IMDb > Mulan (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mulan

Mulan More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A story of love and bravery

Author: georgiagirltia from US
2 February 2004

I think this movie is wonderful, it shows the love a girl has for her father and later a young man for whom she risks her life to save. It also shows how brave girls really can be. she went in her fathers place to keep him from being killed or hurt and that took much bravery

One of the Best Disney films ever!

Author: spacekat2001 from London, England
18 October 2003

Yes, Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture, and The Lion King and The Little Mermaid won two Oscars each, but how many kid's movies from any company -- or country for that matter -- have such a great message?

I loved Mulan for the characters, the script, the voices (this is one of the few movies Eddie Murphey has done that isn't completely asinine)...basically, I love every part of it.

This movie has definitely earned its place in the pantheon of great Disney animated features, and not only for its box office success and general entertainment and discussion value, but for the innovations in computer animation that almost inevitably accompany a Disney animated movie. Remember the attack of the Huns/Mulan's avalanche scene? The Huns in the charge are completely computer animated, as is the snow in the avalanche.

A surprisingly decent Walt Disney film

Author: jack-smales
29 September 2003

I and my sister are taught at home and we were doing a topic about China.My Mum said about seeing this film so we rented a copy from the library.I agreed to watching it,but to tell you the truth I was dreading it.I expected it to be like Aladdin,really iratating! BUT,I was so surprised.It was funny,witty and there was a good twist of Chinese culture.I read in a book that the Disney team went to China to do research for the film so that was good. Mulan was not your typical Disney heroine,she was likeable and you felt sorry for her. The songs were very enjoyable and so was the film.

Well done Disney:-)!

Great Movie!

Author: rrrisa_3 from Japan
27 September 2003

MULAN is a great movie which has many memorable characters and impressive scenes. The main character of this movie is an ancient Chinese girl who fights for her company instead of her old father, but it also has many interesting supportive characters. In particular, I like Mushu, a tiny dragon who travels with Mulan. He and two other animal characters---a cricket and a horse---make this serious story funny and enjoyable. their humor helps Mulan a lot to encounter a lot of difficulties and get over them. Mulan's brave behaviors encouraged me a lot. At the same time, Mushu's funny jokes entertained me a lot. I was moved many times and I also laughed over and over again when I saw this movie. Its music is also wonderful. In this movie, I enjoyed many grand, gentle, beautiful and pleasant scores. As a music-major student, I highly evaluate these scores. I love this movie and recommend it for many persons!

One of Disney's finest stories

Author: caamich from Southcentral Michigan, USA
11 July 2003

I saw this for the first time two nights ago, 5 years after its release in theaters. It had my heart strings being tugged, had me giggling, and, most importantly, it moved me. The music was beautiful, particularly the lyrics and music to the song that Mulan sings to herself ("Who Is This Girl I See"?). The lyrics are just as awesome an accomplishment as the melody of the song. The animation on Mulan and the Captain of the Imperial army was very lifelike. I could actually picture what the people might look like in real life. That's a first for me with a Disney animated feature. I was very impressed.

The only possible flaw I saw in this movie, not being an expert in East Asian culture, but knowing a little, is the way Mulan's family behaved when she returned from running away, even though they knew where she'd gone and what she'd done. I think, realistically, an East Asian family, particularly from that era, would not have behaved that way. I could be wrong.

Great Disney Movie with a Different Beat

Author: diamonds17 from Orlando
17 July 2002

After watching Mulan at a local movie theater with my family, I have to admit, I was amazed. I had seen previews for it on TV, and I was disappointed. I pictured Mulan as a dark, gloomy movie about war and fighting. Honestly, it was the opposite. With the hilariously clever Mushu and cute Cri-Kee, Mulan colorfully displayed a young girl, growing up, trying to find her way and prove she is worth something to her father and to herself.

Mulan is certainly not the typical, traditional Disney film...and I applaud it for that. Focused in Ancient China, it is about a young, ordinary girl. She is not a princess (Jasmine) and she is no extraordinarily beautiful woman falling in love (Pocahontas). She is just a young girl trying to save her father and trying to prove herself.

