Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Page 7 of 352: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

These characters are going to need some SERIOUS therapy after all this!

Author: obiwan2005 from Los Angeles
20 October 2002

First off, this is a great movie and makes "The Phantom Menace" better by explaining things. It does a great job of piecing the prequel puzzle together. Anakin's anger and hate are swelling. The empire is rising. And we all know it's going to happen. The love scences work well because we know it's going to end badly. Anakin really loves Padme and his master Obi-Wan (AS A FATHER YOU PERVERTS) which makes the knowlege that both characters are going to try to kill each other, sad. Fits well in the STAR WARS legacy and after a viewing leaves you itching to see "Episode III".

RATING: ***1/2 out of ****

this movie was a very good movie

Author: movieaddict85 from seattle
29 September 2002

this movie was great it had good acting , very cool special effects .I loved this movie it is great I recommend this movie to all who loves the series. Because of the way George Lucas made this star wars movie it is dark and violent,so this star wars movie will fit in where it was made to be. I give this star wars movie a A++ , yes it is that good.

Every time I see this movie, it gets better

Author: fernwithy
9 August 2002

Lucas has outdone himself here. Brilliant, just brilliant.

There were a couple of places where the CGI slipped, but generally, the movie was beautiful to look at, which is a big plus. Hayden Chistensen is a fantastic Anakin--he studied and merges four different performances, along with giving his own interpretation. Really phenomenal performance (despite being burdened with cheesy dialogue in places). And I haven't seen a better physical actor in years. Ewan MacGregor is also a lot of fun, and he has the attitude down pat.

The wonderful symbolic imagery throughout this movie is fodder for discussions for years. I won't get into all of it here; if someone is interested, Paul MacDonald's essays at Suite101 are top notch for critical exegesis.

The love story is much maligned, but really very much in keeping with the tone of the prequels--it's high romance, the knight in shining armor wooing the queen. Both people are appealing, and I buy it from beginning to end. (I do note that it's mainly TPM-bashers who don't buy the romance... they seem to be missing that the groundwork was all laid in TPM, and now you have two people amazed to find that, after ten years, that old familiar friendship was right there waiting to grow.)

Excellent movie! In the spirit of the original trilogy

Author: Amit Shetty from Austin TX
23 July 2002

Finally Lucas seems to have got his touch back. Very good narration (except for the "love" portions) very cool effects, very cool places and very cool fights. And Yoda totally rules though the fight was not as long as I would have liked it to be. On the whole, the movie left me thirsting for the next installment.

Excellent!

Author: ColeSear
22 July 2002

I unlie 99.9999% of the planet have not gotten around to seeing the original series. It was something that just never caught my interest until the first Prequel came out. So I figured I might as well watch the films in chronological order.

After "The Phantom Menace" I was largely unimpressed and didn't know what all the Star Wars hype/obsession was about. Now I understand! This film was excellent and undoubtedly the biggest surprise of the year to date.

John Williams's "Love Theme" is perhaps the most beautiful piece of music he's ever composed. This film in no way parallels the first. Many doors are opened. The pacing in the first film was so slow it was painful and there was practically no information about anyone given. Here Anakin is a rounded character and the pace is unrelenting and we're constantly thinking but never bored.

This film is thoroughly enjoyable on all levels the two storylines both Obi-Wan's and Anakins are constructed beautifully and converge perfectly. This is a film I willing went back and saw two more times and I cannot wait until the third installment. The table is definitely set for many great events to take place.

Episode II, not strong with The Force

Author: jon.h.ochiai (jochiai@socal.rr.com) from Los Angeles, CA
13 June 2002

George Lucas's "Star Wars: Episode II-- Attack of the Clones" is pretty good, and a theatrical puzzle-- not necessarily in a good way. Episode II has a few things going for it: a talented cast including Ewan McGregor and Samuel L. Jackson, is a gorgeous movie to look at, and has a whole mythology which has become part of popular culture. Early on there is breath-taking "sky diving" scene in an aerial city with Jedi Padwan, Anikan Skywalker (Hayden Christensen), and his mentor, a now older Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). This is well done-- great pace, action, full of life. The movie, however soon bogs down.

