Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Page 8 of 352: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

An improvement over TPM, though the 'love scenes' made me cringe

Author: blitz0474 from Canada
10 May 2005

I'll never forget how surprised I was when I saw this film opening night. I didn't have to line up (like I did with TPM) so that had me worried right there. I was in a theatre with teenagers that constantly heckled parts (mainly those 'love' scenes). So that ruined the experience for me. In terms of action and story, I'd say it was an improvement over TPM. So that's a good thing. The lightsaber duel at the end was pretty cool. Though the one in TPM is still the best (until I see the ones in ROTS of course). Overall, I think it moved the story forward in a decent way. I don't really see Anakin as a pain as most people did. He is a teenager and pretty whiney so that's to be expected. I didn't like his choice of 'lines' to Padme though. I would be pretty afraid to use those lines on a chick :). It reminds me of what Carrie Fisher said in an interview about Lucas' writing: 'You can write/type this stuff out on paper, you just can't say it'. That's basically my feeling about it. Still, I give it a high rating because, as painful as those scenes were.....seeing the action and Jango/Obi Wan scenes (and the arena battle) made up for it all.

Bottom line: If you can look past the dialogue in some parts and enjoy this movie for what it is - a nice escape from reality (and I really mean that) then please give this movie a chance. I know there are a lot of people who haven't seen this yet, as TPM disgusted them THAT much. Well, to all of you, come on!!. If you want a thought provoking/change your life experience........why see a movie and expect that to happen?!!.

Some may say that Episode II was not as good as the original Star Wars, but those movie cranks are just being mean.

Author: sgj18 from Bournemouth, England
3 November 2002

Episode 2 has been given some pretty bad comments from the critics recently. But why? I understand that some of the script is terrible, and the storyline may be a bit difficult to understand, but didn't the original Star Wars Movies all have the same problems. The Only really convincing Star Wars ever created was The Empire Strikes Back, and George Lucas didn't even direct that one! Still, Attack of the Clones had its good points, the directing was fine, the acting was usually good, and the Lightsaber fight with Yoda was once in a lifetime viewing. So, Just because it didn't quite live up to the original Star Wars movies, doesn't mean it wasn't good. When I first saw Attack of the Clones, I thought it was much better than the phantom menace. Some may say I am wrong, but I always class a film by its ability to excite, convince and influence the viewer. Which it did, to me and those who saw it with me.

George Lucas Strikes Back

Author: LadyFaire from United States
2 November 2002

For true Star Wars fans, the magic is back! Lucas has once again struck gold with Attack of the Clones.

I must admit, I've been a fan since I sat in the theater and watched the original Star Wars in 1977. And, I liked "The Phantom Menace". That said, 'Clones' is much better. Ewan McGregor is fantastic as Obi-Wan, and Hayden Christensen's intensity as the now adult Anakin is stunning. Even though we know how the story ends, we are drawn into the details of a crumbling republic. The secondary characters are interesting and well played, and we get some history on Boba Fett and the Lars connection. On top of all that, we get Christopher Lee as Count Dooku. That bit of casting was brilliant!

'Clones' delivers exactly what we expect from a Star Wars film; absolutely stunning visual effects, fantastic cast, great story, and more fun than should be legal in 2 hours. Mr. Lucas has the unenviable task of writing not one but three prequels. We KNOW what happens to these characters, but he keeps us interested to the point of hoping that the outcome will change; maybe Padme can keep Anakin from turning to the Dark Side, maybe the Republic can be saved.

I can't wait for the DVD, so I can grab my popcorn and enjoy this film again at home until 2005, when the last installment arrives and the saga is complete.

Second best of all 6 star wars movies

Author: cmfurner (cmfurner@yahoo.com) from Pensacola, Florida
3 September 2002

Star Wars is back! This one is much, much better then Phantom Menace. Acting was fairly good and had very good character development. The computer generated special effects look real and much better then the CGI in Episode 1. Only Empire strikes back is better then this one. The end left me wanting for more! I can't wait for Episode III in 2005. It's too long!

Lucus is back to his best

Author: Andy Millard from South wales, UK
19 May 2002

Lucus is back to his best after the relative disaster of Episode 1. The special effects are awesome, and the story lines are all coming together - meaning that Episode 3 should be the darkest of the six films.

Only gripe Hayden Christensen seemed out of place as Anakin, a somewhat wooden performance. Anakin has also aged a lot since Episode 1 yet Amidala only looks about three years older!

Overall an excellent film that is beginning to pull the story totally together - loved the return to Tatooine.

