IMDb > Tarzan (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tarzan

Tarzan More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 28: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Tarzan returns to the "classic" Disney feel.

Author: GuyCC from Las Vegas, NV
7 August 1999

Everyone has their favorite Disney film(s). From more of the classic movies (Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty) to the newer films (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King), I've had more of my share. I had better find a space in there for Tarzan.

Tarzan, simply put, was amazing. The animation was the usual Disney quality (top-notch), the story didn't wander as far off track as some of the other films, and Tarzan and Jane were great characters. Minnie Driver's slightly scatterbrained twist on Jane made for a very enjoyable character, and Tarzan "surfing" through the trees and his fascination with the human world made for one of the best depictions of the character I've seen (I'm so glad they didn't use the "Me Tarzan, you Jane" cliche). I was also impressed on how well they handled the death issues in the movie. The subject wasn't dropped halfway through the film, but it wasn't constantly focused on, and what little was seen was brief.

Tarzan was a beautiful film to watch, and though many seem to criticize Phil Collins' singing, I didn't have a problem with it. I found myself wishing that the film would have gone on longer than it had.

My only complaint? I found Clayton to be too much of the stereotypical "bad guy". Sure, he was the kind of character that you could "boo" at through the film, but I would have liked to have seen more depth to him. I don't see him joining the "Great Disney Villain" pantheon anytime soon.

Even if you've been "burned" by past Disney films, this is one to see, and will easily find its place in my movie collection. Highly recommended.

Great job w/ an awesome musical score

Author: MJ1852 from USA
3 August 1999

Great animation job as always by Disney; I loved the authentic characteristics of the gorillas, the scenes in the jungle, and the other animals (the elephants were funny). Jane and her father were not very original and neither were some of the animals' personalities, but they were all likeable anyway. I want to talk about the villain next, and if you haven't seen the movie you won't want to read this yet.

The idea for the villain sort of had a new twist; for most of the movie he was just a macho, trigger-happy guy who was there to accompany the two there to study the gorillas. Usually you can tell right away who the villain in a Disney movie will be, by a certain look in their eye or a way they speak or move, but this time I was surprised. At the very beginning, when Clayton first appears, he seems like a potential villain but then I didn't think he would be, that he was really an okay guy. Although he seemed a little anxious to shoot something, I thought it was just because he was trying to look big and impress Jane -- not because he was really a bad person. But he fooled me well. I was disappointed in him but not in Disney's job on his character; I liked the way they did it.

One of the best things about this movie was the music -- it was probably the best since "The Lion King"'s musical score. It is very fitting w/ the mood in the jungle.

Good clean fun.

Author: Jack-248 from Portland, Oregon
23 July 1999

When I saw the previews to Disney's "Tarzan" my reaction was to be wary a of "Pocahontas" style workover of a character I really enjoyed in my boyhood fiction reading. The few recent attempts to use the Tarzan character have been very disappointing. And in this case I really had/have a problem with their drawing him with a pointy chin!

However we took our daughter to the film and we all enjoyed it very much.

Only in animation can Tarzan's agility in travelling through the trees be properly depicted -- although I doubt that Edgar Rice Burroughs would have had him "surfing/skate-boarding" along the boughs if he lived long enough to see such sport.

I have a few quibbles with the film based on a fairly extensive knowledge of the original books and many Tarzan comics, but I feel that the producers made reasonable choices in just about every case. For example, the books and comics depicted Tarzan to be strong enough to win a fight against a full grown gorilla or a "great ape" as Mr. Burroughs called the apes that raised him. Obviously, in this era of "get real", Disney's choice of having Tarzan win his battles by other than brute strength is reasonable.

Good music and good story. Good clean fun!

Tarzan is great

Author: maestro-20 from Pittsburgh, PA
12 July 1999

I must admit I love Disney's animation. It's funny how people were criticizing Disney for their "formulas" and then a few years later labeled them "classics".

I think it was a great thing that Disney would follow a quietly beautiful story of honor (Mulan) with a strong heroine with an energetic, kinetic, fast paced jungle fever with a strong hero. Sure, they are both "coming of age" sort of story, but at the same time quite different.

