IMDb > Return to Me (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Return to Me

Return to Me More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One of the best romantic comedies for all ages.

Author: snowhiteinforest from Portland, Oregon
14 May 2001

Return to Me is a movie you will want to own. It is a story of inspiration and family love that appeals to all ages. The story, though seemingly impossible, aspires to divine intervention when a man looses his wife in a tragic accident and finds that love again in the woman who receives his wife's heart. David Duchovny and Minnie Driver give warm hearted performances as the designated to-be-lovers who meet by chance. But the real story lies in the friends and family around them who love and support them in times of trial. Carol O'Connor as Minnie Driver's grandfather, is authentic in every scene. Bonnie Hunt as the friend whose wit and encouragement underlines Minnie as a 'sister' is funny yet warm in the scenes especially with James Belushi as her husband. Classic scenes and writing makes this story so enjoyable and touching to watch over and over again. Thank you for making a movie that demonstrates families and friends as close knit caring people who love each other through difficult times.

Beyond Wonderful

Author: thediva59 from New York
24 October 2004

I just watched this move for the 5th or 6th time and am still in love with it. It still makes me cry and sing and worry and celebrate.

I almost wrote Bonnie Hunt a letter to tell her how much I love it. David Duchovny's grief scene is so flippin real!!! Minnie Driver is so natural and honest. My favorite line is when Duchovny says "I miss Elizabeth but I ache for Grace". Oh man! I'm crying just thinking about it. ALSO... Bonnie Hunt and Jim Belushi are sooooooooooooo the perfect Chicago area couple!! I know them I swear! I'm related to them I'm sure.

This movie is in my three times a year rotation!!! I'd watch it once a week but I'm afraid I'd get too used to it!!! I always want to make it a special day when I watch it!!

One of the most surprisingly well done films I have seen in quite some time.

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
29 May 2000

When I saw the trailer for this film, I said out loud to no one in particular "this film is going to bomb." I also said that about THE MATRIX and look at what happened there. Now I am not a box office guru by any stretch but I usually have a pretty good gut about what is going to be good and what is going to really suck. In this case I was blinded by my complete and utter apathy towards David Duchovney. Let me put it to you a different way: I don't like his as a person ( from what I have read of him in interviews, he is unbelievably pre-madonna like and he is full of himself considering all he has done is X-Files ) or as an actor. PLAYING GOD was a really poor film but he came off thinking that for some reason he deserved big bucks on the big screen. But I am happy to say that even though those things may still be true about the man, Return To Me is delightful and has it's heart in the right place. Bonnie Hunt has directed a beautiful story and she has told it with class and grace. This is one of the most romantic films I have seen and even though it may seem to be a bit sad and maudlin in its premise, give it a chance and you will be hooked.

It has to be said ( and this pains me to do so ) that the reason this film works so well is because of the story and the cast. Duchovney and Driver are so wonderful and believable here that I honestly wanted to cry along with them. There is one particularly powerful scene when Duchovney comes home after his wife has died and he slumps down on the floor of his house. As it always does, the family dog looks to the door to wait for his wife to come walking in. She doesn't and with his shirt collar still stained with blood, Rob ( Duchovney ) tells him that she is not coming home, ever. He then calls the dog over to him and they seem to share a cry together. The dog lets out a small moan and then Rob cries. And this is one of the most realistic moments of pain I have ever seen in any character in any movie. You can feel his pain and at that moment I forgot I was watching an actor that I generally don't like, and I felt that I was watching someone that I knew moarn the loss of his beloved. This is powerful stuff.

Another strength of the film is the supporting cast. Bonnie Hunt has combined an ethnic melting pot of Irish and Italian characters that share a common bond. They share a pub called O'Reilley's Italian Pub. That is a delicious name all by itself. And heading the diametric scale of clashing cultures is Carol O'Connor and Robert Loggia. These are two proud old men that love their homeland but love their granddaughter and niece ( I think it is ) respectively. And that is the character played by Minnie Driver. This scenario is ripe for comedy and Hunt doesn't miss anything here.

