Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Page 7 of 342: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Is Episode II worth the Star Wars name?

Author: lewiskendell from United States
27 September 2011

"I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life."

Both of the first two Star Wars prequels have substantial flaws that zealously try to ruin the un-ruinable, the mighty Star Wars franchise. In Episode I, it was the complete overkill in trying to make the movie appealing to young kids, personified by the much (and deservedly) maligned Jar Jar Binks. There's much less Jar Jar in Episode II, but its biggest flaw is almost as bad: the awful way the blossoming romance between now-Senator Padmé Amidala (Natalie Portman) and the teenage Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) is depicted.

Christensen isn't a brilliant actor in the best of circumstances, and whether he makes a suitable Anakin is up for debate. But pairing him with George Lucas's hokey attempts at writing romantic dialogue is just painful. The movie seriously drags when it focuses on the relationship between Anakin and Padmé.

But, like Episode I, Episode II somehow manages to overcome its flaws to be a decent entry into the Star Wars canon. The visuals received an impressive upgrade over the first movie (and I don't only mean Portman's increasingly sexy costumes), and there are many breathtaking action scenes and special effects sequences. The story takes the characters to new worlds and involves more mystery and intrigue than the first movie. You get to see multiple Jedi in action in large-scale battles, and who hasn't wanted to see that? Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor seem much more comfortable and natural in their roles, despite the absurdly cheesy things the script often forces Portman to say.

Is Episode II an improvement over Episode I? Yes. Is it as good as Episodes III, IV, V, and VI? Nope. Poor writing keeps Attack of the Clones from reaching its full potential.

Attack of the clichés

Author: faber-11 from South Africa
16 February 2009

I know it was my own fault that I actually bothered to watch Attack of the Clones. This film was billed as a space soap opera but I had remained foolishly optimistic that Lucas could recapture the awe and wonder of the original Star Wars (episodes 4, 5 and 6). But, alas, I was wrong. Most of the film is basically blue screen replaced by CGI at the back with no story line in front. To top it all, the cheese is spread so thick you expect them to burst into song at any moment. If there ever was an opportunity for a future Darth Vader to hum us a ditty, he had it on that hill courting the princess. To this day I've never even bothered to see episode 3. The hills are alive...

The Triumph of Technology Over Movie Making

Author: ilikeimdb from Arlington, VA USA
8 May 2003

It's all been said before...but I'll say it again. The acting by Natalie Portman and Hayden Christenen is so wooden, flat, and devoid of feeling I suspect they're the true subject of Attack of the Clones. (BTW, the bonus disk showed an impassioned speech by Ms. Portman to the Senate, but it was a deleted scene...too bad). Dazzling special effects that affect no one, lengthy scenes plodding on with senseless bloodless violence borrowed from every movie that came before it, etc. etc.

No heart, no soul, no real tension. Not even a naked love scene between Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor would have redeemed this bloated barge of ILMish clone-mongering (well, hey, this would have merited at least skipping to that chapter before tossing the DVD).

Yes; the final fight scenes do have some of that ole'time magic, but why suffer the first two hours for the last 10 minutes?

Advice from The Force: "George, you don't need to direct the next Star Wars; George, you don't need to be involved in the screen play; George, go home and take care of your kids and relax!"

Too much Special Effects

Author: John Dixon (House-3) from Greensboro, NC USA
19 May 2002

The shear amount of special effects detracts from the actual subject being filmed. After a certain point, I stopped saying "Oh that's cool" and began thinking, "OK, get on with the picture." The attire that Natalie Portman wears is also a bit too revealing. It made me think of a Sci-Fi version of Brittany Spears, enough with the abs!!!! Natalie is gorgeous from head to toe, but I think she'd be better off showing it in a another film. This film is not as good as the any of the others. I hope Episode III will raise the bar, this one did not meet my expectations.

Perseverare diabolicum

Author: Leysser León Hilario (leysser@rocketmail.com) from Lima, Peru
19 May 2002

As Seneca said "errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum" (!). I you don't believe that a director could commit the same error, nor to persist into destroying his Masterwork, then see this movie. The result? 14 viewers in the avant premiere a Perugia (a cinema with 1000 posts). What a pity!

Possibly in the top ten worst movies

Author: twobefree from Baltimore, MD
18 May 2002

I loved the first three, and somewhat liked the Phantom Menace. However, this newest movie has proven that Lucas has lost his story telling ability. Myself and 4 of my friends (all Star Wars fans) were extremely let down.

There was no plot, horrible acting, criminal dialogue, and sub par special effect for Lucas. C3PO and R2D2 stole the show as the only authentic portions of the movie. Yoda was silly, and the action scenes were not original and usually hokey. The "love" dialogue so so cheesy that the theatre was snickering through the whole movie.

The only interesting part was when "Vader" snapped and went on a violent killing spree, however, they cut the scene after 10 seconds.

In fact the directing was amateur. I might have nightmares. I am in total shock that anyone liked it. At least I cared about the characters in Episode I, all the Jedi could have died in this film and I would not have cared.

It is a complete waste of money. Go see a good movie, and check out Spider-Man.

I wish I did not have to write this.

Attack of the Baloney

Author: aj_reilly from Ireland
18 May 2002

Very disappointing. Episode 1 got a going over but I thought this was far worse. The acting was risible (Christopher Lee aside), the early scenes excruciatingly boring and the dialogue pathetic in places. Lucas spent too much time trying to set the groundwork for the 1st (or should that be 2nd?!) great trilogy that he produced a plodding mess. The early chase scene was incredulous, the romance unconvincing to say the least (could it have been any more hammy or clichéd?) and Christensen, in particular, absolutely brutal. In fairness, the "Gladiator" scene was excellent and it picked up considerably after that, but I almost had fallen asleep at that stage. And don't get me started on accents - we had a Scot doing a poncey (and fluctuating) English accent, various US & English accents and a Kiwi bounty hunter. Surely actors can act a bit and leave their parochial accents behind for a galactic extravaganza? At least McGregor tried, in going for the English accent, which appears to be the de facto accent for fine upstanding galactic citizens (go figure!). At least we saw little of that annoying Jar Jar and thats something to be thankful for. Come on George - you can do better than this. At least get a director in that can direct actors for Episode 3.

