IMDb > Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Trek: Insurrection

Star Trek: Insurrection More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 52:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Whoever said this was the worst Star Trek film is so wrong!

Author: boyinflares from New Zealand
30 September 2006

In my personal opinion, and as an avid Next Generation fan, without a doubt "Insurrection" is one of the best Star Trek films, and the third outing for Picard, Riker, Deanna and the rest of the Next Generation crew stays most true to their esteemed television series. This time round, the crew are faced with a violation of the Prime Directive and whether or not the 600 people who live on a literal planet-of-youth are more important than the millions of other people that could benefit from the planet's regenerative powers. Action, drama, comedy and romance follow in true Star Trek spectacular.

As always Patrick Stewart is in top form as Captain Picard who leads the Star Trek resistance to save the innocents from one of his own corrupt superiors Vice Admiral Dougherty (played terrifically by Anthony Zerbe) who are involved with some aliens (including F. Murray Abraham's Ad'har). Along the way Picard finds a new friend in Anij (played by the lovely Donna Murphy), one of the Ba'ku, and a little romance follows.

Jonathan Frakes once again directs and does an outstanding job, though it does mean his character Commander Riker gets a bit less screen time, though he is always a pleasure to watch. Riker's relationship with Commander / Counsellor Deanna Troi heats up in this film (and it's about time too!) Marina Sirtis of course returns as the lovely Troi and gets a fairly good amount of screen time this time round, and certainly most of the comical moments. Frakes and Sirtis have great chemistry together.

Brent Spinter's Data gets (as usual) too much screen time, again his story consists of his quest to become more human and the like, though he does befriend a Ba'ku child which was done quite well. As usual Gates McFadden (Dr. Beverly Crusher), Michael Dorn (Lt. Commander Worf) and LeVar Burton (Lt. Commander LaForge) are given very little to do in the Star Trek films, and this one is no exception, though at least Worf and LaForge got their own small story lines - Worf had to go through puberty again and LaForge found himself with the ability to see. Beverly however only gets a "storyline" involving her boobs firming up. Terrific. Poor Gates must be the most under-appreciated actress in all of Star Trek, but also the most gracious for returning each time.

The special effects of "Star Trek: Insurrection" are above average, and the music score is really well done. Often its the small moments in the Next Generation films that are the best, and this one is no different, but at least the big moments are good too. I think the "Star Trek the Next Generation" films are probably the only action-type films in which the heroes are all (with the exception of Marina Sirtis) in their 50's and people still want to watch them. Quite interesting too that a main theme of the movie was the eternal youth. At least when the sad time comes that the Next Generation cast are no longer alive, they will be immortalised in history by their much loved characters and beautiful stories, just like "Insurrection".

Take An Ethics Class; Please!!!!

Author: garthbarnes-62014 from United States
26 May 2015

Spoilers Ahead:

Remember all the people who laugh at philosophers? How useless we are; we contribute nothing to our society. Here is my contribution; the film bombed for one reason. Even non philosophers have a God given sense of right and wrong that tells them whether something is intrinsically wrong. No, Anij if you possess something that would help billions of people who are suffering you are not entitled to your own little narcissistic paradise, sorry. The total moral revulsion at self love, this deep, with Picard babbling about how, because these reasonings can be difficult, it somehow follows that we are not entitled to make them. NON SEQUITUR Sorry, chrome dome, doctors, nurses, firemen and policemen make these decisions every day. We know you are too cowardly to allow reality within your little, narcissistic dreamland, where you hide, like the cowards you are, from the harsh truths of life. They were not even indigenous to that planet, not that it would have made any difference.

Frakes had hit a home run with First Contact, why I never know, this took care of his career as a director. The thing about psychotic narcissism it really does not notice that any other living beings or their boundless suffering exists. No, just so Anij can live within the beats of her heart; she simply never hears the screams of the suffering around her. What little children they are happy in their safe little playhouse. Pity the two great actors working in this pile of crap: Zerbe and Abraham. Poor F. Murray, it is a long way from Salieri!!

The film features cringe worthy moments even for Star Trek and that is saying something. The Gilbert and Sullivan sing a long made me see if there were any sharp edges on the seat I could slash my wrists with. TNG crew here is a news flash for you; you cannot act and your movies suck as bad as your overrated TV show. Their humanism is always so taxing; the philosophy requires a historical lobotomy all the horrors present and past humans have and are perpetrating must be expunged. Fear, fear of the truth always haunts them as they run into Disneyland never to return to reality again. Imagine, you could relieve the suffering of trillions but this handful of self loving pigs are entitled. Gee, do you think that might reflect people in 1997? Actually, no the film was a huge bomb; I applaud the common American people, who while not philosophers, know disgusting selfishness when they hear and see it. Q.E.D.

