so tragic is it got things right almost immediately, and then abandoned it all for the second year. After killing off the strong central character, and dumbing down the plot, it has become a hollow shell of its former self. It has improved somewhat since the disastrous second season, but with the alien races cast so unsympathetically, there's little hope it will ever be as good as it once was.

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]