The Odd Couple II (1998) Poster

64 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
vintage Lemmon and Matthau
Lee Eisenberg14 October 2005
Okay, so the sequel was pretty absurd, but it was Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau doing what they do best (it was also their final teaming). In this case, Felix Ungar (Lemmon) and Oscar Madison (Matthau) are driving to their son's and daughter's wedding in San something, California, experiencing various unpleasant situations along the way. Most of the movie's strength lies in its one-liners, most of which show just how much both men are seething. I think that my favorite scene is when they stop out in the middle of the desert, and...well, you have to see it. Somewhere up in that great retirement home in the sky, Oscar and Felix must still be getting on each other's nerves. They were truly great.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unforgettable. Classic.
au_law200114 January 2005
This has got to be one the funniest film I've seen with the grumpy old men, unfortunately their last, but those two are and forever will be the funniest duo ever. There quotes and acts are hilarious and unforgettable and their acting is excellent, they make Laurel and Hardy look dull, but I love them too. Anyways, in this one they go into a crazy road trip to their children's wedding and the reunion is almost heart warming but funny and they haven't changed a bit, I like especially the part with the ride they had with another old guy. That was classic. Oh, those two, they might've been old but the jokes and humor in their films were fresh. Recommended to all fans of the two, thank Walter Matthau, thank you Jack Lemmon, I'll never forget you, you two are funniest duo on the movies.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Two For The Road...and Cut.
theowinthrop31 July 2006
It is hard to believe it was only eight years ago that this, the last of the Lemmon and Matthau (or Matthau and Lemmon) films was made, and within four years both stars would be gone. One only wishes that their last film together had been more of a success. They had done first rate sequels before with GRUMPIER OLD MEN, but that film had been done within two years of GRUMPY OLD MEN, and a natural momentum carried the stars (and supporting casts) to the finish line. That is not the case with THE ODD COUPLE II. It came out thirty years after the original THE ODD COUPLE, and while they are reunited with the play's creator (Neil Simon) on the screenplay, the momentum - the push - is lacking.

Not that this is a boring film. Far from it. We always wondered how Oscar Madison and Felix Unger would have behaved as elderly men. Of course, Felix looked like he and Gloria were going to settle their differences and return together in the first play/movie. Indeed, in the television series Tony Randall did get back to his wife. But here it is obvious it did not work at all. Both men have remained divorced, and both men remain essential the same: Felix the compulsively organized neatnik and Oscar the incorrigible slob. They also have given each other a wide birth if possible. But they find themselves drawn back into mutual orbit. Oscar's son is getting married - and to Felix's daughter. So the pair are headed for the wedding, and that means jointly showing up.

What happens is a series of joint misadventures on the way to the wedding, especially involving two rather fun young women that they meet (Christine Baranski and Jean Smart) with their jealous boyfriends. This leads to several, increasingly odd, run-ins with the sheriff of a small town they can't seem to successfully leave. Indeed, in one case they get a lift out of town in a beautiful white classic Rolls Royce, which moves more slowly than a pair of people on bicycles.

The situations are all quite amusing. But the unity of the film is not there - it is like a series of skits involving Felix and Oscar, that are vaguely united because the two characters are familiar to us, and they are supposed to get to the wedding. Still the two stars give it their all, and with Baranski, Smart, and the late Bernard Hughes it works well enough as an entertainment. But for me, the wackiness and variety of OUT TO SEA make that film a better final film for the pair.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I wish it wasn't the last.
documain-130 December 2005
It is sad to think that we will not have any more gems from either of these two screen legends. Lemmon was a great actor, as can be seen in any one of his many films (particularly, "Days of Wine and Roses," "Glen Garry Glen Ross"). He had a broad range, and could play comedy with the best of them ("Mr. Roberts," "How to Murder Your Wife," etc.) Matthau was a breed apart, having done many dramatic roles in is early career ("The Kentuckian," "Fail Safe"), but it was light comedy where he truly shined. He was one of those true "naturals." So, after the "Grumpy Old Men" successes, they are paired for "The Odd Couple II." From the broad range of commentary here, there are those who celebrate this film, and those who think it is lame. I feel it has good performances in a so-so plot, but it think it was a bad choice. They were both great in the first "Odd Couple," but who can deny that they abdicated the roles of Oscar and Felix to two consummate professionals, Jack Klugman and Tony Randall on TV? They polished those roles to perfection, and they had done all that could be done with them. It was pointless for Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau to go there again.

