IMDb > Dead Man's Curve (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Dead on Arrival

Author: sol1218 from brooklyn NY
27 August 2008

***SPOILERS*** Over the top suspense mystery that takes place on an unnamed eastern Maryland collage. Having found out that if a roommate at collage commits suicide you get an automatic 4.0 average both Tim, Matthew Lillard, and Chris, Michael Vartan, who are sub-par students concoct a plan to get their other roommate Rand, Randall Batinkoff, to kill himself!

Rand a nasty and arrogant creep who's constituently humiliating his girlfriend Natalie,Tamara Craig Thomas, in public and making a complete a** of himself is the perfect candidate to knock off with nobody, not even his family members, even missing him.

Even though at first he thought it was a joke on Tim's part Chris reluctantly goes along with the plan to do Rand in. This happens late one evening at the light-tower just outside of the collage campus. Getting a very depressed Rand, who had just found out that Natalie is pregnant, to dink a full bottle of whiskey laced with rat poison he goes into convolutions and loses consciousness. With Tim leaving a suicide note in the empty bottle it's made to look like Rand did himself in over Nataie, after telling him that he knocked her up, dumping him.

With Chris not having the guts to throw Rand down the Cliff, to make it look like he jumped, Tim finishes the job in having him fall to his death, if he wasn't dead already, to the dangerous rocks some 100 feet below. It's then that things start to get a bit, to put it mildly, out of hand with Chris not willing to get, feeling that he didn't earn it, his well deserved 4.0 average and his partner in crime Tim doing everything he can to implicate him in Rands murder!Tim goes as far as staging a tryst with Chris' girlfriend Emma, Keri Russell, for Chris to see in order to get him go to the cops and confess not only his but Tim's crime! While all this is going on Rand's body is never recovered and thus making it impossible for both Tim and Chris to get their coveted 4.0 average and thus being eligible to enter Harvard or Yale!

The movie really gets ridicules in it's myriad of twists and turns that are so incomprehensible that their about as illogical as subatomic Quantom reality is towards modern Newtonian physics! You finally get the picture in the end to what's the story behind Rand's demise and who was really the person or persons behind it. But by then your brain has been so brutally battered and beaten by the films confusing and convoluted storyline, with about a half dozen plot twist, that you don't really care what it is!

Stupid Plot + Stupid Premise = Stupid Movie

Author: Shannon Box (sbox@gvtc.com) from Canyon Lake, Texas
6 September 1999

[WARNING: This review may contain spoilers.]

This movie is based on the urban legend that if a college student has a roomie who kills himself, the university bestows an automatic 4.0 on the cohabitant. I heard this kind of crap when I was at University. In reality, this is B.S. However, like most urban legends there are always legions of idiots to keep the rumor alive.

Well, rumors are one thing, but why on Earth would anybody want to spend real money to make a film based on such a preposterous premise. Apparently, the same dolts that buy into urban legends also appreciate bad film. I suspect their history of the Kennedy assassination is fulfilled by Oliver Stone's, 'JFK.'

The film attempts to earn its gravy by coming up with extraordinary plot twists. Again, this fails. Of course, no one can see the twists coming, because they are so absurd and disconnected with what the script has previously built as a foundation, the attentive viewer must toss his popcorn into the air in disgust. There is more I could critique, but why bother?

Lillard is the evil creep of the future

Author: smegma23 (gordon_geise@hotmail.com) from Washington, D.C.
25 May 1999

Has anyone else gotten the impression that those most bitterly critical of _The_Curve_ must have had some gimmick of their own to get through school? Seldom have I seen a collection of criticism so clearly divided by such markers as incomplete sentences and unsubstantiated claims (such as the one that the plot "collapses like a house of cards under close examination", but that then fails to mention how). Most memorable is the person who found the plot "confusing ... and predictable"; I think it's time to change medications, don't you? Then there's this gem: "I mean it had no real plot to speak of. I mean trying to kill someone to make it look like a suicide to pass a class, come on that sucks." Uh, sure. I trust an opinion like that implicitly. Shoulda read it before I wasted my time on the confusingly predictable collapsing plotlessness of this movie. Yep. Without getting into spoiler territory, I think this flick is cleverly plotted. It lets you think you're keeping up with it (banging a pot on your head, shouting, "I am so smart! I am so smart!") while in fact it remains a step ahead. True, the ending is a bit much, but it certainly is a lot of fun getting there. Matthew Lillard, whom I have been watching since his first thus-billed role (in _Serial_Mom_) is honing his skills to be The Creepiest Man in Movies. He's already more menacing than Vincent Price ever was, or Peter Lorre, for that matter. That he pulls this off, here and elsewhere, precisely by feigning a boisterously friendly character, is credit to him: he's like Batman's The Joker, all homicide and smiles. Whether he'll ever venture into straighter, or more subdued roles, time will tell. For the moment, though, his schtick is entertaining as hell. Rosen isn't a blinding talent, but the direction's not bad for his first time out. As others have mentioned, the entire movie is nicely set up while the credits are rolling. There are cool subtle touches (e.g. the progression of the school psychologist's smoking habit throughout) and kinda clumsy ones (e.g. a stagy spotlighting of Lillard while he's telling a particularly mean-spirited story in a bar). And Rosen's writing (as well as Lillard's acting) are absolutely dead-on in spots: watching Lillard's Tim bull**** in a crucial "he's having a breakdown" scene, neither his roommate nor we believe the routine, but a tiny doubt creeps in: Damn, what if he is for real? What if his coming unhinged is the next plot twist? The suspense doesn't engross so much as fascinate, peppered as it is with high-stakes cruelty: think _Les_Liaisons_Dangereuses_ with a bit of _Gaslight_ thrown in. Frankly, I was impressed with the effort.

after watching this film I wanted to commit suicide as well...

