IMDb > Sour Grapes (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sour Grapes

Sour Grapes More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

How can I put this mildly...

Author: Chris from United States
11 March 2011

If you don't like this movie, there is something seriously wrong with your sense of humor. In other words, you might be better of watching reruns of Friends. (Or Guys & Gals.) Seriously, this movie is everything that makes Larry David great, you can even see him in each character. In the spirit of Seinfeld, Curb & even Arrested Development, this movie is so wrong, it's right. We'd been meaning to watch it after it was referenced on Curb, but never got around to it until now and I'm so mad it took us this long! How Sour Grapes isn't a cult classic like Big Lebowski or Office Space is beyond me but I'll say this - it'll never get dusty on my shelf.

Surprisingly Hilarious

Author: ML368 (starboy368@aol.com) from Long Island, NY
19 August 2000

I rented this not expecting much, and was very pleasantly surprised. This movie is an absolute riot, with good performances by the two leads and the whole supporting cast, especially Karen Sillas who is wonderful in everything she does. The story begins when Craig Bierko's character wins $400,000 in a slot machine in Atlantic City from a quarter that was lent to him by his cousin, played by Steven Weber. Weber wants half the money, everyone gets greedy, and hilarity ensues. There is also a very funny subplot about an arrogant sitcom star and a botched surgery that had me in hysterics. This is one of those movies that you will be thinking about the next day at work and just start laughing out loud. By the way, it was written by Larry David who created Seinfeld so that will give you an idea about the type of humor that you will find here.

Norton Is Right!

Author: porkchop2525 from Chicago, Illinois
8 June 2000

Norton is right! This is a fabulously funny movie! I just saw Daryl Hammond in the street today, so I should know. Yes, it may not be for everyone (what good movie is?) but I do believe that anyone who loves "Seinfeld" will enjoy this as well. C'mon it's barely an hour an a half, what else are you gonna do?

A Magnificent Masterpiece

Author: NortonPlume from Alfred, NY
8 May 2000

This movie was absolutely hilarious. In every way it shows the watcher that the essence of "Seinfeld" is alive and well. From it's absurd and crazy plot to it's choice musical selections, Sour Grapes was everything I hoped it to be and more.

This movie is hilarious!!!

Author: caustin9 from United States
13 September 2005

This movie is hilarious and very Larry David like...Anyone who says it isn't doesn't watch Curbed very often. The whole blowing things out of proportion is true to form! Also some great cameos like Orlando Jones...funny.Just how the sequence of events unfolds and how everything is inner twined is so right on I can't believe anyone would think differently, it amazes me how the same people that hate movies like this are the same ones that praise something like Con Air!!! Boy that was a real work of art!This is a movie that will keep you guessing unlike the uneducated insulting regurgitated, same ol', same ol' that Hollywood pushes down our throats these days.I know you guys out there are probably saying "Geez tell me how you really feel!" but if i don't defend a smart comedy such as this who will!!! thanks for letting me rant!

This was FUNNY!

Author: Maga from The Greater Southwest
13 November 2003

I stumbled on this film by accident on Showtime and I laughed my a** off! The story starts with two cousins gambling at a casino. One runs out of quarters and asks the other for two quarters. You know what happens next, the guy hits the jackpot, however, he does not feel that he owes anything more than the 50 cents that was borrowed. What ensues is a series of related blunders and mishaps that all tie together. The strength of this movie is in the brilliant performances of the actors and the wonderful Larry David story. I don't know how anybody could not find this movie funny, it is a real knee-slapper! *** out of ****.

fair

Author: (ajdagreat) from USA
23 July 2002

Yes, this movie has a Seinfeld-ish tone, but it's also much darker. It's about terminal cancer and castration and sickly twisted views of family life. Is it funny? Occasionally, but it's also often cringe-inducing. Also, the acting is very poor. Only see this if you have a dark sense of humor...and it would help if you think a guy performing oral sex on himself if humorous.

Nothing great, but kind of fun.

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
6 May 2002

I've been a huge fan of the tv show "Seinfeld" for quite some time now, so when I found out that this film was written and directed by Seinfeld co-creator Larry David, I had to take a peak at this film. I have to say that I didn't see a whole lot of similarity between Seinfeld and this film. There were some similar types of comedy in the film, but I found this movie to be much more of a dark-comedy than the comedy of Seinfeld. Which I guess leads me to believe that I liked the Jerry Seinfeld contribution of Seinfeld, not so much the Larry David contribution.

There really isn't a whole lot I can say about the film. I thought it was ok, but nothing spectacular. I wouldn't agree that if you like Seinfeld then you'll like this, cause I'm living proof that that isn't true. Anyhow, hope you like it more than I did. Thanks for reading,

-Chris

Horrid, AVOID!

Author: chris377 (marv@gdinet.com) from Watertown, WI
25 March 2000

Larry David, who created "Seinfeld" has concocted a painfully unfunny comedy. Craig Bierko and Steven Weber each imitate characters from "Seinfeld" with very poor results. The premise itself seems to be ripped from a storyline from the show. Poor dialog, story, acting, and execution. JUST PLAIN BAD!

Oh what could have been

Author: Hap Trout (HapRay) from Grants Pass, OR
30 November 1999

The plot for this film is excellent. Two great buddies...together forever, get separated by greed as a result of one of them hitting a big jackpot using the other's coins. He'll share the winnings right? Wrong...greed takes over and then it turns into a series of trite and predictable scenes which are not helped by the usually inept "acting" of Steven Webber. So much could have transpired here, just by allowing the viewer to vicariously place himself into the situation. Sadly, we cannot feel sorry for Webber, who found a career in the constantly available "Wings" on TV. I have watched him in a few other efforts (read: "The Shining") where he also failed to convince. Maybe someday, another filmmaker will do this picture the way it should be done. A convincing lead is the place to start. If you liked "Wings" forgive me, and go for it.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]