Oh My God

Author: Ethan Parker (TERRESTRIALBOY) from Lawrence, Kansas
18 May 2002

How do I put this gingerly? I'll get the good stuff out of the way first: Yoda kicked ass. Obi-Wan kicked ass.

Anyway, on to the rest. Hayden Christiansen is a terrible (and I mean loathsome) actor. He and Amidala have absolutely no chemistry together, and their romance seems to be shoved down the viewer's throat. Hayden couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Ewan MacGreggor was excellent, however, and managed to play a good Alec Guinness. Back to the abomination of Episode 2, however. The look of the film was great (visually stunning), but the story was contrived. I don't get the whole cult following of Boba Fett. This movie seems like a lot of exposition for a character that gets killed by a blind guy with a stick. I know in the books he has a bigger part, which brings me to the next problem with the whole new Star Wars thing. I want to be able to pay $7.50 to see a movie and NOT need to spend an additional $30 on merchandise like books and comics to get character development which should have been shown in the film. Let me also say that Dooku was excellent. Too bad he isn't in the movie hardly at all, and we don't know a damn thing about him -- at all. I would like to know more about the villain's history, and not the history of the heroes (we already know that from Episodes 4-6). Don't get me wrong, I liked Episode I. It actually flowed well together and had enough action to keep me occupied for two hours plus. This failed in that regard until the very end of the movie. It's too bad when a great writer like George Lucas slaps together a B-movie-like piece of schlock like this. Too bad indeed.

A true disappointment

Author: hushicho from Knoxville, TN
18 May 2002

Although the first film was highly criticized for its mascot injection of Jar-Jar (who didn't actually appear any more than the equally annoying C-3PO of the original trilogy), the second film takes another tone and another turn, attempting to further chronicle the downfall of doomed Anakin Skywalker.

Unfortunately in this brave attempt, it falls flat on its face.

Lucas's obviously lacking grasp of philosophy and the spiritual practices upon which he purports to base Jedi beliefs make this a true disaster for anyone watching who follows any of these spiritualist practices, because the assertion that these Jedi must be totally emotionless to function is not only ridiculous but also completely not borne out from the actions of the Jedi in the film!

That aside, the worst part of the film must be the truly forced, unlikely, and extremely uncomfortable "relationship" between Anakin and Amidala. To be so publicized, it's very forced and unlikely, and honestly it disturbed me a great deal and seemed quite unrealistic. Judging this by logic and knowing a good bit about relationships from experience, this one was portrayed in the worst way possible, and by two of the worst actors possible. The allure of Amidala's exotic costumes and accents from the first episode was all gone, leaving the wholly unfulfilling and wooden acting of Natalie Portman, who is at best bland, and of course the almost laughable Hayden Christensen, who does about as well as Jake Lloyd on the belching out of his overly hostile lines.

This has all of the glitz of the Star Wars saga but none of the fun or appeal. Of all the movies in the quintet that now exist, this is undoubtedly the worst. All the continuity flaws, poor acting, bad writing, and hyped-up nonsense make this the largest disappointment of the entire summer. Save your money unless you're one of the die-hard Star Wars fans, in which case Lucas could probably scrape up any old garbage on a plate and you'd think it was brilliant anyway.

A truly hideous travesty of the sci-fi genre, I wouldn't be surprised if a good many fans of this trilogy stop watching right now. I certainly won't be packing the theater for Episode III.

2 strikes

Author: AJ from United States
18 May 2002

I've never had a problem with CGI before but after watching Star Wars I feel like the movie beat me over the head with it and then shoved it down my throat. This movie is just a training exercise for CGI students. The character development? Who cares? I mean who can you actually care for in this movie? The dialogue? Horrible. Serious scenes brought tons of laughter from the crowd. And people were nearly falling out in the aisles during Anakin's bad dream sequence from laughing so hard. I guess they needed something to laugh at because this was the most boring, tedious attempt at a storyline ever.

How did the love story end up?

Anakin - "I killed not only the men but the women and children as well...I hate them all".

Padme - "OK let's get married...fa la la la la".

Lucas spent all his time and energy on a visual accomplishment and forgot that he actually had to tell an interesting story. That was not Star Wars I saw. It was Starship Troopers, 5th Element, Gladiator, and Blade Runner re-mixed with a weak Titanic love story. Lucas slapped a Star Wars label on this mess and the Star Wars fans are eating it up just like they did Phantom Menace. The action had such little payoff after that long, boring setup that came before it. The Gladiator-ish battle was just a repetitive mess of Jedi slaughtering droids over and over and over...and then some more. Yoda's duel in the end gave me goosebumps but it's over before it even gets started and 2 minutes of Yoda fighting is not worth it.

One of the great things about the original trilogy of Star Wars was the characters and story came before the effects...the effects were just there to serve the story. In Attack of the Clones the special effects ARE the story. The characters are there to say their forgettable lines and be a backdrop for Lucas's CGI show which looked more like a cartoon as the movie went on. Nothing in that arena battle looked believable. The CGI was so obvious it just took me out of the movie. And losing interest in this movie was too easy. Like I said before, I didn't care for any of the characters so there's no danger factor or excitement factor here. The only saving grace I can take from these new Star Wars movies is it just making me appreciate the original trilogy more and more for how great those movies truly are.