Its not as bad as some say.

Author: Daniel J Taylor (dan_pacino1) from Napier, New Zealand
3 June 2001

Don't let some of the bad reviews for this film put you off watching it. I finally got around to watching it last week and I must say that It was no where near as bad as what some people have said about it. In-fact I thought it was pretty good. It's not the best Star Trek film but it's not the worst either. Some people have criticized it by saying that it looks like an extended television episode- All the films except 'the motion picture' have - what's the point of changing the television look and feel when it is so good? The one time they did try to change it from the episode feel (the motion picture) it was crap. Come on people, this is Star Trek - what were you expecting - this was not meant to be another Shawshank Redemption. I like this film so I'm going to give it 8 out of 10 because I don't care what other people say.

Genuinely Entertaining. What a movie!

Author: Andrew Hobson (lucozade@netcomuk.co.uk) from Chester, England
7 January 1999

I would say that this movie rivals the skill of the first "Next Generation" movie, First Contact. If anything, the dialogue is more refined and the humour, of which there is a great deal, is well timed and raised smiles at suitable points in the movie. Many have criticised the writers for either making the humour too silly or, for not daring to take the jokes to the belly-laugh level. Personally, I think the film is richer for the homour, which seems natural, not forced, and generally hit its targets. After all though, it's not a comedy.

Insurrection is a movie which displays far more humanity than the cold, but nevertheless enthralling, First Contact. To compare the movies is difficult, as they are very different, and opinions will inevitably clash. Both movies have a different agenda, I think.

I would dare to say that Insurrection would do a better job at converting people to the Star Trek "cause" than would any of the other films. Before watching, I knew little about Star Trek, and it really stoked my interest in the series. In evaluating Insurrection I realised that the film has several outstanding set-pieces, some of which are very memorable, such as the high-speed chase between Picard and Data through the cloud layers, with The Captain trying to coax Data into performing a scene from Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore. The scene is outrageous, and very surreal, and extremely well done. Another example would be the attack of the flying miniature transporter robots, where Worf really gets to prove how brave, and violent, he really is.

Finally, the acting is universally good, and Stewart puts in a performance of depth, although not as impressive as in First Contact. The plot of Insurrection is slight, and alone doesn't manage to hold the attention. But the other elements that go into producing a good movie, such as the script, acting, directing, and, dare I say it, special effects, add up to an entertaining whole.

I think that free of the limitations imposed by the "classic trek" rules, and the campy acting that dogged the earlier Trek flicks, the Star Trek franchise will flourish, and this movie shows how much a cast enjoying what they are doing adds to the fun and feel-good factor of watching the film with a cinema full of enthralled viewers. Well done Jonathan Frakes!

A Brilliant Piece of Work...

Author: spaceboy_a from Sydney
27 January 2003

This is probably the best of the recent Trek films. Honestly, I don't know why many people don't like it when production wise, it couldn't have been any better. Each scene is nicely constructed and utilizes all the necessary ingredients of film making.

OK, the story was simple but for what the story was, screen writer Michael Piller, wrote a screenplay that is so polished, that every one-liner was perfectly timed and the dialogue was very sharp. The drama and story unfolded not too slowly and not too fast. The characterization was fantastic particularly the conflict between Piracy and Admiral Ross. It's a story about fighting for what you believe in, which every character in the film, even the bad guys, does until the bitter end.

There is no rules that says a science fiction film or Star Trek must have a complex storyline, but a storyline that tells a story and tells it well is what Insurrection does perfectly

I don't enjoy action films and I think 'Star Trek: First Contact' is one of the most overrated sci-fi actioneers in years. Insurrection had a very human story and is also very audience friendly for those who have never seen Star Trek.

I think people need to take another look at this film and ask what is wrong with it apart from the story being too simple? Production design looks great, the film is beautifully shot, Jerry Goldsmith's score was perfect, and the energy from performances from the entire cast comes off in the film like no other Star Trek movie.

'Star Trek: Insurrection' is a very underrated film, and a film that deserves way more credit.

SCORE: 9 out of 10

The worst TNG movie ever!!!

Author: jimconnell-2 from South Shore, MA USA
17 January 2007

So let's get this straight: The Federation has partnered with an alien race to harness the power of a planet's rings, adding years of lifespan to literally trillions of beings throughout the galaxy...the only thing they need do is re-locate 600 squatters (who have no more legal right to the planet as anyone else).

This seems like a good deal, right? Isn't this what Spock taught? "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"? Apparently not, because Picard mounts an "insurrection" to stop the deal, after calculating that a forced relocation was more of a moral outrage than the squatter's hording of life-extending powers, denying trillions of federation members additional years of life.

