IMDb > Lost & Found (1999/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Lost & Found More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
11 September 2003

There seems to be some confusion about what is funny nowadays. Let me give filmmakers a clue. Funny Men Who Will Always Be Funny: Steve Martin, Bill Murray, John Candy, Bob Hope, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, et al. People Who Are Not and Never Will Be Funny: David Spade. Now that we have that out of the way, let's get on, shall we?

"Lost & Found" is a marginally funny movie that only has a few funny gags. It is more of a sitcom stretched out to full length than a full-length motion picture. There are conveniently close-living love interests. Poor characters live in luxurious apartments. The main characters all exchange lines we would expect their writers give them to say, and nothing realistic. This is beginning to sound like "Friends the Movie"...

And there is a certain problem with enlisting David Spade as a romantic lead. 1. He's a snotty little swine who, I think, many women would hate and not adore. 2. He's annoying, and his humor is contradictory, making everything he says a contradiction. Which means when he wants to express his love to a woman, "I hate you" is the best choice.

But let's be honest, can you imagine David Spade as a woman charmer? Me, neither. Let's just say love, subtlety and truth are not his expertise. In my opinion, David Spade is not a funny guy. New(er) comedians like Adam Sandler at least have the visible urge to be funny, a sense of liveliness and joy. David Spade has neither. He just stands there, cracks badly-written lines in bad monotone, and expects us to laugh; what's it all about, David?

"Lost & Found" is about an Italian restaurant owner named Dylan (Spade), who is not Italian, but expects his patrons to ignore this. Dylan maintains a failing restaurant downtown, where he walks about and cracks jokes to the guests in his restaurant and scares little children. Dylan has a big future somewhere. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be on this planet.

One day, after losing his clothes in a game of strip poker with a gang of old women, Dylan sees a beautiful woman (Sophie Marceau) living a few apartments down from him, playing an instrument and sitting by a window at night so naked men like Dylan can stand right outside, stare at her, and not be seen. We know there's going to be a joke about people walking outside their rooms and seeing Dylan, and - oh, here it is. Big surprise: It's handled badly, it's not funny, and the people who spotted Dylan have no urge to call the police. Why? Easy: They're written characters just there for a cheap gag. No characters seem to make up their own choices. There's a bad case of Scripteritis and Writtenmonia in this film.

In hopes of getting closer to the beautiful woman, Dylan decides to kidnap her small dog. He then shows up at her house and helps her search for the vicious animal. This goes on for a while, giving Dylan a chance to grow closer to Marceau. I do not know why Marceau's character would ever feel anything for Dylan, who parades around like a little brat throwing insults at her old boyfriend like, "I'm a local yokel" (har-har).

"Lost & Found" seems to want to be another "There's Something About Mary," but it's lacking everything, right down to its obvious rip-off of the dog (which bears a startling resemblance to the canine in "Mary"). "Mary" might have been a conveniently written comedy, but we cared enough for the characters and laughed enough at the jokes that we didn't care. There are no strong laughs in "Lost & Found," and we don't care for the characters. And as we await the occasional chuckle, the convenience of the script becomes more and more apparent, as do the major flaws the film has. If "There's Something About Mary" was the best of the sitcom comedies, "Lost & Found" is at the bottom of the barrel.

And for further notice, here are other comedians who are not funny: Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Norm Macdonald, Colin Quinn, Rob Schneider, Jimmy Fallon.

2/5 stars -

John Ulmer

An insulting comedy that can lower your I.Q.

Author: Real Critic
25 January 2002

An unlikable Spade falls for his next door neighbor Marceau, then kidnaps her dog in a desperate attempt to win her over. If you're willing to get past an extremely stupid, unoriginal premise, then you won't be rewarded cause this turkey goes on for an hour and a half and in typical Spade fashion is filled with corny and offensive jokes. 0/4

Carried by beautiful Sophie Marceau...

Author: Starbuck-13 from Bamberg, Germany
29 June 2001

Nice movie. Nothing special, but nice.

Of course, the essential element of this film is not David Spade - there are too many better comedians around - but Sophie Marceau whose sheer beauty keeps on stunning me even after knowing her work for nearly twenty years meanwhile.

She has everything a woman needs and she's a brilliant actress to top this - what more can you ask for?

A real dog.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
31 December 2000

"Lost and Found" is a tour de force by David Spade which translates into a seemingly lengthy tour with very little force unless you're a Spade lover. The film attempts to capitalize on Spade's sarcastic style of humor but wears it out quickly as it apparently has little else to offer. It's unable to make the Kodak moments work as the Spade/Marceau duo is too implausible even for an outrageous comedy with Spade unable to get serious and Marceau seeming uncomfortably out of place. For Spade fans only.

