IMDb > Quest for Camelot (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Nice Variation on Old Legend

Author: Cylex from England
16 September 2001

I caught this film on video because the trailer wasn't too good. But it did have Eric Idle voicing Devon so I gave it a chance. I loved it. The dragon stole most of the scenes, but the other characters weren't bad either. Kayley & Garrett made a good couple and it was refreshing to see a romance that wasn't based on looks or riches. I wanted them to be together. Bladebeak was amusing and Aydon (voiced by the excellent Frank Welker) was good to watch. Rubere was deliciously villainous. The weakest characters were Arthur & Merlin but the film wasn't really about them so it didn't matter.

The best scenes were set in the Forbidden Forest where we witness all kinds of weird and wonderful flora and fauna. There are good songs (I Stand Alone, Through Your Eyes & On My Father's Wings especially.) I also cried at several points. Ignore the bad press. Watch it. 9/10

An underrated good quality cartoon film.

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
30 August 2007

Genre: Cartoon, Camelot, Adventure with female knight in training.

Main characters: Kayley, Garret, Devon and Cornwall.

Actors: Lots of famous ones here! There is Cary Elwes (Garret), Eric Idle (Devon), Gary Oldman (Ruber), Jane Seymour (Juliana), Don Rickles (Cornwall), Pierce Brosnan (King Arthur), John Gielgud (Merlin).

What happens: Kayley is the daughter of Sir Lionel, one of the knights at the Round Table. The young girl dreams of following in her father's footsteps as a knight. Then, disaster strikes. Lionel is killed :-( and Kayley as well as others mourn for him. Kayley dreams on of becoming a knight...

My thoughts: This film had good potential. It had good animation, good, heartwarming songs, good characters and lots of good actors. They released it and (on IMDb especially) it sort of flopped like a deflated balloon. What happened?

Well, I don't know personally. I suppose a lot of people don't like this film for a number of reasons. Yes, the film isn't perfect, but it's CERTAINLY enjoyable and good to watch! It's also good for the children, they are likely to enjoy at least one aspect of the film and want to watch on (just like me when I was younger). They may enjoy the songs, they may enjoy the actors, they may enjoy the characters or the excitement, or they may enjoy the humour. They are most likely NOT to be disappointed.

Adults are most likely to like the actors. Monty Python fans will hopefully not be disappointed by the performance of Eric Idle. Also here is Jane Seymour (but not Henry the Eighth's wife OBVIOUSLY! :-) )

Why this film has gone down so badly is a mystery to me. I hope those of you who have never watched it before will enjoy it as much as I do.

Recommended to: Families who like cartoon films, people who like any of the actors I mentioned earlier and people who just like the sound of the film in general - enjoy! :-)

A very,VERY good Arthurian movie

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
18 September 2007

I was shocked,surprised and flabbergasted by the negative reviews I would see on the web, I thought that this film a very,VERY good Arthurian movie along with Walt Disney's classic "The Sword in The Stone;" the MGM live-action classic "Knights of the Round Table" with Robert Taylor & Ava Gardner; the musical "Camelot" starring Richard Harris & Vanessa Redgrave.

This film has everything: a very good story, excellent music, and that's one thing I love in a movie is a very good soundtrack; and an excellent voice casting too. I love Kayley, and her desire to carry on the tradition of her father in the excellent song On My Father's Wings was a great scene in the film. I also love song "The Prayer" too. The song became popular among artists like the Celtic Woman - I don't understand why a popular song would come from a film that people thought it's awful.

Heart is in the right place, but flawed...

Author: Shawn Fumo (shawn.fumo@the-spa.com) from Springfield, MA
3 April 2002

I am going to agree with the majority of the other posters here. There is a lot of good elements in this movie, but it is all put together as much more of a cliche then it had to be.

It seemed like there were too many singing scenes and they were too abrupt and not integrated into everything. Every time one started, I couldn't wait for it to be over so we could get back to the story. And as others mentioned, the singing voices were too different from that of the characters themselves. Imagine if they had used the time during the songs to actually give more plot and character development.

Everyone seemed too two-dimensional. As someone else pointed out, how did the bad guy even get to the round table in the first place? He was charming in his own way, but too cookie-cutter.

As others mentioned, the animation is very hit-or-miss. The backgrounds and overall mood are very well done, but a lot of the characters were just not animated well, the hawk was frequently deformed, etc. It stood out badly due to the quality of everything around it. Take a look at something like Princess Mononoke to see characters animated on a limited budget that meshes much better with everything else, with a lot more visual style.

It seems like it would have a feminist bent, but then she is still rescued most of the time, and the dress scene at the end seems especially absurd in the context of everything else.

Some of the comedy elements were cute, but I did dislike all of the movie references and everything. Since everything else seems centered in the world, it seems out of place.

Like the Black Cauldron, this was an OK movie that could have been a lot better. But at least BC didn't have all that singing. Sword in the Stone also worked a lot better while being in a similar vein.

If you want an American animated movie that is really consistent with its own world, animated well, has good characters, etc. check out the Secret of Nimh. You can get it really cheap on DVD now. Seeing Quest for Camelot the day after Nimh, there really is no comparison...