For me, "Grumpy Old Men" is how I would like to remember them. That film had a good story, and was supported by a great team of veterans, Burgess Meredith in particular. In that film, even the out-takes are great.

"The Odd Couple II" reminds me in many ways of "Tough Guys." Both films had legends, both as teams and as individual actors, so when Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster appear together for the last time, you want for them to have something really special. That is what we wanted for Jack Lemmon and Walther Matthau. These films are okay, but only because the actors are in them. They are not good enough movies to honor their memories.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than expected...
Caine-29 November 1998
Despite poor reviews from critics, this follow-up to the "Odd Couple" delivers quite a few big laughs. Both stars are in top form, although it looks as if old age is begining to damper (just slightly) ol' Walter Matthau's style. I enjoyed many of the sight gags, especially one with Bernard Hughes as a man planning to live to "120" as he drives them cross-country. Howard Duetch, who also directed the hilarious "Grumpier Old Men", does a fine job switching between the dramatic and comedic moments. Not a great film, but an entertaining one with quite a few guffaws. It's biggest downfall: It reminded me more of the "Grumpy Old Men" films than the original "Odd Couple".
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Some clever lines:
Ron-18120 January 2003
This movie had some real cute and clever lines, but alas these two great actors were really beginning to show their age. The film is none the less worth your time and overall and enjoyable escape. It might have been more believable if the marrying couple had been grandchildren instead of son and daughter. I rated this a 7 and it is recommended for all ages.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hail and farewell
vincentlynch-moonoi1 July 2014
In my view, there are two ways to judge this film. The first is by looking it as a "stand-alone" movie. In that way it doesn't stand up that well. The plot is okay -- a buddy road trip on the way to a wedding...only for a change it's senior citizens. The situations are HUMOROUS, but not laugh-out-loud funny. The principal actors (Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau) do their jobs, while the supporting actors and actresses also do theirs. It's an amusing movie. And, if you don't know much about Lemmon and Matthau, that's all it will be to you.

The other way to judge this film is by looking at it as the closing act of a REAL buddy team of two actors who have shared a big part of their lives together, both professionally and personally. Then it doesn't matter if the film is as outwardly funny as it is charmingly humorous. You sit there thinking of their first film together -- the first "The Odd Couple" -- and you reminisce. Their first outing with "The Fortune Cookie", their most memorable romp in "The Odd Couple", the hilarity of "The Front Page", their renaissance in "Grumpy Old Men" and "Grumpier Old Men", and even their not so great "Out to Sea" and "Buddy Buddy". You admire them for what they meant individually and collectively to American cinema. And as you watch the scene of them parting at the airport, just maybe you think of Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn in that scene in "Guess Who's Coming Together" where they both know the end is almost upon them...not in film, but in real life. And you see the wistfulness of the parting scene between Lemmon and Matthau, probably realizing that this is the last film together.

So, how to judge this film? Factually or sentimentally? For me, more the latter, because it's a hearty farewell and thank you both for the laughs you have given me.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fair as a movie, bad as a sequel to the original
Raleon24 June 2003
Unfortunately, I've never seen any version of the play except for the original movie, so I have little idea about the original play and the shows. But to me this movie is exactly like every other movie Matheau and Lemmon did since 1990, and it lacks the simplicity of the 1968 original which made them popular as a comedy/film duo. While the original was mainly performance and character driven, which is what made it so innovative, this one has little to do with the actual characters of Felix and Oscar and their bad chemistry together. It is more plot driven, which is what kills it. In fact, it could have been any two people with the exact same plot and nothing would change, whereas in the original the character's behaviour would have effected the plot a bit. Not only that, but there's no more satire and comments on marriage and divorce except the little bit at the end, which I felt was out of character for the play. You would think there would also be a comment on growing old and dying together, but there isn't because the plot gets in the way. Some may say that movies now have to be more plot driven and not as simplistic as they were 50 years ago, but I'd have to say they're wrong. A plot can still ruin a movie while one which is simply performance based can still make it today. Anyhow, the original is still much more popular.
The last team up
MisterWhiplash6 July 2000
Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau appear in their final film together here after years of acting together (Matthau died recently). Here, they team up once again as Felix and Oscar. This time, they are on a road trip to their son and daughter's wedding (it's Felix's daughter and Oscar's son) and during the trip their are plenty of funny scenes and one-liners, but it just doesn't hit as well as the original. Good effort anyway. Written again by Neil Simon.
A Little Bit Odd
Norman Bates15 May 2014
This sequel to "The Odd Couple" is odd. First of all, I don't think one really needed to happen and second of all if one was meant to be made it should have been made a little earlier. The 90's did sort of overuse the dynamic duo known as Lemmon and Matthau. Even in the 80's they paired up. But with films like "Grumpy Old Men", "Grumpier Old Men", "Out to Sea" and of course "The Odd Couple II", you have to ask yourself whether or not this great comedic pair really needed to return as Felix and Oscar. Still they both have the great chemistry on screen together. Always had, but this sequel felt oddly strained to me since most of it I've seen already in "Grumpy Old Men".

