IMDb > Lethal Weapon 4 (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

An excellent movie

Author: MinorityReporter from Denmark
9 August 2005

Who said all movie series become worse with every installment? Lethal Weapon 4 is probably the best fourth movie in a series ever. I find it incredible that the magic is still there. The main characters still feed of each other and their friendship (both on set and off set) is clearly felt in every scene they have together. Mel Gibson has finally laid the ghost of his wife to rest and is as chipper as ever. He does this without seeming truly obnoxious (even though that is a part of his character). In fact he seems more likable in this film than he did in all the previous films. Danny Glover reprises his role from the previous movies and that is not a bad thing because the Murtaugh role is the best of his career. Rene Ruso returns in her part and although it has been cut down considerably its still a decent role. Joe Pesci is also back and this time around he gets to add some depth to the character (something that was missing in the previous film). Chris Rock is decent. He isn't much of an actor but he is pretty funny and fresh. His part also adds a little something to the all-round comedy of the film, but if you want to know what it is you will have to watch the movie yourself. Jet Li is the villain in this movie and while he is the weakest villain in the series acting wise, he is definitely the most menacing.

The action is still brilliant despite the fact that the actors are getting older. The story is decent for a fourth film and the overall execution is brilliant. I actually prefer this film to the second and third of the series because I find it to be more entertaining overall. It cuts down on the seriousness (even though its still there) and adds a lot to the comedy and this is a very good choice.

All in all an excellent film. Highly recommendable for all fans of action movies and the series in particular.

Lethal Weapon 4 - Great ending to a great series

Author: bujinbudoka from United States
23 April 2006

This movie is the end of a series which spanned almost two decades.

This time around Riggs (Gibson) is facing three very personal problems. 1) Age is catching up to him, 2) his g/f is pregnant and he's facing being a daddy, and 3) he's facing the dilemma of wanting to remarry. Also, Murtaugh (Glover) is about to be a grand-daddy to a baby by his oldest daughter, and she is secretly married to Detective Butters (Chris Rock), which everyone is keeping a secret from him.

Add to this the fact that both they are now taking on one of the most powerful crime syndicates in the world, the Chinese Triads, in an effort to stop slave trading and money laundering. The task of a bad guy this time goes to Jet Li, who made his American debut (atleast from an American Film Company) in this movie. Yes, this is the movie which launched him here in the states, and he deserved it.

This movie is as good as the rest of them, though nothing beats part 2 in my opinion. Lethal Weapon 4 really hits home on a lot of subjects, such as facing responsibility, to coming to terms with who you are. And it ended the series in a way that makes you smile and love it even more.

I give it a 9 out of 10.

A Solid Sequel

Author: gaccrev from United States
17 January 2005

OK... so the language is gratuitous. Just having Chris Rock on set put it over the top. But his acting aside, I thought this was a worthy addition to one of the best cop/buddy series around. It was enjoyable to see the characters we love deal with the inevitabilities of aging and the fierce loyalty of friendship. Some of the mystery is gone and it feels like a pair of comfortable shoes. But aren't those shoes your favorite ones? It was interesting to see the development of Lorna and Riggs' relationship, as well as the growing up of the Murtaugh kids. It makes you feel like you're catching up with old friends at a reunion! Plenty of action and the incredible work of Jet Li make this movie a favorite at my house. Overall, a great wrap-up to the series and a lot of fun for long time fans. Worth seeing! If the language is a real issue, watch for it on TNT and enjoy the edited version.

great

Author: colinwhitefan
25 May 2003

There are some movies where you get sick and tired of sequels, but the Lethal Weapon series isn't one of them, all are full of action and humor, with Chris Rock and Joe Pesci. Lethal Weapon 4 has some awesome sequences of action and lots of explosions, guns, blood, fighting, and everything you would expect out of a action flick. I seen a lot of action movies this ranks up there with the best I have seen, well worth your money.

Perfect balance between comedy and action

Author: MrOtioc from Portugal
17 March 2006

Well, the script in the film is brilliant. Joe Pesci, as always, makes the crowd laugh until they have tears in their eyes. Just by having Chris Rock in the cast makes the film worthy of watching. Just like the other lethal weapon films, there's the great duo that makes this film shine, and of course that i am talking about Mel Gibson and Danny Glover. My favorite part of the movie is where Joe Pesci has a little "argument" with Danny Glover, and the constant mistakes by Mel saying the name of Cris Rock's character are hilarious. The roof top jumping and the last fight with Jet Li was also great. So if you haven't seen this, get some some money from your parents and go and rent it!!!

The Magic Was Still There

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
23 May 2002

It is extremely rare for the fourth film in a series to be just as good as it's three predecessors. Lethal Weapon 4 was awesome.

Mel Gibson and Danny Glover had no trouble recreating the magic from the first three films. The humour was there, the action was there and the chemistry between them was there. Joe Pesci was back as Leo Getz.

Lethal Weapon 3 was released in 1992, Lethal Weapon 4 was released in 1998. Six years had passed yet none of the actors or production staff involved in Lethal Weapon 4 had any problem in making a great movie.

The action throughout is brilliant (are real American policemen as mad as Riggs and Murtaugh?). And of course the humour is there; particularly the beginning of the movie where Murtaugh (Danny Glover) strips down to his underwear in the rain and acts like a chicken in order to distract the bad guy. There are other humorous scenes throughout and a great plot too.

Roll on Lethal Weapon 5.

