IMDb > Dead Man's Curve (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dead Man's Curve

Dead Man's Curve More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Matthew Lillard rocked into this movie

Author: MaggotShroom from Sheboygan, Wisconsin
27 February 2003

This movie was good. Especially that Matthew Lillard was in it. That guy is cool. I just don't understand why they call this movie The Curve, when i always thought it was called Dead Man's Curve. But anyway. I guess it doesn't matter of the title name. Just the movie. I thought it cool. I watched this movie so many times. I could play the part of Tim. The character Matthew Lillard was on the movie. I just wished i had the movie so i could watch it over and over. But if i had to rate this movie from a scale from1 to 10. I would rate it an 8. At the end, it surprised me alot.

Matthew Lillard: Professional Showstopper

Author: Michael Browne ( from Escondido, California
8 April 2000

A surprisingly involving serious-thriller version of "Dead Man on Campus" about some guys who get rid of their roommate in exchange for sympathetic straight 'A's at the college where they're failing. The difference between this and the one starring Zack Morris is that this one relies heavily on surprises and plot twists, as characters betray eachother left and right, until finally the whole scenario does a backflip for an unexpected ending. An empty feeling may ensue during the credits, though, as plot holes so big that even an oblivious entertainment-junkie square like me recognizes come to mind, like why would Felicity get with Tim -- then later have a quiet, apologetic moment with boyfriend (and story protagonist) Chris -- if their real deal at the end were true? And where the hell was Rand the whole time? And what exactly was Tim's core ambition the whole time (whose side was he on)? The movie's reach for cleverness is acceptable, though, and I sorta liked the final line, despite how much more the movie itself seemed to appreciate it. But Matthew Lillard is the best. Damn this guy is a pro, all the way. One of the most compelling, can't-take-your-eyes-off-him great actors available. He has energy that would frighten Jack Nicholson and Jim Carrey -- his casual intensity, truly, makes for electrifying viewing. Why isn't everyone begging him for roles? I haven't seen him since "SLC Punk!", probably his most fantastically compelling performance, over a year ago. Someone release "Love's Labour's Lost" and hurry to finish whatever else he's working on, stat! Oh yeah, and the remaining population of "The Curve" -- good enough Michael Vartan, sly Felicity, and Dany Delany's totally arbitrary character -- are proficient. But this is Lillard's show, and rightly so

My grade: B

Clever and cunning

Author: Chris-369 from United Kingdom
21 February 2000

Brilliant and clever film based around a university myth that if your room mate commits suicide you automatically graduate with grade A's to compensate.

Tim and Chris are two guys with dreams of getting into Harvard. However bad grades (is a B+ really that bad in America?!) mean their chances of getting in are becoming non-existent. The two guys decide to murder their room mate and make it look like suicide so they can get the grades they need to get on in life.

That is really all that can be said about this movie without giving too much away. Dead Man's Curve is fantastically cunning and has enough twists and turns to keep anybody interested.

dark college thriller doesn't deliver

Author: annamolpus from Washington, DC
3 February 2000

With an attractive cast and lots of plot twists there are alluring things about this film (especially the beautiful Keri Russell). However, this film is so busy being dark and confusing the viewer, that it fails as a thriller. This is one of those films where every time you think you have the plot all figured out, things change. That can make a film great (e.g. LA Confidential), but in this case none of the characters are all that sympathetic, and when the mysteries are finally revealed at the end, the viewer is left confused. Matthew Lillard is great at playing semi-psychotic characters, but he and Russell can't save a film suffering from lack of a good script.

Stupid Plot + Stupid Premise = Stupid Movie

Author: Shannon Box ( from Canyon Lake, Texas
6 September 1999

[WARNING: This review may contain spoilers.]

This movie is based on the urban legend that if a college student has a roomie who kills himself, the university bestows an automatic 4.0 on the cohabitant. I heard this kind of crap when I was at University. In reality, this is B.S. However, like most urban legends there are always legions of idiots to keep the rumor alive.