The script by the great Neil Simon was very hit and miss with the jokes and the whole premise of both of them going to their children's wedding was forced. The direction and editing was pretty sloppy and there was a moment when they were walking in the desert when I almost had a brief flash back of when I saw the movie "Ishtar". The only thing worth seeing and is why I watched it is for Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. Despite this odd sequel having a crapola premise, you still gotta love these guys. I'd say watch it for them, but also check out the first movie.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Felix and Oscar forever
bkoganbing15 October 2012
When Paramount decided to recreate two of the most beloved characters on stage and on the big and small screens fortunately Neil Simon was hired to age Felix Unger and Oscar Madison. And since this is done in real years, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau who played them on screen back in the Sixties aged right along side the characters they played. No one else could have done proper justice to Felix and Oscar and fortunately they were both alive to get the job done.

A lot has happened in the intervening years. Simon for some reason made Matthau far more ethnically Jewish in this version which finds Oscar living in a senior citizens center writing for a local paper covering minor league baseball and indulging in his weekly pastime of penny ante poker with some contemporaries. He's still the same grouchy lovable slob he always was. I do love that bombs away scene with the garbage bags from his apartment, I can't say more.

And then he learns that his son is marrying his old roommate Felix's daughter and both are invited to the wedding out in Southern California. Enter Jack Lemmon who after making himself a royal pest to the crew on the New York flight to California meets up with Matthau where they rent a car and journey to the small southern California town all of which begin with either San or Los in their names. Don't believe me, look at a map of California and see what I'm talking about. That is after leaving Felix's plastic bag wrapped suitcase on the curb.

After that for a good half the picture Lemmon and Matthau are alone on the screen and that's what the movie-going public paid to see in 1998 in their last joint project. Two of the greatest comic actors and I say that and not comedians doing their best with some of the most impeccable timing and diction and in Matthau's case one of the most expressive faces in film history. Getting involved with a pair of rednecks and their slutty wives and getting into a car with an aged Barnard Hughes who just stops living and getting stuck with a truck of illegal immigrants are the three situations that put them in the jurisdiction of Sheriff Richard Riehl who gets tired of hosting these two in his jail.

Comes the wedding and the aftermath and all I can say there is Oscar as a sportswriter who covered the Yankees would be familiar with what Yogi Berra said about 'De Ja Vu all over again'.

Oscar and Felix they're back, they're better than ever and with both Lemmon and Matthau now gone, we're sadder for the fact they'll never return.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
funny
Jack depp3 January 2006
Any movies with old dudes fighting like my old man is funny. I'm serious. This movie might not be the biggest thing ever but it certainly made me laugh. Its a classic in my list. There's no deep message but its a damn good movie. Watch it with your old folks. They'll like it. Many dudes i know says it's just a movie about old men complaining. They're right, but they're funny old man with funny complaints. It's a good kind of movies that the "seniors" would like. It's a shame the two old guys won't be making anymore movies. It was the only movie my old man would watch as a comedy. This movie is my girlfriend's favorite among those two old guys.