Bonnie Hunt and James Belushi also share some funny moments together as the middle aged married couple and Belushi gets top points as he accepts humility gracefully and shows off his ample keg of a stomach for laughs. With his family consisting of three or four kids, there is very little time for him and the wife to have quality time. And again Hunt handles this with perfect elegance.

This is a wonderful story of finding true love, knowing how lucky you are to have true love and the power of friendship and family. Return To Me is a wonderful romance and even though I still don't have a great admiration for David Duchovney, I have to admit that he was perfect in this role and I could not picture anyone else playing his character. He was sensitive and believable and the movie was good because of him, not just because of him, but he sure added to the flavour.

If you are a sucker for a good romance and you want a good cry, then this is the film for you.

8.5 out of 10 I will see anything that Bonnie Hunt puts out with her in the director's chair.

Delightfully entertaining

Author: cheermom140 (cheermom140@yahoo.com) from Philadelphia, PA
29 March 2000

My two daughters (ages 11 and 13) and I were lucky enough to see a screening of this movie last night. We were all pleasantly surprised to see how entertaining and funny this movie was. David Duchovny was very appealing as the male lead and Minnie Driver gave her usually competent performance. Some of the scenes are laugh out loud funny - especially one scene Minnie Driver has with a fellow "transplant" donee. I liked the fact that it was a movie that I could watch with my children and I wasn't embarrassed by any scene whatsoever. Everyone in the movie theater was laughing and enjoying themselves. Thumbs up Bonnie Hunt!

Still love this movie

Author: franseg from United States
26 November 2005

I watched this movie again yesterday with a 20-year-old intern from my office (OK - it was the quiet day after Thanksgiving) and we both loved it. I love the unique plot, David Duchovny, David Allen Greer, and the way the dog keeps waiting at the door. Isn't part of each of us just like that dog after someone we love dies?

I also love the old folks at the restaurant - they remind me of some of the older people around Southern New England, where your ethnic group is a very important topic of discussion. And I love the wedding at the end.

Minnie Driver is great in this movie - and Bonnie Hunt should have won an award for everything.

Bonnie - make more movies!

Great Romantic Comedy!

Author: FCDramaGirl (FCDramaGirl@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, CA
30 August 2003

I love this movie! It has everything! Bonnie Hunt did a fantastic job co-writing, directing and co-starring in this film. David Duchovny is just plain hot. and Minnie Driver is as cute as ever. combine all that talent with David Allen Grier, Carol O'Connor, Robert Loggia, Joley Richardson, and Jim Belushi you have a Oscar worthy movie! I'm surprised they didn't get one. if you haven't seen it, go rent the DVD, watch it once then put directors commentary on...Bonnie Hunt is Fabulous!

Oh, Sweet mystery of life at last I've found thee...Destiny, that is.

Author: prncescbb85 from Columbia, MO
13 June 2004

I saw this movie with my mother, and I loved it! It was such a sweet story, (Not to mention funny because of the supporting cast!) They never make movies like this...ever! My favorite part is when Grace(Minnie Driver) finds out about her boyfriend's wife's death, and that she has the deceased wife's heart and she screams, "WHAT WAS GOD THINKING?" I do believe everyone(No matter who you believe in) has thoughts like that once in awhile. But while it's very sappy, it just might make you believe in true love and destiny for once and for all.(Sigh)

The comedic timing between Bonnie Hunt and Jim Belushi will just make you crack up(especially in the aforementioned scene, it's terrible, and yet so funny!). They make a good pair, and I hope to see them again in something soon. 10/10 Stars

Wholesome and captivating!

Author: recontramil from Glendale, California
5 September 2005

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!

This beautiful, charming love story drew me in immediately with its lovable characters and heart-warming romance. I became so attached to the characters throughout the film that I felt as if I knew them personally. The storyline is very enchanting, and it brought me to tears in several touching moments. Duchovny and Driver have a very cute, chaste relationship that you can't help getting involved in. This one's worth watching more than once, and showing to all your friends. I'm just curious, why wasn't this a big hit?

I give this a 10 out of 10! Spectacular film! (And this is coming from a guy who thinks that 9 out of 10 movies aren't even worth watching.)