Boring

Author: Genevieve (princess-genevieve88@hotmail.com) from United States
11 October 2007

Well, I finally saw it. And boy, it was nothing to sneeze at.

(**Spoilers**) Now, I tried to give it a chance, I really did. Being a big fan of animated musicals, I tend to enjoy films of this genre. But sadly, the effort was wasted in this misshapen heap of a story. Now, for the positive side, I must say I thought the two-headed dragon was hilarious... Eric Idle and Don Rickles were simply perfect picks for their voices. However, the main characters were bland, and lacked a proper chemistry. Kayley was drastically out of place with the story. Her whole, "I wanna be a warrior" rant reminded me of Taran from "The Black Cauldron." Ladies were not knights, and did not sit with the men at the Round Table. And NO woman dressed like she did at that time. Garrett was the most boring, angsty piece of wood, it hurt. And, to top it all off, the two main characters fell in love in less than a day. (I'm sorry, but even for an animated film, that was way too rushed, considering how they got along in the first place. Ruber, the villain, was a lame, inept villain, who lacked a good motive. It was lame.

The singing voices for the characters (not counting Devon and Cornwall (the two-headed dragon), and Ruber (the villain), who did their own singing) were all obviously different. And the songs came out of nowhere. I mean, one minute we have Kayley's dad telling her about Camelot, the next, the knights are parading and singing to Aurthur's castle. Yeah, that *TOTALLY* happens in real life. I know animated musicals have songs, but they're usually better done, and fit in with the storyline. The animation smelled... and I often saw re-used clips about three times over. And the colors were so washed out, it hurt.

And the plot... hoo boy! Did these people even try and base it on the book it supposedly originated from? Now, I never read the book, but I read its summary, and the characters are barely anything like this. The plot is weak, watered down, and lame. I know the book was adult, but they could've made a kid-safe version of it. And Arthur and Merlin are in this for all of ten minutes, max.

The only *really* catchy song in the film was "If I Didn't Have You", and the only really beautiful song was "The Prayer." This is sad because there were other songs scattered throughout the film. So yeah, this film tried so hard to be a Disney-clone, yet it couldn't hold the candle to other really good non-Disney films, like "The Swan Princess", "Thumbelina", "Anastasia", "Balto", and "Prince of Egypt."

Case in point, don't waste your time. It's quite forgettable.

The style and the quality is low and out-of-date even in the norms of 1998, but still worth watching for fun

Author: Cihan Sean Victorydawn Vercan (CihanVercan) from Ottawa, Canada
26 April 2010

Back in the days when there is no such Oscar category as "The Best Animated Feature of the Year" , animations were for family use only. It's obvious that by 2001, adult themed animations began running off readily. Looking at the year 1998, alongside of Antz, Mulan, and Toy Story 2 ; Quest for Camelot was another successful blockbuster hit in the animation genre.

It's an adaptation to Vera Chapman's novel "The King's Damosel", the writer of which is the founder of the J.R.R. Tolkien Society of Great Britain. Though, most fun and joyful parts of the novel are missing in this film. The basic formula of creating a Swashbuckler Adventure out of a heroic journey story has been applied again just like The Mummy, Robin Hood, Indiana Jones, Conan the Barbarian and so on.

What's so good and staying within living memory? 1/First of all, it's very entertaining for everyone who like Swashbucklers. Must be rated "E". 2/A sense of Tim Burton style singing dialogues. 3/All the cruel and bloodthirsty fantasy world creatures are pleasant looking: Dragons, Drakels, Ogres, and the very special Two-Headed Dragon. 4/The Dark Jungle with Necromancer Trees. 5/The lost sword of Excalibur. 6/The legend of the Three Circles. 7/The story is centring on a girl who wants to be a knight! Praise for Hayao Miyazaki 8/The first time when Garrett and Kayley meet the two-headed dragon: -Garrett:What are you? -Dragon:We're the reason cousins shouldn't marry. 9/The back story of a blind farmer, and his success story becoming a knight 10/The blind farmer's silver winged falcon, and all the scenes that it's fighting with either dragons or ogres.

What's not to like and to forget? 1/The overall animation quality is only as good as a computer game except the music. 2/Some scenes and sequences are giving homage to Star Wars, Indiana Jones and even the Taxi Driver; and those homages are stomach aching. 3/King Arthur is very weak, he is half the size of Merlin and shorter than Kayley 4/Merlin is not the Merlin as we know him, he's afraid to cast spells, and not able to protect Arthur's castle 5/The moment when King Arthur grabs the Excalibur from the stone, he seems like a 4-year-old kid pretending that he's He-Man and the people around him are the Masters of Universe 6/The fact that King Arthur is Pierce Brosnan's worst voice acting ever 7/Character development and back stories of the characters are very weak except Garrett's character 8/Visual Effects are awful 9/Over 350 animators have worked to create this animation, but it's still not "animating" what needs to be animated, 'cause the action sequences and the human movements/reflexes are dreadful 10/Sound Effects are not synchronized properly

Give it a shot, this is at least worth watching, catch it on Youtube.

