Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Page 9 of 354: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Needs better direction

Author: steveuljana from Washington
17 May 2002

George Lucas rendered a good science fiction movie a confusing mess. He succeeded in bringing out the worst in most of his actors, notable exceptions being the robots, Jar Jar Binx and Bobba Fett. The wooden readings, considering the history of the actors clearly a product of the direction, ruin the movie. The terrible scriptings of the romantic scenes rob them of romance and any semblance of credibility, making it impossible to forget the scripted age difference (what is this 30year- old doing with an obnoxious 18year-old?). Some scenes appear to be added purely to be used in follow-up videogames.

Attack of the Clones:An Improvement Over The Phantom Menace

Author: Desertman84 from United States
14 January 2012

The second prequel to the original Star Wars trilogy takes place ten years after the events depicted in Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace.Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones is an epic space opera film directed by George Lucas and written by Lucas and Jonathan Hales. It is the fifth film to be released in the Star Wars saga and the second in terms of the series' internal chronology.

Now 20, young Anakin Skywalker is an apprentice to respected Jedi knight Obi-Wan Kenobi. Unusually powerful in the Force, Anakin is also impatient, arrogant, and headstrong -- causing his mentor a great deal of concern. The pair are ordered to protect Padme Amidala, the former queen of the planet Naboo, now representing her world in the Galactic Senate. Someone is trying to assassinate her on the eve of a vote enabling Supreme Chancellor Palpatine to build a military force that will safeguard against a growing separatist movement led by mysterious former Jedi Count Dooku. After another attempt on Padme's life, Obi-Wan and Anakin separate. The young Jedi and Padme fall in love as he escorts her first to the security of Naboo and then to his home world of Tatooine, where the fate of his mother leads him to commit an ominous atrocity. Meanwhile, Obi-Wan travels to the secretive planet Kamino and the asteroid-ringed world of Geonosis, following bounty hunter Jango Fett and his son, Boba, who are involved in an operation to create a massive army of clones. A vicious battle ensues between the clones and Jedi on one side and Dooku's droids on the other, but who is really pulling the strings in this galactic conflict?

Clones is far from perfect, but when it clicks, it revives the old spirit that made a generation become so obsessed with all things Star Wars in the first place.While it lacks the quality of Empire's script and performances, it is the most visually enthralling of the series so far.It is certainly better than the childish Phantom Menace and the magic has definitely been recaptured.The acting was good as Christensen is a winning mix of sultry and sulky as the now older Anakin, while McGregor is finally beginning to relax as the mentor who understandably refuses to treat his moody pupil like a grown-up.But they all end up being upstaged by the jaw-dropping skills of a CGI creation: Yoda. Lucas has never been able to conjure another Han Solo, a character who could, with simply a wink, remind us that this was just an overgrown Saturday afternoon serial and worse a sort of movie we once loved and then outgrew. Although the scale of it is thrilling,it's too bad the movie is so muddled on so many different levels.But nevertheless,it was an improvement over The Phantom Menace.

Horrible, Overdone, Pathetic, and above all else predictable.

Author: gnrfan2000 from Las Vegas
4 June 2002

People are praising this film as the greatest thing since the invention of the movie projector. I'm sorry you want a great film watch ON THE WATERFRONT, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, THE GODFATHER, THE GODFATHER PART II, or even THE MATRIX. This film is horrible. Here's why.

First off someone needs to send Hayden Christensen to an acting school. Too bad Lee Strasburg is dead because anything he would have told this kid would have been a MASSIVE improvement. This "actor's" (I used the term very loosely) idea of rage comes off as more of a "hissy fit" or five-year old temper tantrum. His idea of sadness takes so much away from the emotional impact that some scenes are supposed to have. Most notably when he goes back to Tattoine. I cannot blame him 100% as much as I would like too however.

The dialogue is awful! I swear if I heard Obi say "My young padawon." I would have KILLED HIM TOO! Annakin got some of the world dialogue portraying him more like the "spoiled rich kid" arrogant punk type that you just want to smack around and say "SHUT UP!" The dialogue and the script make the "love story" seem something like some really bad teenaged chick flick than a serious movie.