George Lucas and Jonathan Hales have constructed a very wordy script that is full of content about the trade wars, the unrest in the Republic, the conspiracy against the Jedi, and a lame love story between Anikan (Christensen) and Padme (Natalie Portman). There is really no context. If the context of Episode II is to illicit pathos for Anikan's journey down the Dark Side of the Force, it fails or is a half-hearted attempt. Rather Episode II shies away from the dark nature of the legacy. There in may lie the problem-- we all know how the story will end. There is a great scene where Anikan attacks out of anger (even though justified), and later vows that he will be all powerful, because he wasn't strong enough. Following this he whines to Padme (Natalie Portman). What is going on? This does not work for the man who will eventually become the evil and merciless, Darth Vader. Hayden Christensen is a good actor and charismatic, but his lines and the part of Anikan were so inconsistent. The dialog in Episode II is horrible throughout. Anikan really comes off as some whiny punk kid, rather than someone threatening and on the verge of malevolence. After all Anikan will become Darth Vader. Once again this is not a problem with the actor, but the story.

The love story between Anikan and Padme is like "Naboo 90210". It is a given that they will be together. Obi-wan and Anikan are the Jedi assigned by the Republic to protect now Naboo Senator Padme Amidala after a failed assassination attempt on the senator. 10 years have past since they were together in Episode I. Anikan soon falls in love with Padme which is not allowed for a Jedi.

Ewan McGregor is good as the now mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi. He gives a new maturity and gravity to the character. Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu is kind of the "Shaft Jedi". He kicks some butt. There are some great action scenes in Episode II, and there could have been more. The completely CGI Yoda gets to lay the smack-down at the end, as only the Jedi Master can. This is awesome, and almost saves the movie. Almost.

I saw Episode II at a midnight showing on opening day with some dear friends-- so I am a fan. I will see it again. And I did wait a while before writing a comment. For me, although the movie looks great and has some awesome things in it, as a whole it lacks a soul. It seems like Lucas did not have the courage to give it a dark one, while providing the underlying context of Hope that we are familiar with in the stories of Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.

Episode I is forgiven...

Author: Zachary Rand (ZRand007) from New Hampshire, USA
2 May 2002

I went to the Boston premier of Episode II this morning, and I can truthfully say "wow." There is plenty of action, adventure, romance, and character development. You begin to feel hatred towards certain characters, and love some more than you did before. Some characters (one in particular) you hate even more than you did last time around.

John Williams provides a superb score, with plenty of use of familiar themes in appropriate places. The special effects are outstanding, especially with one character in particular. The level of detail is incredible.

I wish I could tell you more, but I don't want to ruin the many surprises that are in store for you! See this movie ASAP!

It's a passable installment

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
8 August 2015

Hmm I personally thought this second installment was pretty good. It isn't a amazing Star Wars installment, but I thought it was good enough. Maybe it's because of how bad the "The Phantom Menace" is. But I thought the story was passable and moved along in a mediocre manner. Sure the romantic parts seemed so forced and corny. But it has enough lightsaber action and battle sequences to make it worth the watch. The acting isn't really good but Hayden Christensen put on the most wooden performance out of the bunch. And he is suppose to be a very emotionally driven character, but he failed because of the wooden performance. Despite Anakin being a incompetent apprentice because of him being very driven by his emotions, it was understandable to a degree. So I can't take that away from the character. But I do think the future Darth Vader could have been written better and more badass. I think George Lucas picked the wrong actor to portray one of the greatest villain in movie history. Overall, this is a okay installment, sure there is plenty of ways it could have been better. But it is a passable installment.

7.2/10

An Improvement over A Phantom Menace but not too great!

Author: vishaal811 from India
25 July 2015

Attack of The Clones is thankfully an improvement over its atrocious predecessor. However, there were still a lot of problems in the script and some casting decisions.

This movie is set 10 years after the events of the previous one. Hayden Christensen plays the crucial role of Anakin Skywalker. His childish and petulant demeanor undermine the character that he is portraying. Considering the fact that Anakin Skywalker will become the omnipotent Darth Vader, I believe a better actor could have been chosen for this iconic character.

Anakin Skywalker, who has become a Jedi is assigned to protect Senator Padme (Natalie Portman). Their hardly any chemistry between the two actors and hence the attempt to portray a romance between them fails miserably.

There are a lot of unnecessary characters like Jar Jar Binks, who is a constant source of disturbance. A tighter plot would have served the movie better. John Williams is the composer and gives us a moving score.

Even though both this movie is decent, it still lacks in quality when compared to the original trilogy. I would say that this is certainly a movie that is worth your time if you don't focus too much on the minor distractions that are present throughout the movie.