The fourth installment in the now huge Lethal Weapon series has no shortage of action, but it just doesn't have the high quality of the last three.

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
22 January 2001

By this point in the series, it seems that they just aren't trying as hard with these films, which is kind of a shame. The Lethal Weapon series is really a good group of action films, but part 4 doesn't really seem to take itself seriously. It clearly had the biggest budget and probably some of the most elaborate stunts and action scenes (as well as some of the most exciting, such as that thrilling freeway chase scene), but many of the other elements of the film have deteriorated badly.

I think that with the addition of Chris Rock, while he delivered a satisfactory performance as far as the role that he was playing, caused the film to detract into too much goofy comedy, which unnecessarily diverted attention away from the surprisingly interesting smuggling plot involving illegal Chinese immigrants and counterfeit money. Joe Pesci was just as funny as ever, which is probably the reason the Chris Rock actually took away from the film as a whole. Pesci is all the comic relief that a Lethal Weapon movie ever needed, and Rock is another substantial addition of comic relief that just isn't necessary.

Danny Glover and Mel Gibson work great together for the fourth time; I'm beginning to wonder if they couldn't go on with this great duo forever. And of course, Renee Russo is back, with her and Riggs picking up with their quirky relationship, right where they left off at the end of part 3. But the person who really steals the whole show is Jet Li. Man, I thought Jackie Chan was fun to watch! Even though it's not all exactly real, this guy pulls out some unbelievable martial arts moves that give Lethal Weapon 4 a much-needed boost of energy. I wonder how long it will be before Jet Li and Jackie Chan come out with a movie together. Probably never, because if they worked together, no one could touch them, and if they were enemies, neither of them would be able to end up as the loser or the bad guy. Oh well, we can still hope, right? Even though the 4th installment in the Lethal Weapon series is not nearly as good as any of the previous three, it still remains a quality action film, despite its many weaknesses.

One Of the Rare Franchises That Never Gets Too Overbearing and Dull...

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
4 December 2002

Lethal Weapon 4 starts out with a boring and ridiculous beginning. I remember watching it the first time and thinking, "oh no, another bad sequel."

However, once past the first ten minutes, the film starts to pick up its pace and retreat into familiar Lethal Weapon style.

Just like film 2 and 3, Lethal Weapon 4 isn't as good as the original, but it never gets to the point of unbearable. It is quite entertaining and fun to watch, with some very great actors, that have some very great chemistry between each other.

Mel Gibson and Danny Glover fit like a glove, and Joe Pesci is perfect as the comedy relief, not being like the recent "side kicks" we always see, that are so obnoxious we want to punch them. Mr. Pesci is a very talented actor, and he always makes me laugh, whether it's Lethal Weapon 4 or Raging Bull and Casino.

Rene Russo provides Mel's love interest yet again, and though I found the marriage thing a bit of a throw-in, it was still good for the story. It provided some laughs at the end of the film.

Chris Rock stars in one role where his character is not completely annoying or loudmouthed, mainly because he wasn't extremely famous yet, and had only been on SNL and a few small roles in film... Joes Pesci and him throw back and forth a few insults and jokes, and bounce off each other, which helps me welcom Rock a bit more.

Jet Li's first American film, I believe, proves he can be a quite and intriguing character, which later helped him get roles in films like Kiss of the Dragon and The One.

Another thing about this franchise is that director Richard Donner directed all four films, and it's always good to use the original director for a sequel, rather than a lesser director, as we have countless examples of. (especially horror films!)

From the opening jazz music we have come to love, Lethal Weapon provides enough entertainment and fun to keep one entertained, and it's definitely worth watching. I hope they stop while they're ahead, and do not make another Lethal Weapon film, because it's rare for a film series to still be entertaining and imaginative after these many sequels. 3/5 stars-

My favorite of all Lehtal movies

Author: jacquelinemullinix from United States
23 September 2006

This is by far my favorite out of all the Lethal movies. I love the first one two. I am a Lethal Weapon movie fan, so I like all of them, but the 4th is my favorite. It is the humor that I love.

Chris Rock and Joe Pesci are great together. I also love Renee Russo's character. It is nice to see such a strong female character in a action movie. Although I would have like to see her role bigger, she still had a good part. Although her role in the 3rd installment was a little better.

I would still like to see yet a 5th installment to see where everyone is now.

A worthy end to a Lethal Legacy

Author: anonymous from California, USA
8 June 1999

So many people have knocked this film, I guess they have forgotten what movies are all about. Loud, action sequences, and humor mixed in for two or more hours of entertainment. The more characters they add also adds to the completion. After all fans noticed that Rianne had a crush on Martin Riggs in the first movie. As the movies went on, each new Lethal showed that was a harmless crush. Martin Riggs who lost his wife because he was a cop, is afraid of getting married again for fear of losing Lorna. My favorite portion is seeing that Martin Riggs after so many times of being the tough hero, needs Roger Murtaugh at the finale to finish the battle. Also you finally see the clenching speech,given by who else Leo Getz, that makes Martin run for the altar with Lorna. Lethal Weapon was the start of a partnership, when they were paired together. Lethal 2 built on that relationship, when Riggs admitted some things he never said before( you find out more about Victoria Riggs death). Lethal 3 tested it, when Murtaugh was going to retire and his kid's friend was killed by him. Lethal Weapon 4 finally made it a family, by well you just have to watch this to see and hear the ultimate ending line to a film. All in all a great movie to watch.

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]