Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Page 6 of 352: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Attack of the Clones:An Improvement Over The Phantom Menace

Author: Desertman84 from United States
14 January 2012

The second prequel to the original Star Wars trilogy takes place ten years after the events depicted in Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace.Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones is an epic space opera film directed by George Lucas and written by Lucas and Jonathan Hales. It is the fifth film to be released in the Star Wars saga and the second in terms of the series' internal chronology.

Now 20, young Anakin Skywalker is an apprentice to respected Jedi knight Obi-Wan Kenobi. Unusually powerful in the Force, Anakin is also impatient, arrogant, and headstrong -- causing his mentor a great deal of concern. The pair are ordered to protect Padme Amidala, the former queen of the planet Naboo, now representing her world in the Galactic Senate. Someone is trying to assassinate her on the eve of a vote enabling Supreme Chancellor Palpatine to build a military force that will safeguard against a growing separatist movement led by mysterious former Jedi Count Dooku. After another attempt on Padme's life, Obi-Wan and Anakin separate. The young Jedi and Padme fall in love as he escorts her first to the security of Naboo and then to his home world of Tatooine, where the fate of his mother leads him to commit an ominous atrocity. Meanwhile, Obi-Wan travels to the secretive planet Kamino and the asteroid-ringed world of Geonosis, following bounty hunter Jango Fett and his son, Boba, who are involved in an operation to create a massive army of clones. A vicious battle ensues between the clones and Jedi on one side and Dooku's droids on the other, but who is really pulling the strings in this galactic conflict?

Clones is far from perfect, but when it clicks, it revives the old spirit that made a generation become so obsessed with all things Star Wars in the first place.While it lacks the quality of Empire's script and performances, it is the most visually enthralling of the series so far.It is certainly better than the childish Phantom Menace and the magic has definitely been recaptured.The acting was good as Christensen is a winning mix of sultry and sulky as the now older Anakin, while McGregor is finally beginning to relax as the mentor who understandably refuses to treat his moody pupil like a grown-up.But they all end up being upstaged by the jaw-dropping skills of a CGI creation: Yoda. Lucas has never been able to conjure another Han Solo, a character who could, with simply a wink, remind us that this was just an overgrown Saturday afternoon serial and worse a sort of movie we once loved and then outgrew. Although the scale of it is thrilling,it's too bad the movie is so muddled on so many different levels.But nevertheless,it was an improvement over The Phantom Menace.

Note to the Star Wars fans: George Lucas has brought the force back!!!

Author: videofreak2002 (videofreak2002@aol.com) from Walbridge, Ohio
16 May 2002

Here it is: "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones." I just went to see the first screening at midnight and here are my thoughts:

IT'S ALOT BETTER THAN "EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE!!!!" But, the only question is: Is it alot better than the originals? You damn right!!! Why? Well, here's why:

Great story, great characters/actors, great dialouges, great music (compose by long-time composer John Williams), and most of all, the biggest special effects I've ever seen! Even the sound was loud, and that's good! The love story between Padme (Natalie Portman) and Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) was better than "Titanic" and "Pearl Harbor" combined. And most of all, for all you Jar Jar Binks haters out there, he's in the movie, but, not only for a little bit.

The plot: The movie takes place 10 years after the accounts of "The Phantom Menace:" Padme Amidala is now Senator instead of Queen, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor)has a beard, Anakin Skywalker is older and now a Jedi, and alot more happens.

We get to see the debut of Jango Fett and his younger son, Bobba (who would later debut with the armor and the jetpack in "Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back." Plus, the debut of Lord Dooku (Christopher Lee). I won't give away the whole plot and the ending, but, you've never seen a "Star Wars" movie like this. Even the whole Jedi Council fight. Oh Yeah Baby! The ending reminds me of "The Empire Strikes Back." So, what I'm saying is: GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! YOU "STAR WARS" FANS WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!! I GUARANTEE IT!!!

A+ ****** (out of ****** stars) 13/13

Weakest of the bunch.