Well, rumors are one thing, but why on Earth would anybody want to spend real money to make a film based on such a preposterous premise. Apparently, the same dolts that buy into urban legends also appreciate bad film. I suspect their history of the Kennedy assassination is fulfilled by Oliver Stone's, 'JFK.'

The film attempts to earn its gravy by coming up with extraordinary plot twists. Again, this fails. Of course, no one can see the twists coming, because they are so absurd and disconnected with what the script has previously built as a foundation, the attentive viewer must toss his popcorn into the air in disgust. There is more I could critique, but why bother?

pretty stupid

Author: ahab-5 from Europe
22 August 1999

It is not only the premise of this movie--that you get a 4.0 if your roommate commits suicide--that is stupid, it is the underlying and unquestioned correlation that a 4.0 GPA by itself will get you into Harvard Grad School: in business, law, drama (is there even a Harvard Drama School?), whatever. This is ridiculous. I have nothing against suspending disbelief if a story otherwise holds together, but the writing in this movie was really bad, the characters were uninteresting, and the direction was highly derivative and uninspired. This movie just doesn´t hold water.

One question, though. The credits say that it was shot at Towson University in Maryland, but I could SWEAR that the opening quad shots are at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, my alma mater. Does anyone have any info about this?

Hell yeah!

Author: Al-160
26 April 1999

I don't think the whole meaning of this flick was to scare people. Of course, I see the horror in this movie, but I find it more amusing....And I LOVE the ending!!

A great, overlooked film...

Author: John ( from Dayton, Ohio
10 April 1999

The film is a unique one, even though it is almost the same plot as the flop Dead Man on Campus. The film is a lot of fun, and Matthew Lillard gets to play a creep just like he did in 1996's Scream. This film should get more recognition than it has- It is one of 1998's best.

after watching this film I wanted to commit suicide as well...

Author: screamingdreamer from United States
8 January 2006

at first, the cinematography looks good, so at least it has that...but this movie slowly descends into the depths of Hollywood hell. it twists so many times you completely get lost, and by the end of the movie, you have no idea what just happened! i suppose if i subjected myself to watching it again, maybe i would pick up something i missed before. but to be perfectly honest, it was so bad, i don't think i CAN watch it again. this movie makes no sense to me. what's so bad is that i truly believe that i actually DO understand everything about it. its just so bad that i'm having trouble really BELIEVING that i'm really understanding. i just keep thinking "there has to be something more..." if there IS indeed something more to this film, its completely and hopelessly buried under the layers of crap that make this movie what it is. don't waste your time on this piece of crap. if you want to watch something that will twist and turn and challenge your a David lynch film.

A great movie

Author: The_Gemini_Killer from United States
21 December 2005

The Curve, or Dead Man's Curve could very well be one of the best films of the late 90s. As an inspiring film-maker myself I'm always a sucker for finding a lot of good movies that seem to go unnoticed, and Dan Rosen certainly is an inspiration.

This film focuses on a college in which two of three roommates have heard of a rumor that will allow them to pass with straight A grades if their 3rd just so happens to commit suicide. Knowing that this will never happen, a plan is made to purposely off one of the three, and set it up to appear as a suicide.

The plot then thickens, the trust between the two of them slowly begins to fade away and the days begin getting creepier, full of events that could have never been suspected.

Dan Rosen had the luck of getting a very well cast to bring his excellent written film to the screen, including Matthew Lillard, who gives a damn fine performance as Tim, and many other very well known actors Overall, this was a great film for first timer Dan Rosen, The movie was written to deliver entertainment and full of exciting twists of dark comedy through the whole way, and is a very fun in every way. I only wish he could have made a few more with this ones certain style. needless to say, it rocks its well deserved 9 out of 10.

Also recommended films in my opinion would be Highway, SLC Punk!, Entropy, and the very similar film "Dead Man On Campus" that follows a very close plot to this movies situation, but is taken more on the comedy side.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]