Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Page 3 of 352: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

An emotionally complex and visually stunning film.

Author: kentacarter from Philadelphia, PA
26 May 2002

Unfortunately, I had ruined this movie for myself long before seeing it. Bored one summer, I started looking up a lot of "spoiler" information. Thus, I was worried that regardless of how of the film was, I would not be very impressed simply because it would be nothing surprising... ...but whoa, was I so unmistakably wrong! I have never been left speechless by a film, ever. In fact, I figured that people saying that were simply being dramatic. However, I was, in fact, speechless for about 20 minutes after leaving the theatre. George Lucas has truly outdone himself.

Attack of the Clones is the most emotionally complex Star Wars film Lucas has made. Its tone is not simply good vs. evil, like episodes IV-VI. Instead, it is good people and a good government becoming evil. Of course, this is embodied by the central figure in these films, Anakin Skywalker, played by Hayden Christensen, who, though somewhat awkward at times, gives an overall good performance (he's brilliant in Anakin's break-down scene). Natalie Portman returns with a solid performance, and the love story between Anakin and Padme is, for the most part, charming. The dialogue becomes a bit too much in one scene, but hey who's the more foolish: the screenwriter, or the person who goes to a Star Wars film expecting anything less than corny dialogue? Ewan McGregor, delivering the best performance in the film, is superb as Obi-Wan Kenobi! He is the consummate Jedi, the serious, straight-arrow center of the film. However, what makes the performance so excellent is the manner in which, through this stern exterior, he can be so perfectly comical. Most of the laughs in the film come from his witty one-liners.

This film sports a strong supporting cast. The two Sith lords, Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) and Count Dooku (Christopher Lee) provide much of the film's intrigue. These two are the puppet masters behind all the events of the film, with Palpatine serving as the supreme mastermind, as he did in Phantom Menace. However, the interesting nuance in Clones is that we see these two Sith lords attempting to betray each other! If any film demonstrates that being on the Dark Side is an uncomfortable position, it is this one. In Palpatine's scene with Anakin, and Obi-Wan's scene with Dooku, we see each of them attempting to find a new ally, each hoping that, though in league with the other at the time, he will eventually overthrow him. It is this brand of intrigue that makes this film, and the prequel trilogy in general, a richer, more fascinating story line.

Yoda (Frank Oz) and Mace Windu (Samuel L. Jackson) lead the Jedi entourage. They emerge as the generals in the film, the heroes who save the day. Jackson lends his usual "coolness" to Windu, making his action scenes all the more enjoyable. But Yoda is the real showstopper. We've loved Yoda since Empire Strikes Back, but in this film, he's in his prime. He is stern yet funny, as lovable as ever. He steals the show, though, as Yoda the action hero. His light saber battle, the film's climax, will have you cheering, a brilliant achievement of which Industrial Light & Magic should be proud.

Another notable aspect of this film is that Lucas seems to have become much more creative as a director. His visuals in this film, especially the rain planet Kamino, are beautiful as always, but it's his camera-work that is noticeable different in this film. As Steven Spielberg noted, Lucas does his best directing in this one. He captures the proper emotions of each scene, each close-up occurring at just the right time. Most interesting, though, is Lucas's "artsy" camera-work, which shines a bit in this film. There's an interesting scene in which he plays with the shadows of Anakin and Padme on Tatooine. Another scene between the two, a romantic shot of them silhouetted while moving into a sun-drenched arena to which the camera pans, is fairly breathtaking (thanks in part as well to the swell in John Williams's love theme). My favorite of these scenes, though, is the light saber battle between Anakin and Dooku. It's unlike any light saber battle ever seen in a Star Wars film. The two characters appear to be blending into one another, their faces illuminated by only by their light saber blades, the blue and red flashing across each of their faces. Perhaps this is George's way of linking these two characters, the Jedi fallen to the Dark Side (Dooku) and the one who will soon take his place (Anakin). Brilliant moment, brilliant.

Thus, my hat's off to Lucas and company for this film. I love the others, all of them, but this one truly stands out. It is massive, emotionally and visually, and altogether satisfying.

Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones - EMC's Review

Author: EpicMovieComps from Australia
7 March 2015

Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones is the eagerly anticipated sequel to Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. After three years since the original let-down, we find out that this one won't include Jar Jar Binks as a central character, or won't have an irritating ten year old who'll play Anakin Skywalker, we even see a glimpse of what could be everyone's favorite bounty hunter, Boba Fett! We all reassure ourselves that Star Wars would get better now, and stay true to that classic style we all cherished. But the same thing with The Phantom Menace occurred again, most fans didn't like the movie for reasons we'll explain throughout this review. This movie, like The Phantom Menace suffers from a bad script, though not as bad as The Phantom Menace's. Firstly the dialog between Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker in the elevator scene at the start of the film. It's a nice little bit where the two exchange words about their previous adventures together and show a friendship. Though we as an audience don't know what they're talking about because we haven't seen those adventures. George Lucas can't just simply explain to us that in that one minute scene that they're friends, you have to show it in the actual movie, like they did with the Lethal Weapon franchise. Like when Martin Riggs reminds Roger about the time he was stuck to a toilet in case a bomb went off in part 2, the two smile remembering that bizarre moment and we as an audience remember it too, relating to the friendship. Here the script takes one short scene in an elevator to tell us that the two are friends because... They were meant to be good friends according to Obi Wan's story to Luke in Episode IV. Then for the rest of the movie they do there own separate things showing concentration in the wrong area. Obi Wan's off finding this Clone Army on the planet Kamino and Anakin's on Naboo protecting Padme from an assassination. Now people criticize the film for Anakin's (Hayden Christensen's) acting performance in the film, but this is a false claim. The actor does very well if the right script is given to him, the bad acting is a result of poor direction by George Lucas. For some reason the love story dialog between Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) and Anakin is so horrible because... Of the way Hayden Christensen says the lines!? Almost every character in this movie has to say stupid lines too, why does all the critique come down upon Hayden!? Although Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan makes his lines sound much better, seeing that he is in fact a better actor. Now another reason why everyone dislikes this movie is in fact for the love story, they say it's awkward and forced but we say it's beautiful though very clichéd. There really is no problem with the love story other than it's clichéd as hell, and that great John Williams score doesn't help either! But with all the beautiful backdrops and locations, who cares, we think it's perfect how Anakin and Padme fall in love. The movie also uses too much CGI, but it makes for some thrilling action scenes, this movie has he best actions scenes out of the whole entire saga. It's got the Bounty Hunter chase through Coruscant, Obi Wan VS Jango Fett, the Jedi Battlle in that arena, the beginning of the Clone Wars, and Yoda's epic light saber duel. Although Yoda having a light saber totally clashes with everything he stands for in Episode V, it's still pretty cool to see him whipping out and wielding his very own light saber. Then Jango Fett, the father of Boba is also a very cool addition to the Star Wars Saga, we maybe even prefer him to Boba, just for his awesome battle with Mace Windu on Geonosis. It is also interesting to see Chancellor Palpatine take his first step into becoming the Emperor in one of the ending scenes, as he controls the Clone Army. Another great thing about the film is Anthony Daniels as C-3PO, back in his old comic self again. But another major flaw is the brief relationship between Anakin and Owen Lars. At the end of Revenge of the Sith he receives the child of his stepbrother (Anakin) from a guy he didn't even know (Obi Wan). Anyway, comparing these positives, Attack of the Clones is a thrilling space adventure film featuring new awesome planets we love like Kamino and Geonosis. It pushes the action to new heights, and is our personal favorite of the saga, making it number one. Though for some reason George Lucas writes Anakin as a bad apple. Anakin is not much like Luke Skywalker at all, for he is not totally being a good guy in this film, this is seen after his mothers death when he mindlessly slaughters countless Tusken Raiders. And when he attempts to run at the movies' villain with a light saber with hate and anger! Though there are some scenes where he's kind-hearted, most of it is just him being arrogant, but this doesn't really bother us. Another great thing about the film is Count Dooku, he makes the film very enjoyable but the slightly UN-EVEN pacing of the film makes him enter a full hour in! Episode II is an epic story that goes in depth at the look of how the death of Anakin's mother will influence his fall to the dark side and how his love for Padme will cross a forbidden Jedi rule. The only thing wrong with this film, that bugs us enough to point out is the relationship between Obi Wan and Anakin, which should have been expanded. Nonetheless Episode II is the strongest of the saga but suffers from an onslaught of under-ration by fans just because of a few reasons they that can't even explain...

An unconvincing and at times painful love story drags down an otherwise decent movie

Author: bh_tafe3 from Australia
2 March 2015

Well, Obi-wan Jedi mindtricks a drug dealer into reforming, we find out Bobba Fett's father is the prototype for the Imperial Clones, Jar Jar Binks destroys democracy and Anakin and Padme get it on in this good, but somewhat ham fisted, second Star Wars film.

