Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Page 11 of 345: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Boring and Bad

Author: (pksoze22@hotmail.com) from New Jersey
10 December 2002

Unless you're a diehard Star Wars fan don't waste your time. The movie is nice to look at. But the acting is wooden and stale. And things just happen to characters that one really has no emotional attachment to. This may be mediocre as a Star Wars movie but as a regular movie its barely tolerable.

Star Bores Episode II-Attack of the Yawns!

Author: Robert (robert@rmcelwaine.fsnet.co.uk) from Clydebank, Scotland
25 March 2003

* Terrible * * Below Par * * * Not Bad * * * * Good * * * * * Brilliant

Last year did not see many, if not any really good summer blockbuster movies. The usual clutch of commercial popcorn movies were hurled at us from those big wigs at Hollywood and one that stuck in my mind was this effort. Not because it was the best. Oh, no. Because it was undeniably in my opinion the biggest load of garbage since 'The Phantom Menace' three years previously.

Over the years George Lucas has released wave upon wave of movie as a producer that was not as big as the good yet over rated star wars movies(Apart from the Indiana Jones movies). The 1986 effort of Howard: A New breed of Hero was a huge turkey of a movie that flopped big time at the box office. The fantasy adventure movie he produced which Ron Howard directed, called 'Willow' with Val Kilmer was a better effort but also failed to bring in the audiences.

So why people went to see this drivel is any one's guess.Personally I believe they were hoping for an improvement. Don't get me wrong. I was one of them. Having seen both trailers for Episode II for free(I work in a cinema)I was quite hopeful from the look of them. Boy, was I wrong.

This segment in the Star Wars saga concerns the young Anakin Skywalker (Played here by new comer Hayden Christiensen). No longer the little boy we saw in Episode I: The Phantom menace, but a nineteen year old Padawan apprentice to now, Master Jedi Obi-Wan-Kenobi(Ewan MacGregor reprising the roll).

Ten years have passed since the battle of Naboo and the two Jedi are given the task by the Jedi high council of protecting Padme Amidala (Nathalie Portman), once ruler of Naboo she has now become a senator to her home world. Her life is being threatened by a separatist movement lead by the enigmatic Count Dooku,(Christopher Lee) a former Jedi Master who detests the ever growing corruption in the galactic senate and plans to put a stop to it by what ever means he sees fit.

The reason for the threat on Padme's life is the fact that she plans to put a vote in the senate that will enable the senate to build a grand army of the republic to combat against the seperatists. The Jedi's number are not strong enough to cope against the many that are out there. As Jedi Master Mace Windu states, 'We are keepers of the peace. Not soldiers.'

Of course as always things are not quite as they seem and the events of the movie will lead Anakin back to his home planet of Tataooine and the grim realisation of what has become of his mother. Not only that but we witness the first unsubtle steps he will take to joining the Darkside.

Sadly however, the promise that the movie had is compeletly lost in a badly written script with characters who are never well enough drawn out. Anakin who is so woodenly portrayed by Canadian new comer Hayden Christiensen does not come across as a idealistic young apprentice coping with the enormity incredible powers, so much as a spoiled brat who forever has a hissy fit when he doesn't get his own way. You constantly wonder why Obi-Wan as he states in the previous trilogy, loved him so much.

Ewan Macgregor does a slightly better job as Anakin's supposed friend and Master Obi-Wan Kenobi.Now no longer the rebellious apprentice he was in the Phantom Menace he is a wiser more medetive man. However Macgregor can't seem to fully convince as the younger Obi-Wan.He is unable to harness Alec Guinesse's mannerism's voice and the character is so different. Too different from the older man he becomes. Never the less Macgregor does apear to have fun in the roll.

Nathalie Portman like Christiensen is undeniably flat in her portrayal. She lacks the charisma to make Padme the fully memorable character that Princess Leia was in the earlier film's. But then that's probably down more to the writing of the script than her boring performance.

The rest of the supporting cast with the exception of maybe Christopher lee is absoleutly terrible. A normally reliable Samuel L. Jackson tries bravely to cope with the script but sadly fails while Ian Mcdiarmid as the future Emperor, Chancellor Palpatine fall short of expectations.

One of the few wise moves that Lucas makes his decreasing the screen time of one of the most unpopular characters from the first movie. That of Jar-Jar Binks. It's good to see that he at least listened to the fans when it came to this irritating character. Shame he couldn't erase him completly.

In surmising Episode II has very slight redeeming features but none to prevent it from being possibly just as bad as 'The Phantom Menace'. Lucas has tried telling a story in at two hours and twenty minutes is just not quite long enough and feels a bit rushed. If you do really want to see this film rent it out. But don't make the mistake of buying it. Robs Rating: *

What on earth are people complaining about?!