Almost there to the coolest film in the prequels!

Author: joshuadrake-91275 from Clarksville, TN, United States
15 September 2015

After the mixed critical response from fans and box office success of STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE, George Lucas returned to direct the second film in the prequel trilogy, -- which was released from 1999 to 2005 -- and the second film was titled STAR WARS EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES and it was released on May 16, 2002 to mixed to positive reviews.

The film is set ten years after the Battle of Naboo, when the galaxy is on the brink of civil war. Under the leadership of renegade Jedi Master Count Dooku, thousands of systems threaten to secede from the Republic. When an assassination attempt is made on Senator Padme Amidala, the former Queen of Naboo. Jedi apprentice Anakin Skywalker is assigned to protect her, while his mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi is assigned to investigate the assassination attempt. Soon the Jedi, Anakin, Padme and Obi-Wan are drawn into the heart of the separatist movement, and the beginning of a new threat to the galaxy: the Clone Wars.

The story is fast paced, lots of stuff goes on in this 2 hours and 22 minute long film that really makes this movie an improvement over the last film. The thrills in this film are much more awesome.

The action is more incredible and I will say, there are more lightsaber duels and big battles. My favorite lightsaber duels are the Jedi and the Droids fighting on the planet Geonosis and the final fight between Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda and Count Dooku.

I was surprised and this is my only main criticism and this is why this STAR WARS film, along with STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE, appeared on my list of Top 10 Underrated Movies on IMDb on my profile: Despite this film being an improvement over the previous film, the ending was confusing for me. I'm not gonna give that away, but I will say that to have this movie end with Anakin and Padme getting married in secret, could have been done a lot more better.

From an acting perspective, this film does wonders. Ewan McGregor returns as Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and he does an incredible job this time around, but he has his good parts and bad parts in the film. Natalie Portman returns as Padme Amidala and she does really good in both the romantic and non-romantic scenes, but the only romantic scene I actually have a problem with is her character and Anakin kiss at her home in Naboo. Hayden Christensen may not be good as Anakin Skywalker in a few scenes, but some scenes he does struggle.

Frank Oz returns as Yoda, but this time, Yoda is CGI and he does an incredible job with the voice. Samuel L. Jackson returns as Mace Windu and he does an incredible job in the movie, especially having a lot more screen time and is fantastic in the action sequences. Ian McDiarmid is good as Chancellor Palpatine / Darth Sidious. Jar Jar is the one who gives Palpatine emergency powers and this would play a huge part in the next film.

The rest of the cast is amazing and Kenny Baker & Anthony Daniels does great once again as C3PO and R2-D2.

The other criticism that I have is some of the dialogue. Lucas wanted to make the romantic scenes old-fashioned, but there is one problem: This was in 2002 and no teen could understand this, but I can.

His directing is once again top-notch, and this was the film that was the first film to have a turning point in special effects together.

My next criticism is that there is just WAY TOO MUCH CGI used in this film. I don't mind CGI at all, but there is nothing practical in this film at all and this film had a $115 million dollar budget and you could not use anything practical.

The music by John Williams, is as always fantastic to hear and he was composing Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets when he was doing music for this film and my favorite music cue is the romantic ballad, "Across the Stars". The orchestra was just amazing for this musical score and the choir in the action sequences were really amazing.

I think I have to bring up another criticism, which is gonna be my final one and that is some of the acting: The acting in a few scenes is a little stupid, but it is some scenes in the film where I think the actors tried their best to read George Lucas' poor dialogue. This film is a great improvement over the last film and really intense and fun.

Hayden Christensen's performance may have you say something bad about him, but he is a good actor overall.

Overall, STAR WARS EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES is really good and my favorite along with EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH and all three films in the original trilogy. The action is more better, the dialogue is still a problem, but works in this film, the visual effects and action sequences is really fantastic and amazing, the music and production values are incredible. It's very close to getting a 10 out of 10 stars, so overall, I give this an 8 out of 10 and definitely something I can re-watch again.

I will wrap up my STAR WARS prequel trilogy with the third and final chapter of the prequel trilogy: STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH.

A much improve film

Author: Terryfan from United States
22 July 2015

Now while I still feel mix about Episode 1 I have to say Star Wars: Episode 2 Attack of The Clones is a much improve film and shows to be one of the best second films in a series.

It does have it fair share of highs and lows but it still a much better film in the prequel Star Wars films

Our three main protagonists are Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) and Padmé (Natalie Portman).

