IMDb > Pleasantville (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pleasantville

Pleasantville More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 70: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

"Pleasant"-ly spellbound!

Author: CosmicGirl2000 from Texas
3 May 2000

I first saw this movie on cable a year ago, and I really loved it, but didn't think anything of it really. I saw it again on cable the other day, and I absolutely fell in love with it! It is one of the most timeless movies to come out of the 1990s. Ever since I was a kid, I always wondered what it would be like to go "inside" a 1950's sitcom. Well, you will get that feeling when you watch this movie! This movie was so well cast, all the actors looked like they actually belonged to the 1950s. The cinematography was SUPERB, and the music was absolutely awesome. I've always been fascinated by 1950s pop culture, but this movie has really sparked up my interest in it even more! "Pleasantville" will now go down on my all-time favorite movies list. Do not miss out on this wonderful, feel-good movie!

Well executed 90s fantasy/social commentary

Author: clive-24 from Warwickshire
24 April 2000

A very well executed fantasy which is only let down by a rather ham-fisted, if well intentioned slide into social/racial commentary. The special effects and use of colourization cannot be faulted, and the humour created by 'libertated' 90's teenager meets claustrophic staid 50's society is genuinely funny. Once the film attempts to tackle its 'serious' sub-theme some elements become rather cliched, however the film is generally well put together and recommended.

Not everything is black and white!

Author: John Taylor (jdtaylor@btinternet.com) from Bedfordshire, England
21 April 2000

Pleasantville is story of how peoples perseptions of a perfect life are not always as perfect as they seem.It is the story of a brother and sister who get sucked into a tv show about a pleasant town with perfect people who lead angelic lives and how the two peoples values and own way of life gradually rub off.If this is for the better it is up to you to judge . The transision from old pleasantville to the new pleasantville is very clever . The old turn from black and white into colour to show the progression. This film was a little slushy and maybe a bit to long but over all not bad. 7 out of 10.

A good movie albeit predictable

Author: (nickcosto@hotmail.com) from Athens, Greece
26 March 2000

If you take every culture in the world -no matter how old- there is usually a myth about a time when man, before his fall, was living in Eden. The 50's USA is something similar in the minds of many people. Of course we are not talking about a myth or Eden here, but any period seen through the prism of nostalgia can look like utopia.

I must confess that I am a sucker for this nostalgia. I understand that it wasn't in reality all roses but I like the Hollywood version which takes cues from the period TV shows.

I could watch Pleasantville just for the polished 50's urban scenes. But there is a twist of course. They are characters of a show and trapped in their preset routines - a parallel for the roles a society is sometimes enforcing on people.

The message of the movie is that, when there are no free choices then there is trouble in Paradise. I must admit that the approach was somewhat simplistic and the two 90's kids are predictably bringing chaos in such a society. The changes could come by more subtle means rather than basically sex.

Get in the right frame of mind and it will be a very enjoyable movie.

BEST FILM!!!!!!!!

Author: 10Things
25 March 2000

This was the best movie I've seen in a long time. The films was brillantly acted by Tobey Maguire, Don Knotts, William H. Macy, Jeff Daniels, and especially Joan Allen and Reese Witherspoon. It is obvious Reese Witherspoon is the best young actress out their today. The film itself and Joan Allen were both jipped of Oscar Nominations. I give a 10/10 or *****

fun and something to reflect on

Author: Nickolas-3 from Belgium
12 March 2000

Great film It starts out with two teenagers who end up in a 1950's sitcom. You'd think it's just another lame high concept comedy but there's so much more going on. The civil rights issue gets slipped in there and the movie gives us some confronting insights about the true meaning of the word tolerance. All this is being delivered in a totally plausible manner,nothing seems dishonest to the plot. See this film !!!

Original

Author: Monika-5 from United States
28 February 2000

While I thought this movie was not as good as I'd thought, it is still a very interesting movie with a fresh storyline and plot twists. Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon were perfectly cast as the two teenagers, and whoever cast William H. Macy and Joan Allen as the parents was ingenius! The black and white cinematography slowly turns to color as the people of Plesantville start to discover who they really are, and innocence falls away.

Clever and entertaining but how do you end a plot like this?

Author: Rod-54 from Canberra, Australia
22 February 2000

The basic idea might not be new but this film is cleverly written and produced. The contrasts drawn in the first half between modern urban life, and particularly modern teenage life, and the Pleasantville of the 1950s are revealing and very entertaining. And the delivery by Maguire and Witherspoon is excellent. In the second half they introduce sin, passion, independent thinking and risk-taking into Pleasantville's garden of eden with the expected results. When only part of the town is thus "converted", we then have the racial divide metaphor, laid on very thick. Entertainment and light social comment turns into moralising and, for me, the film drags. The, how you tie the strands of a story like this into a satisfying ending I do not know. I do not think it is achieved here. Overall, a film worth seeing. Toby Maguire is terrific. I look forward to more from him.

Clever and entertaining but how do you end a plot like this?

Author: Rod-54 from Canberra, Australia
22 February 2000

The basic idea might not be new but this film is cleverly written and produced. The contrasts drawn in the first half between modern urban life, and particularly modern teenage life, and the Pleasantville of the 1950s are revealing and very entertaining. And the delivery by Maguire and Witherspoon is excellent. In the second half they introduce sin, passion, independent thinking and risk-taking into Pleasantville's garden of eden with the expected results. When only part of the town is thus "converted", we then have the racial divide metaphor, laid on very thick. Entertainment and light social comment turns into moralising and, for me, the film drags. How you tie the strands of a story like this into a satisfying ending I do not know. I do not think it is achieved here. Overall, a film worth seeing. Toby Maguire is terrific. I look forward to more from him.

Unbelievable

Author: cvrana
1 February 2000

I first viewed this movie about 4 months ago. I instantly fell in love with it. It is a beautiful masterpiece of a film. It is funny, dramatic, and just really fun to watch. It is also visually spectacular. The editing is perfect, and the mixture of color and black & white is stunningly gorgeous. Not to mention all the intelligence put behind the script, the wonderful acting, and amazing fantasy fun. This is the best movie I've seen in years.