The Story: Okay this could have been good but unfortunately it's predictable (which I can't really fault anyone for) but Lucas writes the Jedi Knights to be the DUMBEST order in history. Homer Simpson's StoneCutters order would have been one up on these guys. If there was a competent military commander on EITHER side this war would have never started. The forshadowing is lame, odvious, and comes off poorly. And the Stormtroopers/Clones well lets just say Boba-Fett has a reason to work for the Empire in Episode V.

Editing: Some scenes needed to be longer and two scenes could have been shortened by about 4 minutes apiece.

The good: The Special Effects and Yoda. This one lacks a serious "back guy" like Darth Maul was in Episode I. HELL JAR-JAR-BINKS WAS BETTER IN THIS ONE! But man the effects were bloody awesome and Yoda ruled and was completely underused.

Boring!

Author: Karl Lehmann (yogbert42@hotmail.com) from Berlin, Germany
18 May 2002

There are films that keep you thinking about them for days to come. "Star Wars - Attack of the Clones" is not one of them. Ok, the special effects are great, but that's about all. I was surprised to see the closing credits since I was still waiting for the plot to start. Even "Lord of the Rings (Part I)" was much better. I work in the special effects industry, so this was mandatory viewing for me, but I'm appalled when filmmakers use a movie as a mere vehicle to show off the achievements of their computer graphics team and have no interest in the actual story. This is especially disappointing for a high profile film like this, where so much talent of the animators was wasted on a story so lacking in imagination.

Weakest of the bunch.

Author: FraxinusExcelsior from Sweden
6 February 2015

Disclaimer: I am 18 years old and until now I had never seen Star Wars. While most people's view on Star Wars nowadays is clouded by nostalgia, here is my unaffected take on these 'classics'. I'm watching in this order: IV - V - I - II - III - VI

I found The Phantom Menace to be quite enjoyable. This sequel feels merely like an extension of it, with similar decent humor, writing and acting. Not a bad by any means, but definitely not an improvement either.

If anything, I would actually say that Attack of the Clones is slightly worse than its predecessor. The cast feels like a downgrade. Liam Neeson and (in my opinion) surprisingly charming Jake Lloyd have left the cast and Hayden Christensen has stepped in. Christensen's Anakin Skywalker feels odd, unpredictable and quite confusing. One second he is acting like he is about to turn evil, and then the next I'm supposed to be rooting for him? Maybe that is just how his character is written, with Skywalker being of his rebellious age, but it is not appreciated in my eyes.

Also, Yoda seems a bit off. I don't know how to explain it. He was really charming in IV and V, and I hardly payed much attention to him in I. But in this movie, I've noticed that he is not as funny anymore and his knick of rephrasing sentences has really started to wear off as entertaining.

Though as mentioned earlier, in almost all other aspects, Attack of the Clones is just a 'clone' (heh) of The Phantom Menace. It is just the slightly weaker cast that drags it down by comparison.

Not a bad movie. McGregor, Portman and most of the cast still shine. So does the writing and the action. I did enjoy this movie. But out of the ones I've seen so far, (IV, V, I, II) this is the 'worst' one yet.

But being 'worst' is far from being bad in this franchise, needless to say.

Star Bores Episode II-Attack of the Yawns!

Author: Robert (robert@rmcelwaine.fsnet.co.uk) from Clydebank, Scotland
25 March 2003

* Terrible * * Below Par * * * Not Bad * * * * Good * * * * * Brilliant

Last year did not see many, if not any really good summer blockbuster movies. The usual clutch of commercial popcorn movies were hurled at us from those big wigs at Hollywood and one that stuck in my mind was this effort. Not because it was the best. Oh, no. Because it was undeniably in my opinion the biggest load of garbage since 'The Phantom Menace' three years previously.

Over the years George Lucas has released wave upon wave of movie as a producer that was not as big as the good yet over rated star wars movies(Apart from the Indiana Jones movies). The 1986 effort of Howard: A New breed of Hero was a huge turkey of a movie that flopped big time at the box office. The fantasy adventure movie he produced which Ron Howard directed, called 'Willow' with Val Kilmer was a better effort but also failed to bring in the audiences.

So why people went to see this drivel is any one's guess.Personally I believe they were hoping for an improvement. Don't get me wrong. I was one of them. Having seen both trailers for Episode II for free(I work in a cinema)I was quite hopeful from the look of them. Boy, was I wrong.