I've seen acting at the Tournament of Kings Restaurant at Las Vegas better than this!

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
25 July 2012

There were many movies that told the legend of King Arthur of England. The Sword in the Stone was probably one of the best examples for this legend. And there was another one called Quest for Camelot- Wait a minute! Quest for Camelot?!! This movie wasn't great, this movie sucked! Why am I saying this? Oh, you're going to find out in a moment...

1) Songs, songs, and more songs. Oh, I'm sorry, this is a musical adventure. None of the songs made any sense at all. They would make Tom and Jerry the Movie look like the Music Man or The Titanic Animated Trilogy look like Singin' in the Rain! 2) Rip-offs by the dozen. I spy with my eye the main character who looks like Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast. There is no escaping the rip-offs! 3) Abysmal dialog. Read this following quote: "You've got to ask yourself 'Do I feel Clucky?' Well, do you punk?" Stupid. Absolutely stupid, movie! You're ripping off one of Clint Eastwood's best lines and then you inserted "Clucky" instead of "Lucky". If Clint Eastwood were to hear that, he would've said "Boy, do I feel unlucky today. One minute, I was the star of Dirty Harry and that next thing I know, my line gets stolen by an ax-chicken with the voice of Sonic the Hedgehog from that horrible TV series "The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog". Ungrateful punks."

This movie is so unbelievably bad that it left the Nostalgia Critic making two nuclear explosions and go on a shooting spree involving Disney characters(Note: for the record, that was played for laughs and no beloved Disney characters were harmed during the making of the Nostalgia Critic episode reviewing this movie)! If I were one of those people working at Warner Bros Studios, I would've stopped the numb-nuts from making this fire-breathing monstrosity that is Quest for Camelot.

Not excellent but very good anyway

Author: Rob Visser (simba@euronet.nl) from Eindhoven, The Netherlands
27 January 1999

I for one was eager to see Warner Brothers' first fully animated feature when it was released in the theaters. I didn't expect to see a Disney quality movie, but I was happy to find out that QfC came pretty close. And now it can be enjoyed on home video, which is a good thing.

Some animation in the movie wasn't as hot as I had hoped, but the songs... These are all really excellent. They are a joy to hear again and again. Special tribute must go to the animation of Ruber (the villain) who is really awesome to see. Ruber, to me, is the one that really makes this movie.

Even though some of the other characters may appear a bit bland, the overall art and animation is pretty good. With a little more work, Warner Brothers should be able to produce a movie that will perhaps match a Disney feature one day. The potential is there, I'm sure.

Quest for Camelot is a great first animated feature for WB. It isn't perfect, but it certainly has its charms.

A long-forgotten gem from my youth

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
19 July 2013

I first saw this film with my sister when I was 11 and she was 7 on a ferry home from France and after having forgotten about it for several years, I re-discovered it upon learning that the Nostalgia Critic had done a review on it. His review wasn't particularly favourable but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Anyway back to the film. The first time I watched it my favourite characters were Devon and Cornwall, who added some comedic value to the film, although I've taken a liking towards Kayley as well for being a brave and original heroine since not all heroines of fantasy films want to be knights. The film has some memorable moments such as the beginning where Kayley is a little girl and saddened at the loss of her father as well as her transition from a child to an adult as she looks at her reflection in the water. I could also remember Devon and Cornwall impersonating Elvis, which was somewhat anachronistic for the film's setting. In spite of this, I liked their song 'If I Didn't Have You' as well as Kayley's 'On My Father's Wings' and Juliana's 'The Prayer.' Garrett's solo number was okay, but his singing voice didn't match his speaking voice. I liked his duet with Kayleigh better. The background music was quite pleasant as well, especially the Irish jig-type music. There are some worthy special effects as well such as the lens flare on the sword, the cold breath coming from Kayley's mouth in the snow and the green lighting during Ruber's song and when he takes Juliana hostage. Some of the effects were a tad CGI-ish, such as the ogre made of rock, but it is funny when Ruber says, "The ogre's butt." It was also funny when Devon and Cornwall said they'd barbecue a bully before breathing fire at the griffin as well as the ending where Kayley and Garrett ride away on a horse with a 'Just Knighted' sign across its bottom. As for the animation, it was consistent for the most part but slow during the back-story of the sword at the beginning.

All in all, this is an exciting film worth seeing again after several years. 8/10.

I love this movie

Author: magandthebeast from United States
19 January 2011

This movie was one of my favorites when I was a kid and still is. I love the music, the story, and the animation. It's very entertaining and cute! Don't know why people give it such bad reviews. It may be a little corny, but it's a kids movie and they all are to a degree. The cast is amazing, and the music is very catchy (I still have the songs on my iPod). The forest is very creatively depicted, and the funny parts are cute. It's not a movie that you're supposed to take seriously. It's very sweet! I bought it on DVD and my friends and I watch it together and reminisce about our childhoods. I highly recommend it! It's got the whole adventure element without being super romantic like most other cartoons, which is refreshing and part of the reason why I like it so much. It's great to show to kids, and I think it's a very cute little movie.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]