IMDb > Resident Evil (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 113:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good survival horror

Author: enkephalin07 from United States
16 January 2005

I had to sift long and deep for a good comment on this. Why all the hostility? I think there was great chemistry on this production and it shows; the actors and crew involved loved the game and had a good time making this. This movie successfully recreated the feel of the game, and because it kept exposition to a minimum of what you needed to know for this particular story and didn't borrow from or revise any of the original characters or settings, it supported and strengthened the franchise. No story is retold here, no words are wasted, the setting, feel and pace is familiar to fans of Resident Evil and yet it's perfectly accessible to those unfamiliar with the broader storyline. Not giving the fan-boys their favorite characters was a good choice since characters tend to get mangled in adaptation, and yet the fan-boys still complain. With this film you have a good, watchable story that can partake of the Resident Evil cosmology, showing it due respect.

It did an excellent job establishing characters without too much unnecessary background, developing them just enough to make you want to know what they'll do next, to make you care before the sudden and gruesome happens to them. The acting was above par for a Resident Evil, certainly much better than the first game. The plot was no more comic bookish than any of the games. My one complaint was that the characters were too battle-trained, too slick, too good at fighting for them to be sympathetic horror subjects. This could've been balanced out with more reaction shots showing the soldiers wetting themselves. But Alice's over-the-top commando-style action made her too much of a super heroine to really make anyone concerned about her survival; characters made of Teflon make good action but apathetic horror subjects.

Way better than what I expected

Author: Reaktor- from Siikajoki, Finland
27 July 2002

I wasn't waiting to see anything amazing when I started watching for this movie, since almost all the license movies have been terrible... Fortunately, my opinion was to change! Movie was great, actors were good enough, and there was actually a plot (whoa!). Director has done a great job by having that videogame atmosphere by use of light, but still keeping the movie tense. Marilyn Manson has also made a great job by composing some of his greatest soundtrack titles which really fit for this movie. I have played both Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2, and recognized many of the scenes which were kind of similar to games. What can I say? For the people who have played games, this one gives good vibes and they are going to love it. For regular people the movie might be above the average. This was one hell-of-a-movie, and I'm waiting for the sequel.

Solid!!

Author: Matthias (tesla@tezla.com) from Tranarp, Sweden
29 November 2007

As a big fan of splatter and horror films i was gladly surprised when i watched this. I haven't played the game so i had no idea what to expect and had nothing to compare with. I really feel that this pays homage to the old zombie films at least to an extent. The zombies here are a little bit faster though.

It begins with a nice back story and then builds slowly in pace to a climactic frenzy. The effects are top notch, solid directing, a really imaginative and eerie production design and great acting.

Yes, i may be a little biased but i really like Milla Jovovich. I think this is the kind of role that fits her best, strong kick ass attitude with an odd personality wrapped in a seemingly fragile shell. Her performance here reminds me a bit of the character she played in "The fifth element" and also the character in the later "Ultraviolet" The other actors did a good job as well so she's not the only one to get credit although the movie revolves around her character. The child AI is a very nice and creepy addition to the atmosphere.

The RE theme could have ended up as a nice trilogy but the sequel unfortunately lacks nearly everything(except Milla) that this film delivers. Not that RE2 is a complete mess but nowhere near this. I haven't seen the third installment yet but even if that one holds true in quality to this one number two becomes the odd one out.

If you like zombie and action films you'll certainly like this one.

A proper popcorn sci-fi horror movie

Author: DVD_Connoisseur from England
22 June 2007

First things first, I really like "Resident Evil". While I can't comment on the success of the conversion to a movie as I've never played any of the numerous video games, the film is beautifully shot and has an urgent pace. It also has a great looking cast, a thumping soundtrack and plenty of boys' toys.

Milla Jovovich is stunning as the heroine, Alice. Whoever thought of casting Jovovich in this role deserves a bonus. Watching this beautiful star kick various forms of zombie butt while wearing a short red dress is a wonderful experience.

Anderson's movies may be accused of being style over substance but there's no doubting that "Shopping", "Event Horizon" and "Resident Evil" are fantastic examples of eye candy. Every shot is beautifully composed and the film has a high-budget sheen.