This segment in the Star Wars saga concerns the young Anakin Skywalker (Played here by new comer Hayden Christiensen). No longer the little boy we saw in Episode I: The Phantom menace, but a nineteen year old Padawan apprentice to now, Master Jedi Obi-Wan-Kenobi(Ewan MacGregor reprising the roll).

Ten years have passed since the battle of Naboo and the two Jedi are given the task by the Jedi high council of protecting Padme Amidala (Nathalie Portman), once ruler of Naboo she has now become a senator to her home world. Her life is being threatened by a separatist movement lead by the enigmatic Count Dooku,(Christopher Lee) a former Jedi Master who detests the ever growing corruption in the galactic senate and plans to put a stop to it by what ever means he sees fit.

The reason for the threat on Padme's life is the fact that she plans to put a vote in the senate that will enable the senate to build a grand army of the republic to combat against the seperatists. The Jedi's number are not strong enough to cope against the many that are out there. As Jedi Master Mace Windu states, 'We are keepers of the peace. Not soldiers.'

Of course as always things are not quite as they seem and the events of the movie will lead Anakin back to his home planet of Tataooine and the grim realisation of what has become of his mother. Not only that but we witness the first unsubtle steps he will take to joining the Darkside.

Sadly however, the promise that the movie had is compeletly lost in a badly written script with characters who are never well enough drawn out. Anakin who is so woodenly portrayed by Canadian new comer Hayden Christiensen does not come across as a idealistic young apprentice coping with the enormity incredible powers, so much as a spoiled brat who forever has a hissy fit when he doesn't get his own way. You constantly wonder why Obi-Wan as he states in the previous trilogy, loved him so much.

Ewan Macgregor does a slightly better job as Anakin's supposed friend and Master Obi-Wan Kenobi.Now no longer the rebellious apprentice he was in the Phantom Menace he is a wiser more medetive man. However Macgregor can't seem to fully convince as the younger Obi-Wan.He is unable to harness Alec Guinesse's mannerism's voice and the character is so different. Too different from the older man he becomes. Never the less Macgregor does apear to have fun in the roll.

Nathalie Portman like Christiensen is undeniably flat in her portrayal. She lacks the charisma to make Padme the fully memorable character that Princess Leia was in the earlier film's. But then that's probably down more to the writing of the script than her boring performance.

The rest of the supporting cast with the exception of maybe Christopher lee is absoleutly terrible. A normally reliable Samuel L. Jackson tries bravely to cope with the script but sadly fails while Ian Mcdiarmid as the future Emperor, Chancellor Palpatine fall short of expectations.

One of the few wise moves that Lucas makes his decreasing the screen time of one of the most unpopular characters from the first movie. That of Jar-Jar Binks. It's good to see that he at least listened to the fans when it came to this irritating character. Shame he couldn't erase him completly.

In surmising Episode II has very slight redeeming features but none to prevent it from being possibly just as bad as 'The Phantom Menace'. Lucas has tried telling a story in at two hours and twenty minutes is just not quite long enough and feels a bit rushed. If you do really want to see this film rent it out. But don't make the mistake of buying it. Robs Rating: *

whoa....

Author: cgaela from somewhere
19 March 2003

Wow, I went into this movie thinking it would be okay but I was sorely mistaken. This movie was incredibly boring, oh my gosh. About an hour into and I really really wanted to leave, or at least fall asleep. I thought all the other movies were just fine but this was just bad. Even the scene between Yoda and the bad guy was just dumb. I also think they shouldn't have had the love thing going on 'cuz that just seemed like it took away from the movie.

Boring and Bad

Author: (pksoze22@hotmail.com) from New Jersey
10 December 2002

Unless you're a diehard Star Wars fan don't waste your time. The movie is nice to look at. But the acting is wooden and stale. And things just happen to characters that one really has no emotional attachment to. This may be mediocre as a Star Wars movie but as a regular movie its barely tolerable.

drowning in a special effects pool

Author: ekinomania (ekinomania@yahoo.com)
16 February 2004

i could never guess that star wars would be drowning in a special effects pool.the star wars of the 80's were much more exciting than the last ones.i think the things that make star wars exciting are its diologues and its main idea.star wars don't need tricks to be a perfect film.the advance in special effects made george lucas's eyes blind.if he had gone on as he was,the last two films could be even better than the first ones with such options he has.he shouldn't be concerned about the box office,he should be concerned about how we,the true fans of the star wars,will react to the film.otherwise he loses more than he wins.