So what does he do? He leads the squatters (a bunch of pacifist hippie beatniks who've rejected technology to embrace blissed ignorance) into a series of collapsing mountain caves to thwart efforts by the "bad guys" to beam the squatters to safety. Picard figures that the bad guys won't tap this fountain of youth until the squatters are off the surface (which will be scorched during the process).

I don't know what's worse...(a) the fact that Picard is naive enough to use the squatters as human shields in hopes that the bad guys aren't really bad enough to kill them, or (b) the fact that we have bad guys who aren't really bad enough to kill the squatters. Either way, this is easily the worst Star Trek plot ever conceived.

I haven't even discussed the nonsense with the chick that can inexplicably slow down time when she feels like it, or the plot demands. Or, when Whorf gets acne, or the Picard-Data duet, or the girlish scream the bad guy releases when he's tricked, or the countless other insults and indignities this film inflicts upon the viewer. Utter rubbish. Rent II, III, IV and VI

Worst Star Trek movie EVER. Plot points included here.

Author: Adrian Cribb from London, England
11 January 2000

I won't speculate on how so many weak and irritating ideas ever made it into this movie. However, Paramount are in really bad shape if no-one there has the power to say STOP even when presented with this load of rubbish.

By far the biggest irritant is that the alleged "good guys" are actually some of the most hateful people ever filmed. While these people, known as Baku, have been leading drippy and unproductive lives for centuries their own children have been banished to grow old and infirm on another planet. When these now technologically advanced "Sona" return, close to death, in an attempt to benefit from their home planet's natural regenerative radiation, the Baku hoodwink Picard and his crew into thinking that they are infact the victims. This is mainly because the Baku, basking in regenerative radiation all day long, have remained relatively pretty while the Sona are now very ugly as the film takes pains to point out.

It's been thankfully a long time since I have seen a totally white cast in a film, but black people are conspicuous by there absence from the Baku.

Additionally Picard takes up with a Baku who has spent her last 300 odd years learning how to look like a pouting airhead even when tons of rubble are falling on her head, yet cannot row a boat or swim when she needs to. This even though she lived next to a lake all that time!

Goodness knows what sort of point Jonathan Frakes is trying to make with this film.

I would recommend that anyone considering watching this film does so on DVD/video with the remote control never far away from their grasp. After you've spinned through:

1. Riker and Troi behaving like the first couple in school who find out how to kiss

2. Picard and a woman with a charisma by-pass talking about nothing for minute after nauseating minute

3. Blond kids rolling around in haystacks

, there really is only about 45 mins left of F. Murray Abraham (the baddie) and spaceships.

1 out of 10 and such an utter disappointment after First Contact which was a fantastic film.

Best Next Gen Movie Ever

Author: cal-brady from Australia
27 March 2010

This movie is, in my opinion, the best Next Gen movie that they've ever made. I know it's often criticized as having a moral basis that is incorrect; as it's based on the rights of the individual as opposed to the rights of the majority--but preference for the individual over the majority in moral issues like the one presented here is what makes Star Trek, Star Trek.

Michael Piller wrote an awesome script for this movie, based on the story that he and Rick Berman developed for it. It still has the action and adventure of a Star Trek movie, but it's at a much slower pace and it has the morality that I love about Star Trek.

What I found truly interesting about this movie is the fact that there is more character development then in most Star Trek films--Captain Picard falls in love and Data furthers his understanding of what it means to be human through a friendship with a young boy on the Baku planet.

All in all, what's not to like? It has the action and adventure of a Star Trek movie, and the morality of an episode.

If you like Star Trek TNG..See Insurrection

Author: (Poochafalafell@aol.com) from NYC
23 September 2004

It's safe to assume a lot of people think that " Star Trek : Insurrection " is more like a 2 hour episode of TNG then a film. But if you like the Star Trek TNG series then you should see Insurrection.

Personally i loved "First Contact" so when i saw "Insurrection" i wasn't expecting it to be better then First Contact. I wasn't expecting anything. Whenever i see a Star Trek movie it IS like seeing another Star Trek episode... I don't compare it to last weeks. I just want to see what the crew has to face this time and if/how they make it out OK. This Film is also filled with comedy which always works for me.

Highly entertaining

Author: John Taylor (gbg36@dial.pipex.com) from Bedfordshire, England
2 January 2000

If you are a Star Trek fan( of which i am) you will not be disappointed by Insurrection. The story is good and the acting is up to it's high standards the only let downs are the lack of any real great special affects and the lame enemies. I would not say this is as good as first contact but never the less well worth watching. 7 out of 10

Page 1 of 52:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]