IMDb > "Extreme Ghostbusters" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Extreme Ghostbusters"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Extreme Ghostbusters" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Godly stuff. Perhaps the greatest series ever made?

Author: 2inC from Poland
22 December 2005

The Ghostbusters were quite a phenomenon when they released and for good reason. The 80s should often be considered as the golden era of animation and the Real Ghostbusters (RGB) cartoon was among it. After that, there was quite a lull and everything that followed was subpar and lacking.

The 1990s were mostly disappointing until 1997, when the XGB released. When one first sees the commercials, one says to himself "OMG!Another Ghostbusters cartoon! This is going to be huge!". When the day finally came, XGB turned out to be exactly that and more, for the first time ever, exceeding everything of equal effect in the 80s including the (now dated) RGB. We're talking bleeding edge animation here, maintaining the very same uniqueness that made the RGB stand out, only with 1 or 2 generations of evolution in standards, with serious plots replacing the purely humor-centric plots of the RGB and better characters. Are these guys, the XGB team, including Richard Raynis and Fil Barlow, Gods or what?

Some nice elements of the RGB are missing and this includes the musical sequences which was typical of 80s cartoons. However, since the sequences were never matched with visual splendor, they seemed more like surrogate time wasting tactics rather than genuine plus points. Despite this, the songs were good and were missed, although XGB filled the gaps by adding in more content and detail.

XGB represents a major evolution in visual excellence and fine experiences. Even after the series concluded, no show to date has even come close. I've even shown this to men under my command and they love it too. You'll appreciate it even more if you are into Ghostbusters in general.

One of the best cartoons ever made

Author: egbkid from Canada
4 November 2000

This is one of the best cartoons ever made. Stereotypes are gone in this show. Gone, out the window! I mean, how often do you see a group who would normally be outcasts in a cartoon or television show? When I went to school learning Early Childhood, I was told cartoons that are best for young children contain certain elements. Some of these elements are showing different cultures working together; showing people with different abilities working together and doing different things that would normally be considered unable to be done; guys and girls doing the same job, with no difference between them, etc, and guess what? Extreme Ghostbusters conforms to this EXACTLY! Of course, it is a little violent, so I wouldn't let my three year old watch it. But I recommend Extreme Ghostbusters to ANY school age child, including all you teenagers out there (after all, I got hooked on it when I was seventeen). This show is what made me realize what I want to do with my life, animation, So ENJOY!!

The final frontier

Author: Salve_Regina from United States
25 May 2006

If you are reading this, you already know how awesome EGB/XGB is, therefore no spoilers are necessary. From the creators of the superb "The Real Ghostbusters", comes the next generation in the franchise. However, in the case one saw the latter as a child in the 80s, one should let go of preconceived notions and approach this with a somewhat open mind, given that a lot of changes have been made. Intelligent people should have no problem doing that anyway. It is difficult to compare RGB and XGB as they are both different approaches. At the same time, the same charm and competence that made RGB is also present here.

Explanation? Consider that Masamune Shirow made both the hilarious and brilliant "Dominion : Tank Police" AS WELL as the ultra serious "Ghost in the Shell". If you're into gaming, consider 3DRealms who made the hilarious "Shadow Warrior" and are also currently producing the very serious, emotionally sensitive, "Prey". That same logic applies here : The people who made the comedy centric and somewhat childish "Real Ghostbusters" have also made the very serious, mature and emotionally driven, Extreme Ghostbusters. At the same time, the latter is not outright serious, at least as far as conversations are concerned. It has the same comical charm of RGB and even betters it several times.

Extreme Ghostbusters is not the overtly commercial production that the RGB was, and it does not rely on proved formulae and predictable events, straightforward story lines, and does not have 80s dance music slewed to fight sequences. The focus is on serious plots, emotion, dangerous threats and atmosphere, rather than handling Ghosts as more of a "pest" problem, with superior production at all levels. It is almost as if a Higher Power was dictating everything and the team was implementing it. (Someone did say that this was Godly stuff. I agree.) The new characters are superb. Kylie Griffin in particular, is awesome and amazing. Wow. Some make a rather strange claim that the new characters are modelled on the old ones but that would be a rather biased and twisted way of saying that the same competence used to design the old ones, was also used in the new series.

Unfortunately, aiming for a mature audience instead of children cost the series its commercial success. That, besides horrible timings and poor marketing and PR, did not help either. It did generate a number of video games though. It also not that this series was not without certain faults, but the good parts by far, overcome the few bad. One thing that was disconcerting was that some of the original characters who reappeared, have been "modernised" and lose their original look, not to say the new ones are'nt any good. However, one learns that this was a copyright issue! What an irony. Overall, the animation is state of the art, superb, and shows the capabilities of the industry. The realism is brilliant.