8 out of 10. Casio G-Shock fans will be in their element watching this movie.

Finally, a video game adaption done right

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
8 October 2003

This movie means business. Quick disaster with a mystery to it, jarring deaths, naked Milla, all in the first few minutes. It keeps up the pace throughout. In terms of critical comments, yes, you don't really care about the characters, but so what? How often do you really care about the monster fodder in horror films? And true, it wasn't a literal working of the movie, it didn't take place in a mansion and it didn't involve exploring lots of rooms and solving puzzles. That's because it's a movie. A literal translation of Resident Evil would probably be really dull. Games and movies are very different mediums. I don't think some people here understand that. One guy said he thought the movie rocked but after repeated viewings he thought it sucked, and that's a video game player attitude - movies don't have to have good replay value, it's okay to enjoy them once. I only enjoyed Star Wars once, but I don't think it sucked, it just didn't have a lot of depth. Not every movie has to be Citizen Kane.

It was an engaging story, moved like lightning and had some excellent scares.

Scary and atmospheric

Author: mbworm from United States
7 January 2008

"Resident Evil" was a smart and scary game. The darkness and the surprises were huge scare factors. In that famous game, you find yourself trapped in a mansion crawling with the undead because of a mistake made by the Umbrella Corporation.

Director Paul W.S. Anderson makes a fast, dark guilty pleasure of a film from this game with "Resident Evil".

Milla Jovovich is Alice, who wakes up in a creepy, poorly lit mansion at night in a remote forest. She has no memory of who she is or why she's here, but after a group of soldiers bursts in and takes her to a hidden lab underneath the mansion with them, she quickly begins to realize a terrible secret. She and the others find themselves locked in "The Hive", an enormous, elaborate underground structure that was sealed by the supercomputer controlling it. It soon becomes evident that an experiment called "The T-Virus" escaped into the air and killed everyone. But nobody really stayed dead. Now the remaining survivors must fight their way back out of The Hive before the door seals permanently... and at the same time they must contain the virus before it reaches the surface.

The film moves at a breakneck pace, with some elaborate sets and great cinematography that sets the dark mood well for this atmospheric sci-fi thriller.

Surprisingly Entertaining

Author: Dennis G. Barnes (Zod-2) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 October 2002

I was generally surprised that I liked this movie, not being a fan of either of it's stars. I decided to give the movie a try since it does deal with one of my favorite horror topics...zombies!

As a horror movie Resident Evil fails miserably, it's not scary and contains only small amounts of suspense. It is much better as an action film although much of the action is chaotic, accompanied by lame heavy metal/thrash music. But seeing as it is based on a video game and made primarily for teenage boy video game addicts it is quite good in and of itself.

The movie plays well, even though it is apparent that some scenes have been cut to achieve an R-rating. The characters do what they need to do in order to survive.

One small problem with the movie is the relative lack of zombie screen time. They do appear in two major scenes but most of the time the hallways are clear. This hive was supposed to employ thousands of people but you only ever see 100 zombies at the most. Also, the humans seem to be able to travel easily wherever they have to go until it is time for another action sequence. It would have been better if they constantly ran into single zombies which they were able to easily dispose of, but this is nit-picking on my part.

Overall I enjoyed the movie and I have never seen, let alone played, the video game. I'm not sure if this movie will have the staying power over multiple viewings for me (like Aliens) but it's a very good single viewing action picture. Easily the best movie I have seen based on a video game. Despite it's flaws Resident Evil rates a 7 out of 10, if taken more seriously this could have been a really good movie. It would have been nice to see a George Romero version.

Resident Evil: A Project in Terror.

Author: CarelessMoonDruid from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
13 January 2005

To be honest, the first time I saw this, I didn't care for it. It did not follow the story line of the game, and that made me very unhappy with this endeavor.

Upon realization that a video game is "dumbed down" for the players to be able to concentrate, however, I opted for a second viewing and came to realize that this was not the waste of time I first believed.