Why do I think Tarzan is among the best Disney movie? Because I think it has the emotional weight. The love and tenderness between Kala and Tarzan brought me to tears; which is no small feat because I seldom cried at the movies. And these are animation characters! The interaction between Tarzan and Jane is genuine and funny and sexy and romantic. The weak parts were the peripheral characters, such as Clayton -- but they moved the story along. Clayton wasn't really the BIG BAD GUY like Gaston or Hade, but rather he's part of the external conflict that heightened the internal conflict within Tarzan himself -- to find out who he was and realize who his family was.

After a while I just didn't remember I was watching a cartoon. The animation was so enticing and the characters so vivid I was completely absorbed in the story and the emotions. The kids in the theater were all mesmerized! There were hardly any dull moments even for the toddlers (unlike Mulan which was almost too "boring" for really young kids). The artwork is fantastic. The music is a nice touch to move the story along... it will grow on you once you listen to the soundtrack. You won't be able to stop humming "Two World One Family"

The Best Disney Movie Since Beauty and The Beast

Author: Soujiro from Gaithersburg, MD
2 July 1999

First of all, I have not been favorably impressed with a Disney Movie since Aladdin. The primary reason is simple, I dislike childish smart-allecky Tom and Jerry gags. I don't mind joking as long as it's reasonably intelligent, above say the three year old level. But I'm not going to go into all of that.

However, Tarzan marks a potential major turning point for Disney and I absolutely love it. First of all, the movie maintains a relatively serious mood throughout its length aside from the gorilla scatting which I feel is the low point. The voice acting is wonderful, and Minnie Driver's awkward quirky Jane is the most appealing female Disney character ever. Glenn Close is perfect as Tarzan's mother as is Tony Goldwyn as Tarzan. Baby Tantor has that familiar adorable childish whine.

The voice acting would be nothing without the support of believable, straight forward, emotional, intelligent writing. This is what I am most impressed with in Tarzan. There are very few cheap laughs and one-liners which force many of their other recent movies into a "sitcom for 3 year olds" feel. The character of Clayton seems a bit tacked on but I suppose a Disney movie without a traditional villain is too much to ask for.

In another major turning point, with one minor (appropriate) exception the characters DON'T sing! Instead the music accompanies the animation allowing the characters to act more naturally and believably. All of the music fits the animation perfectly and it's clear that the animators worked hard to fit each scene to the songs' lyrics.

Finally, the most obvious advance is in the animation. The character design of Tarzan is brilliantly executed, and all of the apes are wonderfully like-like in their movements. I was a bit disappointed to see the same old Jungle Book elephant designs, but it was a minor distraction. The most impressive effect is the "deep" matte painting backgrounds composed of paintings wrapped around three dimensional surfaces allowing for very dynamic camera movements.

One thing I would like to mention offhand. This movie is NOT for babies or very small children. This is a good thing, but it does mean that children three and below will probably be somewhat frightened. Both of the times I have seen it the babies in the theater have cried.

Disney fans will be quick to see similarities between Tarzan and The Jungle Book, and personally I like both of these movies about equally. All in all, Tarzan is by far the best movie of the summer.

A very pleasant surprise.

Author: gevalher from La Paz, Bolivia
30 June 1999

Tarzan was a familiar character for me, just like an old friend. I grew up reading about his adventures in comic books and comic strips, hearing his characteristic yell on the radio, and watching his adventures on the big screen (The best Johnny Weismuller).

I was reticent to see this film, because I'm not so sure about how the Disney factory would treat this classic character. But seeing the trailer in the cinemas and on TV I've decided to give it a chance. I'm glad that I did.

This is the story of a boy left alone in the jungle, and raised by gorillas. The story of a boy who feels that don't fit to his "family". A boy raised with the love of his foster gorilla mother, and rejected by his foster "father". Then one day, he discover people of his kind, and he must confront his doubts about where he belongs. You need to see the film to get the answers.

The animation as all of the latest works from Disney, are astounding, the backgrounds are so well done that they are the another character in the film. The relation between Tarzan and his foster dad, were always tense. On the contrary the relation between he and Jane are completely delicious (this was one of my worries about the movie). The two principal human characters were well depicted, but the others doesn't get the same treat, they look more cartoonish.

