IMDb > What Dreams May Come (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
What Dreams May Come

What Dreams May Come More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 62:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The most under-rated movie ever ?

Author: Lea Greenall from Brisbane, Australia
26 December 2005

Firstly this is an adult movie. I remember when it was marketed on its release. It seemed to be targeted to all ages - Robin Williams off the back of- at that time- children's movies. It promoted the technology of the making. Overall they marketed it completely wrong, which I daresay has led it to being placed in the mediocrity bin.

However, nothing could be further from the truth. What Dreams May Come would have to be one of the most intelligent, emotional, visually beautiful, and well acted projects ever to grace the screen.

Robin Williams is masterful and Sciorra perfectly mirrors her soul mate (Williams). Their performances encapsulate all the joy and abject sorrow human life entails. It's a movie that wants you to find real love, see beyond cynicism and grasp the idea of soul mate. And it's all presented in a stunningly gorgeous montage of exquisite colour and symmetry.

From the opening shot to the closing frame, its magnificent. The story is enveloping encompassing nearly every asset of human emotion. It's a roller-coaster ride but rewarding. Comedy, hope, sadness, joy, elation, despair... all displayed perfectly.

ALL actors shine, Cuba Gooding Jr is his usual excellent self and Max von Sydow is impeccable.

The greatest movie ever? close... most under-rated movie ever? - most probably. Watch it, very few movies will touch you as What Dreams May Come will.

What Fantastic Movies are Made Of!!!

Author: anonymous
20 March 1999

Ok, This movie was overlooked. Period. Before I saw it, I was one of the many movie going clones who decided not to see it in the theater because it hadn't been getting the rave reviews that the trailer suggested it should.

So, my roommate works at a video store. One night, he brings home "What Dreams May Come." For lack of NOTHING better to do, I pop it in one night when I'm home alone. 113 minutes later I was floored. This was a fantastic movie. At first, I was a bit skeptical. Very little character development creation, and death comes just as the introduction to life begins. Then......it all hits. The absolute best computer animation I've ever seen. A plot line that has no obvious holes. A story that has never been addressed on the big screen. A subject that is explored in a way that is both believable and desirable. An incredible movie that leaves you happy, sad, curious, and most of all, drained of energy and exhilarated at the same time. I can't explain the feeling that this movie gave me, and I bet you can't explain the after-life any better than "What Dreams May Come," unless your 3 letter name begins with "G" and ends with "D." If you have a mind that will allow you to be entertained by something other than a beefy guy blowing things up with an Uzi, see this movie. 10 out of 10 JimmyT-2

What dreams are made of...

Author: The_Core from Seattle, WA. USA
14 April 2000

To hell with the critics and the cynics. I absolutely love this movie - it's in my top ten (or maybe even top five) list of favorite movies (I saw it at least 3 times in the theater and own it on DVD). I have to admit, I'm one of those non- (almost anti-) elitist, "I don't know art, but I know what I like" type people. I also truly love positive, upbeat movies with happy endings. Not to say that "realistic" movies aren't also great, but there is room for everything in the moviemaking genre. Isn't there enough depressing "realism" on the evening news to satisfy even the most jaded cynic?

I can't say exactly what it is that strikes me about this movie. The incredible color-saturated visuals and special effects certainly help. The acting talents of Robin Williams and Max Von Sydow help. And I loved the story. Emotionally manipulative it may be, but this is one of those films where I WANTED to be manipulated, where I willingly participated. Apparently some people resented it, but I was sobbing through much the movie, and glad to be doing so. Laugh if you please, say whatever you want... this movie touches my heart.

"Deep" it isn't, not terribly. On a metaphysical level, it goes only slightly beyond new-age kitsch. Very few of the afterlife scenes and concepts agree with the spiritual outlook of any known religion. But I don't care. Again, if a movie touches my heart in just the right place, I can forgive it almost anything. This one did. 9/10.

tear-jerker

Author: whossweettiger from USA
13 December 2004

I thought this movie was EXCELLENT the first time I saw it about 3 years ago and I saw it twice since. I bought the DVD just a few days ago and watched it again tonight and I cried so much. It is an amazing movie that really has you on your seat wondering what will happen next. It is neat to see the possible reality of one's "after-life" in heaven or hell. It makes you want to love those whom you love more and more every day and make sure that they know it. I was watching it tonight with my fiancé and could not keep the tears from coming....even after the movie I was crying because I was thinking about how I would feel if I lost him. I am not one to cry much, especially when I'm watching a movie. But this movie was a definite tear-jerker and an excellent must-see film! :o)

I just couldn't get enough of What Dreams May Come.

Author: Chris Brown (christopher6453@hotmail.com) from Fresno, CA USA
19 June 2002

It was a moving, visually stunning masterpiece unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Even though I knew how it was going to end, I kept cheering for it to happen. An absolutely beautiful film.

Chris (Robin Williams) and Annie (Annabella Sciorra) are husband and wife. They met by chance and fell in love immediately. They have two wonderful kids and a marriage full of love and life. But tragically, one day their kids are taken from them in a car accident. They fight to continue their lives, but one day, four years later, Chris's life is also taken. He ends up in Heaven, but can't accept his fate. A guide is sent to him, in the form of his friend Albert (Cuba Gooding Jr.). Albert leads Chris on a journey through Heaven, and the wonders it can bring. In the real world, Annie can't handle Chris's death, and she kills herself and ends up in Hell. Chris must go on a journey to find her, and save her from an eternity of sorrow.

