IMDb > The Parent Trap (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Delightful Family Film

Author: DanB-4 from Canada
25 August 1999

There is only one movie in history that I can name that my wife, my mother and my six-year-old daughter enjoyed equally. This is it.

This is an astonishly effective and pleasant remake of a very good film. It's light, romantic, touching and downright funny. You cannot pour enough accolades on young Lindsay Lohan, who effortlessly plays both twins, and, if you listen closely, juggles four accents. (She changes her Brit accent when she plays her own American alter-ego pretending to be herself in England - if you saw the film, you know what I mean).

Natasha Richardson and Dennis Quaid with that big, goofy, infectious smile, give the film its romance and maturity, without stepping on the fun-filled kid's plot. This is simple, easy-to-watch family entertainment.

There is also a great editing and effects element. You never once notice a split screen or cheap over-the-shoulder shot when both of Lohan's characters are on-screen - its really quite astounding how seamless it is.

My daughter, after seeing this in the theater, quickly proclaimed this her favourite movie ever. We own the video, and I have watched it with her at least a dozen times without growing tired.

A perfect rental after a bad day, or when you want to have a family movie night. *** out of ****.

A delight

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
6 October 2001

I think that this is the best Walt Disney film that I have seen since The Last Flight Of Noah's Ark. It is a delight from start to finish and every bit as wonderful, perhaps even better then the originial. This ia a welcome return to the good old fashioned clean family films Disney used to make. The soundtrack is wonderful and Lindsey Lohan is a great little actress who plays the two parts very well (I love her British accent). Dennis Quaid and Natasha Richardson were terrific at playing Brian Keith and Maureen O'Hara's old parts. A young actress named Elaine Hendrix is a great comic villianess. I detested her character and laughed my head off when those girls gave her just what she deserved. Some people might say that this plot is old and clichd by the standards of today, but it still works. They should release this on a double bill with the original. I hope Disney keeps on making films like this, goes back to "the good old days" so to speak.

Wonderful!

Author: shrek2004 from Canada
4 July 2003

Wonderful remake of the 1961 Hayley Mills film. This film is much more realistic, with better acting. Lindsey Lohan is amazing as both Hallie and Annie--I really did think she was two people, she portrayed the two different charactars fantastically. All the different charactars in this movie are really funny as well, and there are no bad actors. The plot just zips by! I give this movie 10/10.

Classic Disney Comedy

Author: Steve Baker (s.baker@iig.com.au) from Cairns Australia
21 September 1998

School holidays can be deadly for older cinema patrons but sometimes there are films for children that are well worth a visit for adults. Unusually, The Parent Trap is a children's film that can even be recommended for children by the most morally bound parent - although there is a divorce that may need to be explained away. The Parent Trap is cute, sugary and funny - and unashamedly so. The Parent Trap was originally made in 1961 starring Haley Mills as a pair of twins who accidentally meet when they are eleven years old. Their parents divorced when they were babies. They then connive to get their parents back together. This is classic Disney material and the formula can and does work very well indeed in this modern version. Heaven only knows how the special effects are done but I suggest that you just forget about that and settle back and enjoy the film. You won't have any choice anyway. I was convinced that the twins must have been played by real life twins and I'm sure that I won't be the only one to fall for that particular Parent Trap. Young Lindsay Lohan plays the girls, (both of them!) complete with fabulous accents, sunny bright and distinctive personalities, appealing red hair, freckles and a great sense of fun. One of the girls has become a Londoner and one a Californian and the girls also sport very commendable English and American accents, as well as composites of the two accents when the girls switch places. It's also pleasing to see young girls being given the sorts of lightly rebellious antics to frolic with as are usually reserved for young boys. The story begins in a New England summer camp where practical jokes are the go, although the film is careful to keep nastiness well out of the way. It would be hard to accuse Lindsay Lohan's twins of any serious crime in any case. The girls decide to switch places so they can each meet their Mum and Dad. In true Hollywood style both parents are rich and attractive and they of course each have hired help (Lisa Anne Walter and Simon Kunz) who are of course are going to fall in love. But then we must have the wicked stepmother and this is provided by Meredith, a gold digger who's out to score the very rich hand of Dad. She's played with appropriate relish by Sharon Stone look alike Elaine Hendrix. The story really revolves around the parents, played by Natasha Richardson and Dennis Quaid. We can settle back and wait for the inevitable to happen, because we just know that this is going to be one of those "happily ever after" efforts where Mummy and Daddy will again fall in love and properly become parents for these two very cute and loving girls. But along the way be prepared for some very solid laughs and a wonderfully animated and motivated lizard.

Good natured fun

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
19 July 2006

This is one of those rare cases where a terrific movie is equaled by its remake. Hayley Mills carried the dual roles of twins learning of each other's existence and concocting a plot to reunite their divorced parents splendidly in the '60's version, and Lindsay Lohan showed wonderful comedic talent at an early age in this delightful remake.

