IMDb > Tarzan (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tarzan

Tarzan More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 28: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

About Soundtrack

Author: Carlos Alberto from Brazil
18 September 2014

This film marked my childhood, and I'm sure that many people, its soundtrack is one of the best I've heard, the Brazilian version is simply perfect. Disney could do simply one of the most exciting movies I've ever seen. In my childhood I listened to their music a lot, and today I listen to Tarzan, with one of the best national singers, Ed Motta can reach the hearts of those who listen to their music, and the lyrics of the songs of this movie were very well translated version Brazilian film. I recommend this movie to all children, and people who would like to relive your childhood once again, it is a very good and touching movie.

A childhood favourite and my first time in a movie theatre

Author: joebrian55 from Nova Scotia, Canada
16 June 2012

Ever since my Mom took me along with my older brother, his friend and the friend's mom when he turned 6, I have held this movie very dear to me. I was 3 years old, about a few months before my 4th birthday, at the time and while I continue to wonder how I sat through the movie without having to be removed from the theatre, I have since managed to sit through outings at the movies.

I admire the artwork, especially the blend of traditional animation and CGI, the music, the story and the voice acting. The decision to cast British actors to play Porter, Jane and Clayton is very well-suited, particularly Nigel Hawthorne who was also in The Black Cauldron, another childhood favourite.

According to my mom, when we saw this in the theatre, I loved watching the end credits to the point where we had to wait until they were through so we could go home. Now I adore the songs performed by Phil Collins in this movie.

Now we have the soundtrack CD, bought sometime after we saw it and when this movie came out on VHS in 2000, my mom and I went out and got it. Unfortunately, I stopped watching it after several viewings at home because it was too scary. When I was little, if a movie ever scared me, I decided the easiest thing to do was avoid it for as long as I possibly could. But when I was reaching adolescence, I went back and re-watched this movie and now it is once again one of my favourites.

On the other hand, I would not recommend this for anyone under 5-7. There is some violence, a lot of fights, Kerchak tends to go into rages which may frighten kids, the opening scene and of course any scene with Sabor the leopard. Seriously. I urge you, if you're a parent, babysitter, grandparent or elder relative, to watch this movie before you let any children watch it and if so, watch it with them.

All in all, this movie deserves 10 out of 10 for all the right reasons. ... If I could, though, I'd rate this 100/100.

Another Disney classic based on the character by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
21 April 2012

After such great Disney hits like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Mulan, Disney tried on another original story based on the Tarzan character by Edgar Rice Burroughs and boy did they succeed. It tells how Tarzan came to the jungle and how he came to be the protector of the gorilla family by any means necessary.

The story is very original with some emotionally touching moments that would make you cry and some intense dark moments. The songs by Phil Collins are great with "Two Worlds", "Strangers Like Me", and "You'll Be In My Heart" as the best. The characters are great and the interactions between them are pretty good. Tarzan is a great character with a darker back-story as a baby when his parents got killed by the cheetah. Jane, the love interest, is so beautiful and likable to enjoy and so was her father Professor Porter. The sidekicks including Terk and Tantor are funny and likable. Kerchak and Kala are also pretty good with their great interactions with Tarzan.

I hate to say this, but the only character that I hated the most was the villain Clayton, who was by far the worst Disney villain I've ever seen. The voice actor for him wasn't that bad, but the character itself kind of bothered me. He just wants to find and bring all of the gorillas from the island to get money and it kind of reminded me of Govenor Ratcliffe. It's the Pocahontas villain all over again! His personality was boring and even his Dialogue is also boring. It would've been better if Disney made the cheetah (who killed a baby ape and Tarzan's parents) into a Shere-Khan type villain and that would be cool. Instead we get a greedy human male villain trying to get rich and boy what a complete letdown for a villain! With the villain out of the way, everything else turned out great. The animation is unbelievably amazing with some creating surfing on the tree vines that Tarzan (I was like, "Wow! That was awesome and creative! Great job, Disney!" when I saw that scene) along with some nice visuals. The music from Mark Macina is also pretty good with a great mixture of drama, emotion, suspense, and adventure all together and the pacing well-done.

The voice actors are flawless and excellent. Tony Goldwyn did great as Tarzan, Minnie Driver did awesome as Jane, Glenn Close did great as Kala, Lance Henriksen did very good as Kerchak, Rosie O Donnell and Wayne Knight were hilarious as Terk and Tantor, Nigel Hawthorne (who later died in December 26, 2001) did very well as Professor Porter and Brian Blessed was very decent as Clayton.

Overall, despite the weak Disney villain, Tarzan is by no means a classic that would always be watched again and again to fans of Disney young and old.

I really enjoyed it!

Author: Robert from United States
8 April 2012

This was one of those types of movies that, sure couldn't happen or the things that happen were very fictional. However, it's a Disney movie and so I accept some fiction in their reality.

The film basically consists of a baby boy who is raised in the jungle and becomes a jungle crazy type guy. He is named Tarzan. Soon humans come to check out the animals and he ends up interacting with them.

The only thing I found odd was that he and the girl somehow fell in love so quickly without knowing anything about each other. Sure, it's possible to fall in love at first site, but a shirtless guy from the jungle whom I'm sure smelled a lot worse than we see on TV.

But anyway, that's my only real gripe on the movie, if anything.

I rate this 8/10.

Great for kids and adults

Author: brodlimmel from United States
8 August 2011

Tarzan is one of those Disney movies that you can enjoy as a kid and really appreciate it as an adult. This movie starts out real emotional with Tarzans parents being eaten alive by a tiger and then shows how an ape who recently lost her baby to that same tiger. That right there hooked me into this emotional but fun story. The whole story is about fitting in and really finding out who you are.

