IMDb > Tarzan (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tarzan

Tarzan More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Wow!! An 11 out of 10, if possible...

Author: Carolynn Marie (c4arobin@aol.com) from New York, New York
5 July 1999

... or no, a 15, maybe.

This is right up there with 'The Lion King' and 'Mulan'. I had the treat to see this last night, and through it all, even the toddlers in the theater loved it! People have said this is a breakthrough animation-wise, but story-wise, this is like mind-blowing. Tarzan himself is the first truly deep Disney male character since ... I can't think of a really deep Disney male character, except perhaps Simba from The Lion King. Tarzan has everything that makes you realize that, though he's raised by apes, he's truly human, and even his upbringing can't hide that (C'mon, if you were raised your whole life thinking you were an ape, and then suddenly find out you're really something else, wouldn't you also be disturbed?)

From the first to the last scene was awesome. Tarzan and the ape Kala's backgrounds were told briefly, poignantly, and emotionfully. There's (intelligent) humor and love, which only add to the film, and there's an obvious love between Tarzan and Jane. Someone here said they're not in love, that it's obvious, but I have to strongly disagree. The scenes between them are funny and give you a feeling that there's a strong attraction (and not just because Jane's interested in studying apes). And even Jane's father, though he's a small background character, he helps the plot along, and while you'd describe him as "dithering", he has his own funny bone (When Jane is describing Tarzan to him by drawing a picture on a blackboard, she starts to go on about his 'wonderful eyes', and in the midst of her daydream, her father comments, "Would you like me to give you and the blackboard some private time?" Riot!).

No, Clayton's not a Jafar or a Gaston, but he's not really the enemy here; he's just an antagonist to help along Tarzan's inner conflict. The real enemy would be Tarzan's battling against his 'true' world (the one with humans) and the one he's grown up with (the one with apes). Clayton just resembles a threat to Tarzan's ape family. In the past, villains were a direct challenge to the hero; here, he is a threat, sure, but he's not the whole movie here. I like it better this way. In real life, there's rarely a big evil soul against you, and Clayton seems like a realistic greedy, nasty guy, rather than the cliche megolamincal weirdos of most animated features.

I loved Phil Collins. And while it's great hearing Ariel sing, I think background music was better for this particular movie. I couldn't see Jane or Tarzan singing; it makes the whole thing almost unrealistic.

Tarzan himself was wonderful! Charismatic, emotional, outgoing, and at the same time, goofy and boyish. The scenes between him and his ape mother, Kala, were so tender. I haven't seen such wonderful emotions in live-action movies. And even Kerchak ... let me tell you something about him. Even my mom said he was real. I don't think he was too mean. He felt threatened by Tarzan's presence. It wasn't out of superiority. When Kala first shows baby Tarzan to him, Kerchak is worried about the existence of other humans in the jungle, which might endanger his family of apes. He only worries about his family, too, and I suspect that, while he keeps a stoic face over the death of his own baby ape in the beginning of the movie, he's not ready to adopt another baby (if one of your kids died, would you be so willing to adopt another right away? I know I wouldn't).

The Lion King, Mulan, and Tarzan all have the same thing in common; they all show true emotion and character, unlike the basic fairy tale fluff like Cinderella and Bambi (nothing against fairy tales, but I like to see true-to-life stuff, you know?).

This is a must-see. If Disney keeps this up, adults may start to change their views of animated stuff. It ain't just for lil' kids anymore! :)

One of Disney's Best

Author: DanB-4 from Canada
25 July 1999

The true measure of a family film is to watch a child's reaction. My (normally jumpy) three-year-old sat with enraptured glee through this movie and was able to articulate the plot back to me with amazing detail. That's not a parent's rambling, its a credit to a brilliant movie. Tarzan ranks just below Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid in the list of the best of Disney's new films.

Disney formula (rogue orphan, evil villain pretending to be a friend, whacky sidekick, neurotic friend and lots a snappy tunes) has never been more apparent, but it works perfectly. But the real joy of this movie is its breathtaking beauty and the message of living without prejudice.

Don't expect anything new from Disney, and do not expect a detailed retelling of the original novel. But do expect to see their product refined even further and at its best since Beauty and the Beast. This is a kid's movie, but any grown-up can like it. Minnie Driver and Wayne Knight provide the best voice overs.

