IMDb > Mulan (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mulan

Mulan More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A story of love and bravery

Author: georgiagirltia from US
2 February 2004

I think this movie is wonderful, it shows the love a girl has for her father and later a young man for whom she risks her life to save. It also shows how brave girls really can be. she went in her fathers place to keep him from being killed or hurt and that took much bravery

One of the Best Disney films ever!

Author: spacekat2001 from London, England
18 October 2003

Yes, Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture, and The Lion King and The Little Mermaid won two Oscars each, but how many kid's movies from any company -- or country for that matter -- have such a great message?

I loved Mulan for the characters, the script, the voices (this is one of the few movies Eddie Murphey has done that isn't completely asinine)...basically, I love every part of it.

This movie has definitely earned its place in the pantheon of great Disney animated features, and not only for its box office success and general entertainment and discussion value, but for the innovations in computer animation that almost inevitably accompany a Disney animated movie. Remember the attack of the Huns/Mulan's avalanche scene? The Huns in the charge are completely computer animated, as is the snow in the avalanche.

A surprisingly decent Walt Disney film

Author: jack-smales
29 September 2003

I and my sister are taught at home and we were doing a topic about China.My Mum said about seeing this film so we rented a copy from the library.I agreed to watching it,but to tell you the truth I was dreading it.I expected it to be like Aladdin,really iratating! BUT,I was so surprised.It was funny,witty and there was a good twist of Chinese culture.I read in a book that the Disney team went to China to do research for the film so that was good. Mulan was not your typical Disney heroine,she was likeable and you felt sorry for her. The songs were very enjoyable and so was the film.

Well done Disney:-)!

One of Disney's finest stories

Author: caamich from Southcentral Michigan, USA
11 July 2003

I saw this for the first time two nights ago, 5 years after its release in theaters. It had my heart strings being tugged, had me giggling, and, most importantly, it moved me. The music was beautiful, particularly the lyrics and music to the song that Mulan sings to herself ("Who Is This Girl I See"?). The lyrics are just as awesome an accomplishment as the melody of the song. The animation on Mulan and the Captain of the Imperial army was very lifelike. I could actually picture what the people might look like in real life. That's a first for me with a Disney animated feature. I was very impressed.

The only possible flaw I saw in this movie, not being an expert in East Asian culture, but knowing a little, is the way Mulan's family behaved when she returned from running away, even though they knew where she'd gone and what she'd done. I think, realistically, an East Asian family, particularly from that era, would not have behaved that way. I could be wrong.

Great Music

Author: ThatGirlLooksTasty from Berkeley, Earth
27 May 2003

When Roger Ebert reviewed this movie a while back, he said one of the movie's weak points was its lack of great tunes... he couldn't be further from the truth.

My favorite aspect of the movie was the music.

10/10 Just for the tunes!

Mulan kicks butt without wires!

Author: Fox in Socks from Staffordshire
11 July 2002

That's my background - grew up with Aristocats, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations etc but I've avoided stuff like Pocahontas and The Lion King like the plague because cutesy animals and horrible moralising have replaced wit and charm. So I gave Mulan a chance.

And I was really pleasantly surprised. Mulan manages to keep a reasonable flavour of Chinese/Hong Kong cinema without seeming patronising or watered-down. It's not too cute or fluffy and the villain is not even remotely camp or risible. He's just plain EVIL. Course the songs are sometimes naff, but I really loved Disney's take on the staple "kung fu boot camp" .

Even the romantic angle isn't too gloopy and soft focus, it just leaves you with a hint of a beginning.

Anyway for more cross-dressing martial arts heroines, check out Brigitte Lin's career.

Classic musical genre

Author: swankdaddy from Philadelphia, PA
4 December 2001

It seems that only Walt Disney has the ability to revive the movie musical. They follow a very basic track of movie plot, but that is expected when dealing with a musical. Great introductions of the characters, conflicts, and resolutions. It also joins the ranks of one of the few Walt Disney films where the main character's parents are both alive.

Whow!!! What a movie!

Author: aragonit from Canada
4 October 2001

This is the greatest of all Disney movies I ever saw (and I'm a big fan of Disney). The little dragon steals the show as mascot. Mulan trys to break out of the stereotype of her time and does it in an exceptionally interesting way.

I've been crying and lauging all the way through the movie. It is with Princess Mononoke, CTHD, Twin Warriors and Startrek TNG one of my all time favorites.

Wow.

Author: Shari from Canada
12 May 2001

Definitely one of my favourite Disney movies ever. It's always nice to see a female come to the rescue. And after Hercules, I'm glad that the villains in this movie were actually scary. A chill went down my spine during the mountain scene. And the ending was great too, not completely wrapping up the story like most Disney movies do. Excellent work.

dude, i loved this movie

Author: karina (kranky1025@aol.com) from athens, ga
23 October 2000

First I thought this movie was going to be dumb, but hey, I found myself laughing at the way Mulan thought a man acted like. Especially while trying to hide her affections for the captain. I think this movie goes along with the Lion King, Hercules, and the Little Mermaid in my book.