Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Page 11 of 344: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Boring and Bad

Author: (pksoze22@hotmail.com) from New Jersey
10 December 2002

Unless you're a diehard Star Wars fan don't waste your time. The movie is nice to look at. But the acting is wooden and stale. And things just happen to characters that one really has no emotional attachment to. This may be mediocre as a Star Wars movie but as a regular movie its barely tolerable.

Star Bores Episode II-Attack of the Yawns!

Author: Robert (robert@rmcelwaine.fsnet.co.uk) from Clydebank, Scotland
25 March 2003

* Terrible * * Below Par * * * Not Bad * * * * Good * * * * * Brilliant

Last year did not see many, if not any really good summer blockbuster movies. The usual clutch of commercial popcorn movies were hurled at us from those big wigs at Hollywood and one that stuck in my mind was this effort. Not because it was the best. Oh, no. Because it was undeniably in my opinion the biggest load of garbage since 'The Phantom Menace' three years previously.

Over the years George Lucas has released wave upon wave of movie as a producer that was not as big as the good yet over rated star wars movies(Apart from the Indiana Jones movies). The 1986 effort of Howard: A New breed of Hero was a huge turkey of a movie that flopped big time at the box office. The fantasy adventure movie he produced which Ron Howard directed, called 'Willow' with Val Kilmer was a better effort but also failed to bring in the audiences.

So why people went to see this drivel is any one's guess.Personally I believe they were hoping for an improvement. Don't get me wrong. I was one of them. Having seen both trailers for Episode II for free(I work in a cinema)I was quite hopeful from the look of them. Boy, was I wrong.

This segment in the Star Wars saga concerns the young Anakin Skywalker (Played here by new comer Hayden Christiensen). No longer the little boy we saw in Episode I: The Phantom menace, but a nineteen year old Padawan apprentice to now, Master Jedi Obi-Wan-Kenobi(Ewan MacGregor reprising the roll).

Ten years have passed since the battle of Naboo and the two Jedi are given the task by the Jedi high council of protecting Padme Amidala (Nathalie Portman), once ruler of Naboo she has now become a senator to her home world. Her life is being threatened by a separatist movement lead by the enigmatic Count Dooku,(Christopher Lee) a former Jedi Master who detests the ever growing corruption in the galactic senate and plans to put a stop to it by what ever means he sees fit.

The reason for the threat on Padme's life is the fact that she plans to put a vote in the senate that will enable the senate to build a grand army of the republic to combat against the seperatists. The Jedi's number are not strong enough to cope against the many that are out there. As Jedi Master Mace Windu states, 'We are keepers of the peace. Not soldiers.'

Of course as always things are not quite as they seem and the events of the movie will lead Anakin back to his home planet of Tataooine and the grim realisation of what has become of his mother. Not only that but we witness the first unsubtle steps he will take to joining the Darkside.

Sadly however, the promise that the movie had is compeletly lost in a badly written script with characters who are never well enough drawn out. Anakin who is so woodenly portrayed by Canadian new comer Hayden Christiensen does not come across as a idealistic young apprentice coping with the enormity incredible powers, so much as a spoiled brat who forever has a hissy fit when he doesn't get his own way. You constantly wonder why Obi-Wan as he states in the previous trilogy, loved him so much.

Ewan Macgregor does a slightly better job as Anakin's supposed friend and Master Obi-Wan Kenobi.Now no longer the rebellious apprentice he was in the Phantom Menace he is a wiser more medetive man. However Macgregor can't seem to fully convince as the younger Obi-Wan.He is unable to harness Alec Guinesse's mannerism's voice and the character is so different. Too different from the older man he becomes. Never the less Macgregor does apear to have fun in the roll.

Nathalie Portman like Christiensen is undeniably flat in her portrayal. She lacks the charisma to make Padme the fully memorable character that Princess Leia was in the earlier film's. But then that's probably down more to the writing of the script than her boring performance.

The rest of the supporting cast with the exception of maybe Christopher lee is absoleutly terrible. A normally reliable Samuel L. Jackson tries bravely to cope with the script but sadly fails while Ian Mcdiarmid as the future Emperor, Chancellor Palpatine fall short of expectations.

One of the few wise moves that Lucas makes his decreasing the screen time of one of the most unpopular characters from the first movie. That of Jar-Jar Binks. It's good to see that he at least listened to the fans when it came to this irritating character. Shame he couldn't erase him completly.