Author: lizwilder_1234 from England
14 December 2011

I seriously cannot stand it when reviewers comment on how childish the new trilogy is, the original trilogy was rated a 'U', as in 'viewable for all'. They were never intended to be as gruesome as the 'Alien' films or as dark and twisty as 'Terminator'. Star wars has always been aimed at the younger audience, with a number of adults enjoying it too because it's not so complicated.

Attack of the Clones is rated '12', and that does fit. The cast are actually relatively good actors, and i see no need to hate them so much. Hayden makes such a great portrayal of 'Anakin' as he himself can appear as quite dark and troubled, and so he fits the 'Darth Vader' thing perfectly well. The story isn't much of a wow factor in this film, but we're still presented with the epic fight scenes between opposing alien groups and the film is packed with dumb Droids that can be easily swiped down by a light saber. This film, along with the other criticised prequels, is getting too much hate. Some people are just forgetting that they are 'prequels' for a reason. They're not meant to be like the others. This film is somewhat a lot more dark and the CGI is actually quite good. Does it really matter that much that a lot of this film is animated? Look at what Avatar accomplished, the CGI in that film was incredible and it received a lot of both negative and positive reviews. Everything has it's downsides, so this film is really good! You should watch it, it's gripping, action packed, full of light sabers and jedis, everything a Star Wars film should be!

Blah

Author: zepher_blue from Minnesota
11 November 2005

I consider myself a patient person, I can sit through a lot. This movie, however, was too much. I was at a friend's house and I had not yet seen Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. I was somewhat afraid because I love the original Star Wars movies, and I even enjoyed the third one (though it was not nearly as good as the originals). However, I hated Star Wars: Episode I. As I sat on the couch waiting for the movie to begin, I wondered if I would like it. Little did I know, I would have much rather been in Uganda doing manual labor than having to sit through that awful movie. Here are my reasons:

1) The dialog was terrible (I know George Lucas has never been known for great dialog...but this was just unfathomable)

2) Mr. Lucas tried to make the movie into some sort of drama (I'm speaking for Episodes I and III also) rather than sticking to the fun originals.

3) He tried to make the audience feel Anakin's "deep inner struggles" but it turned into a flop because the dialog was such as: "I...I...I just can't breathe without you." and "Where I come from it is so rocky, but here it's so soft and smooth."

4) George Lucas had an interesting idea of dwelling on how Anikan became Darth Vader, but he didn't have enough to go on so he tried filling the rest in with bits and scraps that made the movie look poorly put together.

After I watched the movie (barely being able sit through it at all) I went and did something productive like renting the "The Grapes of Wrath" which is actually good. I understand that if you're some sort of Star Wars fanatic you'll think me an idiot and you'll say this is the best movie that' s been made in the past 10 years. That's why I didn't aim this review at people like you because you're just stubborn mules with no taste and you take offense much too easily. I aimed this review at those of you who aren't Star Wars fanatics, because if you haven't already seen it...just skip it.

"Lost a Movie George Lucas has, how embarrassing!!!"

Author: (jimmykoy@hotmail.com) from NJ
13 March 2003

Existing among Star Wars non-apologists are subdivisions who realized at different moments that this film was beyond repair. For some, it was immediately, upon witnessing Padme Amidala's courageous bout with danger and learning that female planetary monarchs are subject to term limits! Another faction of viewers might take issue with Anakin Skywalker's evolution from a bratty little eight-year-old to a whining, spoiled teenager (as I'm sure Lucas intended all along). Nevertheless, few can contradict that the clear point of no return was Yoda, now reduced to a CGI. Decently portrayed in The Empire Strikes Back as a wise teacher, the little green guy here is everything and everywhere at once. First he presides over the Jedi Council (ok, I think the whole council thing has been played out about a thousand times over in science fiction). Next we see him teaching Jedi nursery school, going so far as having his pupils greet Ewan MacGregor with "Helll ohhhh Mass Terrrr Obeeeeee Wannnnn" as pronounced in younglingspeak. Later on, he appears as a George Patton-like General in the heat of battle, uttering what will surely be the century's most ridiculous line: "Around the survivors a perimeter create!!!" erasing any remaining doubt of Lucas's incompetence in writing dialogue. After such horrible silliness, the average cinema patron is not even phased by the so-called Jedi Master's swordfight, which is so fast that it looks like Kermit the Frog working late in a meth lab without a mask.

A 140 minute computer game.

Author: Wobler from Iceland
14 June 2002

Like so many others I hoped and prayed that Episode 2 would turn out to be an improvement over the awful Episode 1 "The Phantom Menace" but it turned out to be just as bad. About an hour into the movie I was already looking at my watch, hardly believing what I was seeing.

As it was with The Phantom Menace, there were no interesting characters to speak of and those that did show promise were never given the chance to truly shine, and a movie where you don't care what happens to the characters can never be very exciting.