If only they could have cloned Episode V

Author: Bill Slocum (bill.slocum@gmail.com) from Greenwich, CT United States
13 December 2003

What was it that set Darth Vader off to join the dark side of the force? This film suggests several possibilities: 1) The killing of his mother by Tusken Raiders caused him to channel John Wayne in 'The Searchers.' 2) Getting passed over during the N' Sync tryouts. 3) Discovering the woman of his dreams, upon closer inspection, is a carbonite mannequin. 4) Excess pressure on the back of his head from the so-'90s rattail he wears. 5) The shock of learning his father was evil guy Cole from "Bachelor Party."

Hayden Christensen reminds me a lot of the character Robert Prescott played in "Bachelor Party," and that's not a good thing. Prescott's supposed to be comically over-the-top in his smugness and arrogance. As I understand the story of "Attack Of The Clones," young Anakin Skywalker is not comic relief. He is challenged by forces within him he can't control, and a sense of outrage at the way things are. He doesn't like being an apprentice, and he doesn't understand why his love for Princess (oops, now Senator) Amidala is not returned. It's a tough part, not Hamlet, but requires a more nuanced delivery than Christensen seems able to provide. Instead he sort of throws up a series of Tiger Beat poses. He sneers. He smirks. He seethes. Petulance is not a trait that makes one like a character. Before this film was over, I felt like yelling "Hurry up and turn to the dark side so I can feel better about hating you!"

Christensen is just one actor, but he is required to carry "Attack of the Clones" in a way no actor has before in the "Star Wars" series. So it's impossible to look past him and say something akin to "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" Here Christensen is the play.

Getting another actor would have improved things a little, but not too much. The acting in "Attack of the Clones" is across-the-board abysmal. We lose the best in 'Phantom Menace,' Liam Neeson and (except for an embarrassingly clichéd death scene) Pernilla August. The remaining actors, Ewan MacGregor and especially Natalie Portman, slide into a state of near-catatonia. Portman's tight white lycra skinsuit means she's not only sexy but unencumbered by the ornate regalia that limited her projection in "Phantom Menace." So how come she's more wooden than ever? Obviously the direction was a problem. Lucas is legendarily weak at providing acting direction, but every one of the "Star Wars" films until this had at least serviceable performances. This was one of the worst-acted films I have seen, and I saw "Manos: Hands Of Fate."

The annoying trait Lucas has of connecting everything with everything else finally comes a cropper here, after threatening to do so in "Phantom Menace." The Imperial Stormtroopers, it turns out, are cloned knock-offs of the father of one Boba Fett, future bounty hunter supreme. Why him? And why is the guy moonlighting as an assassin and not telling his boss about his sideline activity? We discover Anakin's mother was sold to some moisture farmers on Tatoonie with a suspiciously familiar love of blue milk. So why does someone get the bright idea of stashing away Darth Vader's offspring with the Evil One's own stepbrother, on Darth's home planet? The problem was the first time Lucas threw a connection at us, in 'Empire Strikes Back,' it was undeniably cool, maybe the best thing in the series. Now he can't resist four or five more trips to the well with each new picture. Meanwhile, his galaxy is becoming more inbred than a kennel of pugs.

The story is more a series of set pieces than any in the saga, with no solid "through line" as screenwriters call it. Everyone runs off in different directions, and characters act with sudden bursts of motivation ascribed to strange feelings or catch-what-can. Christopher Lee's Count Dooku (or was that Duke Countoo) shows up as an interesting character that Lucas seems to want to make us wonder about, in a scene where he warns an imprisoned Obi-Wan about the influence of the Dark Side at the helm of the Republic and promises to help get him free. In that scene, he sounds like a renegade, even an ally. But then Dooku drops the charade and just sends Obi-Wan off to die. What was the point of having the scene in the first place? And also, if Dooku is a Jedi of such great skill, shouldn't he or someone in his great army have their sensors on when an armada of starships appears in the sky overhead?

I like some things in the movie. As video wallpaper, it's kind of neat. The Stormtrooper arrival is fun, and Yoda's light saber battle. But the 'Star Wars' fan in me was bitterly disappointed.

I'm sure Episode 3 will explain all these things away, and bring cohesion to Lucas' epic storyline. There's a better way for Lucas to have pulled that off: Stopping the series at "Empire Strikes Back." Am I the only one who wishes he did?