IMDb > Tarzan (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tarzan

Tarzan More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 27: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

Great entertainment for everyone

Author: Tom Black (tomtblack@webtv.net) from Boardman, Ohio
23 June 1999

Tarzan is a near perfect film for the entire family. It has comedy, drama, a soundtrack that fits well with what happening on the screen, feelings and emotions, and it's fun. The animators outdid themselves. The background scenery was stunning and lifelike. The opening scenes were well written and emotionally satisfying (I think it unfair to be specific). The scene in which Tarzan morphs from a child to an adult was visually brilliant. The choice of Tony Goldwyn as Tarzan's voice was excellent. It had a warmth and vulnerability that brought a new dimension to the obvious physicality of the apeman. The other outstanding voice selection was Glenn Close who voiced Kala, Tarzan's ape mother. She brought real feelings of sensitivity and nurturing. There were times when my eyes got moist (yes I'm an old softy). At other times the action sequences had you feeling as if riding a roller coaster. Great! Probably the only weakness in the film was the obligatory villain and that subplot which neither added or took away from the film but just seemed tacked on. All in all, Tarzan is a great movie and should be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated. Three and half stars!!!

Disney outdo itself, again.

Author: Patrick Brogan from Glendale, Arizona, U.S.A.
23 June 1999

With their animated films of the 90's, Disney had some great films, "HUNCHBACK," "HERCULES," and "BEAUTY & THE BEAST." And they had some so-so films, "ALADDIN," "LION KING," and "MULAN." Now with their newest film, "TARZAN" you can put this film on the good animated films, as it's one of Disney's best animated film of all time! The film is based on the classic Edward Rice Burrow stories about the young man brought up by a family of apes, since the death of his parents when he was a child. The young child, named Tarzan, spends his young life adapting to accept the difference that he his unlike his adopted parents and his friends because he looks different, and he's hairless. Now Tarzan realizes that their are other creatures that are just like him, and they are humans. Tarzan saves the life of one of these humans, named Jane. Tarzan realizes that he is not alone in the world, and grows a romantic relationship with Jane. As Jane also falls in love with Tarzan, and wants to see the world that he was brought up in. Jane is accompany by her father, Porter, and a evil hunter named Clayton. While Porter wants to see the apes living habitat. Clayton wants to capture and kill the apes for a profit. Leave it to Disney to make a wonderful and exciting animated film with a strong message. With such morals as getting along with different races, supporting animal rights, and preserving the environment. The voice talent in this film are great. With talents by Tony Goldwyn, Minne Driver, Nigel Hawthorne, Lance Hernikensen, Brian Blessed, Wyane Knight, and Rosie O' Donnell, they all do a great job of giving the proper voices for thier characters. But it's the talent and heart of Glenn Close that makes part of this movie a masterpiece. When she did the voice of the mother of Homer Simpson, you feel that she has the perfect mother figure voice. Doing the voice of Tarzan's ape mother, you actually don't see her as an ape, but as a caring mother. The other strong aspect of this film is the relationship between Tarzan and Jane. Their chemistry is the best romance that I have seen since TITANIC. They really do click together, and you want the both of them to care for each other. And what makes Jane great is that she is a mixture of a classic lady, and a free spirted modern woman. One surprising thing about this film is that this film is violent!! I was surprised to see so many deaths in this film. It has more deaths than BAMBI!!! And yet you don't see any of the actual deaths, you do get the idea on what happen, and so would the kids. But don't let that stop you from going to the movie. Overall, this is an excellent animated film, and of course, it takes Disney to achieve such a wonderful adaptation of the Burrow classic story. This is one of Disney's best animated films of all time! Right next to FANTASIA, BEAUTY & THE BEAST, and HERCULES. ***** (out of *****)

exciting stuff for the little people

Author: Shawn Hobbs (shobbs@kcentv.com) from Temple, Texas
23 June 1999

"Tarzan" is a very energetic and colorful Disney flick that takes Burroughs' classic character and follows ol' Walt formula tried and true.

Not among the very best Disney ("Lion King", "Beauty & The Beast", etc.); because it values it's breathtaking excitement over it's story...and a bit too heavy on the hip, but out of place contemporary pop culture references. Nontheless, perfect for it's little people target audience.

Do NOT wait for this to come out on video ...

Author: Doug Phillips (janabro@aol.com) from Seattle, Washington
23 June 1999

From the opening sequence to the end of the credits, this is a masterpiece...

This is a great movie with incredible animation and music.

Phil Collins did a magnificent job on the music. Not any real catchy or hummable tunes but the songs that are there make the story complete.

I do not like going to a film with an audience full of children but because this movie is so entertaining all the children (three-fourths of the audience) were totally mesmerized.

The animation was breathtaking.

I happened to run into Joe Pantoliano (Matrix) right after the movie and he was as thrilled as I was.

Only the people in this film were cartoonish ... the apes and the jungle were more than real ... I was thrilled.

The way violence was handled was brilliant -- there was never any blood -- except in one of the very early scenes and it would be missed by most people.

All death was handled discretely -- with all of it happening off screen -- with one exception.

This movie may be too intense for young children but I highly recommend it for adults.

remake of the classic story

Author: dietrich-3 from Kansas
22 June 1999

Excellent animation on the Tarzan character and great mood music by Phil Collins... a nice remake of a classic, my boys loved it.

Enjoyed very much

Author: digger-14 from Salt Lake City Utah
21 June 1999

Everyone in the family would enjoy this movie. I just sat back with a smile, wishing again that I could be like Tarzan. Swinging along with Jane doing my Tarzan yell. Go see it.

Great Movie

Author: Scott Frey (amyscott@epix.net) from Lancaster PA
21 June 1999

My wife and I saw it last night and we loved it. The animation is amazing - Disney just keeps topping itself. Great story - it was funny and full of action. A couple of scary/suspenseful scenes for a "G", but the kids seem to react to it differently than adults - doesn't seem to bother them. A definite must see for any age.

Excellent!

Author: anonymous from Texas
21 June 1999

One of the best Disney animations in a long time! It brought out such emotion as I watched. And there was lots of action. I could see my child at the edge of her seat waiting for what was going to happen next. Excellent movie!

Lots of Ooo's and AAAAA-AaAaaaa's!!

Author: redfrog from USA
21 June 1999

Tarzan is certainly an excellent film. The animation is superb and the visual computer effects are stunning. The soundtrack sticks in your head for a long long time. I admit my favorite part was when Tarzan was with Jane, experiencing his own species. The family values presented are that of loving mothers and fathers. Kala loves Tarzan even though she knows he's not her biological son. Prof. Porter loves Jane and helps her to let her heart decide about Tarzan. I've seen it twice already and I want to see it again! Definitely a MUST SEE for parents and a MUST BUY for me! =)

The best Disney movie I've seen in ages

Author: BENARES-2 from United States
21 June 1999

When I first saw the ad for this movie, I was totally breathless at the fantastic animation shown -- could they keep it up for the entirety of the movie, I asked myself. Also in the forefront of my mind was the nasty habit Disney had shown to me over the past eight years of providing beautiful animation but tremendously bad story, so I was expecting more of the same. And then I saw this movie. Yes, they certainly proved they could keep up the adrenaline-pumping animation for the full length of the feature. And more amazingly, this story was great! It was extremely enjoyable, with very little of the kid-i-fied scenes that made "Hercules" a sickening experience for me. It actually seemed more adult-oriented than many other American animated features I had seen, and yet did a good job of not being gory or horrifically violent. The fact that this movie was not a musical like every other Disney movie was a welcome break, too. Overall, a great show for all ages (I mean it)! Go see it!