I was very very very very lucky and blessed to have caught this series on TV. Today, there are very few purchase options for those who did'nt : You can buy a few of the eps on Amazon but the tapes are EP speed! You can buy the whole series from a third party but the recording quality from TV is not that good, with a lot of aliasing and noise. You can get the DVD from ebay but the digital compression ruins a lot of the animation quality, besides which, conversion from A->D also included the problems from the former.

For the few narrow minded who are still dissatisfied, all I can say is that RGB was already stretched to 140 episodes and was getting stale after the first two seasons already. Quality and Quantity don't often intersect. Even so, I was very upset that Extreme Ghostbusters lasted only 1 season ie 40 eps. Whether one personally "enjoyed" RGB or XGB more, and the concepts behind both, is irrelevant. Plain truth is that Extreme Ghostbusters reflects a superior production and series. I have seen 100s of shows over the years, but this by far, beats all of them. No other show can even touch this. Its IS Ghostbusters, afterall! Best Regards

Memorable Charactors

Author: (ingrid600@aol.com)
27 October 2000

Extreme Ghostbusters was a very well done series with action, adventure, and memorable characters: Eduardo, the main character was a slacker, but he could also be brave. Garrett, the hero was always the first to jump into action. Roland was the brains behind the operation, (he was the one to modernize the equipment). Kylie was the encouragement on the team, you could always count on her to free you from the demons. Too bad it was canceled, I would like to see a new season.

Simply the best

Author: Consultant2
5 November 2005

EGB is a continuation and the next generation of the very popular Ghostbusters from the 80s. EGB however, meets and exceeds our high standard of expectations through the delivery of a ground breaking and phenomenal show that leaves pretty much everything else in the bin.

EGB is easily the best incarnation of the Ghostbusters ever, although many changes have been made but for the better. For the very first time, the elements of full seriousness have been included. To call it incredible would be a gross understatement. Although only one season was made, it makes up for the lack of quantity through quality and superior animation.

One particular episode "True face of a monster" must be the best (20 min) episode in the history of animation.

My humble salute to the developers. All hail you!

11/10 Stars.

Very cool show, unhappy that it was cancelled

Author: kiyakid from New Brunswick
15 March 2000

Extreme Ghostbusters was (and still is, although no new shows have been made) my absolute FAVORITE cartoon of all time. the characters were like real people, the animation was superb, and the actors were the best (Jason Marsden{Garrett Miller} went on to Disney films), and it teaches that people who may be considered not right for this job, can do it. I say this because in this show, the Ghostbusters are a black man who is a serious scholar, a Spanish man who is considered a slacker, a man who uses a wheelchair, and a woman, all teens. I wish Extreme Ghostbusters was still on air, as I think it would be a really good show for children now to see the Ghostbusters. They don't know about the movies in the 1980's, nor the cartoons that were out. If it was continued, it would be a hit. Extreme Ghostbusters is one of the best animated series of 1997, and it would be really nice if there was a film made, whether animated or live action. I, like many others, am sorry it was cancelled, but I highly recommend the series to anyone who sees it on video in stores.

Ahead of its time

Author: audiologic_randix
14 June 2006

Extreme Ghostbusters was and is one of the greatest shows of all time and that's already well known. Having lasted only one season may have put off a lot of people but we must realise that most good shows aren't always very long. Gorgeous and stunning Kylie Griffin is my favourite character of all time. A classic that needs to be archived. Waiting eagerly for the official DVD release! That should have been done a long time ago but then again, a customer base will take time to build. Unfortunately it is also one the last great series in Cartoon history. I doubt that the industry could pick up from there, having reached the peak. They've tried many attempts in other series to make a mature product but failed miserably and this series is unique. I hope that TV channels pick it up and play it repeatedly. 11 out of 10 stars.

Great show! Want to see another season!

Author: (ingrid600@aol.com) from ??
2 November 2000

I believe this show makes the original movie die of shame. This is my favorite show, and I record it every morning so I can watch it when I come home. Extreme Ghostbusters was, I think, a brilliantly done cartoon with the entire ghost busting essentials; including the fully equipped Ecto1, new and improved psychokinetic energy (PKE) detectors, and of course, the modernized proton blasters!