The real dog isn't -in- the movie. It -is- the movie.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
27 December 2000

"Lost and Found" is a tour de force by David Spade which translates into a short tour with very little force unless you're a Spade lover. The film attempts to capitalize on Spade's sarcastic style of humor but wears it out quickly and apparently has little else to offer. It's unable to make the Kodak moments work as the Spade/Marceau duo is too implausible even for an outrageous comedy. This one dimensional, paper thin, and very forgettable flick is for Spade fans only.

Silly movie, showcasing David Spade's wit and Sophie Marceau's beauty.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
2 July 2000

Although "Lost and Found" is a totally silly movie, David Spade is funny and Sophie Marceau is beautiful. It is easy to watch, funny at times, sweet at others. I would not pay to rent this video, but watching it on TV is worth the time for entertainment.

I give it 6 of 10, but not a real strong 6.

Funny, but mis-fired Spade project

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
19 June 2000

I wanted to like this film, David Spade can be a hilarious person. But it is usually on Saturday Night Live or on Chris Farley films. This is a solo effort that means well, but doesn't shoot of at the right time. Spade plays a restaurant owner who wants to get a girl of his dreams by stealing her dog. Cute premise, and laughs along the way (I loved the Jon Lovitz cameo), but not as good as I expected. B

A cute little romantic comedy

Author: FlickJunkie-2 from Atlanta
10 January 2000

This film is mostly a vehicle for David Spade and as such it was a mixed bag. The story was cute; nerdy guy falls in love with the girl next door (Sophie Marceau) who totally outclasses him, and he decides the best way to woo her is to steal her dog and charm her while he pretends to help her find it.

I thought the romance angle was enchanting and the better part of the script than the goofy Spade skits with the dog. Much of the film was Spade having sarcastic dialogue with the pooch and it was sadly unfunny. His bits with Marceau were better. By far the funniest scene in the movie was his Neil Diamond impression. That was one of the few scenes worthy of his comedic talent.

The lately ubiquitous Sophie Marceau is sweet as the girl next door. She really didn't have much to do in this film except be French and adorable, which is not much of a stretch for her. She handled it with aplomb.

Probably the most consistently humorous character was Artie Lange as the psychotically sycophantic Wally. He stole just about every scene he was in, and with his enormous size and girth was visually the perfect comic foil to the diminutive Spade.

Martin Sheen had a bit part as the banker, Mr. Millstone and once again proved that no matter how small a part you give him, he will overact and ruin it.

I gave it a 6 overall. A lot of the bits were lame, but there's a chuckle or two for just about everyone in this film and you will probably feel a little better at the end than when you started. Worth a look.

David Spade is a very funny guy, in small or large doses.

Author: thefan-2 from Detroit
1 May 1999

This movie is being criticized because David Spade's schtick is funny supposedly in small doses but not at feature length. Excuse me, but that sounds like one of those lines you have made up and ready before you see the movie. The truth is that almost any comedy schtick, including David Spade's, can sustain the yucks for 90 minutes. The problem with this movie is that Spade doesn't try to do that. Instead, he interjects all this material about owning an Italian restaurant and needing a loan to finish the new wing and his pretty Frenchgirl neighbor needs a shot of confidence so she can play her cello at Hollywood Bowl yada yada yada. Audience to David: Stick to the schtick, please. 5 out of 10.

Pretty Lame

Author: zmaturin from Pleasant Valley, USA, Earth
24 April 1999

I have been very disappointed by the current crop of comedies so I set my expectations pretty low for this one, and guess what? This fell below even them!

The film is predictable and unfunny. Those are the major failings. Another problem is David Spade. He's a side kick in search of a side to kick. And Artie Lang: I loved Dirty Work, but in this he's just a sub-standard Chris Farley. And Sophie Marceu- from Braveheart to THIS?!? Mel Gibson, David Spade... same difference.

Another major failing in the film is the lengths they go through to make Spade likable. Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Norm MacDonald, Bill Murray, Jim Carrey- all are willing to make their leading characters unlikable, almost unwatchable. Spade's character is a budding restauranteur! He only means to kidnap the dog for an hour or two, but it eats his friend's ring! Spade is just too nice! Or at least he tries to be, he just isn't the leading man type.

And with the dog abuse and goofy cast-sing-along over the credits, the film seems to be trying to be "There's Something About Mary", a film which I absolutely loathed.

In short: This movie was useless. Bleh.

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]