As my six-year-old daughter told me once, "I like movies with scary beginnings, silly middles and happy endings." Needless to say, she loved Tarzan. **** out of ****.

Disney's best animated film in 45 years - a wonder.

Author: Arne Andersen (aandersen@landmarkcollege.org) from Putney, VT
25 February 2000

As much as I admired the regeneration of the Disney animators in the eight films produced since and including THE LITTLE MERMAID, the formula got to be pretty static and predictable. I couldn't see the hoopla for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST as an Oscar nommed Best Film. It was like all the others. However, I feel that the studio's latest, TARZAN, does deserve a best film nom. Why? It's thoroughly integrated, non-formulaic, and is the first Disney animated film to have a grown man as its hero (all the others have had heroines, animals, or teenage males - Aladdin and Quasimodo - as its centers). Tarzan's issues involve an identity crisis and a social adjustment disorder and he's far more intelligent and clever than any of the human actors who have portrayed him thus far. The personalities of the leads are beautifully fleshed out - Jane is complex, funny and intelligent. Tarzan is anything but one dimensional. The score (both the songs and the background scoring) is exceptional as is the sound. The animation is amazing - especially the flying through the vines of the forest and lighting hits a new high. The gorillas are beautifully and naturally brought to life. I'm going out of my way to hype this film to everyone I know. It's a true classic - a gem.

Excellent Disney fare. One of the best.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
28 October 2003

Okay. They rewrote the whole legend. But Disney has an unerring way of doing that. Anyone remember Pocahontas? They even changed Cinderella, Snow White, and every other Disney Masterpiece sitting on your shelves, so why does it matter that this, too, was changed?

It matters on several different levels, but the most important reason it matters is because Disney, in their positioning among the children's entertainment market, is in the unique position to actually teach these legends, these snippets of history, these morals and ethics, to the children of their audiences, rather than proffering sugar-coated, merchandized over-glorifications in exchange for the great American dollar.

That having been said, this is still an entertaining introduction to the legend, but I highly suggest "Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes," (1984), directed by Hugh Hudson. It is the most faithful adaptation I've ever seen, and a highly enjoyable adventure, which carries a PG rating and is safe for most ages to view.

A lot has been said about the deep canvas effect used throughout the jungle scenes, and I must admit that I found the technique highly effective and extremely well done. I do computer graphics myself, and I was very impressed with the 3D effects throughout, including the water variants and textures used in the ship scenes, the fire effects used in the jungle, and the smoke effects from the guns used by the poachers. The textures and backgrounds were absolutely stunning, and for me, as a graphics artist, that's what I look for when I view a quality animation.

Very good endeavor.

It rates an 8/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Animated Tarzan A Pleasant Surprise

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
22 August 2006

I found this surprisingly good because not only was animation well done - which they all seem to be in the past decade - but an involving, action-packed story that was interesting start-to-finish. The action is not overdone, however. The color in here is magnificent and it looks spectacular on DVD.

The film turned out to be a good combination of drama, action, comedy and romance. I would think this would be a little too frightening, however, for little kids, for those wondering about that. The only negative I had was listening to the grating voice of Rose O'Donnell. That, and her New York City, accent, is definitely not appealing. Otherwise, I have nothing but good things to say about this film.

Mmmmmmm... Apey.

Author: Brian Orndorf from Minneapolis
29 May 1999

Animated Disney films always seem to be the same in hindsight. It's only when the directors get the inclination to try something bigger that the films achieve a legendary status. It's been ten years since this new Disney renaissance began with "The Little Mermaid", the new "Tarzan" represents exactly what is wrong and what is so very right with the Mouse House's approach to the animated features.