Yoda (Frank Oz) and Mace Windu (Samuel L. Jackson) also play important roles in the plot of the film along with the mystery around Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid)

Our film main antagonist is Count Dooku (Christopher Lee) and our second antagonist is Jango Fett (Temuera Morrison)

It's hard to explain the plot because it's better if you watch the film to understand it more than I could best explain it but never the less it had a story to go into this film.

There is some emotional performances in this film as you can see the cast emotions in their characters as they did a good performance in the film.

Surprising that they added comedy into the film but I really got a laugh that I had to pause the movie because I couldn't stop laugh then rewind to laugh again.

John Williams once again show case his wonderful talent for making superb music he's a man where anything he touches turns to gold he just knows how to tell a story with his music and this film is no different each piece of music helps tell the story of this motion picture.

Also the fight scenes are very well done and they really took the effort to make each battle the most rewarding part of watching this film each battle is just really thought out and keeps you on the edge

The only draw back is that there are slow down moments in the film and some of the plot is hard to understand but still this film is much improve over the first episode

Overall I really enjoy the film and it shows that with a little work anything can be improve over the last film

I give Star Wars:Episode 2 Attack Of The Clones an 8 out of 10

Best of the prequels

Author: mgruebel from United States
23 March 2014

The prequel trilogy is no match for the original, if for no other reason that it rehashes similar ground 20 years later. But it's not bad space opera, and of the three prequels, I thought this one is the best.

It suffers the usual problems of a middle segment without a real beginning, middle, or end, but the story really makes some progress here, taking us from an assassination attempt of Anakin Skywalkers's love Padme to a long-brewing plot to create an army of the Republic, soon to be an army of the Empire. The Jedi plausibly fall for the manipulations that lead to the need for such an army to counteract the Sith puppet, the Trade Federation. Film 2 also sets up all the key characters from an ambiguously good Anakin to the Emperor, and introduces great new ones, like Count Dookoo.

You can't go wrong casting Christopher Lee as an evil mastermind. He and Peter Cushing, who played the evil mastermind in the original, are grand relics of the glory days of Hammer films, famous for the 60s Dracula and Frankenstein productions. It would have been great to have both of these good friends in the same film (and of sorts, they are in Episode 3). Alas, it was not to be due to Cushing's untimely death many years ago, but it's nice to see them strut their stuff in different parts of Star Wars.

On the other hand, you can go wrong with Hayden Christensen's Anakin. The attack on Anakin's mother provides some background for his fall, but not enough. HC is just not up to the task: he can look brooding, but more like an awkward teenager. The same awkwardness permeates his attachment to the much older and more self-secure Padme. This role, in all three prequels, really needed a more weighty (literally!) actor, a big intelligent farmhand who resented his slavery and had a chip on his shoulder from his earliest days. The actors in the prequels try their best, but they just can't pull it off. They needed someone of David Prowse size with a voice that could mature into a James Earl Jones voice, not just someone with dark rings around his eyes.

The movie has a lot going for it, though, besides Christopher Lee. Interesting chases of assassins and bounty hunters employing them, a Ewan McGregor who is getting more into his Obi Wan routine, a dark background story for the imperial storm troopers, the factory from hell, and a silly but awesome Roman Colosseum scene that segues into a serious battle, where the Jedi in the waning days of their wisdom employ their very undoing to win a temporary victory, as Yoda immediately recognizes. The John Williams music, now derivative of himself being derivative of Dvorak is still great. Some good use is still made of the humor of R2 and 3PO, but not enough. In general, the original trilogy had more fun being a humorous and adventurous space opera, whereas the prequels are lacking in the humor department (unless you think Jar Jar Binks is funny).

As always, Lucas overdoes it on the special effects, and doesn't know when to cut what does not work (like Anakin flying fruit onto Padme's fork). One of the things that made John Carpenters The Thing so great was his good taste in when to cut out unsatisfactory special effects, as anyone who has seen the "deleted scenes" from said film knows.

Still, the film moves along nicely from beginning to end: not as relentlessly as most post- 2000 action flicks, which were scripted for an audience suffering ADD, and not as slow as a 'serious' sf drama like Solaris. If parts VII and onward are about as good as this, the audience should not complain too much. And the Abrams style is much more suited to space opera than to Star Trek in any case.

