IMDb > Cube (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cube

Cube More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 67:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This is one freaky movie...

Author: Christopher Byrne from Brisbane, Australia
26 March 2001

Cube is a movie that explores human nature and our instinctive urges for survival vs our humanitarianism. Not a new concept, I know, however this movie does it in style, with a plot so simple that it could only be the work of a conceptual genius. I don't intend to give too much away, as the power of the film lies in it's mystery, but I will say that this movie could almost be classified as disturbing, not due to its content, but rather the thoughts that it instills in the audience. I found myself rather shaken as I left the cinema, feeling as though I had been exposed to an ugly, hidden side of humanity and society. Don't get me wrong, this movie is definitely worth seeing, I would even be so bold as to say that it must be seen! I must admit that there are few movies I have seen that have had such a profound affect on me, and I don't think I am alone in my feelings.

Low Budget, Does not have to equal Low Quality

Author: mjw2305 from England
19 January 2005

It probably cost about half the budget of this movie, to make the opening sequence, which successfully gets your attention. Once it has your attention it simply refuses to let you go, it is compelling to say the least.

The entire cast were pretty much unknown when the film was made (and most still are), but they all gave fine performances throughout. Without the successful casting this film could have easily been a disaster, as it is almost entirely character driven. I'm glad to say that definitely is not the case.

Despite the low budget and practically unknown cast, the film manages to be clever, intriguing, thought-provoking and highly enjoyable. sadly, this film is probably a one off, i can't think of another low budget film that has half the impact of this one.

8/10 and worth every point

Low Budget Canadian sci-fi film worth viewing

Author: LONE SOLO from Floyd Montana
18 January 2000

This film has more in substance than most big budget hollywood "event" movies rolled into one. The film follows the perils of a group of canadian civilians imprisoned in a futuristic "RUBICK'S CUBE" style jail from which there is seemingly no escape. They have no idea how they got there, or who put them there, all they know is they have to escape.....fast. This film is reminiscent of LORD OF THE FLIES, and how it showed mankind at it's worst when things go bad. The film chronicles paranoia, suspicion and fear. MAURICE DEAN WINT, gives a brilliant performance. In fact, this man's acting ability, makes the film worthwhile. The rest of the cast is fantastic as well.

The neat thing about this movie is that the makers did it for relatively cheap (only having to make one set, that they constantly reconfigured) yet, the film works on many levels. This is without a doubt, a thinking persons sci-fi film. THE CUBE shows a level of ingenuity, and genius, missing from mainstream American big budget fare.

One of the most original sci-fi films of the last decade

Author: hippiedj from Palm Desert, California
2 July 2000

If you were to think about what situation would terrify you the most, Cube would be the ultimate challenge. In a way, it is a predecessor to TV's "Survivor" in which the people each have a skill that can help them survive and possibly get them out. It all comes down to human emotions and confrontations that get in the way of progress. It's a talky film, but that's the point-- figuring situations and dealing with different personalities is inevitable to any group. The solving of problems becomes very complex, but the viewer doesn't have to worry...let the characters figure it out as we go along for the ride. While so many sci-fi films want to wow you with effects, this film does something more challenging--it makes you think. With its limited budget and digital effects in use even before Titanic glorified them, Cube still proves itself as one of the more original and intelligent sci-fi films of the last decade, with a cult status already going strong. It is truly a nail-biter.

AWESOME

Author: (fandangonoir)
23 January 2001

One of the best films I've seen in years. Original, suspenseful, frightening. The idea and execution of this film is so simple yet it's still a very complex and brilliant piece of work. The acting is sometimes a little over the top but it still works. The most amazing thing to me is that the filmmakers only built one cube and made it seem like they made several. This is clever, clever filmmaking. Whoever said there are no good ideas left hasn't seen 'Cube'. Dig it.

You ever get stuck in an elevator? Multiply that emotion by 1,000

Author: Kyle Milligan (toldyaso@planeteer.com) from Toronto, Canada
17 August 1999

Great. Another shining example of how my inadequacy in mathematics could be the end of me. I used to skip math class. I took the bare minimum requirement expected of me and passed with something less than flying colours. The point is, math is all that separates our "heroes" from certain death in this arena.

"Cube" is an innovative little thriller that can safely dodge accusations of blandness or mediocrity. The premise is simple and the plight of the characters is highly relative despite its surrealistic science fiction setting. Six individuals find themselves trapped in a cube comprised of many rooms linked together, with no readily visible way out, no rations, tools or explanation for being there, with traps set up in some of the rooms. An apparent experiment on how people think and react to certain situations and the transformations they might undergo.

The simplicity of the film and the cube itself are the film's strongest assets and can probably account for it's international success, notably in Japan. It's low budget production costs came under $400,000. But they got a really good bang for their buck with some help from special effects houses that provided their services free of charge. As the director has commented on the audio commentary track of the DVD, one aspect they were going for was a way to have an action flick in one room. They pulled it off quite nicely. Another interesting tidbit brought to light was that each character's name is after a prison.

A curious aspect of this Canadian film was its surprisingly short run in Canadian cinemas. In speaking with one of the film's producers, Mehra Meh, I learned that despite it's award as "Best First Feature" at the Toronto Film Festival of 1997, the film run in Canada came a year later and was just for a few short weeks before it was yanked from theaters and then showcased internationally. When time came for the DVD release, I found another perplexing development. It was only available as an import. A Canadian film only available as an import in Canada? It wasn't until months later that it was released domestically.