Not a lot happens at all in this, but what does happen can be broken up into two categories: Stuff that works pretty well and Anakin and Padme's romance. I really like Hayden Christenson. I think he's a decent actor, rather unfairly blamed in this film for giving the performance his director asked for. And Anakin is painful in this one. from his misplaced arrogance towards Obi-wan to his cringe worthy attempts to get Padme into bed, and Natalie Portman isn't much better. Padme has been established as a strong character, and in this one we need to start believing that she is Leia's mother, but for 75% of this she is flirting with Anakin and then shutting it down, flirting with Anakin and shutting it down. Repeat cycle. It's left to Ewan McGregor, as Obi wan to carry the story, and he does an awesome job. If there's one actor who looks completely at home in the prequel trilogy, it's McGregor. Obi-wan is the one left to discover the clone planet and then track Jango Fett.

It's in the last act, with their love established, that Anakin and Padme come to the party and start being interesting. We can finally see some of Leia in Padme as she takes over the situation and runs headlong into battle. Anakin in the meantime has continued his journey towards the dark side by slaughtering a tribe of sand people. And we can see a bit of Luke in Anakin as well. And not just the annoying whining. He's basically being faced with the same choices as Luke in the original trilogy and either making the opposite decisions to Luke (getting involved in a romance, slaughtering a tribe out of vengeance) or making the same bad decisions (running off here with Padme is as bad as Luke running off to Cloud City in Empire), so Lucas isn't doing it well, but he is establishing some sort of parallel path between the parents and their children.

Anyway Windu and Yoda get to kick some ass, and Christopher Lee gets to run around as Palpatine's apprentice and act like an Evil Sith, which looks like a lot of fun for him, while Palpatine manipulates Jar Jar into giving him executive powers (Senator Amidala showed very questionable judgment by making Jar Jar her replacement, and here he is, destroying democracy). This is kind of clever as it turns the much maligned Binks into a tragic character, but it isn't that clever.

We end with Anakin and Padme having a forbidden marriage and the clones flying off into the stars in early versions of star destroyers. The Republic is taking shape and the Jedis, while knowing there is a fight coming, are oblivious to Palpatine's duplicity.

You can see what Lucas was trying to do here, and he's made a good movie, albeit with a painful love story and some disgraceful dialogue. Attack of the clones is not a bad film, just one that could have been far better. At least Lucas now had all the characters where he wanted them for Part 3, which was a film so good, it completely justified the prequel trilogy.

Many watches, and many loves!

Author: Janosz_The_Amaze from To be location of me!!!
28 February 2004

Greetings again, all persons! you are wishing for to read of the stars wars: attacking of clones, yes? Much did i enjoy such! The specials affects are cold, and action leaves the you not in wanting!! also are you to lust for the Padmen, who is firm and much of the beauty!

How ever, the acts of one called And Akin are much like of the trees, no?? Stiff and not to move! His word are was weak, and to cause much mirth!! Watch for great the fight of Count Dookdu and Gango Fett, it is of small stature!

But still, I am thinking for to give this film three distant suns of four distant suns!!

Outstanding technically but emotionally distant

Author: antonjsw1 from United Kingdom
8 January 2011

While a very accomplished film technically, the film suffers from some inconsistent performances from the lead actors leading to a lack of audience involvement with the characters.

The story is set ten years after the events in Episode 1, and this affords Lucas the opportunity to make some changes to the characters. Anakin is now 19-20 years old, and he is now a 'rebelling against authority' type character. While in itself not a problem, the decision , for relative newcomer Hayden Christensen to play him as bratty is wrong and leads to the character coming across as unsympathetic , bland, and annoying. Also it seems that Christensen cannot seem to get a clear view of the character's trajectory within the story. As a result, his performance is uneven. In some scenes he is fine (primarily on the scenes set on Tatooine), but his performance seems unsubtle and broad,particularly when in more intimate romantic scenes with Natalie Portman. The decision for the Padme character to play a senator is a much better one, and in that regard Portman's performance is much better this time around and draws an appropriate parallel with Carrie Fisher from the original trilogy. She comes off the much stronger of the two performances when up against Christensen. Unfortunately she is saddled with having to act in a very formal and constrained way, with overtly theatrical and clichéd dialogue that is similar to that of films from the 1930s and 1940s, though in some scenes Portman is clearly trying to bring a more natural take to her character. The decision to move away from the naturalistic acting style on the original trilogy was, in my view a major mistake and alienates an older audience from getting emotionally and viscerally involved in the film. Ewan McGregor's performance this time is less constrained than Episode I, and his character is more central to the story. While not as charismatic as Neeson's performance in Episode 1 it is nevertheless solid. Samuel Jackson has fun effectively playing Jedi Master Samuel Jackson, in a more important and involving role. Temuera Morrison is actually pretty good in a small part as bounty hunter Jango Fett. However, the most impressive human performances are of in two supporting roles, with veteran actor Christopher Lee as Count Dooku, and Australian actor Jack Thompson as Cliegg Lars.

