IMDb > The Object of My Affection (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great Film!

Author: Watcher-37 from East Coast US
15 August 1999

Finally a truly great film from a star of TV's Friends. Jennifer Aniston is fantastic as a single woman who becomes pregnant and wants to raise the child with her roommate George, who is gay. Unfortunately for her, she ends up falling in love with him. This sets up what is a nonstandard ending to a romance movie, but the payoff is satisfying enough that you aren't in the least disappointed.

I loved this movie

Author: Red7Eric from Washington, DC
12 August 1998

I thought that this film was terrific. I read the book years ago, and actually thought that the movie was better. First of all, it makes more sense to look at the storyline from Nina's perspective, since she has much more at stake than George does. Secondly, the character played by Nigel Hawthorne was beautifully written and played, and he didn't even exist in the book. I also disagree with the assertion that George was "boring" in this movie. I thought that Paul Rudd gave a wonderful and moving performance, particularly at the Science Fair when he tells Nina how much he would love to be a father. Don't believe the critics -- give it a rental. It's a terrific film.

Never mind the critics. This movie is a must see.

Author: Daniel Dias Goi (mdias@mandic.com.br) from São Paulo, Brazil
3 October 1998

It's amazing how this sensitive film can be realistic all the time. Although this is, indeed, a love story, there's no need to give the viewer happy solutions just to make them fulfilled. Every second of the movie is real, every emotion, every fact. Justice to Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd. There's an amazing cast here, including Mad About You's John Pankow and veteran Alan Alda (all great) but the movie belongs to Jennifer and Paul. They make you think no one else could do a better portrait of Nina and George - they were born to do it. Anyone can relate to them at some point. Congratulations not only for the two, but also for the entire crew who made this movie - including, of course, the great sensibility of director Nicholas Hytner. A job well done.

Sensitive straight/gay romance pre-"Will & Grace"

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
19 August 2005

Despite a downright peculiar finish which gives new meaning to the term 'feel-good', "The Object of My Affection" is a careful, perceptive and insightful comedy-drama about a straight woman and her gay-male best friend living together. Keeping the obvious sex-jokes at bay, the movie strives to create three-dimensional people and works most of the time. This is due in large part to Jennifer Aniston, an easy presence on the screen. The set-up is pure formula, but the results are occasionally offbeat, squirrelly, sometimes funny and moving. Story thread with Nigel Hawthorne as an elderly gay man who gets dumped-on shows the casual cruelty inherent in gay relationships, and this is handled with quiet taste. Not everything works in "Affection", but it is remarkably pleasant and (for better or worse) hetero-friendly. *** from ****

chin up, young person!

Author: rivenrock from Australia
1 March 2006

They say you can't help who you love, and people have used that line forever to make terrible decisions about romance. This movie explores the idea that while you might not be able to help loving someone, you can still choose how you respond to that feeling. Choosing wisely is the difficult part! :) The characters (and not just the main characters - there are some great sub-plots and well-rounded side characters here) learn a lot about being realistic (and how & why that can be difficult) when it comes to romance. Many aspects of this theme are played out, and in more ways that you'd think just from reading the back of the DVD cover.

I highly recommend this if you like that class of chick flick that goes beyond the obvious to ponder some of the deeper questions about love and the things we do to find it, keep it, and occasionally break our hearts over it. Like other beautiful movies of this kind (eg, While You Were Sleeping, French Kiss) the comedy is fairly subtle and character-based.

All the elements are there: casting, direction, script (story and dialogue) and acting are all good. I hope you enjoy this movie as much as I did!

Entertaining, funny, and sad movie

Author: Adriane Simo (adriane7@mindspring.com) from chandler, az
26 July 1999

I especially liked the performance of Nigel Hawthorne in this movie as Rodney, the companion of a friend. Jennifer Aniston is delightful, and Paul Rudd is a treat as well. Jennifer and Paul have great chemistry together, and although the story is a bit sad, it is an entertaining and light comedy. Watch with someone you love!

The Object of My Affection is one of the finest films ever.

Author: emurray-2 from Los Angeles
21 February 2002

The Object of My Affection is a very realistic movie about a woman who finds a good-looking gay man attractive. Paul Rudd is particularly fine as the man who befriends Jennifer Aniston's character. She is very much disappointed in her old boyfriend's faithless attitude towards her. Paul Rudd's character is fun to be with and, even though they have no sexual encounters, they are both very good friends. Paul Rudd's character finds an attractive young man and falls in love. This upsets Jennifer Aniston's character. She should have seen it coming. The ending is quite wonderful in that all are able to remain good friends.

Very moving!

Author: Patrick Sullivan (sullivpj@sce.com) from Los Angeles, California
12 November 1998

Being a gay man myself and having had a similar relationship with a woman, I found the film very moving and beautifully done.

A well-crafted treat for fans of tales of the heart

Author: gijoe78 from Suffolk
1 December 2001

The Object of My Affection is rather heavily aimed at a gay audience - at least it seems that way to me. It retains quite a theatrical feel; there is always the feeling that the director is conscious this is a performance, and it's not given the "natural" or "polished" feel that accompanies so many Hollywood movies. Paul Rudd is perhaps just a little camp of centre for the role of George - he is supposed to be interested in the female lead, after all. However, it's a tricky balancing act, because if he becomes too convincingly involved, he becomes the bad guy, so it's perhaps just as well. Some very classy moments come from his deriding of ex lover Professor Joelly, and some great gay stereotypes are held up for examination along the way. Particularly amusing was Paul's blind date with the Village People wannabe ear nose and throat specialist, and of course, the incredibly self-serving Joelly. Perhaps surprisingly, the strongest performance of the piece comes from Friends star Jennifer Anniston. Struck by the love bug, she admirably portrays the lover in the bedroom next door, and I defy anyone not to be moved by her character's deepest lows. No review of this film would be complete without mention of Nigel Hawthorne, who very nearly steals the limelight from Anniston with his marvelously opinionated (but very likeable) literary critic, forced to share the love of his life. Simply put, he's brilliant. So why does The Object deserve a 10 in my opinion? In the end, the relationships in the movie don't come down to gay or straight, or anything one can label. They're honest to goodness relationships between people - and that's why there is an element of doubt as to who will end up where - at least part of the way through. That's why despite it's light feel, it has the ability to evoke some really deep feelings of tragedy in just the right places. It's everything you wouldn't expect, which is a wonderful breath of fresh air.

I loved it!!

Author: mandms-1 from Canada
20 January 2006

I was talking to my friend, and she mentioned this movie, and said she loved it, and thought I would too. I was flipping through the TV guide when I saw it was on at 7:00pm I was so excited.

I watched it with my Dad of all people, and then my Mom thought it looked good so she joined in, she quipped "I have seen this before in theaters back in 1997, it was fabulous and sweet"

I think the exact same thing, I will not leave a summary of the film because so many others have, but I have to say this one was different for me. I have no problem with Gay homosexual men, and this movie pulled on my heart strings a couple times and made me cry. I was nervous at first to see Jennifer Aniston in this role, because what if she didn't pull it off, and I was disappointed?? Well I wasn't I was blown away by her dramatic, yet uplifting, and funny performance.

If you haven't yet seen this movie, it is a "must see". it is also worth owning on DVD

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]