IMDb > The Wedding Singer (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This movie floored me

Author: Eileen Lau from USA
4 December 2002

I'm usually pretty cynical about cheesy movies but this movie absolutely floored me. Drew Barrymore was phenomenal playing role of Julia Sullivan. I've seen the movie at least 30 times by now and her expressions still make me cry, they're just so sincere. I don't know how else to put it. As for Adam Sandler I think that this is his best role yet, he's a real person in this movie not just some overgrown immature goofball. On top of everything it's a brilliant 80s satire, for me its right up there with American Psycho. I understand why someone would have reservations about watching this movie but my advice would be to put your cynicism aside for a couple of hours and just watch with an uncritical mind. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The Ups and Downs of Love

Author: PseudoFritz from sf
31 August 2004

To repeat a theme, I'm not a big fan of Adam Sandler, but I love this movie.

Robbie Hart is a genuinely likable character; he's a person I would like to have as a friend, and he's a performer I would gladly hire to sing at my OWN wedding (Sandler also seems completely comfortable with his character, while even Drew Barrymore sometimes sounds like she's merely reciting written dialogue). Yes, he's a capital-R Romantic, but that seems like a strong qualification for someone who makes his living at other people's weddings. I like the whole idea of a romantic comedy being set behind the scenes of the whole wedding game, and some of the most telling scenes involve Robbie guiding Julia through the preparations with an insider's eye.

Probably the funniest parts of the movie (to me) are those that play to Robbie's broken heart; it's probably the best depiction of the depression of the newly-dumped I've ever seen (in particular, I love the "Kill Me Please" song). Hey, I've been there.

This all being said, however, I think the touch-all-the-landmarks-of-the-mid-'80s approach gets awfully heavy-handed at times. The musical choices, though, were excellent.

Great entertainment with a lot of heart

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
23 September 2004

A little known fact about me is that I'm a big fan of fluffy romantic comedies. Why wouldn't you want to spend 90 minutes or so watching a film; laughing and ultimately feeling good at the end of it? I don't consider fluffy romance films to be at the absolute top of cinema, but they're good fun, and therefore get a thumbs up from me. The Wedding Singer, however, gets not one thumb up; but both thumbs, firmly, up. So, why does The Wedding Singer succeed more than most films in it's sub genre? Is it the jokes? The beautiful female lead? The gratuitous helping of 80's pop songs? No, it's that this movie has a lot of heart; that's what makes it a winner.

Adam Sandler stars as the quintessential 'loser'. He's a wedding singer, and not a very good one either. He specialises in doing terrible covers of 80's songs. It's not the sort of act that I would want at my wedding. His life gets worse one day, his wedding day, to be exact, when someone doesn't turn up. The bride, that is. Now in a deep spiral of depression, our hero doesn't see any way forward. His next gig is a washout and there's love all around him; even his newfound friend, the cute little waitress that works at the same place as him is getting married. And to a man who doesn't deserve her, I might add. I don't think I really need to tell you what comes next, but even though it's a predictable ride; trust me, it's a ride you want to be on.

Adam Sandler tends to be a very annoying actor; and for that reason he is almost universally disliked, but it is undeniable that he is good in this movie. Nobody else could have given the character what Sandler gave him; his performance is both entertaining and believable, and therefore is just right for the movie. Drew Barrymore was also perfectly cast. She is the perfect girl in this movie; all smiles and sunshine, and it's impossible not to fall in love with her. The movie also features great little turn from Steve Buscemi, who provides the film with one of it's funniest moments towards the start.

As mentioned; The Wedding Singer has a lot of heart. From the way that the characters interact with each other, particularly Sandler and Barrymore, it is obvious that they are in love. The movie also has some points to make on the subject of love; The Wedding Singer portrays that being in love is overall better than being a 'Fonz' type, womanising character. The message at the movie's centre is also a worthwhile one; the movie professes that it isn't important who you fall in love with; it doesn't matter whether or not he's merely a wedding singer, all that matters is the love between two people. The movie says that love is all you need; and that is a worthwhile message in any movie. The movie's message is lost somewhat under the barrage of jokes; but it's most certainly there and I for one think that it's a shame that a movie that is entertaining and funny can't be considered in the same league as other, more serious movies with a similar message.

Overall, The Wedding Singer is at the very top of the romantic comedy genre. It will make you laugh, and you will ultimately feel for the characters. The fact that this movie has something to say is only another reason to recommend it; especially as it says it with a great big smile on it's face. The Wedding Singer is not a film that you will want to miss; it's feel-good at it's best.

1980s Flashback to a charming romantic comedy

Author: mdm-11 from United States
13 October 2004

Adam Sandler (a Wedding Singer) and Drew Barrymore (a waitress) first meet at someone else's wedding. They soon meet again, when Barrymore is making plans for her own wedding (to a total jerk), even though deep inside she feels that she's "settling" for security without true love. Meanwhile Sandler finds out about the two-timing bozo, when the groom-to-be brags about his adventures with every sexy girl that comes along. Secretly in love with Barrymore, Sandler eventually sweeps her off her feet.