I admit to scrutinizing Mulan for not being about a princess and not being about romance, but because of that, it proves that a movie about people, ordinary people, can do well too. Mulan came at a time when Disney movies were not as appealing as they once were (The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules), but it revived the Disney scene anyway.

While I still say that the new classics, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King are the best films Disney has produced, with well-written storylines and amazing musical scores, Mulan is a wonder of its own. The lack of music was disappointing, but nonetheless, Mulan is a wonderful movie for families, especially young girls and their fathers.

Classic musical genre

Author: swankdaddy from Philadelphia, PA
4 December 2001

It seems that only Walt Disney has the ability to revive the movie musical. They follow a very basic track of movie plot, but that is expected when dealing with a musical. Great introductions of the characters, conflicts, and resolutions. It also joins the ranks of one of the few Walt Disney films where the main character's parents are both alive.

Whow!!! What a movie!

Author: aragonit from Canada
4 October 2001

This is the greatest of all Disney movies I ever saw (and I'm a big fan of Disney). The little dragon steals the show as mascot. Mulan trys to break out of the stereotype of her time and does it in an exceptionally interesting way.

I've been crying and lauging all the way through the movie. It is with Princess Mononoke, CTHD, Twin Warriors and Startrek TNG one of my all time favorites.

Pretty Good (7/10), and the characters don't break into song and dance.

Author: Jeremy Bristol from Plattsmouth, NE
5 June 2001

Except, they do still sing--as sort of narration for their emotions. The songs are highly unmemorable (as I sit here writing this, I can only remember the line, "I'll make a man out of you," which is from the very worst song ever including in a Disney film.

By the way, will Disney ever have a "training session" that will last more than a couple minutes and that isn't put to a song? They did that to this movie, Hercules, Tarzan (who also grew into an adult instantaneously), and Beauty and the Beast (in that Belle changes her mind about the Beast during a song).

One more really bad thing about Mulan--Mushu is a total hinderance. I'm not just talking about his pop-culture mouth (which someone should have popped), but that he in fact causes more problems than he solves. Would it really be so much to ask if Mulan could have made the mistake that "gave away our position," instead of having Mushu shoot off a rocket? At least that way, she's redeeming her own mistake, instead of someone elses, which gives no emotional payoff. Better yet, why not have the falcon find the line of troops--after all, that's what the falcon is for, right? It scouted earlier for the general's encampment and brought back the doll, remember?

Oh, and the cross-dressing thing at the end was a little too weird--a bit too Fushigi Yugi and not really very intelligent--do you honestly think that anybody would fall for that trick, even if they were really women (especially considering what the Monguls would have done).

The best parts of the movie were the references to Japanese cartoons (anime). When Mushu fries the feathers off of the falcon, it looks like a Chocobo from the Final Fantasy series, but is just as likely a reference to the horseclaws from Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (the director, apparently, is a devotee of Miyazaki). Another Nausicaa reference--the doll, which is similar to the one that Lord Yupa finds at the beginning of the Nausicaa movie (it crumbles, and Yupa says, "Another village has died."). Also, Mulan's hair is given incredible attention, which is not usually the case in Disney films (usually they're just pretty and blow in the wind). Just watch her hair when she bows in shame after they find out she's a she!

Beyond that, there is a good deal of emotional content, though once the possibility of execution is lifted (a life for a life), it is never mentioned again--even though the overseer, who really hated her, could have had her executed at a moments notice once she caught back up with them. And I'm sorry, but for all their knowledge and art, the Chinese were rather steadfast about their ways and about honor--they would not suddenly become so accepting of women, especially since they are still rather unaccepting of women.

dude, i loved this movie

Author: karina (kranky1025@aol.com) from athens, ga
23 October 2000

First I thought this movie was going to be dumb, but hey, I found myself laughing at the way Mulan thought a man acted like. Especially while trying to hide her affections for the captain. I think this movie goes along with the Lion King, Hercules, and the Little Mermaid in my book.