Author: FraxinusExcelsior from Sweden
6 February 2015

Disclaimer: I am 18 years old and until now I had never seen Star Wars. While most people's view on Star Wars nowadays is clouded by nostalgia, here is my unaffected take on these 'classics'. I'm watching in this order: IV - V - I - II - III - VI

I found The Phantom Menace to be quite enjoyable. This sequel feels merely like an extension of it, with similar decent humor, writing and acting. Not a bad by any means, but definitely not an improvement either.

If anything, I would actually say that Attack of the Clones is slightly worse than its predecessor. The cast feels like a downgrade. Liam Neeson and (in my opinion) surprisingly charming Jake Lloyd have left the cast and Hayden Christensen has stepped in. Christensen's Anakin Skywalker feels odd, unpredictable and quite confusing. One second he is acting like he is about to turn evil, and then the next I'm supposed to be rooting for him? Maybe that is just how his character is written, with Skywalker being of his rebellious age, but it is not appreciated in my eyes.

Also, Yoda seems a bit off. I don't know how to explain it. He was really charming in IV and V, and I hardly payed much attention to him in I. But in this movie, I've noticed that he is not as funny anymore and his knick of rephrasing sentences has really started to wear off as entertaining.

Though as mentioned earlier, in almost all other aspects, Attack of the Clones is just a 'clone' (heh) of The Phantom Menace. It is just the slightly weaker cast that drags it down by comparison.

Not a bad movie. McGregor, Portman and most of the cast still shine. So does the writing and the action. I did enjoy this movie. But out of the ones I've seen so far, (IV, V, I, II) this is the 'worst' one yet.

But being 'worst' is far from being bad in this franchise, needless to say.

Episode II is terribly flat and uninspired.

Author: Toby Danna from Hammond, LA
16 May 2002

Sigh, there are times when you yearn for the glorious victory songs of Ewoks. "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones" may have destroyed the glorious Star Wars mythology, and I am not sure whose fault this is.

The script is choppy and cheesy. While we are not privileged to see Anakin kick butt in an offscreen maniacal rampage midway through the movie, we are treated to Obi Wan in a stupid intergalactic diner (one-part Mos Eisley Catina, three-parts CGI American Graffiti), Senator Jar Jar Binks getting cheered by his alien comrades in a monumental political speech, and a three-fingered Yoda in a lightsaber duel with Christopher Lee's Count Dooku.

The dialogue is at its best times bad and at its worst times filled with cornball jokes by C-3P0 and even Obi Wan. Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman deliver a romance less convincing than a bad daytime soap teen couple, and I cannot begin to decry how terrible the usually brilliant Samuel L. Jackson was.

The introduction of Jango and Boba Fett into the film gave the audience its only interesting characters, but Lucas just let us nibble on filler instead of giving their story the meat it deserved. It seems Lucas is treating the prequels more as backstory than story, that he is more interested in showing the latest innovation in computerized special effects than forging a new saga. Sadly, the CGI eye candy does not match up to the beauty of the Holy Trilogy, nor to more recent special effects spectaculars (The Matrix, Spiderman).

Ultimately, Episode II does much worse than Episode I in captivating the imagination. The cast does not have the chemistry of Hammil, Fisher, and Ford, and Lucas is content with asserting his new and radically different vision of Star Wars in spite of the protests of the legions of fans he won over a quarter century ago.

Very disappointed. Not a lot of story here...

Author: rkurtz-1 from US
16 May 2002

I was extremely excited about seeing Episode II, especially since Lucas promised a "dark" episode reminiscent of Empire. Wow, I thought, we could really use a dark episode. Since Jedi and Phantom Menace were clearly aimed more towards children (in my opinion) rather than the original Star Wars faithful, both had warm and fuzzy endings (and in some cases, characters too). Well, "dark" wouldn't be an adjective that I would use to describe this movie at all. How about "hardly dingy" instead? I mean, the bad guys just weren't very bad. I may be mistaken, but I only remember seeing Darth Sidius in costume one time. If he did appear twice, he obviously didn't leave much of an impression on me, which only proves my point. Now come on, EVERYONE remembers all of Darth Vader's and Darth Maul's scenes, right? To me, Darth Tyranus actually comes off as a decent guy for most of the movie.