Anywho...It's a good movie and you should watch it

(kudos to you dad)
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Almost as good as the first!
Movie-2030 October 1998
It was good, I don't know why the critics didn't like it, well I did, and thats' that.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Gout Of Towners
writers_reign5 December 2014
Back in 1970 Neil Simon wrote an Original Screenplay (as opposed to adapting one of his stage plays for the screen) entitled The Out Of Towners in which husband and wife Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis were frustrated in their efforts to travel from Ohio to New York and faced more frustration when they finally did arrive there. Now almost three decades later Simon has rewritten it so that what is essentially the same plot finds Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau frustrated in their attempts to travel to the Californian nuptials of Lemmon's daughter and Matthau's son. I'm not criticizing or complaining. Anything written by Simon is fine with me and anything written by Simon and featuring Lemmon and Matthau is even finer and there are, after all, only seven basic plots as we all know. The leads of course are reprising the characters (Felix Ungar and Oscar Madison) they played in The Odd Couple (Matthau had, in fact, created the role of Oscar Madison in the original Broadway production and though it is widely acknowledged that sequels rarely work this is an exception with enough Simon one-liners to keep most of us happy. Recommended.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Old jokes revisited does not really spell laugh riot
policy1348 February 2006
Not that this was a total stinker, but seeing two of the greatest actors and comedians make such a disappointing swan song as a team is very sad. The premise simply doesn't play as well when you have seen it so many times in the past. It started with The Fortune Cookie which wasn't a great film but it utilized them, especially Matthau, in a way that simply clicked. From the moment Matthau says his first line we were almost certain that he was up to no good but still in a way which made us like him, even more than Lemmon, the put upon character. Then there was the first Odd Couple and the magic was still there. That film was simply brilliant because the lines were snappier and Lemmon was much more funny than expected.

Here it simply doesn't work. I can't exactly put my finger on it but it seems that putting Oscar and Felix in a road trip movie is just an excuse to see how many senile old man jokes the director can come up with. First of all, they forget which town they are going to which isn't very funny to begin with. Then their car goes over a cliff, a joke that really belongs in a Warner Bros. cartoon and last they get arrested, not once but several times. Not very funny. Oh, yes I almost forgot about the driver who only goes about 2 miles an hour and then croaks. Ha Ha.

Lemmon was a multi-talent who could both be outrageously funny and dead serious and Matthau could deliver in both ways too, although he was always more of a comic actor. It's sad that they are both gone now and seeing this is like going to a carnival and discover that all the rides are broken.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You just can't go home again
smatysia15 June 2002
A failed attempt at rekindling the magic of the 1968 film. It's not the movie is so bad on its own merits, but when you make a sequel, you are explicitly inviting comparisons, and these comparisons are not flattering to this film. Lemmon and Matthau do their thing well enough, but it's not enough. Grade: D
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This reviewer laughed . . . and laughed!
Patrick King9 November 1998
The story is, of course, about a reunion of two odd fellows who, because they can't get along, find themselves at odds not only with each other, but with a sheriff, a group of illegal-alien smugglers, two rather saucy young ladies and their lawless boy friends -- not to mention regulars, such as the ex-wives. It goes without saying that this movie is the sequel to the 1968 "Odd Couple." More precisely, however, it is the hilarious sequel. Madison and Unger's repartee has not changed over these thirty years. This is surely due to Lemon and Mathau's wonderful chemistry, which we have seen time and time again in any of the other movies they have teamed up for. As with the 1968 version, the bickering, the fighting, and threats to one another, Oscar's various vices and Felix's many forms of hypochondria all converge in a non-stop vehicle of conflict, confrontation, even conflagration. Oscar's the cynic and Felix the romantic. Underneath, of course, they are best of friends, and it is for friendship that all the friction makes us laugh. And we do laugh -- nonstop. Best of all perhaps, we are treated to a very funny tribute to two of the funniest characters in moviedom. And in keeping with the scale of the tribute, this movie is also about movies. It is not only reminiscent of the original; it serves up reminders of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"; "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"; intimations on "Thelma and Louise," "North by Northwest," and, of course, "My Best Friend's Wedding." While for nostalgia and an aversion to tampering what is has already been done well the first time (i.e. the proverbial curse of the sequel), we may find the first "Odd couple" more to our liking. We may find the unfolding of events in 1998 a little too fantastic when we compare them to 1968. We may prefer that Oscar and Felix sport a little more of the depth of character development that occurred in the earlier take on them. But it remains that this second offering of these two characters presents more of the same hilarity, and more of a good thing is always better.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Matthau and Lemmon on the road
Coolguy-78 February 2000
I have never seen the first "Odd Couple" movie nor have I seen the TV series, but I really love this movie. In the movie, Oscar Madison (the messy one) and Felix Ungar (the neat freak)reunite after being away from each other for about 17 years in order to go to a wedding (Felix's daughter was marrying Oscar's son). I just loved the way the two of them drove each other crazy. Another funny thing was when Felix and Oscar ended up in jail numerous times. The first time was when they were accused of smuggling illegal immigrants, the second was when they were accused of killing an old Southern Colonel Sanders-like man who really died of old age, the third time was when they were in the car with two rednecks and their girlfriends. And I believe that's it. Well, it looks like the two of them are going to be in-laws. So if you're a Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon fan, watch this movie.
funny!
jaws!3 July 1999
I thought the odd couple II was a funny movie,and some scenes were very funny. I also thought this movie was better than both grumpy old men movies,and my fellow americans. I give the odd couple II *** out of ****
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An idea for a new odd couple movie.
ronaldcorkran19 January 2014
I was a big fan of odd couple TV series and movies.I would like to see a movie remake and I have the perfect stars.They both would be a perfect fit and both have movie experience.The perfect actors to do a movie remake Terry Bradshaw as Oscar Madison and Howie Long as Felix Unger.I wish somebody could come up and get them to make it happen.Oscar Madison was a sports writer Terry Bradshaw is a sports analyzer and Howie Long would be great Felix.With their current jobs I don't think they would want to do a TV series even though they would be perfect for that also they would have plenty of time during an off season to do a movie.I would love to see it happen.I'm also a big Terry Bradshaw AND Howie Long fan.
Expectedly updated, unexpectedly tolerable
Steve Pulaski17 November 2013
When a film's first sequel isn't made until thirty years after its original, one can faintly assume the project was a brainchild of desperate executes and equally desperate actors, both of whom in dire need of a paycheck. The Odd Couple II has "profit margin" and "modern comedy" written all over it, and plays drastically different instruments than the Gene Saks' film I regarded as "a masterwork of comedic timing and actors showcasing their energy and talents on screen." That film focuses its sites entirely on leisurely-paced, rather than the breathless array of antics and screwball comedy that many comedies of the time used.