In surmising Episode II has very slight redeeming features but none to prevent it from being possibly just as bad as 'The Phantom Menace'. Lucas has tried telling a story in at two hours and twenty minutes is just not quite long enough and feels a bit rushed. If you do really want to see this film rent it out. But don't make the mistake of buying it. Robs Rating: *

What on earth are people complaining about?!

Author: lizwilder_1234 from England
14 December 2011

I seriously cannot stand it when reviewers comment on how childish the new trilogy is, the original trilogy was rated a 'U', as in 'viewable for all'. They were never intended to be as gruesome as the 'Alien' films or as dark and twisty as 'Terminator'. Star wars has always been aimed at the younger audience, with a number of adults enjoying it too because it's not so complicated.

Attack of the Clones is rated '12', and that does fit. The cast are actually relatively good actors, and i see no need to hate them so much. Hayden makes such a great portrayal of 'Anakin' as he himself can appear as quite dark and troubled, and so he fits the 'Darth Vader' thing perfectly well. The story isn't much of a wow factor in this film, but we're still presented with the epic fight scenes between opposing alien groups and the film is packed with dumb Droids that can be easily swiped down by a light saber. This film, along with the other criticised prequels, is getting too much hate. Some people are just forgetting that they are 'prequels' for a reason. They're not meant to be like the others. This film is somewhat a lot more dark and the CGI is actually quite good. Does it really matter that much that a lot of this film is animated? Look at what Avatar accomplished, the CGI in that film was incredible and it received a lot of both negative and positive reviews. Everything has it's downsides, so this film is really good! You should watch it, it's gripping, action packed, full of light sabers and jedis, everything a Star Wars film should be!

Blah

Author: zepher_blue from Minnesota
11 November 2005

I consider myself a patient person, I can sit through a lot. This movie, however, was too much. I was at a friend's house and I had not yet seen Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. I was somewhat afraid because I love the original Star Wars movies, and I even enjoyed the third one (though it was not nearly as good as the originals). However, I hated Star Wars: Episode I. As I sat on the couch waiting for the movie to begin, I wondered if I would like it. Little did I know, I would have much rather been in Uganda doing manual labor than having to sit through that awful movie. Here are my reasons:

1) The dialog was terrible (I know George Lucas has never been known for great dialog...but this was just unfathomable)

2) Mr. Lucas tried to make the movie into some sort of drama (I'm speaking for Episodes I and III also) rather than sticking to the fun originals.

3) He tried to make the audience feel Anakin's "deep inner struggles" but it turned into a flop because the dialog was such as: "I...I...I just can't breathe without you." and "Where I come from it is so rocky, but here it's so soft and smooth."

4) George Lucas had an interesting idea of dwelling on how Anikan became Darth Vader, but he didn't have enough to go on so he tried filling the rest in with bits and scraps that made the movie look poorly put together.

After I watched the movie (barely being able sit through it at all) I went and did something productive like renting the "The Grapes of Wrath" which is actually good. I understand that if you're some sort of Star Wars fanatic you'll think me an idiot and you'll say this is the best movie that' s been made in the past 10 years. That's why I didn't aim this review at people like you because you're just stubborn mules with no taste and you take offense much too easily. I aimed this review at those of you who aren't Star Wars fanatics, because if you haven't already seen it...just skip it.

"Lost a Movie George Lucas has, how embarrassing!!!"

Author: (jimmykoy@hotmail.com) from NJ
13 March 2003

Existing among Star Wars non-apologists are subdivisions who realized at different moments that this film was beyond repair. For some, it was immediately, upon witnessing Padme Amidala's courageous bout with danger and learning that female planetary monarchs are subject to term limits! Another faction of viewers might take issue with Anakin Skywalker's evolution from a bratty little eight-year-old to a whining, spoiled teenager (as I'm sure Lucas intended all along). Nevertheless, few can contradict that the clear point of no return was Yoda, now reduced to a CGI. Decently portrayed in The Empire Strikes Back as a wise teacher, the little green guy here is everything and everywhere at once. First he presides over the Jedi Council (ok, I think the whole council thing has been played out about a thousand times over in science fiction). Next we see him teaching Jedi nursery school, going so far as having his pupils greet Ewan MacGregor with "Helll ohhhh Mass Terrrr Obeeeeee Wannnnn" as pronounced in younglingspeak. Later on, he appears as a George Patton-like General in the heat of battle, uttering what will surely be the century's most ridiculous line: "Around the survivors a perimeter create!!!" erasing any remaining doubt of Lucas's incompetence in writing dialogue. After such horrible silliness, the average cinema patron is not even phased by the so-called Jedi Master's swordfight, which is so fast that it looks like Kermit the Frog working late in a meth lab without a mask.