It seems that Lucas is more interested in showing off a lot of special effects rather than telling a compelling story. There just wasn't much material in the script for the actors to be passionate or excited about. Kenobi has a nice civilized conversation with Jango Fett. Anakin has a calm chat with Palpatine. Kenobi has an even keeled conversation with Tyranus. Where's the passion and hate? Where's the fire? Where's the dark side George? Since we all know how it's going to ultimately end, I was really expecting some heated emotions in this movie. You know, Anakin's struggle and all? I didn't feel a lot of that at all.

As an aside, I really noticed a lot of dull filler scenes. Is it really necessary to show everyone getting on and off transport ships? I, for one, am willing to make a leap of faith here and take for granted that characters in this universe can get from point A to point B. If you see them in the next scene on a different planet, I guess they made it. Right? Picture this: The ship pulls up, picks up the passengers and takes off. It then lands, and the passengers get off. Sound exciting to you? If the movie was cut back about 10-15 minutes, I think it would have helped to pick up the overall pace and flow of things.

Overall, I think I was disappointed mainly because my expectations were so high. Hopefully, I just lowered yours and you can enjoy the movie for what it is, rather than for what it is not.

"Well...it was better than Phantom Menace..."

Author: paulo20 from NYC
8 July 2002

That's pretty much the general sentiment about the Episode II, but I would have to disagree because that would imply that The Phantom Menace was any good. A better assessment might be that Attack of the Clone was no worse. It's basically a bunch of long drawn out sequences involving indiscernible politics (except, perhaps, to the fanatics) and a painfully forced romance, plus another annoying scene involving a fat, four-armed alien in a diner, punctuated by a string of action sequences that just barely save this film from being a total waste of $9.25.

But one other thing that kind of spoils Star Wars for me is that Boba Fett is given an origin. I don't know about anyone else but I thought the one thing that was cool about Fett was that he was just this bounty hunter sent by Jabba the Hutt to capture Han Solo. Period. He didn't seem to have to do anything with the Jedi; he only entered the picture because of Solo. He was a character that seemed to exist apart from the whole Jedi storyline and simply was doing a job for a powerful gangster. That made the Star Wars mythos richer for me, the idea that the Jedi storyline wasn't the only thing going on in the universe. Now ATotC has gone and entwined his story with that of the Jedi and it suddenly all seems less plausible. Now, presumably, Boba Fett will exact his revenge by killing some Jedi or some such but then what? In eps IV-VI, we see him as *just* a bounty hunter and, considering the import attached to him in ep II, his death in ep VI (falling into a living pit) comes across as anti-climactic. Just my impression...

A 140 minute computer game.

Author: Wobler from Iceland
14 June 2002

Like so many others I hoped and prayed that Episode 2 would turn out to be an improvement over the awful Episode 1 "The Phantom Menace" but it turned out to be just as bad. About an hour into the movie I was already looking at my watch, hardly believing what I was seeing.

As it was with The Phantom Menace, there were no interesting characters to speak of and those that did show promise were never given the chance to truly shine, and a movie where you don't care what happens to the characters can never be very exciting.

So much of the movie was in C.G.I that it left me wondering why they bothered to have live actors in it, but as with The Phantom Menace, the Special effects are the star and apparently the only thing that mattered to the film makers, since the storytelling is this bad. Too many action sequences seemed to be just thrown in because they might look good in a computer game (which I'm sure will be coming out) and far too many stupid one-liners which had me shaking my head, thinking "My God, Star Wars has been turned into an Austin Powers movie" .... Silly one-liners work for Austin Powers but NOT for Star Wars.

Still, it should have been possible for George Lucas to make an entertaining movie using just special effects and a lot of brainless action, but no, he could not even manage that. A screenplay without characters to care for, and even though the story (as we all know from Episodes IV-VI) is a good one, the screenplay is just TOO awful to make an entertaining 143 minute movie with the first hour being mainly an unbelievable love story.

This movie, as stated before, is about two and a half hours long, but it feels a lot longer, and it left me with the feeling that I had been watching somebody playing a computer game for two and a half hours.

Unbelievably this movie was worse than a waste of money, it was a waste of time, and I for one will not be wasting time or money on Episode III, no matter how much I love Episodes IV-VI.