So much of the movie was in C.G.I that it left me wondering why they bothered to have live actors in it, but as with The Phantom Menace, the Special effects are the star and apparently the only thing that mattered to the film makers, since the storytelling is this bad. Too many action sequences seemed to be just thrown in because they might look good in a computer game (which I'm sure will be coming out) and far too many stupid one-liners which had me shaking my head, thinking "My God, Star Wars has been turned into an Austin Powers movie" .... Silly one-liners work for Austin Powers but NOT for Star Wars.

Still, it should have been possible for George Lucas to make an entertaining movie using just special effects and a lot of brainless action, but no, he could not even manage that. A screenplay without characters to care for, and even though the story (as we all know from Episodes IV-VI) is a good one, the screenplay is just TOO awful to make an entertaining 143 minute movie with the first hour being mainly an unbelievable love story.

This movie, as stated before, is about two and a half hours long, but it feels a lot longer, and it left me with the feeling that I had been watching somebody playing a computer game for two and a half hours.

Unbelievably this movie was worse than a waste of money, it was a waste of time, and I for one will not be wasting time or money on Episode III, no matter how much I love Episodes IV-VI.

it was better than Episode 1

Author: mwcanadian-99023
27 August 2015

*May Contain Spoilers* Well first, I'll start off with some good news. Jar Jar has taken the role that he so truly deserves, barely in this movie. Sure he has some lines, but it's not like the first movie where he was just in the way.

The acting wasn't great here, but i didn't hate it. I found the story to be intriguing, especially the whole Master Sifa-Dias deal and when i first saw it, I was shocked about the clones which just makes the story better because it shows how this plan was just so methodically played out. The final battles weren't bad while the light saber battles were entertaining, though I have seen better. I think the best light saber battle was with Yoda and Dooku since it showed that he can still battle it out, despite his age.

I felt that this movie was good, not great. It gets a lot of bad reviews, but again, I've seen far worse and the story (after you watch the last one) is really good.

Hot, Garbage, Trash

Author: (Nerd_Hour@yahoo.com) from bradford, pennsylvania
20 August 2015

I will start off by saying that I hate giving this movie a one since it deserves so much less but whatever, if i must. Now, this is my least favorite movie, the dialogue is nonexistent, the characters are literally just cardboard other than Ewan McGregor giving a decent performance with the trash basket of a "script" he was given, and the movie looks and is paced so bad that I physically cannot finish it (I constantly forget there is a fight with Count Dooku because I turn it off after that garbage factory scene). There really isn't much else to say other than "oh god just don't watch it, for the love of god just do not put yourself through the anal tearage of a movie that Attack of the Garbage is."

It's a passable installment

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
8 August 2015

Hmm I personally thought this second installment was pretty good. It isn't a amazing Star Wars installment, but I thought it was good enough. Maybe it's because of how bad the "The Phantom Menace" is. But I thought the story was passable and moved along in a mediocre manner. Sure the romantic parts seemed so forced and corny. But it has enough lightsaber action and battle sequences to make it worth the watch. The acting isn't really good but Hayden Christensen put on the most wooden performance out of the bunch. And he is suppose to be a very emotionally driven character, but he failed because of the wooden performance. Despite Anakin being a incompetent apprentice because of him being very driven by his emotions, it was understandable to a degree. So I can't take that away from the character. But I do think the future Darth Vader could have been written better and more badass. I think George Lucas picked the wrong actor to portray one of the greatest villain in movie history. Overall, this is a okay installment, sure there is plenty of ways it could have been better. But it is a passable installment.

7.2/10

A much improve film

Author: Terryfan from United States
22 July 2015

Now while I still feel mix about Episode 1 I have to say Star Wars: Episode 2 Attack of The Clones is a much improve film and shows to be one of the best second films in a series.

It does have it fair share of highs and lows but it still a much better film in the prequel Star Wars films

Our three main protagonists are Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) and Padmé (Natalie Portman).

Yoda (Frank Oz) and Mace Windu (Samuel L. Jackson) also play important roles in the plot of the film along with the mystery around Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid)

Our film main antagonist is Count Dooku (Christopher Lee) and our second antagonist is Jango Fett (Temuera Morrison)

It's hard to explain the plot because it's better if you watch the film to understand it more than I could best explain it but never the less it had a story to go into this film.

There is some emotional performances in this film as you can see the cast emotions in their characters as they did a good performance in the film.

Surprising that they added comedy into the film but I really got a laugh that I had to pause the movie because I couldn't stop laugh then rewind to laugh again.

John Williams once again show case his wonderful talent for making superb music he's a man where anything he touches turns to gold he just knows how to tell a story with his music and this film is no different each piece of music helps tell the story of this motion picture.

Also the fight scenes are very well done and they really took the effort to make each battle the most rewarding part of watching this film each battle is just really thought out and keeps you on the edge

The only draw back is that there are slow down moments in the film and some of the plot is hard to understand but still this film is much improve over the first episode

Overall I really enjoy the film and it shows that with a little work anything can be improve over the last film

I give Star Wars:Episode 2 Attack Of The Clones an 8 out of 10