IMDb > Six Days Seven Nights (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Six Days Seven Nights

Six Days Seven Nights More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I can't help myself when it comes to Harrison Ford...

Author: jax713 from Chicago
30 December 2005

I rented this a few days ago having discovered it was a Harrison Ford movie I somehow missed. Even though I'm a big fan of his, I really didn't expect much based on the jacket description. But, Eureka! I was completely charmed by this movie. Ford has a very low key way of delivering comedy and when you see a manly man like him being funny, it is all the more hilarious. Anne Heche is captivating as the gamin New York fashion sophisticate who happens to be very smart & sassy but grounded. She also has a tremendous flair for comedy and she plays off Ford in a grand way that Melanie Griffith couldn't even dream about doing in Working Girl. Griffith sleepwalked through that script whereas Heche embraces her character fully.

There is a very unique thing that happens in this film that we don't see very often and that is how the romantic chemistry builds between the lead characters. It is as natural as the flora and fauna of the island they are trapped on - rather randomly and sometimes awkwardly taking root - and I give a lot of credit to Reitman for capturing this feeling between Ford & Heche. With most films like this, the leads either hop into bed right away and then sort out their differences, or there is no indication of increasing mutual affection until the last 10 minutes when someone slaps their forehead and a light goes on. In this movie, you see so many small moments when one character is creeping into the heart of the other. Despite this, it never gets sappy.

I'd rate this movie as a 7 but am giving it an 8 to try to raise its overall score. It's a very, very good romantic comedy with a funny script, witty direction, great tropical locales, and an eclectic but engaging supporting cast.

A fun movie, not to be taken too seriously

Author: pksky1 from Northern California
10 November 2002

A crusty pilot-for-hire is trapped on a tropical island with a fashion magazine executive. I might have avoided this had it been anywhere else but the "action" part of the video rental store. There was enough action in it so as not to disappoint the action fan too much, but there is a certain amount of romance too. The executive has left behind a brand new husband on the vacation island she has been called away from. And the pilot-for-hire has a girlfriend left behind there too.

And so it goes. There are some suprises, but not too many. The grand old DeHavilland Beaver upstages everyone and so if you like airplanes, you will like this one.

Harrison Ford + Airplanes = Great Movie every time.

See Whatcha Get

Author: reesesb4mnms from United States
24 July 2005

This film probably wasn't made to make you laugh nonstop, but when they turn on the humor, the writers and those involved with the final cut have very nice timing and awesome lines! This movie is one of my favorites, because if i'm having a bad day...they (Heche and Harrison) are having a much worse one and manage to pick up my mood with the delivery of lines that make me laugh, so, yeah the humor. But also the style, pacing, and emotional involvement they make me feel as a viewer.

I'm invested. And though I may think that Schwimmer's character is a shmuck, I can understand his POV, so, he's okay.

David and the cast did an outstanding job, and while the filmed script may not have been the original one (I'd love to see it sometime) the end result is fabulous. If you haven't seen it, you should, and I hope you too laugh, and smile, and chuckle, and enjoy a rather grand movie. Enjoy!

Fun Adventure Film

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
17 October 2002

This film was intended to be about romance and adventure, but I really wasn't feeling the romance. In the end, I really couldn't care less if Anne Heche and Harrison Ford ended up together. Especially since David Schwimmer's character was so likeable. I did however want to see him end up happy (in fact, I wanted him to end up with Angelica), but they didn't follow through with his character, so we really don't know what happened to him.

It may sound like I didn't like the movie, but on the contrary, I liked it a great deal, I just don't think I got out of the film what the director/writers wanted me to get out of it. I thought the film was fun and entertaining but not superb.

The cast in this film was pretty good. Harrison Ford was excellent as always, playing a very interesting character. David Schwimmer was superb in his role, I REALLY liked his character. Anne Heche is pretty much the only player in the film that I'm not sure that I liked. Don't get me wrong, she looks fantastic in the film and does a good job acting, but I'm just not sure if she was the right choice for the job. Well, I guess there's nothing I can do about it now, so I better just shut up and deal with it. Jacqueline Obradors looked absolutely stunning in this film! She is reason enough to watch this film!!! Her acting is quite good too. Temuera Morrison (who would later go on to become Jango Fett in Star Wars Attack of the Clones...and Harrison Ford played Han Solo in the original trilogy...kind of interesting) does a fine job in his role. Cliff Curtis plays a VERY small role in this film, but does a good job and has a very cool look to him. I'm always amazed by this guy because he looks so different in each of his films. Danny Trejo also plays a small role, but does a fine job. Allison Janney kind of bugs me as an actress on the whole, but her role is minimal and has very little screen time, so I can deal.

All in all, this is a fun movie, with a lot of cool stuff in it, but nothing spectacular. If you end up seeing the film, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading,

-Chris

The Good & Bad Of 'Six Days, Seven Nights'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
8 August 2006

This romantic comedy and adventure story had a bunch of good and bad things going for or against it., but overall was an enjoying story that was a pleasant diversion. I don't know if I'd own it, but it's worth watching once or twice.