So, what would you expect a sequel to the original Odd Couple film made in 1998 focus mostly on? As did I, sight-gags, comedy based on the inanity of events, and louder, broader instances of trouble rather than the quietly reserved humor based on dialog and setting that existed in the first film. To my surprise, however, was how much I liked The Odd Couple II. It's the definition of slight, doesn't do much in regards to a long-term impact, and it will certainly not be held by me as any masterwork. But as a final showcase of two amazing screen talents and the equivalent of a cinematic light-snack, I'll most certainly take it with a simple grin.

Lemmon and Matthau reprise their roles as the neurotic Felix and the often careless and messy Oscar, respectively, this time taking part on a road trip through the confusingly-named towns of California because Oscar's son is planning to wed Felix's daughter. When both men meet at the airport, this is their first sight of each other in seventeen years (or, since the events of the first film), and both haven't changed much at all. When we see Oscar still resides in a cluttered, messy home (only this time in Florida) playing poker with a new band, this time predominately older women, and Felix still uses his loud, obnoxious technique of clearing his sinuses as he is allergic to everything, we see that we, the audience, may have changed but these guys haven't.

After both take separate flights to California, they must get to San Malina in time for the big wedding. But after taking the completely opposite highway, losing their car, among a series of other events straight out of the unwritten book of road trip hijinks, the trip is made into an unbelievably long, convoluted state of affairs that test both men in ways they never thought possible.

Unsurprisingly, Lemmon and Matthau make the most out of this hit and miss material. Again, I was taken by their random conversations and simple talking points they'd bring up while walking aimlessly throughout the desert. I was amused by their snappy wordplay during calamitous instances. And finally, it was wonderful to see such energy among two great character actors. Here are two men just a few years away from their deaths and they're acting with more energy and vigor than those half their age. Consider Felix's tyrannical rant at Oscar in the desert before ultimately destroying their only means of transportation. I think I'd get winding trying to repeat that, but Lemmon does it with no hesitation.