Author: screamingdreamer from United States
8 January 2006

at first, the cinematography looks good, so at least it has that...but this movie slowly descends into the depths of Hollywood hell. it twists so many times you completely get lost, and by the end of the movie, you have no idea what just happened! i suppose if i subjected myself to watching it again, maybe i would pick up something i missed before. but to be perfectly honest, it was so bad, i don't think i CAN watch it again. this movie makes no sense to me. what's so bad is that i truly believe that i actually DO understand everything about it. its just so bad that i'm having trouble really BELIEVING that i'm really understanding. i just keep thinking "there has to be something more..." if there IS indeed something more to this film, its completely and hopelessly buried under the layers of crap that make this movie what it is. don't waste your time on this piece of crap. if you want to watch something that will twist and turn and challenge your brain...watch a David lynch film.

Don't kill yourself to live

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
28 September 2005

I really didn't expect much of Dead Man's Curve at first but I became immediately thrilled once I started watching it. The performances (especially Matthew Lillard) were great and I just dig it when a bad guy thrives as much as Lillard did in this movie. The bigger part of the film was pretty good and would have easily been rewarded with a 7 or maybe even a 7,5 but in the end it just didn't get away with it. In the end Dead Man's Curve just becomes one of those thrillers that wants to be too smart and too original / surprising, resulting in a very annoying and unbelievable ending. It would be rightful to say that by introducing twist after twist after twist the filmmaker succeeded in breaking the movie's neck. Since the ending for me was a big fat 3 out of 10 I find it very hard to make a recommendation regarding this film.

6 out of 10

A high dive in lighthouse suspense

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
16 November 2008

With today's fast evolution of the video market, DVDs are becoming so cheap, destocking, competition from Blue-ray, and all kinds of pirating, that we can get DVDs for less than five euros, if not less that five dollars, if not even less than just plain nothing. So when I got into that one, I thought I was entering some kind of college comedy for teeny boppers looking for some soft sexual kicks. But that impression vanished within fifteen minutes and was replaced by the new question whether this film was one more psycho serial killer, and that did not last even a second quarter of an hour and we moved into an absolutely fascinating variation on the eternal crime story in which we cannot know who is killing who and who is going to be killed next and who is the real serial killer and who is the real designated final victim and how that absolutely foolish but so intricate conspiration is going to be sold to the police, the FBI and all kinds of authorities as a legitimate suicide or natural death. And it became quite enjoyable after a while and even a little bit more with the elapsing minutes and dozens of minutes to a final punch-line I will not reveal because it is too funny and it proves that anyone can lead anyone else into believing anything they want because the others want to believe anything they are told provided it is slightly bleak, slightly sad and slightly reassuring in its disquieting nature. Enjoy that piece of foolery.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris Dauphine, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne & University Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines

One curve too many....

Author: Guy Ennui from No VA
1 May 2003

Maybe spoilers....

First things first: I'm not certain what actor to whom one can compare Matthew Lillard. He has the controlled wacko edge of Christopher Walken (which is interesting because THE CURVE has a clever scene mocking THE DEER HUNTER), but he's funnier than that. Maybe Dennis Hopper without the drugged out loopiness? Who knows? Maybe he's that very rare bird: a young actor who isn't easily pigeon-holed as the next so-and-so. He is the main reason to watch THE CURVE. THE CURVE is his movie and he makes the most of it. It's a worthy entry in the difficult to define teenage black comedy, and Mr. Lillard is the main reason for that. Some have compared it to the SCREAM franchise, but it's not a horror/slasher flick. It's smarter than that. Maybe too smart. It has some good twists and turns, and a standout supporting role turned in by Dana Delany. It also has a clever script that produces some good dialogue. Unfortunately, it's one failing, and it's a big one, is an ending that is almost a letdown in its overt twistiness. That being said, it's worth a watch if one is a little forgiving of a rather implausible ending.

Great review

Author: Desirae from Denver, Colorado
12 June 2002

This film was written well and had a twisting plot. Matthew Lillard was absolutely adorable as the jerk! For a film with a warmed-over premise, I think it was done very well. I would watch it a second time and would recommend.

heathers + wild things = raucious fun

Author: jordan-28
10 January 2000

At first, I thought it was something like Heathers, which was completely unappealing. As the movie went on, I realized it was sure, in that Heathers fashion, but it has its own identity. The script was quite intelligent and the acting was superb, although Keri Russell was quite annoying. It was a wittingly fun movie which may start out slow, but becomes a bit gripping in the middle which totally leads you to the fun end. I'd give it 7/10.

5 college mates and suicidal tendencies

Author: Alan "A.B." Butler (alan_b88@hotmail.com)
12 December 1999

This movie plays on the fact that if your room-mate commits suicide in the USA you get straight A's. This film is made by a great Matthew Lillard (Scream) performance, who is guaranteed freak you out totally. Add a complex and twisting plot that keeps you guessing until the very end and you've got a very good film. It won't allow you to miss a second, you'll be glued to the screen from start to finish. You have to see this movie!

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]