During these last ten years, the studio has learned what's worked, and what doesn't. Disney always plays it safe. The "Tarzan" opening is very similar to the mega-successful "The Lion King". They compress the entire backstory into a 10 minute opening, and it works like a charm. We all have to admit that Phil Collins hasn't done anything substantial in the last ten years as well, yet his songs for this new film are spot on. They narrate the film and guide the audience perfectly through this loose adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs novel. Having been weaned on poor character songs throughout the years, it's deliciously blasphemous to not have to sit through 5 or 6 god awful musical numbers that even the composers don't seem to like. It brings an unexpected freshness to this well-known material. With "Tarzan", Disney is taking on a character and story that has gone through countless adaptations. This animated approach seems to fit just right. By not having to rely on a physically impressive (but poorly expressive) actor, the animators have created the most believable Tarzan yet. He glides through the jungle with ease, dragging behind his the well worn knuckles of an ape-man. It's probably one of Disney's most impressive creations, even though it is one so renowned. Tony Goldwyn brings the voice of Tarzan to life with unexpected sweetness. While used sparingly, Goldwyn manages to capture the character with ease. I also enjoyed Minnie Driver's spunky voice for Jane, making her the most palatable animated heroine since Lady. Rosie O'Donnell is about as grating as you might suspect and Glenn Close is perfect as Tarzan's ape mother. It's the villain that Disney needs to work on. While watching "Tarzan" you can easily feel that the addition of the bad guy is superfluous. He's just there because the filmmakers think we can't go without it. They're dead wrong. The flick is filled with lush visuals (courtesy of the more prominent GCI work), grand music, and a strong story. We don't need forced conflict. The conflict within is what "Tarzan" is all about. The rogue brings the film down more than it should. Coming out of "Tarzan" I had feelings I haven't felt from a Disney production in some time. I was moved by the material, shockingly filled with emotion. I came out of the theater humming the music, not an easy thing in the years of "Mulan" and "Hunchback". I also came out impressed that Disney might be making baby steps to a new and brighter future of animated films. I look forward to it. ------------ 7

Chimp champ

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
23 September 1999

This is a great film, it moves right along fast, has great characters, action, voice, music is just right, great animation, you name it. Lives up to the Tarzan heritage and then some. I highly recommend this one.

Definitely something to jump up and down about.

fantastic

Author: ross robinson from england
27 July 2004

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr That is the main phrase of what Tarzan uses when trouble is about to come. I did enjoy this movie, every minute of it, it was made in 1999, i think it was is the first ever tarzan movie to be made into a catoon and to be made by Disney. I you like this movie then i am pretty sure you will like Tarzan and Jane because that concludes the next part of Tarzan of what he gets up to this time in the jungle and what missions he does. I give this movie 10 out of 10 because i think it's brilliant. I hope they will make a 3rd Tarzan movie, it would be great to see Tarzan as a daddy. Who know what the future will hold, i hope there will be another movie because Tarzan is so cool.

Fun Animation, Character Voices and Music

Author: noralee from Queens, NY
21 December 2005

I loved "Tarzan"!

I was afraid that Disney would cheap out on the romance but there was enough in it for me.

I liked the Phil Collins drums, but wasn't crazy about his voice throughout the whole film (nor were the restless toddlers in the audience), rather than character voices singing.

The animation was wonderful,incorporating computers and gels.

The elephant was too much like Horton Hears A Who, but Rosie O'Donnell's voicing of the ape friend was wonderful.

(originally written 7/12/1999)

As of this writing, the best film of 1999.

Author: flipcritic from Manila, Philippines
11 July 1999

This movie draws a sense of awe throughout the entire story. Though its plot may be formulaic, it executes better than any other formulaic movie this year. This is the best animated film I have seen in the last 5 years since "The Lion King". The images are absolutely wonderful to look at. The music by Phil Collins is so powerful that it energizes the whole movie making you feel emotionally charged all throughout. I feel this film could have never been made in live action, since it gives a totally new perspective on what Tarzan may actually have been like, his movement, his upbringing, and most of all, his interaction with jungle family. The musical sequences by the gorillas were silly, but entertaining (it is a Disney film isn't it?). And Tarzan's movement through the jungle is so spectacular that it makes Aladdin's flying carpet escape from the lamp's abyss seem pale in comparison.

Though most of Tarzan's leaping, swinging, and tree surfing seem unrealistic, we have to keep in mind that this is an animated film, and since it is Disney's, thrills will be expected. Tarzan delivers exciting thrills, fills you with awe through the entire film, without sacrificing the story and the underlying theme. This is a WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL FILM. Go see it.

If you have to decide between Star Wars I and Tarzan, it's no contest... Tarzan is the film Star Wars I should have been.

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]