Sweet romantic comedy

Author: AKS-6 from Sweden
17 February 2001

[This comment contains **SPOILERS**]

David Duchovny in a romantic lead? "Nah, don't think so," was what I thought before I saw the film. Well, I was wrong, Duchovny's performance in this movie is great. Minnie Driver also gives a likeable performance.

Return to Me is a sweet romantic comedy and it seems different from other romcoms simply because of the premise (which most of you know all about already, so I won't bring it up here). But the movie isn't really different from other romcoms apart from the fact that it is sweeter, more interesting and generally better than most other films belonging to the genre. But let's face it: from the moment you pop the cassette (disc) into the video (DVD-player) you know where this is going to end. The film is also about twenty minutes too long and some scenes are so obviously superfluous that you'll be asking yourself why they left them in the film. I'm thinking about the (boring) scenes with Grace's grandfather and his friends discussing music, in particular. Also, other scenes are ridiculous, e.g. Sydney responding to Grace the way he responded to Bob's wife. Too much, really.

Overall, though, Return to Me is a good film with likeable performances by Duchovny and Driver.

A warm, fuzzy romantic comedy with heart. ***1/2 out of ****.

Author: Blake French (dlfspartan@aol.com) from USA
6 April 2000

RETURN TO ME / (2000) ***1/2

Starring: David Duchovny, Minnie Driver, Bonnie Hunt, David Alan Grier, Joely Richardson, James Belushi, Robert Loggia, Eddie Jones, and Carroll O'Connor. Directed by Bonnie Hunt. Written by Bonnie Hunt and Don Lake. Running time: 113 minutes. Rated PG (for language and thematic elements).

"Return to Me" is a warm and fuzzy romantic comedy with heart-in metamorphic and literal terms. Unlike a lot of recent romances, this film is not suggestive or sexy, but gentle and gradual. Director, writer and star Bonnie Hunt is descriptive in believable methods, detailing human emotions and the bitterness loneliness. This is one of the most effective, if somewhat formulaic, comedy-dramas this year.

David Duchovny stars as Bob Rueland, a modern day construction consultant. He and his wife, Elizabeth (Joely Richardson), are a happily married, offspring-free couple living a life of honesty and hard work. Elizabeth is in the process of founding a natural habitat for gorillas currently living in enclosed captivity. Bob's best friend, Charlie Johnson, (David Alan Grier) supports the Rueland's whenever need may be.

"Return to Me" contains two separate story lines before narrative connection in the second act. The secondary story centers on a young woman named Grace Briggs (Minnie Driver), who requires a heart transplant in the very near future. Megan and Joe Dayton (Bonnie Hunt and James Belushi) support her. This family owns an Italian Restaurant in which Bob and Grace meet one night.

This is an excellent setup containing thoroughly developed characters, a clear dramatic premise, emotional and physical conflicts, and an unusual structure. Although we do not witness some of the important narrative actions, (Grace's recovery from surgery, an automobile accident resulting in the death of a character), the film firmly paces itself with various plot elements and emotional qualities.

"Return to Me" inhabits many enormously likable characters. Both central characters, Bob Rueland and Grace Briggs, empathetic and believable, are in a homespun situation. They both contain chemistry-rich elegance and gracefulness. There are very funny moments planted by Megan and Joe's comically dysfunctional family. This family appears somewhat unfocused but wisely portrayed as background characters developing Grace's lifestyle with more depth.

The film's humor is handled with delicacy and knowledge. The filmmakers are careful not to travel over the top in hilarity; this is not a story about slapstick issues but about heartfelt secrets and personal fears. Comedy is not overabundant nor overwhelming and does not distract the story from developing its themes. Every funny moment in "Return To Me" is scattered throughout the context of the plot.

David Duchovny and Minnie Driver pair up for the perfect unlikely romantic couple. The inspirational performance by Driver induces lovable charm and imagination. Duchovny is also engagingly sweet, filling his character with polished humility. Likewise, the background performances are magically funny and heartwarming. The actors paint their characters beautifully.

"Return to Me" is the kind of date movie where the characters and the audience go home happy and warm. Bonnie Hunt is on target with this comedy straight from the heart, leaving viewers with a cuddly feeling of satisfaction.

"Return to Me" is brought to you by MGM Productions.

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]