A 140 minute computer game.

Author: Wobler from Iceland
14 June 2002

Like so many others I hoped and prayed that Episode 2 would turn out to be an improvement over the awful Episode 1 "The Phantom Menace" but it turned out to be just as bad. About an hour into the movie I was already looking at my watch, hardly believing what I was seeing.

As it was with The Phantom Menace, there were no interesting characters to speak of and those that did show promise were never given the chance to truly shine, and a movie where you don't care what happens to the characters can never be very exciting.

So much of the movie was in C.G.I that it left me wondering why they bothered to have live actors in it, but as with The Phantom Menace, the Special effects are the star and apparently the only thing that mattered to the film makers, since the storytelling is this bad. Too many action sequences seemed to be just thrown in because they might look good in a computer game (which I'm sure will be coming out) and far too many stupid one-liners which had me shaking my head, thinking "My God, Star Wars has been turned into an Austin Powers movie" .... Silly one-liners work for Austin Powers but NOT for Star Wars.

Still, it should have been possible for George Lucas to make an entertaining movie using just special effects and a lot of brainless action, but no, he could not even manage that. A screenplay without characters to care for, and even though the story (as we all know from Episodes IV-VI) is a good one, the screenplay is just TOO awful to make an entertaining 143 minute movie with the first hour being mainly an unbelievable love story.

This movie, as stated before, is about two and a half hours long, but it feels a lot longer, and it left me with the feeling that I had been watching somebody playing a computer game for two and a half hours.

Unbelievably this movie was worse than a waste of money, it was a waste of time, and I for one will not be wasting time or money on Episode III, no matter how much I love Episodes IV-VI.

It was very good, unlike what I had heard

Author: dim-tripakis from Greece
4 January 2015

It is now 2014 and I finally got to watch both Episode I and Episode II, during a weekend visit to some friends. Since the 3 prequels were released (I believe Episode III was in 2005) I have heard a lot of bad comments for the movies and Lucas specifically. That all he is after is money and franchising, bad director, bad writer and the like.

When you expect less, you get more out of it. That is a rule of life. And perhaps this is the reason I enjoyed Episode II so much. Or, more precise, one of the reasons.

The other reasons are that it fully immerses you into another world. This is imperative for a movie. I would go as far as saying that movies *are* immersion, above all other things. So this one, in my book, is a successful movie. You do get the feeling of watching a world similar to ours, but orders of magnitude bigger, were countries have been replaced by planets and nations by species. And they, too, have their problems. Politics, war, greed. The political and social references of the movie are not to be taken lightly. They were well thought out and make this movie enjoyable to watch by adults as well.

Technically the movie looks fantastic, the plot feels realistic and the dialogs are good. The dialogs have seldom something smart in them, but they work. I would expect a little more humor and punchlines, but anyway, I suppose dialogs are not the strong part of the movie.

I could go on for hours but its late. All I want to end up with is that the movie is immersive, has good plot, decent dialogs and does not stall much, at least much less than Episode I.

The one thing I did not like and God I don't know how they allowed it to happen, is that Anakin simply can not act.

Second prequel that improves

Author: willcundallreview from United Kingdom
3 August 2014

Grade:Higher 6/10

Star Wars: Episode II-Attack of the Clones is the second of the Star Wars prequels and one that in my opinion, just about beats that of it's previous film in the series. The story is upped quite a bit from Phantom and much more is going on here and there and everywhere throughout the galaxies, with much more fight scenes, an interesting mystery running through the film and of course, more lightsabers. Overall I felt it was just about an OK movie, and here below is why.

The story is fast paced, lots goes on in a quite long movie though and so the film truly gets what it wants to get out in the right amount of time. The thrills are also more abundant than Phantom and rival any of the Star Wars for true thrilling action and big battles. I wasn't to keen on the quite rushed ending though and there are parts of the story which could have been done much better with more added depth and at times, not enough is going on then suddenly lots is happening.

From an acting perspective it isn't so bad this but also not the greatest, Ewan McGregor is OK as Kenobi again and is in a much more major role this time around, dealt well McGregor does. Hayden Christensen is not the best person they could have got as Anakin, sure he can do the action scenes fairly well and any fast movements, but his acting is poor here and much work is needed on the character of Anakin. Natalie Portman is much better this time around and the entire supporting cast are fairly good in there roles, even a welcome sight of a CGI Yoda.