It is a relief that Jar Jar Binks character is very much in the background, albeit some of his bungling antics seem to have been transferred to C3P0. Like episode 1, the best performances are digital characters. Andy Secombe is great as Watto again, albeit in a smaller role. However the best performance overall, is Frank Oz , in collaboration with Rob Coleman's ILM animation team in recreating Yoda, now as an entirely digital character. The character is well embedded in the story. His anxiety of what is happening to the galaxy around him is conveyed well, as is the character's growing frustration with not being able to accurate assess who or what is behind the collapsing of the republic. His character's insight in the heat of battle makes him part of the films exciting climax, and a confrontation with Count Dooku, while thrilling, is far too brief. If there is a flaw, is that Yoda looks a bit cartoony at the beginning of the film, though his character seems to become more photo-realistic as the story goes along.

In fact, while the visual effects are generally excellent, lead by Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow, there are nevertheless some problems. The digital work in some scenes in my view, goes too far, with sets and whole environments created in the computer when a better balance of live action, models, well designed sets and real locations work best. Not surprisingly, some of the Naboo scenes in this film work better because of the balance between real locations (shot in Australia & Italy) and, as per Episode 1, the segment of the film set on Tatooine (shot in Tunisia), while shorter this time around feels more involving because the high quality visual fx, meshing with real locations feels stronger. Interestingly, this part of the story is well written and underpinned by the excellent supporting performances already mentioned, as well as being Christensen's strongest part of the film. Geonosis while impressive in parts, does feel too much like an animation in places. The feeling is that the film was being used more as a testing of new technology, with filming shot on digital cameras, and Lucas wanting to push the visual effects as far as they can go, rather than trying to optimise the visual effects as part of the overall storytelling experience.

As in keeping with the Star Wars films, sound design and effects are excellent, led by veteran Lucas collaborator Ben Burtt. Burtt also served as film editor, working with Lucas. While some of the action sequences are well edited, most of the dialogue sequences, and some other action sequences feel pedestrian and un-involving and the pace of the film in these sequences, sadly and unexpectedly for a Star Wars film really drags.

Production design by Gavin Bouquet is excellent, even if the actual building of the sets is in a computer. As usual John Williams score is first rate, but this time is unable to fully distract or carry you through the slower and uninvolving sequences of the film. Overall, apart from some excellent individual sequences, such as Tatooine and a series of action sequences towards the end of the film, the film makes viewer feel distant and uninvolved in the proceedings, despite some clever plotting, impressive visual fx and entertaining set pieces.

Clearly the least impressive of the six films.

Even better

Author: sgtking from United States
28 August 2010

Filmmakers like Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have never seemed to grow tired of talking about the films they're most known for. In Lucas's case that is of course the 'Star Wars' series, which seemed to be completed back in 1983 with 'Return of the Jedi,' but being Episode VI in a trilogy it seems only natural to assume that some day the first three would be made. But after the final installments of that series and Spielberg's 'Indiana Jones' trilogy in the 80s both went on to different things and for good reason, but still would talk about them with great fondness. These two love making films and so it's common sense that they'd want to not run their franchises into the ground with sequel after sequel. But eventually Lucas would return to the series in 1999 and that proved to be a gigantic success. Three years later the story continued and the stakes got higher for the characters. The darkness found in the later Episodes really starts here, but what of the film itself?

Pros: Cast does a bang up job. John Williams composes another great score. Impressive production design. Picturesque scenery. Well-paced. Even better written than it's predecessor. Grand visual, make-up, and creature effects work. More awesome new sites and creatures. More suspenseful and dark than the original. Some really exciting and tense sequences.

Cons: Seems a little overlong and does drag in spots, but briefly.

Final thoughts: 'The Phantom Menace' was a great start for the new trilogy and this next part turned out even better. The makers of the film certainly knew what people love about these films when making this one. So many times sequels end up paling in comparison, but the opposite occurred here.