Coming off of both Grumpy Old Men films, two pictures that still possess elements of escapism and realism, The Odd Couple II doesn't seem to quite hold up in that respect. The film plays like the second sequel to the series, but with more emphasis on screwball situations than conversational banter. I was kind of shocked when I saw writer Neil Simon wrote the film after writing the original picture to be the direct opposite from what this project would turn out to be. This only fuels my thoughts that this film was made for the money rather than the idea that more could be done with Felix and Oscar. The Odd Couple II provides for nice, passing entertainment (and works better than Lemmon and Matthau's previous effort Out to Sea), but it leaves one with the lingering question, "was it really necessary?"

Starring: Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. Directed by: Howard Deutch.
Nice heart warming comedy
Movie Guy26 April 2010
Firstly let me just say I love Walter Matthau his puppy dog face with his expressions and the lisp are funny, never mind him actually being funny as a person - jack lemon is OK but I think he relies heavily on other peoples performances, definitely not a lead actor but still good.

These actors are actually more entertaining the older they get but unfortunately they have both died not so R.I.P both of you, they will be missed.

I love this film and is one of the many films I've searched for with them together since I watched the terrific grumpy and grumpier old men. This is a good film because of the chemistry and there characters, the story is decent and the whole theme generally works very well. And I think for the aforementioned reasons that this is actually much better than the first one, good job guys!
Hugely Enjoyable light-hearted Sequel. ***1/2 out of *****
Celticnationalist19 July 2009
Oscar Madison (Walter Matthau) and Felix Ungar (Jack Lemmon) are reunited 30 years after the classic Original....

Oscar is still a Grumpy,Gambling Grouch....and Felix is still a fusspot allergic to everything - and both are reunited as they attempt to get to their Daughter and son's Wedding - but keep getting thwarted time after time by exploding rental cars, an elderly Car driver who dies on them, Redneck Husbands who end up kidnapping them and they end up getting arrested by the same despairing officer.

The Odd Couple 2 was the 10th and Sadly LAST Film to star both Matthau and Lemmon and was a Financial disappointment (It made less than $19M in it's entire U.S Theatrical run) and has been regarded as a mistake by many Critics (Professional and on IMDb)

Admittedly It doesn't reach the heights of the Original - But to be honest I can't see many people really expecting it to do so.

The Writing (again by Neil Simon) is Very Good and Matthau has loads of great one-liners sprinkled throughout delivered with his classic dead-pan charm, and both Matthau and Lemmon seem to be enjoying themselves.. Matthau was 77 & Lemon 72 at the time of Filming - so I guess This Movie was a 'Now or Never' project for them.

I won't say this was the BEST Movie I've ever seen, but it is a very enjoyable and pleasant movie to watch and it's great to see both stars, who are both no longer with us.

Sadly Matthau died two years later at the age of 79 and Lemmon died barely a year after Matthau at the age of 76.

***1/2 out of *****
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worth watching but not as good as the original.....
Maddyclassicfilms24 June 2009
The plot of this sequel sees Oscar and Felix reuniting after 20 odd years apart for the wedding of Oscars son to Felix's daughter.

The first half is practically a road movie with them travelling by car and Felix getting angry with Oscar for losing the directions,his suitcase and for getting lost out in the dessert.There are some hysterical moments especially the dead man the bird and the wig scene and Felix's suitcase rant.

Although I enjoyed this a lot I felt sad because they both look so old especially Walter and where are their poker friends?I can't be the only one who missed Murray and the guys.Not as good as the first one but a must see for how their story ends and what their like in their old age.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Different to, but just as funny as the original!
John (opsbooks)3 April 2005
Back in 1968, Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau teamed for the movie version of the Neil Simon stage hit, 'The Odd Couple'. Jack played the tidy and precise Felix (the basis, no doubt, for the latter-day Adrian Monk) while Matthew played the messy, baseball fanatic Oscar.

The movie under review teams the boys once again, 30 years later, for the impending marriage of their children. The action takes place in California rather than in New York and this time, it's a 'road' movie rather than a one-set play.

Surprisingly, it's a highly entertaining story with an excellent script which enables both of the boys to give full reign to their comic talents which have, if possible, improved over time! The supporting cast is fine but pushed somewhat into the background, not surprisingly. There are so many good scenes that one feels the need to watch the movie again quite soon, so I have no trouble in recommending it as a 'must see'.