Anakin's Story Continues

Author: DJ Zurn from United States
5 March 2013

Ten years after The Phantom Menace, Anakin Skywalker is the rambunctious apprentice to Obi- Wan Kenobi. The two of them confront Padme after several years as they are informed that several assassination attempts occurred trying to claim her life. As Anakin is assigned to protect Padme, the two of them are shipped off to Naboo while Obi-Wan tries to track down the ones responsible, leading him to Kamino where a massive clone army is being built. Meanwhile, Anakin continues having nightmares about his mother and heads to Tatooine to save her, meeting his step brother Owen Lars and his step father Cliegg Lars, who informs him that she was abducted by Tusken Raiders. Going to the Tusken Raider village, he talks to his mom for the first time in a long time, just before she dies, sending Anakin in a rage and causing him to massacre the entire village. At the same time, Obi-Wan is lead to Geonosis where he discovers that the wicked Count Dooku is behind the attacks on Padme's life. As Obi-Wan is captured, Anakin and Padme go to rescue him, unwillingly getting thrust into the battle droid manufacturing plant.They too are eventually captured by Dooku's enforcer, Jango Fett (Boba Fett's daddy-o) and are to be executed at the mouths of several wild Genosian creatures. Eventually, the jedi arrive and take on the incoming battle droids, then Yoda comes with the Clone Army, then Anakin and Obi-Wan take on Dooku, then Anakin gets his arm cut off, then Yoda comes in to kick Dooku's tush, then Anakin and Padme get married, then the Clone Wars begin.

If the plot of Episode II: Attack of the Clones sounds complicated, that's because it is. I think it's the most complex and befuddling of the saga, but that doesn't mean in the slightest that it is horrendous. In fact, it's a tad superior than The Phantom Menace, at least in my book. It has some of the best oohs and aahs out of the entire prequel trilogy, and seeing Yoda pull out a green saber is enough to make this film worth wild for me. As a kid, I always wanted to see him fight like a jedi, and seeing him do so in this film was like a fantasy come true. Some will argue that him using a lightsaber goes against all the wisdom he spoke of in The Empire Strikes Back, but you gotta remember that takes place many years after Attack of the Clones. Yoda's perspective has changed drastically by that point, and when he says "War does not make one great", he's talking out of experience. There are many other things in this film that fill me with glee. Seeing Obi-Wan put up a fight with Jango Fett on Kamino's rainy surface, it was one of Obi-Wan's greatest moments out of the entire saga. Seeing a feisty and ambitious young Boba Fett before he puts on the Mandalorian armor, it added so much depth to his character and made him a bit more understandable in Empire and Jedi, especially after Mace Windu's purple lightsaber meets his father Jango's neck, decapitating him. Seeing Padme in beautiful, revealing gowns, it made many of us guys drool like dogs. Anakin's one lucky dude.

Speaking of Anakin, one of the biggest complaints about Clones is that he is too whiny. Hayden Christensen gets picked on by so much by critics and members of the media for his portrayal of pre-Vader. But just stop and think for a while. Anakin is about 19-20 years old in this film. He has grown up, and is dealing with a lot of the things us teenagers deal with in real life. When we first met him in Phantom, he was an optimistic, dreaming little fellow who was looking forward to becoming a jedi. Now, 10 years have gone by, and the life of a jedi has torn him apart. He wants power, he wants to break free from the shackles the jedi have him in, he wants to do things no person has ever done before. Anakin's transformation in Clones really shows how someone can be torn apart by their dreams and want to undo everything they did in the past. Hayden Christensen really hits the nail right on the head, capturing Anakin's innocence, arrogance, and lust for unnatural abilities.

But I think that Christopher Lee's Count Dooku really steals the show and comes off as a space version of his famous Dracula character from the Hammer Horror films. I think Dooku is the most wicked out of all the Sithlords in these films, even more wicked than Vader and Maul. He just has that electrifying presence every time he enters the room and when he pulls out that curved lightsaber and shoots his lightning bolts, you can tell he's gonna do business, and that business is not going to be good. I also must praise Ewan Macgregor as Obi-Wan and Natalie Portman as Padme, for their performances have really improved since the last film and they seem to fit more into their roles in this film. And kudos to Samuel L. Jackson for kicking a lot of droid behind in the Geonosian arena with his purple lightsaber.

Although the special effects can be rubbery at times, they really look appealing and fantasy like. The effects on the clones, the digital Yoda, the Geonosians, the republic spacecrafts and gunships, they bring in a retro appeal and stick out tremendously among all the other scenery in the film. Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones may very well be the most visually appealing out of the entire saga, and when you watch this film, you instantly get sucked into the film's many environments and become part of the action and suspense.