This movie hits all the right chords. It makes you laugh at times, and makes you cry at times. The love Chris has for Annie is stronger than anything you have ever seen. He's willing to lose his mind, and spend all eternity in Hell with her, with neither of them recognizing the other, because they are soul mates, destined to be together for all time. This movie is hard to explain in any other way. The journey Chris goes through is remarkable, but the real star of this film is the visuals.

When Chris goes to Heaven, he is told that what he sees is what his mind can create. So what he sees is himself inside Annie's paintings. He lives in a Heaven full of brilliant colors. Life in a painting. It was amazing to look at. And the colors of the movie, along with the set designs were incredible. His house, Annie's Hell, the sea of Faces. I just couldn't believe how fantastic everything looked in this movie. The performances were wonderful. Robin Williams was at his dramatic best, and Cuba Gooding Jr. brought energy to the film. The story was strong, if predictable, and the manner is which it was made (utilizing flashbacks) was powerful. You really felt the characters emotions throughout.

I know this review is weak, but I really don't know what else to say. I guess you're going to have to see for yourself. It doesn't matter if you don't believe in a Heaven or a Hell. What Dreams May Come will make you believe in something even more powerful than that. Love, and what one man will do because of it.

absolutely stunning

Author: megawhoosits from Ontario
26 May 2003

I love this movie because it is truly romantic- it shows that love does not just happen in an instant, or at first glance, but is something that you have to commit to and work at. It's not just 'boys meets girl, stuff happens, they get married and live happily ever after' - Annie and Chris have to deal with real adversity and issues, which are shown through numerous flashbacks throughout the film. (ie- Chris being embarrassed to dance, teaching his daughter about death)

You're not supposed to watch this film for the visual effects. They're great, but they're not the point. If you have a short attention span, and are expecting action thrown at you every five seconds, then go watch something else, and don't complain that this film is boring.

This film was very simple and very human. If you want inspiration that REAL love exists (and not that stupid teen movie crap), then I highly recommend it.

Seriously Spiritual

Author: dominic69 from South Africa
26 December 2005

I don't know how some of the comments can state that it is New Age Kitch. The concepts in this movie is 100% spot on with the new way of thinking in just about all progressive belief systems.

A heaven which we create based on our own dreams and reality. A hell where we place ourselves in contrast to being sent here by a despotic God. The concept of coming back to live another life. These are not concepts that are way out. They make the basis for the majority of the religions in the east and therefore the majority of the world population.

Chistianity has also moved very close to this.

This movie MOVES me every time I see it. If you are in any way concerned about the greater plans in the universe, watch this.

Skydancer.

Wonderful! Actually wonder filled!

Author: from United States
6 October 2005

Although this movie is heart-wrenching, it is just too beautiful to pass up.

The creators explore possibilities of the spiritual life, and in doing so, have created some of the most beautiful scenes that I have ever seen. Their imaginations seem to be beyond any limitations. I congratulate them on their genius.

Those who have experience deeply meaningful experiences beyond the world of physical senses see these images and concepts as actual possibilities, and rightly so. In a world where time and space lose all definition in physical terms, incomprehensible and mystifying beauty become the reality. But then, who is qualified to define "reality"?

I have seen this awe filled movie several times and would love to see it again.

an impressive "tug" at heartstrings

Author: cousteau from Anchorage
21 August 2000

I am not that crazy about Robin Williams, though I don't dislike him. But he was adequate in this movie, because it called for a real sensitive and really nice guy. I feel that, from almost every one of the actors, there was a luminous glow emanating from their faces, like there was some sort of special lighting used. (There probably was!) As a result, the audience has empathy toward the characters and actually cares about what is happening to them. I've heard so many complaints about how it tries to pull at your heartstrings. Excuse me, but if there WAS a movie out there that made people cry without trying to, I would stay as far away from it as possible...

.....YES, I believe there IS merit to be deserved by a movie if it creates any kind of obvious emotion. I think that crying at a movie either scares or annoys some people.

I like how the movie made me feel awed during the first half, and even more awed during the second half; all the while making me feel sad throughout the movie at the same time. However, there is a difference between 'sad' and 'depressing'. I think the sadness helps any audience realize some parts of their inner-selves.

While very memorable, curiously, the movie never intends for its audience to be close-minded enough to think that this is, with certainty, what happens after you die. It is more of a suggestion, an analogy, of how precious life is, and how deep the bond of love is between some people, no matter what happens.

Rent this one today.

life after death?

Author: SharonHopson from United States
3 December 2005

Excellent movie.....I laughed and cried. It was not exactly what I expected... a journey into a supernatural realm. The special effects were simply awesome! Robin Williams will never cease to amaze me. He gave a wonderful performance, as did Annabella Sciora, and Cuba Gooding, Jr. True love, the kind that puts your partner before yourself, is clearly shown in this film. The film also makes you what to call everyone you haven't talked to for a while and let them know how you feel about them. It gives the viewer lots to discuss. I've seen it 3 times. Once alone, once with my grown daughter, and once with my boyfriend.

Page 1 of 62:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]