In any case, the film is available now and worth checking out if you have interest in the psychological thriller fare. Those who work their days or nights (or both) in a cubicle may wish to pass on this one, as it just might be too close to home.

Cult Classic Sci-Fi!!

Author: Thomas Jolliffe (supertom-3) from Marlow, England
22 June 2004

Vincenzo Natali. Funny sounding name right? Well just a little funny. Keep that name in your mind though over the next few years. After this film the Cube, Natali's follow up was the superb Cypher. He seems to be a master of a difficult genre, Sci-Fi. In a genre that is primarily known for having a high pap ratio, the fact that Natali's first two features have been cult classic science fiction movies then bodes well for Sci-fi fanatics who will eagerly anticipate his next movie. The Cube is a superbly crafted low budget film. On a shoestring budget and a dangerously basic premise full of intrigue, the film succeeds because of imaginative effects and taut directions as well as a superbly written script, delving into the human psyche in such an extreme situation. The plot is basically thus: A group of strangers wake in a cube room. They don't know where they are or how they got there but they know they must find a way out. It also transpires that when they leave each room the enter another room that is virtually identical in look. There will perhaps be a different colour in the lighting. The must find their way out before they starve tp death or go nuts, but to add to their woes, it seems that some of the rooms are booby trapped, ranging from sound activated, to pressure activated traps. They soon discover that each of them has a specific gift that can perhaps hold the key to their escape. There is a maths genius who may hold the key to discovering a way out. The rooms are numbered and the numbers could signify the type of room but also a map. The film is excellent and just when they think they have figured it out the Cube bites them in the behind. The dynamic of the characters is excellent as inevitably some go crazy. I do think that for a film shot for less than 300,000 dollars this is amazing looking. It works well for a film that is set in the same environment for the 90 minutes of the film. I have to say this film is one of those pleasant surprises that comes from nowhere and when word of mouth finally gets to you, please listen! ****

Incredibly original

Author: kaelcarp from United States
15 July 2004

This film is one of the most original films I've ever seen. On top of that, it is absolutely riveting and engaging. It will have you thinking for hours afterward. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes intriguing movies. The acting is good. Other than the girl who plays the student, I've never seen any of the actors before, which makes the movie much harder to predict than most.

The air of mystery prevails throughout. The pace is perfect, which surprised me, given the limited amount the characters could actually do. And the ending doesn't sell out the rest of the movie, which films with this level of mystery often do.

Cube: 7/10

Author: movieguy1021 (Movieguy1021@comcast.net) from Anywhere, USA
26 June 2004

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty tired of all these wanna-be horror movies that are out now. All of those movies are rated PG-13 and can't seem to scare anyone. But right at the verge of these so-called horror movies came Cube, a low-budget horror film with an original idea and a good idea of how to execute it. It could have gone belly-up, but it works for the most part and creates a suspenseful movie.

A group of seven people find themselves trapped in some sort of maze of cubes. They're all different colors and to make matters more interesting, some are booby trapped. They have no recollection of how they got there, nor do they have a clue how to get out. It becomes a battle of wits to stay sane and survive.

There's an overall sense of creepiness, doom, and claustrophobia that overshadows the whole movie, not to mention the paranoia that sinks into both the characters and you as you watch. You only know as much as the characters-you don't know how they got into the cubes, what they're for, or any of the typical exposition. And although most of the characters were annoying, it put you side by side with them, which helped a lot. If you get to be next to the characters, you can understand their actions more. However, you do (somewhat) find out what these cubes were made for, which kind of dampers the whole thing, but it's still very interesting to go through.

But when the climax comes about, the movie descends into hokey B-horror land, with a terrorized killer stalking most of the people. When the original exploration of the cubes subsides and you get the people walking around, also, the interest starts to wane. It's often repetitive, but the booby traps are quite, for lack of a better word, fun. But that doesn't mean that the original creativity has gone away, it's just not as interesting. But I really liked Cube, and if you see it, you will too.

My rating: 7/10

Rated R for some strong sci-fi violence/gore and language.

This must be the coolest movie!

Author: Clara Leung from New Zealand
13 November 1999

Well, I didn't actually KNOW anything about this film, and it was showing at the Rialto (which is more foreign-filmish than mainstream). But I was surely not let down! I'm no film-buff, and I'm not experienced yet either (only 15 so far), but I definately recommend anyone to give it at least a chance! The fact that it's so low-budget, but doesn't really reek of it, and the simplicity of the setting, is quite refreshing from the typical films of today. At first I was rooting for the cop, since he had 3 kids, but... well, let's just say I didn't exactly want him to survive near the end (that bastard!) And also the actual scariest movie I've seen all year! I mean, actual covering-my-face muttering 'No! God! No!', especially during the silence scene... despite what some other people have said, I thought this movie wasn't predictable at all (I was totally wrong about who was going to die and what happened in the end). The ending was also perfect, and they should leave it like that... I came out of the cinema, speechless, only thinking 'Wow! What a cool movie!', and satisfaction that you have got your money's worth. The only thing that bugged me during the whole film was trying to remember what other things the girl that played Leaven had been in (Deepwater Black, and other sci-fi things - anyone else detect typecasting here? ^.^) Go see it if you haven't!

Page 1 of 67:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]