Total loss

Author: wellesorson from Atlanta, GA
12 May 2003

George Lucas is a sellout. This "film" completely lacks the love, care, and imagination that went into episodes 4,5,6. The sad thing is, after seeing the wretched episodes 1 and 2, I will still go see episode 3 when it comes out, even though I'm sure it will suck. It is a testament to how good episodes 4,5,6 were that I (and I am not alone with this sentiment) will purposely go see a bad movie in the future. George Lucas' career embodies what is great about movies and what is wrong with movies at the same time.

A plotless simple glimpse of some unimportant point in time

Author: Dan
6 December 2002

Am I mistaken or was Hayden Christensen just playing the same character fomr Life as a House? A rebellious son, independent and who doesn't need the help of anyone?

The film had no blatant plot. It appeared they rolled the dice and by chance this year of Star Wars history faced up. So they just cut at on end then the other coming up with a film that more a glimpse than anything with a story. It felt like a day in the life of type story. Just arrive film and leave. No reason or event to be there.

This then presents some issues. Episode III must be very long or the opening very long because we have only one film left for Anakin to change and become evil, reach high power, and appear as Darth Vader. Also he must marry the Queen have 2 kids and what were they thinking making Episode 3 so void of anything except (SPOILER) Jengos death.

A few action sequences that got the ticker pumpin' but yoda with a sabre was more funny than exciting. The corny: dialogue, avenge my mamma, romance and all other plot points ruined the film, embarrased the series. I am glad I am not a fan of the series its bad enough Im a religious follower of the Bond Tradition when something like DAD opens.

Great Big Steaming Pile of Dooku

Author: Todd of the Greater Mid-Atlantic Metropolitan Region
2 June 2002

Can you follow moving objects with your eyes? If that's all it takes to thrill you, then watching "Attack of the Clones" may well be the most titillating experience of your life! The barrage of mobile things on the screen just doesn't cease. There's even something here for the audio buffs...plenty of those signature rumbling ships, whizzing lasers, and humming lightsabers. Pair up those noises with the visuals, and you have a summer blockbuster!

George Lucas is back, all right...with the second worthless Star Wars movie in a row. I can't understand the ridiculously effusive praise that the majority of reviewers here seem to be heaping upon this stinker. I can only hope that most of the people who hated it felt no inclination to review it at all. I especially love the masterminds who proclaim, "If you don't like it, don't go see it." Yeah, thanks. So we're supposed to walk into the theater with a pre-formed positive opinion? Morons!

If I plunk down $10 for a widget that I soon discover doesn't work, am I not entitled to get a refund or at least a replacement? Of course! Warranties and the Better Business Bureau were created for precisely this purpose! Well, I paid money to see Episode II, and I was extremely disappointed. So why is it that I'm somehow not entitled to criticize Lucas?

George Lucas is just plain lazy...a lazy director and a lazy storyteller. And audiences are lazy for letting him off the hook so easily. Incidentally, Lucas himself deserves absolutely no credit for the "incredible" CGI. His studio paid other people to do that. You will probably never know their names. And I'm positive that Lucas is profiting far more from this venture than all of them combined.

Look, Lucas has countless millions at his disposal. He damn well should shoot for an Oscar-caliber film! Or maybe he's just too afraid of the challenge, so he rests on his laurels and hides behind the brand-name of this movie franchise. And when the critics come out of the woodwork, he can babble on about how it's "not supposed to be great filmmaking" or some other lame excuse. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

A few others here have panned the lifeless acting, glaring plot inconsistencies, and general lack of true Star Wars atmosphere more eloquently than I could, so feel free to comb through the effluvium of laudation below to find the few precious gems of honest criticism.

Never mind the absurd Yoda fight scene, which will only appeal to those who can't let well enough alone and who demand that every movie character be proficient in some martial art. Why, why, why must every big budget sci-fi or action movie nowadays give a nod to "The Matrix"? Can't Yoda just remain a gentle, wizened teacher?

The only thing I really liked about this movie was the Tusken Raider encampment. It wasn't overdone or garish, just very Star-Wars-ian. Of course, it was quickly ruined by Schmi's hilarious death scene. In reference to Anakin, a little boy sitting behind me in the theater said, without a trace of irony, "What's he so sad about?" From the mouths of babes!