THE GOOD - Some tremendous South Seas island scenery; a good mix of comedy and adventure with attractive leads in Anne Heshe and Harrison Ford; and fast-moving story meaning good entertainment.

THE BAD - Poor messages about fidelity and marriages; an annoying, whining character played by David Schwimmer; too heavy - for family viewing - on the profanity and cleavage.

holidays in the sun...

Author: dbdumonteil
8 May 2003

Do you know Francis Veber? He's one of the most popular French film-maker. He owes his success thanks to a comic method which he knows the secret. It's the confrontation of two people who have got a different disposition but are compelled to cohabit together in an unfriendly environment. This situation is told in a comedy tone

By telling Harrison Ford and Anne Heche's adventures, Ivan Reitman must have been influenced by Francis Veber' method. Here, a confident and bold Harrison Ford mixes with a coward Anne Heche. After a dragging beginning, the movie becomes lively and rhythmic when our two heroes are stranded on the island. It contains good and funny moments, especially when the characters are having an argument. But, it follows a predictable advance: at first, Ford and Heche can't stand each other but little by little, they learn to know each other better. It's all the more as they'll have to go through a hard time so as to leave the island. Finally, it's love that will shine them.

At the end, you get a nice but colorless comedy. Nevertheless, Reitman can sustain the interest during all the movie and skilfully avoids boredom.

It's like a small vacation

Author: Bogie27 from United States
1 November 2009

I don't write many reviews, unless I really feel close to the movie or believe it was unfairly rated, like this one. This movie has found it's way back to my DVD player several times since it's first release to DVD about 10 years ago. It whisks you up from your easy chair to a sunny vacation spot in the Polynesian Islands and never slows up or misses a beat. One scene moves to the next in a seamless manner often foreshadowed by a soundtrack that is very good and quite catchy.

The film was well cast with Harrison Ford as the crusty cargo pilot - Ann Heche as the assistant editor of a fashion magazine - David Swimmer as her pasty but very nice fiancé and Jacqueline Obradors as the beautiful but dingbat club dancer. This romantic comedy and action adventure film pits two people together from different backgrounds and age groups. Normally the two would never get along long enough to get to know the other. But, forced to spend time together and under challenging conditions, a small attraction begins to develop and grow stronger. The character development of the cast moves forward with the same speed as the rest of this cute story.

While the film is certainly not for everyone, judging from IMDb ratings and rotten tomatoes, I really believe it was the message and not the movie that failed to impress. This story expresses a throwback to traditional values in the relationship of Ford and Heche and their experiences on the Island. This may explain the reaction to the film by many of the younger viewers. Some of the more mature viewers may have been turned off by news of Ann Heche and Ellen Degeneres in real life. This may explain why some seem to love the movie, while others have curiously rated it rather poorly.

In any case, if you need a quick escape and love flying to beautiful Polynesian Islands loaded with beautiful scenery and good-looking people, then his film may be your ticket!

Okay by me

Author: RNMorton from West Chester, Pa
17 December 2003

Ford and Heche are stranded on remote Pacific island and face various dangers while Schwimmer and Obradors party and fret. Never entirely comfortable as either comedy or drama. Beautiful scenery (including Obradors) compensates for awkwardness in many scenes between the leads. A movie I never really thought I liked, it often finds its way onto my screen. 8/10 on scenery alone

An entertaining romantic comedy with touches of an adventure movie.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
8 April 2007

When a hard-working career woman by the name of Robin Monroe (Anne Heche) works for a popular woman magazine. When her nice boyfriend Frank Martin (David Schwimmer) purposed to her to married him. Also to come with him for a week at a tropical island. Once they get there... they meet a gruff, rough cargo pilot Quinn Harris (Harrison Ford). Once the pilot brings them to the island, Robin and Frank start enjoying their vacation. But the trouble starts when her boss (Allison Janney) calls her from their trip to take a photo shoot. Robin asks Quinn to bring her to the location, where she has to go. But once they left the ground to fly, they ended being hit by lighting and crashing to a deserted island and trying to find a way to get back to the tropical island. While Robin and Quinn dislike each other with plenty of problems and troubles. They find themselves chased by pirates (Temuera Morrison, Cliff Curtis and Danny Trejo). Slowly Robin and Quinn start falling for each other.

Directed by Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Junior, Twins) made this amusing, nicely filmed romantic/comedy/adventure with fun performances by Ford and Heche. This wasn't a huge hit at the box office but it should play well on video. Although involving pirate in the subplot seems out of place with the story. It's entertaining enough to overcome certain flaws in the movie. Probably the best thing of the picture is Ford, which he's especially loose and funny. Certainly worth viewing. Panavision. (****/*****).

One of our all time favorites

Author: Sinan Karasu (allahsiz@home.com) from Seattle
2 April 2000

The script/timing/acting in this movie is excellent, and is a great joy to watch. The perfect timing of the cast and an excellent story make this one of our favorites along with Fifth Element,American President, In and Out, The MatchMaker , The Local Hero and The Mystery Man..

Sinan