IMDb > It's Your Move (1982) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

It's Your Move (TV) More at IMDbPro »

This is English Humour and that's what makes it difficult to understand?

Author: leiahyne from United Kingdom
10 July 2005

I first saw this film many years ago, when I too was hoping to set-up and purchase my own first home. I have only recently discovered that I could buy a DVD copy and I will probably do so now. The problem some people have with this film is it's English Humour that makes it difficult to understand? Read Bill Brysons books on UK life and you'll begin to understand. If you grew up in the UK post-WW2 the incidents in the film where just magnified versions of daily life for many of us. I know sad and pathetic! But by just visually demonstrating these events no words are necessary to enjoy surely. I fear that the UK viewer and the USA viewer will remain divided by a common language and a different lifestyle, though we still hope to emulate that of our American cousins.

I just don't get it.

Author: xfile1971 from Northbrook, IL, USA
24 April 2004

My question is this: Was this short film EVER funny in ANY decade in ANY country? I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't even born yet in 1969 and I am not overly impressed with a lot of older British humor. However, "It's Your Move" seems like something most other people wouldn't be able to enjoy also.

For starters, there is very little dialogue. Nobody ever actually holds a conversation in this film. They flail their arms about and motion to each other. Occasionally someone will blurt out a word or short phrase. It is never made clear why they do this but it takes the word "frustrating" to a whole new level.

The main premise of the film is about a couple moving into their new home. Nothing works right in the house and the occupants seems like idiots for evidently purchasing it sight unseen. To make things worse, they have hired the world's worst movers. These guys bust pretty much everything they lay their hands on. No matter though. The homeowners barely seem to care.

If watching people pantomime and break lots of things leaves you in stitches then maybe you'll enjoy this. For me, it took everything in my power not to fall asleep during its brief running time of about 25 minutes. 1/10