Look for a great cameo appearance by Billy Idol. The air plane "proposal" is a sweet highlight, you'll love it! The soundtrack (all hits of the mid 80s) is a nice touch, too. From "Love Stinks" to "99 Luftballoons" it's all there. -- This is my favorite Adam Sandler movie. Treat yourself to a bag-a-laughs and a few mushy moments, this is top entertainment!

Not the typical Sandler movie

Author: shawn9210
30 April 2004

The Wedding Singer and Punch Drunk Love standout from typical Sandler movies is two important ways. 1) The humor is subtler in these movies, and Sandler is much more subdued. 2) Critics actually like these two movies.

The Wedding Singer is a pretty average romantic story that wins because of funny performances and the ever elusive "chemistry" between Sandler and Barrymore. This was the first movie that taught me what romantic chemistry was. While you're watching it you not only want the characters Robbie and Julia to get together, but you want Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore to get together. The chemistry is that strong. A reason people, especially guys, don't like romance movies is because often the love between the leads seem contrived and forced. Thankfully, the Wedding Singer steers clear from that, and actually allows you to have an emotional stake in the characters.

Sadly, the movie is slightly forgettable, as it merely succeeds in its goals but fails to impress. However, it's great fun while it lasts and you'll always have a fond, if somewhat faded, memory of the movie.

a break from the 'yuck of the world'

Author: claire-mcgrath from australia
1 December 2004

I think that 'the wedding singer' is a simple, feelgood movie, which doesn't try to be anything else.

Like Jim Carey, who took many goes to strike the right balance, Adam Sandler is a far better comedian when he stops trying and realize he is far funnier being himself rather than over-the top characters (like the awful 'Billy Madison')and allows his supporting cast to be goofy.

My 10 year old son is a huge fan of all the SNL (90s)crew and their movies, and loved this even more than '50 first dates'. The wedding singer appeals to the those waiting to feel that way about someone and those of us who feel that way right now about someone.

The 'knockers' of this flick would be those that can only relate to the dumped 'Robbie Hart', or have no heart at all!

So if you can relate to loving and being loved (by anyone!), this film will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy. Great to watch with the whole family!!

Just had to add...being a teenager in the 80's probably helped my endearment to this movie.

To date,Sandler's best work.

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
22 June 2004

I've said it before,Adam Sandler does not do great films.He merely wants to entertain us.Though there are times when he has failed miserably,this is not the case with The Wedding Singer.While it does showcase Sandler's usual juvenile humor,this is by far his most likable character,even to date,and the chemistry between him and Drew Barrymore is undeniable. Though this film is not flawless by any means,it is funny and charming just the same.

Awww, the 80's :)

Author: lilcutie18613 from United States
27 July 2005

Adam Sandler plays Robbie Hart, a wedding singer with only enough money to get by. He was going to get married, but Linda, his fiancé', doesn't show up, and finally confronts him saying that she was having second thoughts. Drew Barrymore plays Julia Sullivan, a shy girl engaged to the wrong man. They meet when Julia is waitressing at the place Robbie works at. They are instantly friends and get along quite well.

This simple plot is expanded by the great and memorable characters and the actors who portray the roles. It is funny and has plenty of memorable lines. And if this isn't enough for you to shout "WAHOO!" the chemistry between Julia and Robbie is right on and I'm surprised they aren't dating in real life. This is a great romantic comedy so just watch it without any questions! It has become one of my favorites.

Funny Singer!

Author: moonlyn music from Toronto, Canada
4 August 2005

This quirky film has everything- lots and lots of comedy, a nice touch of romance, some violence and a hint of sadness now and again. Oh and it also stars 2 of the most charming actors- Drew Barrymore, as Julia and Adam Sandler, as Robbie. Their on-screen chemistry is very remarkable to watch and their individual charm is most appealing. The movie is set in the 80's and is a great nostalgic piece for that time period- in all is cheesiness and glory! Sandler as the Wedding Singer will surprise you with his musical talents. And musicians who have run the gamut of various music-related jobs will have extra giggles. And of course Barrymore will dazzle you with her cuteness and poise. This movie will leave you in stitches! And a must see!!!

Sweet

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
30 April 2000

The Wedding Singer is the first Adam Sandler flick that guys can take their girlfriends to see. It is a nice (and funny) comedy about a guy (wedding singer Sandler) who has been dumped by his fiancee and is soon falls in love with (waitress) Drew Barrymore who is also engaged, but isn't in love either. It is a nice comedy that almost comes close to a romantic comedy. Steve Buscemi, Jon Lovitz, and best of all, Billy Idol. A+

Page 1 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]