My rating: 5/5

Lightsabers! Robots! Spaceships! Aliens! Bounty Hunters! Etc! Yes, it's Star Wars.

Author: lonefoxandcub from United Kingdom
31 January 2005

Stick a lightsaber in a movie and I'm happy. Seriously. Not a biased review whatsoever. 10 years after the battle of Naboo (in The Phantom Menace) Anakin has grown into a talented Jedi, though very reckless. He also has all the traits teenagers have- moody, irresponsible, fancies the pretty senator... that kind of thing. Obi Wan's becoming increasingly concerned over his Padawans behaviour, while the Jedi Council struggle to keep the peace as the galaxy appears to be on the brink of war. Amidala, former Queen of Naboo and now senator, is placed under protection of the Jedi after an assassination attempt- unfortunately her 'Jedi bodyguard' can't necessarily be trusted...

Boo hoo if you want to moan about prequels, Ewoks, Jar Jar, Anakins ghost, directors re- edited special ultimate redux DVD editions, whatever. Star Wars rocks. Fact. The film hardly lets up pace from the chase through Coruscant to Obi Wan's Raymond Chandler-esquire investigation into the development of a clone army (the precursor to the Stormtroopers of the original trilogy) to the finale when war is declared and just about the biggest Jedi showdown ever (so far). And I won't even mention what happens when you mess with Anakins mother...

Classic tale of good versus evil, jaw dropping special effects, plenty of that'll-tie-in-to- Episode-IV-nicely moments...

And you think Episode II was good? Vader's back in the next one!

Episode II – Attack of the Clones - Exhilarating!

Author: Steve Ellesmore from Birmingham, England
16 May 2004

After what many perceived to be a weak entry in the prequel trilogy of the star wars movies with regards to TPM. Lucas still 'did his own thing' and produced one of the most breathtaking, exhilarating and fantastic star wars films to date. In this film we have already established characters thrust upon the cinema screen once again. The opening scroll is simpler than in TPM, it doesn't require us to think, it just puts us into the right frame of mind to pick up the story. As soon as we see a ship gliding through the foggy clouds we see straight away that something is amiss in the republic. The bright and breezy republic in the previous film seems to be bathed in fog. Difficult to see the dark side is. Lucas said these are silent movies and the visuals tell their own story and it happens a lot in this film, like the Darth Vader silhouette that had no digital tinkering whatsoever . The footage of Anakin with his robes on was basically a mirror image of darth vader but without the helmet. The footage of Padme next to him was strikingly reminiscent of Emperor Palpatine in Return of the Jedi. Absolutely everything in this movie is intriguing, Obi-Wan Kenobi investigates a clone facility on the planet of Kamino. A mysterious Sifo Dyas placed an order for the Clone army based on a template of a Bounty Hunter called Jango Fett. Jango Fett states he was employed by a man called Darth Tryannus. We find a former Jedi, Count Dooku knows all about the corruption in the senate, even if the Jedi arnt yet aware and plans to do something about it. Secretly creating a new order with the goal to build an army powerful enough to fight the Republics army. A republic army which was mysteriously started at the Clone facility even though the Jedi Council were not aware! Confused? No…intrigued? Most definitely. Anakin Skywalker also gets given a sole mission on his own. Its here that the much vaunted love story begins. To be honest, it's a bit choppy and seems rushed. Its not a smooth romance like in The Empire Strikes Back, instead it's a romance which reeks of desperation, as if the characters themselves know about their impending doom and they just want to be as one before the inevitable happens. The deleted scenes on the DVD really should have been implemented within the film. They are gold, with regards to character motivations and shows little glimpses of their affection to each other. Would have made the final, declaration of love scene less jarring. In fact, would have been completely smooth and believable. The final showpiece in this film is the Clone Wars, they begin on a planet called Geonosis and this is where the film gives us a scene so wonderful it just keeps on piling the cherry's on top of the cake. A superb full scale war better than anything in any star wars movie happens, its absolute mayhem and its absolutely brilliant. But it doesent end there, we have not one lightsaber fight, not two, but three. With the third being one of the most memorable of all time. Also, a plot point that culminated in A New Hope makes its entrance here and it left me absolutely gob smacked Basically, this film is everything you would want in a star wars movie. Is it the best star wars film out there? Quite possible, difficult to call. Had George Lucas just gone with the flow and put in the Padme/Anakin deleted scenes plus toned down the over bearing nature of Anakin in the fireplace scene (after reading an earlier draft there's some vocal foreplay at the beginning that would have been great to have in the final movie) then this would have been the best Star Wars film without a doubt. We see intrigue, we see action and we see the galaxy begin to rot away in a very obvious way. The beginning of the end.