Lucas and his writing skill suffer once again in this one, it never quite harms the film to such an extent but it does mean certain scenes are left awkward and just strange. His directing is good for this one, he does seem to have worked a little harder for this one and the scenes where his direction is most needed are worked out very well. The effects are shall we say, over used, yet they are pretty good for 2002 and this film will always be known as a turning point in special effects technology.

The main criticisms don't just lie in the writing, it's the effects too and of course acting. The dialogue is fairly stingy and Lucas seriously shouldn't have written this second or for that matter the first. I said about the special effects but one major point is there is just too much, the colour can make you feel a bit dizzy and it can seem near every set is made from green screen or has been digitally done. And on to the acting, it isn't just Hayden, not everyone is so comfortable in there role, but I guess that is what you get with such an epic space drama.

For Star Wars fans they should prefer this to the Phantom Menace but compared to any other of the movies, they may feel bitterly disappointed, It is a satisfactory film but for the true fans, maybe not so. If you are new to the franchise then I feel you will like it although watching it years after does not help the effects used and can seem as if the producers were pretty lazy. This for me is the Star Wars most kids should enjoy, it has a lot of fighting and big action sequences, not to ruin any but they are spread well across the running time.

Overall I give this a higher 6/10 meaning it is Just About OK in my opinion, many will disagree but some will say it is better, that is for you to decide. I have to admit from watching this when it first came out I did like it much more back then but you see in time what is just about wrong with the movie, but you also keep what is good about it. One more thing, I may criticise Christensen but he shouldn't ruin the movie for you, for the most part he is competent in the role as Anakin Skywalker.

Why do I get the feeling that CGI will be the death of me?

Author: West_Saxon from United Kingdom
26 December 2013

I get that this is number 2 of the series, and as such a bridge between 1 and 3. Therefore I won't gripe too much about a lack of a self- contained package. One could even argue that the love story between Anakin and Padme IS the crux of the plot - the music (Williams is on form this time) would suggest so - and that the final scene set to a symbolically beautiful landscape on planet Naboo shows its fruition.

I get that an awful lot of locations (if cyber-scenes can be classed as 'location') and characters are needed to tell the continuing story of a galactic republic gone awry. Therefore I will not gripe about the hectic kaleidoscope of alien worlds and species that pass before our eyes. I might even grudgingly admire the craftsmanship that ties all this together.

I get that, in 2002, young audiences have a certain expectation of technology in movie production. Indeed, this had visibly moved on even from the CGI Menace of 1999. Therefore I will not gripe about the proliferation of digitally-created scenes, and I might even tell myself not to grow old before my time (I'm 45) and to chill and enjoy the spectacle of galactic super-civilizations that this supports.

I do NOT get that we - including children of our hi-tec times - need outrageously frenetic action sequences by the megabyte in order to command our attention. I DO gripe at this because, eventually, it becomes BORING as credibility suffers more than the Tuskan Raiders under the vengeance of Anakin's light-sabre. Please, just tell the damn story with a balance of imagination and believable action. That scene, ironically, was a good one. It was an important one - what we were allowed to see of it.

"Every shot there's a bluescreen, even if it's at a window"

Author: ckolet37 from United States
13 September 2013

The only thing positive I can say about this film is that it is better than Phantom Menace. That is the only thing I can say that makes this movie remotely recommendable... That doesn't necessarily mean its a great film, let alone a good one. The film suffers from being too creatively controlled by George Lucas. The reason why Empire was good was that Lucas only wrote the script... And it had to be revised. It is his usual tension-free, bland dialogue script that gives the movie a minority of its problems. This was a classic example in the fool me once shame on him, fool me twice shame on me. The producers should have seen this coming and should not have given Lucas as much creative control as he did. Most of the plot devises he sets up crashes and burns. It is a catastrophe of epic proportions. The "romance" in this film between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman crumbles because of bland dialogue and implausible plot devises. "I'm a senator" Samuel L Jackson, Ewan McGreggor and Christopher Lee give decent performances. The problem is is that they are so detached with their environment. Like their only purpose was to take out a lightsaber each scene. But with Hayden Christensen... Good God what happened there? Some of the worst acting, no, worst line delivery I have seen in a while. Tommy Wiseau could give better line delivery than that man. But no, The script isn't the downfall of the film, nor is the acting. The use of CGI in every scene, literally every scene is what killed the film for me. The effects added zero tension zero thrills and had zero purpose. In the end, this film had to be the darkest of the trilogy because it was the second act, the characters needed a challenge they could overcome. The only purpose this film will ever have is that this is some minor details between Episode I and Episode III.