The dynamic of the movements of Tarzan were dazzling, but sometimes a little unreal, (but hey, remember this is an animated movie after all). To get this a little short, this was a film with very touching moments, a lot of fun, some cameos from other animated Disney movies,and the songs of Phil Collins were great too. (I saw the spanish dubbed version, but Phil sang in Spanish!, and I know that he voiced his songs in other languages too! Wonderful!) A great movie for all the people who like films -animated or not-

Tarzan for Adults more than the kiddies.

Author: David DiBenedetto (upperairs@aol.com) from Albany, NY
28 June 1999

Tarzan is a movie for kids of all ages. Phil Collins music opens this movie up for adults and breaks the tradition of the stars having to sing. This opens the way for more action to take place. The animations are amazing and all the voices fit their animated counterparts well. I want to see this movie again and again. This is one that you won't have to find a kid to go see it with. Actually go see it with the least amount of children, so you can enjoy it better without the baby goo goo. The kids lost interest while the adults were fascinated. Go see this movie, no hype here, just pure movie.

A True Triumph for Disney and for the Lord of the Apes...

Author: Brad L. Wooldridge (HulkSmash@windstream.net) from Barry, Texas USA
26 June 1999

I was fortunate enough to see Tarzan over this last weekend, and I really didn't know what to expect. I had seen that it had fairly good reviews, but I was wary because primarily of two things: Disney and Rosie O'Donnell.

How pleasantly surprised I was! This was not only a very faithful and respectful depiction of Tarzan, but also the best animated production Disney has put together since The Little Mermaid. It featured superb animation, very realistic and very fluid, and incredible scenery and action sequences. The voice-over work was very good, as well, especially by Minnie Driver as Jane Porter, Tony Goldwyn as the Jungle Lord, and even Rosie O'Donnell as young Terk. O'Donnell's ape sidekick never once detracted from the film, and neither did Wayne Knight's Tantor the elephant.

I was very moved by this film, something that happens only rarely. When Tarzan yelled his classic jungle cry, I definitely misted up. This is the way Tarzan should always be portrayed! While many purists will see this film as diverging from the immortal E.R. Burroughs' storyline, it still shows the reverence and respect that this character has always deserved but never attained.

Very satisfying and highly recommended for children of all ages.

A pleasant step in the right direction for Disney

Author: Matt Midboe (matt@snsnet.net) from Birmingham, Alabama
26 June 1999

Tarzan is definitely an improvement over Disney's previous formula films. However, ultimately it is just that, another Disney formula film. It is no Cinderella, Snow White or even Robin Hood. Tarzan does offer a relief from the tedious song and dance numbers that plagued their previous efforts. It was enjoyable seeing them in the Little Mermaid but that was when they were new.

Tarzan continues the transparent story tradition Disney has enjoyed so much. I find myself yearning for the intriguing story lines and characters that a movie like The Secret of Nimh had in it. Tarzan offers the same Disney formula of new found love interest, sinister character challenges love interest, hero defeats sinister character, two unite in ever lasting bliss. Let's see other Disney cliches in action: short, rotund characters offer comic relief and tall, skinny characters are the thoughtful, strong brooding ones. Etc.

Where this film truly shines, and it shines so very brightly is the animation. Disney continues to up the bar for animated movies. I've never seen so many layers of scrolling. They give the backgrounds incredible depth. The very kinetic camera work in various scenes is reminiscent of something the Coen brothers or Peter Jackson might have devised. The voice casting was very good as well. I feel Lance Henriksen was particularly well cast. This is definitely a step in the right direction, one can only hope that Disney will follow their own lead here.

Hmmm... Not bad...

Author: Anthony Einsel from Hastings, Nebraska
26 June 1999

Tarzan is yet another triumph (not powerful) from Disney. The characters seemed well thought up and played well from the actors. Goldwyn supplies a nice voice of Tarzan, Knight and O'Donnell supply appealing kids voices, Driver gives a nice British standoff as Jane, Close was good as the motherly Kala, and Hawthorne didn't seem so bad as Professor Porter. An amazing thing also is that the animation is top notch from the usual bunch as we see panoramic views of Tarzan swinging and surfing through vines. There are many things that made this movie also different. There isn't much musical interludes like the usual (total in movie: 3). It seemed pretty violent, like the fight against a leopard or blood of a mauling of parents. Then there's the haunting figure of a man's shadow that looks like he was hung. It may be different from other Disney films but it was good. Hopefully we don't get a rehashed sequel from this...