I was disappointed with how it played out because there were no cures along the way, they made little notice of records and files lying about, no matter how relevant they were or were not, and the sequence of things was not on par with that of the game. I realize that to do things that way would have severely hampered the flow of the movie itself and would have made it far less active. Considering this is first and foremost, an action movie (with horror elements), that would not be considered a good thing.

The truth is that Milla Jovovich contributes a very capable and entertaining presence and performance to this work. Her supporting cast (every one) gave nothing but the best they had. The story itself flows quite well and was creatively written and executed.

There is nothing wrong with this attempt. It just didn't live up to a fanboy's expectations. Unfortunately, that was their major principal audience; game fans, and that explains the lackluster box office payoff and the low IMDb user ratings for this attempt. The fanboys were disappointed; the casual fans casually attended this event; and the mainstream didn't understand the big deal, either way and so did not participate to a profitable level.

With the release of the second installment and all the advertisement and hype Apocalypse received, it drew the mainstream fans a bit harder; the casual fans were less casual; and the fanboys were still disappointed, but resigned to the fact that this was just how it was going to be; take it or leave it. We took it and, in retrospect, embraced the first attempt, as well.

It rates an 8.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Non-stop fun and unimaginable good, bloody action

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
29 April 2008

Resident Evil is probably my favorite zombie movie. It had flaws, some acting was poor, but still was one great time from start to finish and excellently crafted entertainment!!!!! It had wonderful action, nice gore and the performances overall were exceedingly decent for what they needed to be for a video game adaptation. I especially love Michelle Rodriguez's portrayal of Pain; amazing character.

I first thought when I was watching this film that it was going to be an over-the-top gore movie with way to much blood and carnage, not so much as focusing on the main point of the story, but it turned out unimaginably well, for I thought it wasn't going to be that good at all, and the complexity and edgy scenes and screenplay surprised me. Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez acted wonderfully in this film and this was a great action\horror movie that I am extremely glad I was able to have seen, and will gladly see over and over again.

A Huge Disappointment

Author: kensmark from Right Behind You
31 March 2002

Mild non-specific spoilers ahead.

I had high hopes, but Resident Evil wants to be a zombie movie and an action movie, and it fails utterly on both counts.

You can't have a good zombie movie without gore. Or without some decent zombies. The zombies in this movie are feeble, except for the dogs, who have hardly any screen time. The movie also has a rather hastily concocted monster, which serves as padding. The gore that does get onto the screen doesn't have any continuity with the action, as if the victims of violence in the film wandered in from an alternate universe where they died of different causes.

And you can't have a good action movie without action. Milla has about one-and-a-half good action moments in this film, and the rest of the cast manages another two. Those are supplemented by a lot of inaction and a lot of loud nonsense where they try to confuse you into thinking something interesting is happening. Dull, dull, dull.

Shaking the camera a lot during a close-up of someone waving their arms and screaming is not an action scene. It's passe and pathetic and wasn't a decent substitute for action back when it was relatively new, in the mid-80's.

The movie has a few moments of genuine atmosphere, but those have all come and gone by the twenty-minute mark. There are some nice props, but they generally don't get much use, and some nice sets, although the gross overuse of the close-up generally obscures them. The cast shows some promise, but they don't have much to do, and the dialogue is all too often wincingly bad.

The movie relentlessly copies better films, and does it poorly, a long and annoying reminder of what you could be watching instead.

Most mysteriously of all, the film contains nudity, but none of it serves any purpose. The movie already had an 'R' rating for violence. The nudity isn't necessary or flattering. I admit, rarely have I seen a movie in which an attractive woman appears without her clothes and thought the movie would be better without the nudity, but it happened here.

All in all, it's not as interesting or exciting as watching someone play the game. Or hearing them talk about having played the game. It's not even as good as the director Paul Anderson's earlier videogame movie, Mortal Kombat. As the final credits rolled, I was easily able to think of almost a dozen zombie movies that are far, far superior -- and only two of them are Japanese.

Weak, dull, derivative, amateurish, under-written, under-directed, and generally disappointing. I feel bad for Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez, who I know can do so much better.

Page 1 of 113:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]