Star Wars Month #5: Its Actually Better Than People Think, Despite the Dialog

Author: Theflyace from United States
27 January 2014

After fans were driven bonkers by The Phantom Menace, they were hoping upon hope that Attack of the Clones would be better. Again, Lucas seemed to misstep with a lot of them. I laugh at this movie often, but you know, it's a much better movie than people remember. It has a tinge of darkness to it much like Empire Strikes Back does. There are many things in this film that I feel have to be addressed. So here we go.

Ten years or so after the events of Phantom Menace, Queen Padme is now Senator Padme, who immediately starts the movie off with her nearly being assassinated. Talk about starting off with a bang! She suspects former Jedi master Count Dooku (played by the excellent Christopher Lee) of the deed, but the council is skeptical. Now grown up Anakin Skywalker (played by Hayden Christensen) is assigned to protect Padme while his master Obi Wan is dispatched to solve the mystery of the assassin bounty hunter named Jango Fett. Fett has be used as the host for a secret Republic Clone Army (the ancestors of the Stormtroopers) While hiding Padme on Naboo, both begin to feel an attraction for one another, even though its forbidden for Anakin to love another as a Jedi.

The story actually has a lot going on here. Lucas introduces threads that will be long lasting throughout the present Saga of films. We see where the Stormtroopers come from, we learn what the Clone Wars are, we see Luke and Leia's mother, there is just a lot here. But instead of focusing on that, Lucas puts his energy into two main stories. Story A, it seems, is the love story between Anakin and Padme. Story B is Obi Wan figuring out what goes on when Jedi don't look at invisible planets. Both stories are actually very well developed and take time for them to unfold. The love story works well considering the dialog.

We all knew this was coming. The dialog during the love scenes isn't as good as the way it develops. Some lines are truly hokey or wooden in delivery. I feel this mostly comes from Hayden Christensen. In this movie he doesn't seem to be acting as he is sleepwalking through the movie, never really changing his tone unless he is screaming. Portman does her best to at least to seem interested, but if her co-star is sleepwalking, then she can't do much. Some of the lines are actually good, so we can't say every word is awful.

The characterizations in this film are where I have a couple of issues. Obi Wan seems mean and condescending to Anakin in this film, but compared to the first film, his humor is far more funny and his timing is superb. Padme is a very sweet person and dedicated to her job and morals, and she does actually see some good things in Anakin that she loves, but she doesn't become sappy. Yoda and Mace Windu (played by veterans Frank Oz and Samuel L. Jackson in all their grandeur) are spectacular, nothing more to talk about. Count Dooku is a great villain, but it seems like the role was meant for Darth maul had he survived in the first film, but it's Christopher Lee playing him, so hes really good. But the one that I don't like is Anakin. In this film, he is played like a whiny teenager who wants to be master even though he is clearly not ready. One could make the argument that at this age, teenagers are like this, and perhaps that is what George Lucas was going for. But to me, it makes him slightly unlikeable.

For some reason or another, the action scene is this movie seem like a "been there, done that feeling." Except for one scene, they all feel a little done and way too necessary. The other films scenes were as well, but there was some kind of spark that made seem more spectacular and special then they really are. The exception(s) is the lightsaber battles. Wow! These are really good in pacing and the beauty of their choreography, but what makes it special is that we see YODA FIGHT! That alone should make this movie really memorable!

The element of this movie that I think will forever stand the test of time in cinema is the score written by John Williams. Here we have one of the most beautiful themes ever in the history of recorded sound, the love theme known as "Across the Stars." It's such a truly beautiful work of art that completely blends with George Lucas' vision of this world he has created. It's also Williams' best love theme since Superman, which itself is a truly beautiful composition. The action is music is also great, punctuating each movement and tick and making the action seem much more important then how they play out in the logic of the story.

Final Verdict: Its better than I remember, but it is still kind of hokey and funny. It has a well developed story, four interesting characters, and some fantastic music. But the rest is tired, slow, and really bad dialog. So it's better than Phantom Menace, but nowhere close to the next one.

Entertaining action film

Author: darkness-07
12 November 2013

Following Star Wars 1, Anakin is played by a different actor, but is still ridiculously annoying!

However, that aside, there are good bits that are very entertaining: I found Mace Windu (Samuel Jackson) to be brilliant in the film (his purple lightsaber was a personal request of Jackson's so he could find himself in the large battle, and because purple is his favorite color), and Christopher Lee played yet another brilliant "baddie" (loved him in LOTR as well, shame they cut his scene in RotK). The lightsaber battles in the prequel trilogy were much more entertaining to me than the ones in the original trilogy (although VaderVSLuke is still my fav!)

I said the same with Phantom Menace: worth watching at least once