The score done by Mark Mancina is fantastic those songs really help bring the mood of the story and even make a good montage.

Now I'm no animator but some of the animation is really cool especially saying how old this is I was sitting there thinking wow that's pretty damn cool.

The voice acting is great there are some faults with the characters themselves but that would mean me nit picking.

Now as someone who doesn't care for the cliché endings yes this one has it but it is for kids so what you expect. Overall this is a great film if you haven't seen it go see it and if you have see it again no harm in that.

Edgar Rice Burroughs tale gets the Disney treatment...results are lively

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
3 August 2011

Three screenwriters (Tab Murphy, Bob Tzudiker, and Noni White) ably put the proverbial Disney stamp on the now-legendary Edgar Rice Burroughs story, and the King of the Jungle has never looked so good. Fast-moving, colorful animated adventure with Tony Goldwyn as the voice of Tarzan is full of comedy, romance, and songs (the latter courtesy Phil Collins, who performs some wonderful early tunes before lapsing into a repetitive spiral). The usual jokey sidekicks (de rigueur in the company's '90s output), as well as the rushed conclusion, do not detract from a lavishly-designed and sweetly-told tale. There's genuine awe and excitement in the presentation, making "Tarzan" one of the finest Disney efforts of this era. *** from ****

If Disney's an amusement park of films this is the roller-coaster.

Author: wwe7961 from United States
18 August 2010

This is not one of the best from Disney, but it is the biggest animated thrill ride they have ever made. Action sequences for the time were insanely good. Although it isn't just great action sequences that make it good. The music is fantastic. The songs were written, produced, and sung by Phil Collins who does an amazing job. "Two Worlds" and the other songs are really good. The characters just like any Disney movie are great. Voice acting is good from the cast. The animation still hasn't truly been beaten by Disney in my opinion even after all these years. Tarzan is very good. It is thrill ride with a lot of strength from good writing.

3 and a 1/2 out of 4

Wow...one of Disney's best!

Author: Eve from Nottinghamshire, England
16 July 2010

I first saw this film when I was 6 in the cinema. Whilst I remembered parts, like Tarzan and Jane pressing their hands together and the scene at the beginning with the burning ship, I could not appreciate the film for what it is. I also remember being quite scared too, so i' be reluctant to let an under 5 watch it. Over a decade later, older and wiser (slightly!), I can see the film for what it really is...damn good! I adored a lot, and what "Tarzan" does well, it does very, very well. The animation is nothing less than wonderful-you wouldn't think this was made in 1999 because it's fresh even now. The music, well, i've never been a Phil Collins or a Genesis fan, obviously because it's well before my time and my folks weren't fans either, but I love the music. The heartfelt "You'll Be In My Heart", the energetic "Son of Man", and the fun "Trashin' The Camp" are great. The voice cast is also great-Minnie Driver gets particular praise as Jane. The characters are great too-I, for one, actually liked Terk as a child! And then there's the story. Disney has a talent for taking classical stories and turning them into family films, and "Tarzan" is not an exception. It's a very fun adaptation, and true in terms of characterisation. My only issues are some of the characters-what is the point of Professer Porter? He brings nothing to the story-and the end, which is disappointingly weak. But I can look past that. Overall, "Tarzan" is a very good film, and a great effort from Disney. It's a shame it turned a bit stale after this one (apart from Pixar's work, which are mostly fab), although some have been pretty good, like "Emperors New Groove" and-dare I say-"Treasure Planet". Give this a look, you might really like it =)

Great to look at and listen to, but formulaic and a little shallow.

Author: Christian Leonard from United States
8 June 2009

In Tarzan, the title character is adopted and raised by apes after his mother and father are killed. He feels as if he doesn't belong as he grows up, and these feelings come to the surface once humans arrive in the jungle.

The movie is beautifully animated. With lush backgrounds and creative character designs, the art style is eye-catching. Motion is fluid and a joy to watch during thrilling action sequences and Tarzan's movement like an animal.

Broadway-style singing is absent in this feature, replaced by background music that Phil Collins composed and sings. His lyrics narrate the story, and the tunes are catchy enough to stand well on their own. Voice acting is good, with Minnie Driver standing out as Jane, making her charming and likable. On the other hand, Rosie O'Donell as a gorilla named Terk is out of place and grating.

The storyline doesn't hold up well. Tarzan questioning his place among the apes is a good idea and the love story between him and Jane is cute, but neither is explored with enough depth. Comic relief sidekicks, the love story itself, and the final confrontation with the villain (who feels needless) point to a typical Disney formula. The third act with the bad guy is predictable and far too convenient.

However, Tarzan is still very entertaining, lightening things up with humor and action. It's delightful to look at, but probably won't be looked at as a classic.

One of the greatest movies in my childhood!

Author: Jaguar14 from Netherlands
21 November 2008

I was 6 years old when I first saw this and loved it with all my heart. Now, a decade later, that feeling still hasn't changed. It looks gorgeous and all the characters were fleshed out and voiced perfectly (I loved Wayne Knight's performance of the cowardly Tantor). Phil Collins' music was just beautiful (My favorite would have to be You'll be in my Heart and Son of Man). I did find the ending a little too dark for kids, and I cried when I saw Kerchak die and it still brings a tear in my eye today. Overall, if you have a chance to go watch this movie, DO IT. It's great in every single aspect you can think and you'll not be disappointed at all.