The characters were brilliantly thought up also. Roland was the strait intellectual character who helps to tinker with the new ghost busting equipment. Kylie, often misinterpreted for and "ice queen" was always the one to figure out what the ghost of the episode was, and how to defeat it. Garrett was the hero or more popularly known as "the butt kicker" of the show, but he had a sensitive side too (remember Persephonetheous?). Eduardo, the slacker, was also a guy of action with a sensitive side (he had a major crush on Kylie but never did anything about it).

I'm sick of you people being so technical with your comments about how differently the writers have decided these characters should be. They obviously thought it would make the show more exiting with a wide variety of characters, and this way, it isn't labelling any one kind of people group. I think it was a very good idea to put in such a variety of characters we often make stereotypes about.

Again, great show and I hope we see another season!

Groundbreaking classic and the only one from the 90s.

Author: vansepe from United States
20 June 2006

Brilliant in every way and something to treasure deeply. Lovely characters, especially Kylie. However, I must react to two stupid comments made, comparing this unfavourably against the original. If you've never seen the original series as a prepubescent, you'll never understand why people even want to compare the older one with the newer one, which is ten generations ahead in every single way in terms of quality? However, you may be victim to a differing and skewed perspective if you did.

While the older series titled "The Real Ghostbusters" aka RGB derived a lot of success from the popularity of the GB-1 and 2 movies through offering continuity, this series distances itself from that original theme and introduces a brand new set of characters and new atmosphere. Older one was a fantasy but this ones closer to reality. The heart and engine running both series remains the same (for which I guess, we should credit Richard Raynis most) but the front ends are completely different. This may have invited harsh reactions from a few original fans but I wish to quote someone else who did a review on the Ghostbusters movie page,

------------------------------------------------------------ The premise of "Ghostbusters" is cool, too. We want to be transported into a world in which there are ghostbusters of this kind, so much so that we're prepared to overlook the fact that we're watching fumbled comedy rather than successful fantasy. ------------------------------------------------------------

He is of course, talking about the perspective of an 8 year old. The perspective of an 8 year old or any pre-pubescent blissfully enjoying the RGB series and the perspectives of the same grown man watching the same series cannot be the same. At the most, it can be blissful short term nostalgia. Add this disappointment to the fact that a superior series was derived through replacing the original favourites and making a lot of changes, one will start to feel cheated. So what would one do?

React sharply and choose to ignore reality? Yes. If a complete and utter fool willing to soak his mind in the darkness of ignorance. Or choose to embrace reality instead of your own skewed perspective? Any smart person would. The solution has been well formulated as XGB, the modernised and mature side of Ghostbusting which should appeal to any fan of the empire. XGB was never marketed as a fantasy comedy anyway, but a thriller bordering on horror themes. Yet they've maintained some of the RGB charm.

One must not let pre-pubescent emotional attachments with RGB rob one of common sense. In other words, XGB is the magnum opus and best effort in the Ghostbusting empire. RGB is not. It is old and it is a classic but its history and obsolete. While XGB is what the creators and need I mention, that these guys are veterans, have to be more proud of, the biggest flaw is the lack of depth, simply due to this series being restricted to just 40 episodes. As a 4 season show, the RGB offered much greater depth, even if replete with filler episodes. One must however not take into account such stuff like "Junior Ghostbusters" and "Slimer! and the RGB" which were just nonsense spin-offs.

PS The animation was brilliant and not like other Sony cartoons. Jtalledo is a lying idiot.

For a spin-off this was almost as good!

Author: Prolox from Canada
10 November 2005

Which is a rarity in spin-offs! This new, but sadly short lived TV series, had EGON SPENGLER recruiting a new team of young Ghostbusters to zap & contain evil entities that has resurfaced in New York after all had went quiet for several years. Although it lacked a bit of the original shows charm, all in all, it re-couped the fun of the earlier series, the animation wasn't as good, but it was still a fun & entertaining show, with plenty of jokes & good ghostly villains, one two parter episode focused on PETER, WINSTON & RAY coming back to see Egon again, another featured the return of THE GRUNDLE whom the original Ghostbusters had an encounter with. The opening credits that played with the theme song however featured some of the original villains from the first series, SAM HAIN, That large Ghost that had a mouth in it's belly that swallowed & mixed up it's ghost followers, but unless I missed an episode of the series, I don't ever recall them being in this series, I remembered there was an episode that dealt with TROLLS, although whether they were the original Trolls that terrorized & took over the bridge in Manhatten in one of the original episodes I don't ever recall. SLIMER & JANINE returned (Though Oddly Slimer only said very few words) Worth a look for fans of the movie & Cartoon series, whether you're young or old, you should enjoy this!

**** stars