Four Stars out of Five.

Begun this clone war has...

Author: twinkler (tobi@misfitsofscience.de) from Germany
12 May 2002

Whatever you thought about Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace, whatever you disliked about Jar Jar Binks or the little child Anakin had been in the first part of this spectacular space saga, forget you must about all your concerns! I had the possibility to watch Episode II this night at about 1:00 o'clock in the city of Munich/Germany at a charity preview screening! What I saw some 13 hours ago is the movie of the movies, the movie every true fan and every moviegoer has waited for! This time director George Lucas managed to deliver a fine performance in directing, storytelling and visualization of the great events that take place in this 2 hours 22 minutes thrill-ride I'd like to call the second best Star Wars movie of all time which means that this is the second best movie of all time (after the original Episode IV - but, hey, I've only seen it one time until now so things could hint at a No. 1 spot in my personal list!). The movie's atmosphere is far more darker than that of Episode I and I think that Episode II is even darker than Episode V. The galaxy's in a real turmoil, because of the separatists that want to leave the Republic. The story has a wonderful pace I'd like to compare with Episode IV. There's not a single second one feels bored or one feels strange about anything. All the different subplots are developed perfectly and find their climax in a gigantic battle in the end of the movie. The actors all deliver excellent performances. Especially Hayden Christensen's performance marks the perfect portrayal of the later Darth Vader. You can really feel his inner battle with the dark side. He is a good person with a good heart, but certain things make him turn. In Episode II, during one of the highlights of the movie, Anakin is confronted with his first dark actions. It will take your breath away, I promise you! Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor do a great job and keep up the fine pace of the movie. McGregor gets to do a lot this time and some of his quotations will be remembered! The hidden star of the movie, now one can deny that, is Yoda. Yes, you heard it right, Yoda. The Jedi-Master shows the audience why he is the greatest Jedi of all time and also proves that the advance of digital animation can't be stopped...... The Special Effects are totally exciting, excellent and brilliant, but they never stand above the story, no, they drive the story forward and underline all the aspects of the movie. The CG-characters in this movie look so realistic (especially Yoda) that you just won't believe it. Compared with Spider-Man (a very good movie, too!) where the animated Spider-Man can be recognized during a lot of scenes as an animation Episode II's CG-characters interact perfectly with the real actors. And talking about technical aspects...... I didn't see any hint that the pictures were entirely shot digitally! The picture looks brilliant, colourful and very rich! The sound effects are superb and John Williams' score perfectly underlines this motion picture experience! What else to say than well, I already have my tickets for the midnight premiere on Wednesday/Thursday and I'll again enjoy a hell of thrill-ride watching this movie that tells us a story of good versus evil from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... May the force be with you! Always!

A definite improvement over "The Phantom Menace" but still not up to the level of the original trilogy

Author: sme_no_densetsu from Canada
18 December 2015

Episode II of the Star Wars saga, "Attack of the Clones" had the misfortune of following the poorly received first instalment. The good news is that it corrected most of the problems that plagued the first movie. While still not in the same league as the original trilogy, it was nevertheless a step in the right direction.

Several cast members from the first movie returned and, thankfully, stars Ewan McGregor & Natalie Portman fared much better this time around. Additionally, Christopher Lee provided a strong villainous presence that was sorely lacking from the first movie. Hayden Christensen stepped into the role of Anakin Skywalker and he at least did better than Jake Lloyd, though that's a case of damning with faint praise. Admittedly, though, his character wasn't written especially well, so it wasn't all his fault.

Speaking of writing, this time around George Lucas had the good sense to work with someone else on the screenplay. While the dialogue is still a bit stilted at times, the improvement is noticeable. Lucas also occupied the director's chair once again, with satisfactory results.

From a technical standpoint, the movie is highly accomplished, even though some of the profuse CGI is overly ambitious. In any case, the visual effects ended up being the source of the film's sole Oscar nomination. As usual, John Williams's score was also a highlight.

However, perhaps the most important difference this time around is that story is much more engaging as it really begins to set the stage for Anakin's inevitable transformation into Darth Vader. The movie's romantic elements may be awkward at times but, overall, the script does a pretty good job of balancing action and laying the foundation for the events to come.

Ultimately, I think that "Attack of the Clones" is underrated. It does have some problems but it managed to set the trilogy back on the right track. Thankfully, the concluding chapter would continue this upward trend.