IMDb > Mulan (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mulan

Mulan More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

One of the best animated movies ever. A "Best Picture" movie epic made as an animated feature.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
7 June 2007

My Take: Yet another Disney classic. Impressively animated and beautifully told.

Epics have always been one of Hollywood's most regular films during the golden age of film making. Epics are done in very high budgets, and at the time, one of the most astonishing. Another powerful Hollywood genre, is animation. It was powerful as well, that it earned an award slot in the Academy Awards ("Best Animated Feature").

What's great about "Mulan" is that it combines these to staples in Hollywood in one very satisfying movie. The film is based, as I've heard, on a poem about a typical village girl who, in favor of his father, joins the Imperial army on resent against the invading Huns. Disgused as a man named Ping, Mulan sets on an incredible journey, and finds herself changing the course of history forever. This movie interests me for the fact that it is done in great skill, as if the producers were making a live-action epic. The films moments of war matches the very moments of those on big-screen live-action epics. The score by Jerry Goldsmith, one of my favorite composers of all time, gives his best by providing the music, and of course it was great. But when Goldsmith scored this, he wasn't focusing on an animated movie score, but as if he was scoring, perhaps, a David Lean epic.

"Mulan" has always been one of my favorite animated movies. Perhaps, it may just be one of the best animated movies ever. A "Best Picture" movie epic made as an animated feature. If David Lean were to make an epic and threw in some first-rate musical numbers in, it would have been somewhere akin to MULAN.

Rating: ***** out of 5.

best thing that has ever happened to me

Author: (kira_chicka) from Canada
30 January 2007

This is the best thing that has ever happened to me since seeing The Fox and the Hound. The music makes me so happy inside and the Huns scare me so much and I'm 16! I just did my history exam today and part of the course was on the Huns and watching Mulan was like everything I had just learned. I LOVE THIS MOVIE and I want to watch it again tomorrow night! I love Captain Li too! He's basically the GREATEST of any of the male lead roles in Disney movies! Mushu makes me giggle and I did rewind (yes, my Mulan is on cassette NOT DVD) a few times when he said something funny. HAHAHHA. Like when he shows up for the first time and the horse steps on him. HAHAHHA. MULAN = AMAZING!

Opinion, a dish better served coldly.

Author: natasliah from United States
15 June 2006

I think that Mulan was excellent. For once, characters could roam around without frickin breaking out into song every five minutes. The one thing I hated about all the old Disney movies is that they were practically musicals. This movie probably had fewer songs than any other Disney flick at its time. And also, the songs were cute n' catchy, instead of overwhelmingly cute and sickening. I could actually watch this movie without the urge of just taking out the tape and loading it on a skeet shooter. Hahhahaha. I left this movie saying wow, I actually wouldn't mind watching it again. I recommend this movie for all to see!

A story of love and bravery

Author: georgiagirltia from US
2 February 2004

I think this movie is wonderful, it shows the love a girl has for her father and later a young man for whom she risks her life to save. It also shows how brave girls really can be. she went in her fathers place to keep him from being killed or hurt and that took much bravery

One of the Best Disney films ever!

Author: spacekat2001 from London, England
18 October 2003

Yes, Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture, and The Lion King and The Little Mermaid won two Oscars each, but how many kid's movies from any company -- or country for that matter -- have such a great message?

I loved Mulan for the characters, the script, the voices (this is one of the few movies Eddie Murphey has done that isn't completely asinine)...basically, I love every part of it.

This movie has definitely earned its place in the pantheon of great Disney animated features, and not only for its box office success and general entertainment and discussion value, but for the innovations in computer animation that almost inevitably accompany a Disney animated movie. Remember the attack of the Huns/Mulan's avalanche scene? The Huns in the charge are completely computer animated, as is the snow in the avalanche.

A surprisingly decent Walt Disney film

Author: jack-smales
29 September 2003

I and my sister are taught at home and we were doing a topic about China.My Mum said about seeing this film so we rented a copy from the library.I agreed to watching it,but to tell you the truth I was dreading it.I expected it to be like Aladdin,really iratating! BUT,I was so surprised.It was funny,witty and there was a good twist of Chinese culture.I read in a book that the Disney team went to China to do research for the film so that was good. Mulan was not your typical Disney heroine,she was likeable and you felt sorry for her. The songs were very enjoyable and so was the film.

Well done Disney:-)!

One of Disney's finest stories

Author: caamich from Southcentral Michigan, USA
11 July 2003

I saw this for the first time two nights ago, 5 years after its release in theaters. It had my heart strings being tugged, had me giggling, and, most importantly, it moved me. The music was beautiful, particularly the lyrics and music to the song that Mulan sings to herself ("Who Is This Girl I See"?). The lyrics are just as awesome an accomplishment as the melody of the song. The animation on Mulan and the Captain of the Imperial army was very lifelike. I could actually picture what the people might look like in real life. That's a first for me with a Disney animated feature. I was very impressed.

The only possible flaw I saw in this movie, not being an expert in East Asian culture, but knowing a little, is the way Mulan's family behaved when she returned from running away, even though they knew where she'd gone and what she'd done. I think, realistically, an East Asian family, particularly from that era, would not have behaved that way. I could be wrong.

Great Music

Author: ThatGirlLooksTasty from Berkeley, Earth
27 May 2003

When Roger Ebert reviewed this movie a while back, he said one of the movie's weak points was its lack of great tunes... he couldn't be further from the truth.

My favorite aspect of the movie was the music.

10/10 Just for the tunes!

Mulan kicks butt without wires!

Author: Fox in Socks from Staffordshire
11 July 2002

That's my background - grew up with Aristocats, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations etc but I've avoided stuff like Pocahontas and The Lion King like the plague because cutesy animals and horrible moralising have replaced wit and charm. So I gave Mulan a chance.

And I was really pleasantly surprised. Mulan manages to keep a reasonable flavour of Chinese/Hong Kong cinema without seeming patronising or watered-down. It's not too cute or fluffy and the villain is not even remotely camp or risible. He's just plain EVIL. Course the songs are sometimes naff, but I really loved Disney's take on the staple "kung fu boot camp" .

Even the romantic angle isn't too gloopy and soft focus, it just leaves you with a hint of a beginning.

Anyway for more cross-dressing martial arts heroines, check out Brigitte Lin's career.

Classic musical genre

Author: swankdaddy from Philadelphia, PA
4 December 2001

It seems that only Walt Disney has the ability to revive the movie musical. They follow a very basic track of movie plot, but that is expected when dealing with a musical. Great introductions of the characters, conflicts, and resolutions. It also joins the ranks of one of the few Walt Disney films where the main character's parents are both alive.