It's a Disney flick, so the comedy is family slapstick variety as you would expect. The evil stepmother-to-be is over-the-top evil (even called Cruella De Ville by one of the girls), and she's a character you love to hate. The obvious chemistry of the parents (Randy Quaid and Natasha Richardson) is great, and begs a question which is never answered to satisfaction, "Why did they split up in the first place?" Everything in the film symbolically shows that they were made for each other: even their respective maid and butler take a shine to each other.

The fx and editing to stand Lohan's two characters together is magnificently done; it really looks like two actresses. No split screens, backs of heads of fake-looking "doubles" etc. to distract you from the movie. Lohan skillfully contrasts the American/British accents and mannerisms of the two girls; you know and believe which twin she is at any given moment.

Well directed, well acted and fun. I'll even forgive the film makers for ripping off the stranded-in-the-lake scene from "Meatballs." The closing credit snapshots provide a sweet epilogue to tie up loose ends.

Good family oriented comedy worth a rental.

A fun reminiscence; see both versions.

Author: jhawk from Cambridge, MA
29 July 1998

This is definitely worth seeing hand-in-hand with the original version; rent one on video and then go see the other in a theatre. The parallels are quite strong, though, as the world grows smaller, instead of a California/Boston split, it's a California/UK split.

There are some lines of dialogue in common in both films that feel particularly appropriate, and are definitely winning ("like *sisters*" -- "No, [Halley], like *twins*"). The musical throwbacks to "Let's Gets Together" are also quite enjoyable.

Perhaps recognizing that their target audience is not only kids the age of eleven-year-old Annie/Halley (Lindsay Lohan), but fans of Hayley Mills and the original film, a more in-depth rationale is presented for the breakup of the parents, with an appropriate romantic twist.

Additionally, one never ceases to be amazed that some of the old tricks (and quite a few new ones!) work quite well. And, as the trailer says with a twinkle "Introducing...Lindsay Lohan" -- she's a knockout at this.

Apparently Disney wanted to give Hayley Mills a bit part in this film but she was unavailalble...nevertheless, it's a lot of fun.

Cute remake of a great original

Author: Adriane Simo (adriane7@mindspring.com) from chandler, az
21 January 1999

This movie was pretty good. It was better than I expected. I especially loved the performance of Natasha Richardson, who is really gorgeous. Dennis Quaid was cute too. Lindsay Lohan was incredible too. My 8 year old sisters loved the original and got the new one and fell in love with it too. They are already reciting it. Rent both versions and enjoy both! They are great!

A must see, even if you are adult

Author: itojun from Tokyo JAPAN
27 August 1999

This may look "a film for kids", but this movie really is, a must-see for both adults and kids. It is a great love story. I'm single but the film reached my heart - I'm sure married couples will love this film too.

When I saw this for the first time, I was on airplane. I was lucky enough to get upgraded that time, so I was with personal video screen - I saw _The parent trap_ twice and cried several time in each of the viewing. Now I got DVD for it, I saw it more than dozen times by now. I feel very happy after every viewing of the film.

Lindsay Lohan did it super (especially accents), dad and mom are really lovely.

If the film comes to a theater near you, don't miss it. On big screen you can find some additional details DVD/Video. The film is totally, and completely lovely.

I was skeptical at first, but this really was an adorable movie

Author: SwingKid-11 from New York
30 August 1999

Beleive you me was i skeptical of this movie. First of all the original is a highly regarded film in my house. If it's on t.v the world stops for it. And beleive me when I first heard about the remake i was very very angry because hardly ever does a remake even compare to the original. I didn't understand it of course. Especially how a movie like that cold work in the 90's. I mean reality check what court, let alone parents, in the world would decide to split up a pair of twins let each parent have one never let them even know about the other one and never let them see each one ever again? Puh-Leeze. But boy was I ever wrong.

This movie has every bit as much charm as the original and it's ending (I won't give it away) makes much more sence than the original, they-just-get-together-without-talking-any-of-there- problems-out original.

And huge props to Lindsy Lohen on the accents. I am very big on accents and was overwhelmed at how good she was. I see big things for her.

So go see it. It's truly captivating.

Get caught in this trap

Author: Michael Sibley
6 September 2004

"The Parent Trap " is good but its star Lindsay Lohan is better as she was able to steal my breath away in dual roles playing Hallie and Annie Parker. Working with such a clever plot, Lohan has almost single handily pulled off one of the best performances of 1998.

Also, what a breath a fresh air to Hollywood as she explodes on the scene as one of the best child actresses I've seen in a long time. The proof is a movie called "The Parent Trap."

Lohan's performance is great but we also must not forget that it stars Dennis Quaid as one of the best actors I've seen. With his versatile talent in film genres such as drama, action, or family, Quaid has the ability to capture my attention for the length of the movie.

"The Parent Trap" is a light hearted film that will allow the mind to flow freely while sitting and relaxing. In addition, the movie was not only clever, but original because Lohan pulled off her role as she knew what she was doing without having to be told what to do. Lohan is a natural talent that should be treasured because she is so good and seen in more films

The supporting cast also fit, which made it that much more enjoyable to watch. Good cast choices all the way around. I suggest that everyone see this film because it is really good clean fun with one of the brightest and youngest stars to hit Hollywood.

Bravo to the cast and crew of "The Parent Trap."

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]