IMDb > Mulan (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mulan

Mulan More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Great Music

Author: ThatGirlLooksTasty from Berkeley, Earth
27 May 2003

When Roger Ebert reviewed this movie a while back, he said one of the movie's weak points was its lack of great tunes... he couldn't be further from the truth.

My favorite aspect of the movie was the music.

10/10 Just for the tunes!

Mulan kicks butt without wires!

Author: Fox in Socks from Staffordshire
11 July 2002

That's my background - grew up with Aristocats, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations etc but I've avoided stuff like Pocahontas and The Lion King like the plague because cutesy animals and horrible moralising have replaced wit and charm. So I gave Mulan a chance.

And I was really pleasantly surprised. Mulan manages to keep a reasonable flavour of Chinese/Hong Kong cinema without seeming patronising or watered-down. It's not too cute or fluffy and the villain is not even remotely camp or risible. He's just plain EVIL. Course the songs are sometimes naff, but I really loved Disney's take on the staple "kung fu boot camp" .

Even the romantic angle isn't too gloopy and soft focus, it just leaves you with a hint of a beginning.

Anyway for more cross-dressing martial arts heroines, check out Brigitte Lin's career.

Classic musical genre

Author: swankdaddy from Philadelphia, PA
4 December 2001

It seems that only Walt Disney has the ability to revive the movie musical. They follow a very basic track of movie plot, but that is expected when dealing with a musical. Great introductions of the characters, conflicts, and resolutions. It also joins the ranks of one of the few Walt Disney films where the main character's parents are both alive.

Whow!!! What a movie!

Author: aragonit from Canada
4 October 2001

This is the greatest of all Disney movies I ever saw (and I'm a big fan of Disney). The little dragon steals the show as mascot. Mulan trys to break out of the stereotype of her time and does it in an exceptionally interesting way.

I've been crying and lauging all the way through the movie. It is with Princess Mononoke, CTHD, Twin Warriors and Startrek TNG one of my all time favorites.

Wow.

Author: Shari from Canada
12 May 2001

Definitely one of my favourite Disney movies ever. It's always nice to see a female come to the rescue. And after Hercules, I'm glad that the villains in this movie were actually scary. A chill went down my spine during the mountain scene. And the ending was great too, not completely wrapping up the story like most Disney movies do. Excellent work.

dude, i loved this movie

Author: karina (kranky1025@aol.com) from athens, ga
23 October 2000

First I thought this movie was going to be dumb, but hey, I found myself laughing at the way Mulan thought a man acted like. Especially while trying to hide her affections for the captain. I think this movie goes along with the Lion King, Hercules, and the Little Mermaid in my book.

Another great Disney modern

Author: Mario Rodgers from San Antonio, TX
25 September 2000

Modern Disney is kind of a funny thing with me. Their formula, more or less, keeps getting recycled every single movie. Despite this, there are good modern Disney movies, and there are bad modern Disney movies. Yet even with the good ones, there is always some kind of funny aftertaste. Mulan is an example of a great modern Disney movie. I'll point out the good parts first and get to the funny aftertaste later.

First, this is a touching and dramatic story. Mulan is only the third Disney movie that was able to touch my heart, The Fox and the Hound and Bambi being the first and second. It is about a young woman's struggle to do what's right and save the life of her father, who for once is a caring but firm man and not some goofball like you see in some of the other Disney movies. This is also about her struggle to find identity, her struggle to persevere, her struggle to be like one of the men, and her struggle against the Hun army and the horrors of war.

Now the funny aftertaste. As usual, Disney insists on throwing in a comedic sidekick. While he is funny, it does get annoying sometimes. Some of the songs are good, but others are real snoozes. And Disney's modern formula still hasn't changed any. Disney also still insists on modernisms and pop culture.

Despite these flaws, which appear in practically all modern Disney movies, Mulan is still a great Disney movie with a strong story. This is one the family will enjoy over and over again.

My favorite Walt Disney animation

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
16 August 2008

There are some films you remember the exact day that you watched them for the first time because they had such an influence on you. I am certainly one of the people that enjoyed Mulan to a fuller extent than those who still thought it was great, because I think it is near perfect. The first time I watched Mulan I was simply overwhelmed by how much I fell in love with the heartwarming story, strong character of Mulan and the musical numbers. I still remember the place and time, and how I felt.

Of course, what is to be expected of Walt Disney animations? Most all of them offer some form of entertainment or positive influence on the viewers and have now for ages. The Disney renaissance was well needed and brought along a handful of lovable new installments. Mulan is just a film that I got carried away from beginning to end. My favorite scenes are the Match Maker, river and climax scenes. I also find the quote, "The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all," to be one of my many favorite quotes that are out there.

Anyway, if you were let down by Mulan, I strongly suggest giving it one more go. I teared up, chuckled and smiled through most of the movie and it was because it is an extremely well done animation that is probably my favorite of the Walt Disney classics and masterpieces line or even animation film in general. I really do love it that much.

Pure Disney magic

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
15 July 2006

MULAN, in my opinion, is pure Disney magic. If you ask me, what Mulan (voice of Ming-Na) did was absolutely brave. If my father were in the same situation, I'd probably do the same thing. I really enjoyed the music, especially "True To Your Heart," by 98 Degrees and Stevie Wonder. Also, I was surprised to see that Eddie Murphy was in this as the voice of Mushu. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone involved in this film did very well. Now, in conclusion, I highly recommend this film that's pure Disney magic to all of you who haven't seen it. You're in for a good time, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.

One of the best animated movies out there

Author: musicalfan from Philippines
26 March 2005

Mulan is my favorite animated movie. This is a true Disney gem that a person of any age will enjoy. Disney has truly outdone itself this time, it's too bad that Disney doesn't make traditional musical films like this anymore. It has a good storyline that keeps the audience interested. The backdrops are wonderfully drawn. The songs are memorable and entertaining, plus they're sung by two very good singers: Lea Salonga and Donnie Osmond. I'm so glad they got Jerry Goldsmith to score this movie. It's music is definitely its best asset (with an academy award nomination at its belt). No animated movie has spent so much time on my cd player and on my VHS set. This cartoon is truly worth watching.